http://gamingtrend.com
September 21, 2014, 04:22:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just Finished: MGS2. !!!WOW!!!  (Read 1118 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: June 05, 2006, 02:07:43 AM »

Yep, there's another thread, but I just finished it and wanted a new one.

Masterful storytelling at its best.

Excelelnt character development

Amazing plot twists

Amazing plot twists

Well thought out storylines that converge magnificently.

Excellent drama

Amazing emotional manipulation of the player (I got chills at one point)

Fabulous.

MGS2 is a true masterpiece.

Good variety in the gameplay (sniper missions, sneaking, boss battles, sword fights, naked sneaking (!))

All around awesome.  I have three all set to go and may fire it up tomorrow.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 02:22:42 AM »

I thought it was weird.
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 02:27:20 AM »

I need to give 2 a go.

3 is really, really good to.

Basically everything you said about 2 is how I felt about 3. Very deadly games.

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006, 03:10:23 AM »

Quote from: "ATB"
All around awesome.  I have three all set to go and may fire it up tomorrow.

TML can back me up on this, but just be warned that MGS3 can seem a bit jarring at first when you are used to the first two games.  The differences may seem subtle at first, but they are actually quite substantial and it may take several hours to get your bearings.  Be sure to read the help files in the game (under Extras  or something) to fully acquaint yourself with all of the new options and differences.  When it finally sinks in, I think you'll find it is the best one yet.

Also, hope that you are playing the Subsistance re-release.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2006, 03:12:28 AM »

I tried MGS 2 (loved the first one) and it was ok for a while and then all of a sudden something big happens and I'm playing as someone else!  After that I quit.  That was a couple years ago i think.  Maybe I should go back and give it another try.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2006, 06:49:37 AM »

3 is the best IMO....number 2 was good...but got a bit out of it at the end...i mean...really out of it

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
only1
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2006, 07:20:59 AM »

okay... I got stuck years ago and kinda stopped playing years ago as I got into other games.  I remember I was stuck on trying to get  into that middle section.  you have to dress up as one of the guards and you have to carry one of their rifles... but I just can't find one of the rifles... so... stuck... never finished...

"Beer- the cause of, and solution to, all of lifes little problems."
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2006, 12:26:11 PM »

Also, hope that you are playing the Subsistance re-release.

Yep!

i mean...really out of it

It did get a little preachy, but I loved the interactions between Solidus and Jack.  The final battle was great too.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2006, 01:24:24 PM »

i mean...really out of it

It did get a little preachy, but I loved the interactions between Solidus and Jack.  The final battle was great too.

'preachy'? That's putting it nicely. That and the whole 'what is real and what is not', 'why am I naked', and 'what the heck is going on in my mind with my com system'.

I stick by with what I said in warning's link - great game, absolutely horrible ending that ruins how good the game was in the first place.

However, as the saying goes - everybody is entitled to their own thoughts. Glad to hear you loved the game.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
madpeon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2006, 02:38:04 PM »

As voiced above, play MGS3 right now (if you haven't already).

I thought it was light years ahead of MGS2 in terms of story and character development. Plus the themes/general message was alot more appealing to me than the one in MGS2. Also, it provides a bit of explanation for the story in MGS2 by giving you details on some characters/organizations.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2006, 03:07:30 PM »

metal gear solid is one of 2 reasons why i am still gonna buy a PS3(eventually)

wish number 4 would come out on other machines...seems a bit odd how they are scattered all over the 3 main machines..sony being the one they all appear...but then again,KONAMI have done the same with silent hill(nintendo losing out on that franchise)silent hill 2 and 4 being on the xbox while sony again got all of them on their machines

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2006, 03:26:39 PM »

I absolutely loved the original MGS back on the PS1, but never could get into any of the sequels.  I've actually purchased MGS2 on 3 seperate occasions, and never get more than 4-5 hours in before getting bored.  I do need to retry MGS 3, as I only gave it a couple hours before getting controller-throwingly frustrated and giving up.

Glad you liked it though.  Wish I could find a game that still gives me 'wow' feeling.  frown

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2006, 03:42:01 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
TML can back me up on this, but just be warned that MGS3 can seem a bit jarring at first when you are used to the first two games.  The differences may seem subtle at first, but they are actually quite substantial and it may take several hours to get your bearings.  Be sure to read the help files in the game (under Extras  or something) to fully acquaint yourself with all of the new options and differences.  When it finally sinks in, I think you'll find it is the best one yet.

This man speaks the truth.

Much like what I did, a straight MGS2->MGS3 transition, you're going to have to re-learn everything from the ground up.  It's quite different...but ultimately, way more rewarding.  Before I got to my battle with The End, I didn't fully appreciate how masterfully crafted MGS3 was.

That battle changed my outlook on gaming, to be honest.  But enough of that.

Just remember it can be sort of frustrating, the jump from MGS2->MGS3, but stick with it.  

And to chime in on MGS2, I loved playing through it.  I would probably have been disappointed if I went from MGS3 to MGS2, but I'm glad you're going in the right direction, ATB.  I plan on firing up MGS2 here real soon actually, and I'm curious to see how I'll enjoy it after playing MGS3.

TheMissingLink on PSN
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2006, 01:35:05 AM »

You guys weren't kidding.  Man, it's a whole new ballgame.

I like the new innovations, but I hate that first person view is now mapped to the R1 instead of the L1.  Maybe that will make it easier.

Otherwise, I'd say that this indeed is a steep learning curve over the previous two (though I still hit the wrong buttons all the time in MGS2).

I'm 1.5 hrs in and have just encountered my first enemy troop (i listened to EVERYTHING anyone had to say) just in time to shut it off so my wife could watch apprentice. Tongue  Here's to tomorrow!
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2006, 02:06:39 AM »

I like the new innovations, but I hate that first person view is now mapped to the R1 instead of the L1.  Maybe that will make it easier.

?

R1 was first person view in MGS2 also.  Just checked the instruction manual to be sure.

The most important tip I have for MGS3- The D-Pad is *not* the same as analog control.  Unlike MGS2, even if you are creeping with the analog stick you will be detected by the enemy before you close on him.  You have to use the D-Pad to "stalk" which is completely silent movement but does drain your stamina.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2006, 04:39:51 AM »

I hardly ever crawled in MGS2.

That is definitely not the cause in MGS3.  Crawling + d-pad sneaking = essential.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: