http://gamingtrend.com
July 23, 2014, 10:09:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just Finished: Psi-Ops  (Read 544 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: February 06, 2005, 01:12:28 AM »

Overall I'd rate the game a solid B.  If they make a sequel, I'll be on board.

The game is short (and for me to say that means that most gamers probably finished it in a day) but long enough to effectively showcase the awesome graphic effects and psychic powers.  I think the physics in this game may be the best I've ever seen.  Fabulous.

The cut scenes are pretty good as is the story, but with regard to the latter it seems that there were some holes.

Now for the gripes: Spoilers

1. Most of the boss battles require the same exact technique.  You TK until the thing is dead.  Would have liked to see a little variety

2. The levels with the psi mines were among the most frustrating I've ever played in any game.  People thought Ninja Gaiden was difficult?  I walked through that game without much effort but must have died 50 times on that psi mine level.  I was so HOT under the collar...

3. Why does every game these days have to have aliens of some sort in it?  I thought it was a cheap and annoying device.  I would have much preferred if they'd created another enemy trooper...  This peeve though extends to many games these days and I'd add it to Merrits things that annoy me about console gaming...though I don't think that it's just limited to consoles...

End gripey spoilers

Begin Ending discussion: Comparing PSi Ops  ending to Halo2.  Spoilers, natch.

For whatever reason I though the ending of this game was perfect.  The to be continued was effective and didn't make me feel cheated.  Why is that?  I dunno. It just seemed to fit...sort of like the ending of Spiderman 2.  It's a cheap gimic in many movies and games, but for Psi ops it worked.  With Halo2 I felt like the game shouldn't have ended yet.  I don't know what the difference is...

End End game spoilers.

If you like 3rd person action games, I'd heartily recommend it!
Thin_J
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2005, 07:30:14 AM »

Quote from: "ATB"
For whatever reason I though the ending of this game was perfect.  The to be continued was effective and didn't make me feel cheated.  Why is that?  I dunno. It just seemed to fit...sort of like the ending of Spiderman 2.  It's a cheap gimic in many movies and games, but for Psi ops it worked.  With Halo2 I felt like the game shouldn't have ended yet.  I don't know what the difference is...

With Psi-Ops, you get the big semi-difficult climactic battle with the big bad guy before it actually ends. The "To be continued" kind of involves the story moving in a whole new direction. The previous story is at least mostly finished.

You moved through the general's armies, and you killed him. That's pretty climactic since that was essentially the goal you were working towards for most of the game. They did a reasonable job concluding the current section of the story before whopping you with the "To be continued" message. Halo 2 honestly did not. It just stopped without any real resolution to any of the problems you were working to solve throughout the game.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: