http://gamingtrend.com
April 17, 2014, 09:55:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just Finished: Fable  (Read 688 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: October 06, 2005, 12:41:14 PM »

In my world famous thread of a few weeks back I stated that it was one of the most fun games I'd played this gen.

Well, the polish is off and though I give it a B+, it ended up not being as great as I had hoped.

I finished it in just under 11 hours (which is a good length for me) and enjoyed all but the final hour or so.

My biggest complaint is that it was far too easy.  The character you create is pretty much king of the world and even the final boss can't really do much against you.

The ending was also anti climactic.  That was the choice?  

One question: Is there more story after the credits?  I got a bad disk error as I was waiting and didn't want to deal with it again.

So overall, it was great fun at first.  Got very engaging towards the middle and then ended up as a 'I'm going to finish it just to finish it' for me.

I'd still recommend it, but with caution. I would be willing to play a sequel though!

Mid game spoiler.  Something that should have happened but didn't:

Spoiler for Hiden:
In the arena, when you choose to kill Willow or not, that should come back and have major impact on the rest of the story.  However, as far as I can tell you never hear from her again. What a waste of a potential story line.

Questions for those who completed the game entirely <minor spoilers>:

1. What was the treasure at the end of the clue maps?
2. What do you get if you get all the dolls?
3.  Is the sword in the stone any good?
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2005, 12:51:47 PM »

If you have Lost Chapters there is more story after the credits, but if you have regular Fable there is not.  The credits ended up being longer than the game anyway slywink

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2005, 02:05:56 PM »

Quote from: "ATB"
So overall, it was great fun at first.  Got very engaging towards the middle and then ended up as a 'I'm going to finish it just to finish it' for me.

I'd still recommend it, but with caution. I would be willing to play a sequel though!

That sums up my feelings exactly.  I also thought the end was a huge letdown, and the last hour or so really took the shine off what had been a fantastically fun game.

I will be picking up The Lost Chapters for X-Box when it comes out.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2005, 02:44:44 PM »

I'm actually kind of dissapointed with the Lost Chapters.  I enjoyed the original Fable for all 10 hours of the experience, it just went by so quick.  With the Lost Chapters they really didn't touch the original story at all.  I was expecting to see a lot of new weapons and armor, but nope, not during the original story. I was still stuck with the same will user robes>leather armor>chainmail>platemail from the original game.  The weapons were the same too.  I just started the actual expansion content the other night, so I'm hoping I'll run into some new armor or weapons there.

Because they did add in several new sidequests, I found that my character was even more powerful by the original final battle than before!  Several hours before the final battle he was already maxed out in:  accuracy, speed, guile, magic power, multi-arrow, slow time, force push, health, and toughness.  It was a cakewalk.  Heck even the arena battle with no rest was a cakewalk, and I remember that being a little tough with the original game.

I did find 1 new hat that I don't think was in the original game, the pimp hat.  But then I don't remember the darkwoods brothel being in the original game either.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2005, 05:41:07 PM »

Quote from: "ATB"
In my world famous thread of a few weeks back I stated that it was one of the most fun games I'd played this gen.

Well, the polish is off and though I give it a B+, it ended up not being as great as I had hoped.

I finished it in just under 11 hours (which is a good length for me) and enjoyed all but the final hour or so.

My biggest complaint is that it was far too easy.  The character you create is pretty much king of the world and even the final boss can't really do much against you.

The ending was also anti climactic.  That was the choice?  

One question: Is there more story after the credits?  I got a bad disk error as I was waiting and didn't want to deal with it again.

Mid game spoiler.  Something that should have happened but didn't:

Spoiler for Hiden:
In the arena, when you choose to kill Willow or not, that should come back and have major impact on the rest of the story.  However, as far as I can tell you never hear from her again. What a waste of a potential story line.

Questions for those who completed the game entirely <minor spoilers>:

1. What was the treasure at the end of the clue maps?
2. What do you get if you get all the dolls?
3.  Is the sword in the stone any good?

Spoiler for Hiden:
If you try to woo Lady Grey, then you have to go head to head with Thunder, and your killing of willow comes up alot there. Aside from that...bleah.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2005, 08:16:03 PM »

So I finished the Lost Chapters two days ago. My thoughts are very mixed.

On the positive side, Fable has good graphics, good sound, and good presentation. It's pretty funny and clever at times. The story had potential. The combat is fun at first, and the powers and magic are all pretty cool. All in all, I enjoyed the game and might grade it a B, but it has plenty of flaws.

Negative:
1. Generally super linear. While there are a number of semi-interesting optional quests, they are standard fare, without much story or anything else of interest to make you do them. The main story quests are good, but super linear as well, and the game is short.
2. The combat starts out fun, and while there are some neat tricks with some of the powers (And some magic is very cool), the combat eventually becomes mostly button mashing boredom. In fact, my mouse button is a little damaged now from all the Fable clicking, I kid you not. Overall, fun but very simple.
3. The biggest problem with Fable is not the length or the combat or the story, its the simplicity. It really is RPG lite, and for some people that is going to be A-Ok. But do not go into it thinking anything else. It's very simple, not very challenging, and although it tries, its not deep at all.

The Lost Chapters content is also a complete joke. From what I saw there were basically no new weapons, no new armor, no interesting new items, nothing. There were maybe 2 new optional quests (they could have been leftovers from the original game), and the main story quests are even more linear than most of the original, and less interesting to boot. I would guess that it took no more than 2.5 hours for the additional content, and the whole game took me about 14 hours with reloads.

So yeah, satisfied with the experience, will definately play a sequel, but not that impressed overall.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: