http://gamingtrend.com
April 23, 2014, 07:31:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just Finished: Prince of Persia: Warrior Within  (Read 1148 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: April 17, 2005, 11:15:24 PM »

Some days back, when I first started this game I complained about the changes to combat, the darker edge, and the music.

As I settled into it though, it turnse out POP:WW is nearly as good as the original.  I gave SoT an "A+" and am giving this title an "A".  

The first was a sublime effort with great and personable story telling.

This game is 'edgier' as it were, but the story has plenty of twists that keep you waiting for the next revelation anxiously.

The level design in this game too is unsurpassed and it's amazing to think of the creative forces that came together to pull this thing off.

Combat still needs to be tweaked.  I was not one to complain about combat in the first game, but the 2nd just doesn't do it for me.  It tried to be Ninja Gaiden, but didn't.  The moves were cool, but I settled into using a few of the same moves over and over.

Other than that though, it gets the ATB seal of approval.  If you liked the first, you'll like the second.  If you could only play one though, I'd choose the original.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2005, 04:59:16 PM »

Well I want to play this now.  Interested in selling your copy ATB?
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2005, 05:03:25 PM »

Quote from: "leo8877"
Well I want to play this now.  Interested in selling your copy ATB?

No!  Cool
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2005, 05:51:29 PM »

Well it was worth a shot!  biggrin
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2005, 10:06:58 PM »

I got to some battle where you had to stop the b!tch from kicking the girl off the ledge she was clinging to and I could never beat that woman.  I tried and tried and tried and could never take her out.  So, I threw in the towel.  That's about as far as I got with SoT before giving up.  For some reason there is something about the combat in the game that I find simply impossible.  

Other than that I was loving it.  I would most definitely have played them to the end if they had some kind of cheat code to allow me to get past those impossible sections.  I just do not have those kind of reflexes.  Shame too since I think the concept, art, sound, and animations are just stunning to experience.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2005, 11:55:29 PM »

Quote from: "mikeg"
I got to some battle where you had to stop the b!tch from kicking the girl off the ledge she was clinging to and I could never beat that woman.  I tried and tried and tried and could never take her out.  So, I threw in the towel.  That's about as far as I got with SoT before giving up.  For some reason there is something about the combat in the game that I find simply impossible.  

Other than that I was loving it.  I would most definitely have played them to the end if they had some kind of cheat code to allow me to get past those impossible sections.  I just do not have those kind of reflexes.  Shame too since I think the concept, art, sound, and animations are just stunning to experience.

Augh! The story hadn't even developed yet!  But it's all for the best I guess because the battles get harder from there on out.  I can't remember if you have slow motion at that point, but that's a good technique...
The Rocketman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2005, 06:06:59 AM »

Yes, that battle is frustrating. And yes, there are a couple more like it. But really, the game hasn't even begun yet at that point smile

I used a cheap tactic that took a long time but worked fail-proof. It's something about blocking-blocking-blocking, jump over her, slash twice... or something like that.
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2005, 06:38:02 PM »

Hmm...finsihing this game.  Tough.  I stopped playing a while ago due to boredom with one of the mazes (where you have to turn the fountains to get the water flowing correctly).  And I can't bring myself to go back to it.  Any idea how much more I got?
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2005, 07:19:43 PM »

Quote from: "ElijahPrice"
Hmm...finsihing this game.  Tough.  I stopped playing a while ago due to boredom with one of the mazes (where you have to turn the fountains to get the water flowing correctly).  And I can't bring myself to go back to it.  Any idea how much more I got?

That maze is actually pretty easy if you put your mind to it.  As to your question, you've got quite a ways to go...
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2005, 07:47:36 PM »

Quote from: "ElijahPrice"

It depends. Did you do the Clock Tower first or the gardens first? If you did the Clock Tower already you're probably in the last third of the game. If not, you've got a long way to go.

Yeah, I also have to agree somewhat with ATB regarding Warrior Within. If you could get beyond the terrible music and the god-awful "attitude", the platforming elements were fantastic. The only other issue I had was that the story is completely non-sensical, and it gets really repetitive at the end. Even though its a lot weaker than the Sands of Time it's still worth playing for platforming fans.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2005, 06:55:18 AM »

Just restarted this myself a few days ago and I'm just over halfway through.  

Its definitely a quality game and objectively I think it improves in several areas over its predecessor.  Primarily combat.  Its not great but I do think its better than the first one and my favorite aspect of it is no more respawning waves- my chief annoyance in the first.  If the respawning waves in Sands of Time were removed I'd proclaim it the perfect game (as it is its damn near perfect).  In Warrior Within, I can generally dispatch most enemies pretty quickly and there spread out more so I think platforming really becomes more of a focus.

What's missing in Warrior Within is polish which was so abundant in Sands of Time.  Little things like the menu screen with the Prince entering the balcony door, the way Farrah would react and comment on your actions, night gradually transforming to day, etc.  Plus, WW has some bugs, primarily on the audio side.  I've had ambient noises drop out quite a bit and once had the entire voice track completely drop out during a cutscene requiring a replay of that sequence.

The other thing in WW I'm not too big a fan of is the production design.  Everything is so dank, dismal, and dreary its almost depressing to play.  I don't mind dark but this is different.  God of War was dark but it also had tons of variety in architecture and color palette.  In Sands of Time each area was very unique while in WW I find everything just kind of blending together.

Still, the platforming is excellent and the PoP engine is just a sight to behold.  

I'm actually a little optimistic about the forthcoming PoP 3.  What little that has been released seems to indicate that its still dark, but not gothic and full of angst.  It will take place in Babylon which should provide some nice variety of scenery.
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2005, 08:33:58 PM »

Quote from: "Andrew Mallon"

It depends. Did you do the Clock Tower first or the gardens first? If you did the Clock Tower already you're probably in the last third of the game. If not, you've got a long way to go.

Yeah, I finished clock tower I believe.  I definitely enjoyed the game too.  The main theme riff actually started to grow on me.  Never enjoyed the combat though and I think it will be tough to ever really make it enjoyable.  But the platforming is well done but could be more "beautiful" I guess.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2005, 10:06:07 PM »

The game is flat-out awful IMO. Good platforming in some instances, abysmal platforming in others, "attitude" out the ass, bad music that is bad by itself but when it's misplaced bad music, that takes it to a new level, rampant sexism compared to the more naturalistic sexuality of the first game, and on and on and on. Pardon my language, but Warrior Within is fucking awful. It's like UbiSoft listened only to the 5 most retarded fanbois who all screamed at the tops of their lungs, "Give me unlockables! Give me giant, unreal, digitized breasts! Give me gore! AHHH!!!"

Ludicrous decisions on UbiSoft's part. From a personal viewpoint, they should be ashamed of themselves for Warrior Within. Even more so when compared to the wonder of The Sands of Time. Embarrasing. :evil:

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
WestNile
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2005, 02:36:58 AM »

Hmm.. Maybe I should hope that they decide to not do a Beyond Good & Evil 2?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: