http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 11:41:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just Cause  (Read 3507 times)
EngineNo9
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« on: September 30, 2006, 07:20:57 AM »

I finally tracked down a copy of Just Cause for the 360 after work tonight and I've played it for a few hours.  So far I have to say that it doesn't disappoint at all, although it should be noted that I did enjoy the demo once I got used to it. 

I have to say that the game is just gorgeous on a huge scale.  From swimming under water to stealing a chopper and witnessing the massive island vistas it is very beautiful.  Everything is super colorful, the draw distance is way far and I haven't noticed any real pop-in even when going from the ground straight up in a helicopter and back down. 

Beyond doing a lot of exploring and checking everything out (you can go anywhere from the start it looks like) I have done a few of the main quests and helped the revolutionaries free some townships and did some side quests to gain respect with them and gained access to another safe house. 

There are also a number of package collection side quests you can do at any time (similar to GTAIII, except there are a number of quests with 10 packages spread either near or wide) andI've completed a couple of these.  The nice thing is that they show up as dots on your minimap when you are near them, the annoying thing is that on my relatively tiny 20" screen it can be hard to spot them on the ground sometimes since the "glow" around them is small. 

I really like the fact that you can use your PDA thingy to jump to a safe house or call down a vehicle via Heavy Drop any time you want.  It certainly helps when you've just trashed your vehicle and aren't near another one or don't want to steal one.  To start with you can only call in a dirt bike, but later you can call for cars, boats, etc. 

Also, it may just be my imagination, but it seems as if the vehicles are a bit less touchy and don't slide around as much as in the demo.  The game is also much more forgiving than the GTA games when it comes to driving up high-grade terrain and if you can't get a car up it chances are you can run up it.  This is nearly necessary considering how hilly the game is, and it eliminates a lot of frustration and wasted time trying to find a path. 

I do still have trouble figuring out which button to press to do a certain action since they become context sensitive and even though it pops up on the screen to "Hit 'Y' to Exit Vehicle" etc I can never seem to remember the right button.  Maybe with time I will become less of a spaz, but it just seems like they aren't quite intuitive enough. 

Viva la revolucion!  icon_biggrin  Seriously, I can't be the only one that's enjoying this game, right? 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2006, 12:21:46 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on September 30, 2006, 07:20:57 AM

I finally tracked down a copy of Just Cause for the 360 after work tonight and I've played it for a few hours.  So far I have to say that it doesn't disappoint at all, although it should be noted that I did enjoy the demo once I got used to it. 

I have to say that the game is just gorgeous on a huge scale.  From swimming under water to stealing a chopper and witnessing the massive island vistas it is very beautiful.  Everything is super colorful, the draw distance is way far and I haven't noticed any real pop-in even when going from the ground straight up in a helicopter and back down. 

Beyond doing a lot of exploring and checking everything out (you can go anywhere from the start it looks like) I have done a few of the main quests and helped the revolutionaries free some townships and did some side quests to gain respect with them and gained access to another safe house. 

There are also a number of package collection side quests you can do at any time (similar to GTAIII, except there are a number of quests with 10 packages spread either near or wide) andI've completed a couple of these.  The nice thing is that they show up as dots on your minimap when you are near them, the annoying thing is that on my relatively tiny 20" screen it can be hard to spot them on the ground sometimes since the "glow" around them is small. 

I really like the fact that you can use your PDA thingy to jump to a safe house or call down a vehicle via Heavy Drop any time you want.  It certainly helps when you've just trashed your vehicle and aren't near another one or don't want to steal one.  To start with you can only call in a dirt bike, but later you can call for cars, boats, etc. 

Also, it may just be my imagination, but it seems as if the vehicles are a bit less touchy and don't slide around as much as in the demo.  The game is also much more forgiving than the GTA games when it comes to driving up high-grade terrain and if you can't get a car up it chances are you can run up it.  This is nearly necessary considering how hilly the game is, and it eliminates a lot of frustration and wasted time trying to find a path. 

I do still have trouble figuring out which button to press to do a certain action since they become context sensitive and even though it pops up on the screen to "Hit 'Y' to Exit Vehicle" etc I can never seem to remember the right button.  Maybe with time I will become less of a spaz, but it just seems like they aren't quite intuitive enough. 

Viva la revolucion!  icon_biggrin  Seriously, I can't be the only one that's enjoying this game, right? 

I find that the police SUVs are still a little slidey, but overall, yea, I'm enjoying the game too. smile  I'm only about an hour in, but so far so good!

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2006, 03:58:15 PM »

Yeah, the pickup trucks can be a bit crappy to drive too, which may be where I got the impression in the demo.  And when you start helping the rebels take over safe houses, some of the vehicles you unlock are quite fast but harder to control (like the import-tunerish one, whatever it's called). 

JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2006, 04:06:39 PM »

I believe they where trying to achieve reality with driving on the dirt roads. The way cars will slide and fish tail is exactly what you get on the dirt roads. They should have tweaked it for the asphalt drive because it is a bit frustrating.

The game so far is a lot of fun. feel like a fast pace mercenaries Columbia style.

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ()  ()  ()
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ()  ()  ()
PS3 Spinks
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2006, 04:24:32 PM »

oh yeah,i am loving this,on mission 17 at the moment

i have witnessed a few bugs though...but nothing that serious

remember the bond film..'you only live twice'?...remember 'little nellie' the one man/one seat small helicoptor?..well i now have a similar helicoptor to call on from my PDA now

some achievements have been easy(most wanted for 1,2 and 5 minutes),some quite hard(1000 base jump)

just wish that the story was bigger...i havent been on it for nearly a week(havent had time)...but i do know that there are only 21 story missions..and with the rate you go through the misisons that are quite easy...may not last for long with the hard core...although as said,there are plentiful side missions to do

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Pharaoh

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2006, 06:41:13 PM »

Has anyone had this crash constantly?

I dont know whats going on, but the same Mission (Kill the Police Chief/Escape by Boat) has locked up the Xbox 4 times in a row, and when it finally did work, the mission to liberate the city of Los Victorlaes locked up my system when I captured the flag. I Really want to like the game, but I won't even bother if its going to keep acting like it was programmed by a 5 year old with downs.

ANy suggestions or is this a common problem?
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2006, 06:50:02 PM »

Hmm, I haven't had any lock-up problems yet.  Are you playing the original XBox or the 360? 

Quote from: Pharaoh on September 30, 2006, 06:41:13 PM

I dont know whats going on, but the same Mission (Kill the Police Chief/Escape by Boat) has locked up the Xbox 4 times in a row, and when it finally did work, the mission to liberate the city of Los Victorlaes locked up my system when I captured the flag. I Really want to like the game, but I won't even bother if its going to keep acting like it was programmed by a 5 year old with downs.

Hmm, I haven't had any lock-up or crash problems yet.  Are you playing the original XBox or the 360? 

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2006, 07:14:48 AM »

So I've been doing a lot of the Liberation side missions and I'm curious about something.  When you start these missions there are Bonus objectives to destroy along the way (crates of coca, weapons caches or police stations) marked by black dots on the minimap.  What is th actual bonus is for destroying those things?  Maybe I'm just not paying attention and it's giving me faction prestige as I destroy them but I haven't noticed any bonuses after completing the Liberation. 

I've also had a few times where I was unable to destroy one of those bonus crates no matter what I throw at it and that is annoying since once you liberate the settlement you don't get the chance to reset it or try again. 

metallicorphan, for the 1000m base jump did you go off one of the mountains for that or what?  So far I haven't really found one that is adequately high and has a steep enough drop so I can angle out before hitting the parachute. 

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2006, 12:02:42 PM »

Quote from: Pharaoh on September 30, 2006, 06:41:13 PM

ok,first of all...there is a mission that was quite a bastard,where you had to blow up a power plant..all the army are after you..it took me quite some time to kill them and blow up the power plant,then you have to move further up to another point..at this place...my 360 locked up...so i had to re-start it all....(i then finished the level)

for the 1000 base jump...there is a safe house up in the mountains called the eagles nest...........it took me a while but if you find the right place to jump,thats where you can get your 1000 base jump achievements....as soon as you jump(if in the right place)pull back on the analogue stick,otherwise you just go face first into the side of the mountain...i got to a plave falling where i continue to fall through a canyon/valley...and thats how i got the achievement...but it did take me a while to find the right spot

as for the collect missions,they also unlock achievements,same with a certain number of liberations(classed as side missions)

Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2006, 04:24:07 PM »

I think we are picking this up today or tomorrow.  The demo was a fantastic hit around here, and for $39, I can't resist.  The kids will contribute their own funds to this adventure.  For the PC of course.

Oddly enough, 2 guys IRL I know have it for their Xbox360's and are giving it favorable reports, yet the reviews out there are HAMMERING it.  Whats going on?

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2006, 04:58:03 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on October 01, 2006, 12:02:42 PM

for the 1000 base jump...there is a safe house up in the mountains called the eagles nest...........it took me a while but if you find the right place to jump,thats where you can get your 1000 base jump achievements....as soon as you jump(if in the right place)pull back on the analogue stick,otherwise you just go face first into the side of the mountain...i got to a plave falling where i continue to fall through a canyon/valley...and thats how i got the achievement...but it did take me a while to find the right spot

I unlocked The Eagle's Nest late last night and did try diving off it a couple times but couldn't get far enough away from the mountain without hitting the parachute for a couple seconds.  I will have to try again a few more times. 

Kobra, I think with the more negative reviews it's a case of being annoyed by the shortcomings of the game or what it isn't rather than being entertained by what it is, a light-hearted action game in a wide-open world.  To each their own, but it's certainly been eating up my weekend. 

Clay

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2006, 02:35:56 PM »

Has anybody played the PS2 or XBox version of this?  I really want to pick it up but I don't have a 360.

xbox live: nude rick james
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2006, 03:13:41 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on September 30, 2006, 04:24:32 PM

some achievements have been easy(most wanted for 1,2 and 5 minutes)

Those achievements were ridiculously easy.  I got to level 5 on the wanted level and all they keep on sending are regular police cars and the occasional armored van, each with only 2 cops in them?  I was in a valley at the time, so the helicopters they sent kept on crashing into the hills.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2006, 05:22:24 PM »

Clay a lot of the reviews are saying those versions (especially the ps2) aren't that great. One of the reviews said the ps2 version made it hard to see in the distance, maybe because of the lack of power the ps2 has.

Agreed the 360 version looks nice. It's amazing how HUGE this world is, grand theft auto is like one block in this world. It seems to go on forever, and it never stops looking good.
My only problem is that my LCD must be a little laggy because I'm getting too much motion blur and it's giving me a headache! (Thus, it just went into the trading section.)

One nice feature that neither Saints Row nor GTA had (at least often) was how the NPCs are often fighting eachother in here. Sometimes you'll see the military and police fighting some type of street gang(s), running behind cars and lobbing grenades at the other guys, and then if you get in the middle of it you're fair game too. I ended up getting in the middle of it and taking out a couple of cops and next thing I know I've got tons of them coming after me. Jumped on a motorcycle and sped down a never-ending road past tiny villages on the ocean doing my best do dodge all the police and military vehicles trying to stop me.

Real good game, but if you have an older LCD (16ms or higher probably) you may want to try renting it first just to make sure you don't get the same problem I did, no other game does this.. it looks like it has so much potential and could be so much fun, but I'm not risking it at getting headaches from it.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2006, 06:25:12 PM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on October 03, 2006, 05:22:24 PM

Clay a lot of the reviews are saying those versions (especially the ps2) aren't that great. One of the reviews said the ps2 version made it hard to see in the distance, maybe because of the lack of power the ps2 has.

Agreed the 360 version looks nice. It's amazing how HUGE this world is, grand theft auto is like one block in this world. It seems to go on forever, and it never stops looking good.
My only problem is that my LCD must be a little laggy because I'm getting too much motion blur and it's giving me a headache! (Thus, it just went into the trading section.)

One nice feature that neither Saints Row nor GTA had (at least often) was how the NPCs are often fighting eachother in here. Sometimes you'll see the military and police fighting some type of street gang(s), running behind cars and lobbing grenades at the other guys, and then if you get in the middle of it you're fair game too. I ended up getting in the middle of it and taking out a couple of cops and next thing I know I've got tons of them coming after me. Jumped on a motorcycle and sped down a never-ending road past tiny villages on the ocean doing my best do dodge all the police and military vehicles trying to stop me.

Real good game, but if you have an older LCD (16ms or higher probably) you may want to try renting it first just to make sure you don't get the same problem I did, no other game does this.. it looks like it has so much potential and could be so much fun, but I'm not risking it at getting headaches from it.

before you start the game there is an option to turn off the motion blur(i havent tried to look for the option during the game)

corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2006, 06:57:49 PM »

LOL you're right.. there is an option called "Motion Blur" (On/Off) in the video settings menu.
Was starting to get a little worried because I just got my HDTV (16ms) and already motion blurring on it?!

Thanks for pointing out that as that completely changes my outlook on the game - highly recommended.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2006, 01:36:10 AM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on October 03, 2006, 05:22:24 PM

Heh, that is a neat thing.  I don't know how many times I've heard a sirent or seen bullets fly by and thought "Ah shit, the cops!" and then looked up to see that my wanted level is zero and it's somebody else getting shot at.  icon_smile

I'll agree that some of the Achievements are pretty easy, but also notice that some are only worth 5 or 10 points.  You can check them all out here.  I have yet to be able to get the damnable 1000m base jump.  I can't even break 400.  I either end up face-planting half-way down the mountain or using my parachute.  I can't find a place that is steep enough so that I can get further away from the mountain and still have a long-enough run to get me the 1000 meters. 

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2006, 01:53:58 AM »

Picked this up for regular Xbox this afternoon and thus far it is pretty fun. It's like Mercenaries meets Total Overdose with the graphics of TO instead of Mercs. The beauty of this game must have been reserved for the 360 version because it looks pretty average on the plain Xbox. That being said, the fun is still here and in spades. I can't get over the sheer size of the game world. Plus leaping off a moving vehicle's roof and parachuting away from danger is just nine kinds of awesome. As long as you're fine with average graphics then this is a lot of fun so far. I hope the missions stay varied because if I'm Fed Ex'ing times a hundred I'll be pissed.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Louis Cypher

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2006, 03:59:00 AM »

Add me to the group of people who like the game.  It looks awesome on a 360, I dont know about PS/Xbox though.  I love driving cars off cliffs, surfing them on the way down, then pulling the chute.

Live Gamer Tag: Kitten0Death
PSN: CabriX
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2006, 04:09:12 AM »

Has anyone figured out how to shoot down the helicopters? I've only liberated the first two provinces and done a few of the main missions and collection missions so I'm not that far in. But I can't for the life of me take down those choppers and I grow annoyed.

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2006, 04:19:32 AM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on October 04, 2006, 04:09:12 AM

Has anyone figured out how to shoot down the helicopters? I've only liberated the first two provinces and done a few of the main missions and collection missions so I'm not that far in. But I can't for the life of me take down those choppers and I grow annoyed.

Mounted machine guns seem to work really well.  I haven't seen anything beyond that though.

Because I can,
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2006, 04:22:36 AM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on October 04, 2006, 04:09:12 AM

There's a couple ways to handle those annoying helicopters, but mostly they are a pain in the ass I avoid.  You can actually damage them with your regular machine guns, but vehicle mounted guns or cannons are more powerful if you can get them aimed that far up.  Later on you also get access to rpgs and rocket launchers, so they make quick work of most everything.  

Of course, the easiest way is to have a heavily armed chopper of your own.  You get access to a lot of these later on, as well, and can steal them from areas around the map.  

Once you get the grappling gun (after the second or third mission, I think) you can also shoot that at the copter, try to zip up the line (right trigger) and then hijack it.  The only problem with this is that often after you have started to zip up the line the chopper will fly forward over your head and your line will automatically drop.  The only thing you can try to do is zip up the line as quickly as possible and hit the Use Vehicle button right away, or else try to turn in the correct direction to follow it as it passes overhead.  It takes practice and can still be difficult and frustrating since you are getting shot up at the same time.  Which is why I usually hide under the jungle canopy as much as possible and just keep moving forward.  

Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2006, 05:10:02 AM »

Fun times so far.  Just got the grappling hook.

Funniest thing to date... me trying to jump off of a cliff to practice parachuting, but forgetting which button pops the chute.... Splat.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2006, 02:21:54 PM »

Before I sacked out last night I knocked off some rival gangsters, stole their purple car, and was promptly assaulted by several members of their gang. I gunned it down the road sadly to no avail as there were simply too many of them. I turned hard left and drove straight towards a cliff, Thelma & Louise sytle. I soar right off the edge and hit the A button which ejects me from the car and my parachute flew open. Upwards I soared while both my ride and my pursuers fell through the canopy below and met fiery deaths. I plummeted through the canopy and landed next to a schoolbus which I promptly highjacked and drove off the next cliffside in order to get to the next collection item I was going for all along.

This game rules.

pricecs
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2006, 03:02:14 PM »

Add me to the 'Loving It' group - just the thing to show off my shiny new 360  icon_biggrin

I've had it freeze a couple of times today - looks to be when going around a corner and pulling a Stunt (usually by pressing the wrong button).

Favorite thing so far - touring the island in a helicopter from a seized stronghold for Riojas. That's how I hit the Rice Mill - took the chopper and flew over and parachuted in.

Chris.

XBL Gamertag: Dirok
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2006, 03:57:55 PM »

Not sure how I always manage to have a wanted level (might be my driving... nah.) but I am usually being chased around everywhere by police... and army... and helicopters.  Right before I headed to sleep last night I was running away trying to get the level to drop when a chopper started targetting me.  I had just gotten the grapple gun, so I fired it... hopped on to the tail, and into the chopper. 

Then I shot down another 5 or 6 helicopters before crashing.

It may say something about my playstyle that I got the 100 kills achievement before anything else.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2006, 06:16:51 PM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on October 04, 2006, 03:57:55 PM

Not sure how I always manage to have a wanted level (might be my driving... nah.) but I am usually being chased around everywhere by police... and army... and helicopters.

The cops seem to be pretty omniscient.  It seems like you jack a car and as soon as you pass a cop they start chasing you.  The Helicopter aim seems to be pretty bad though.

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2006, 06:37:47 PM »

there is an achievement called 20 car stunts...or something like that...all you have to do for that is drive down a road,and get in stunt posistion in a car,and when the car comes to a stop,it will cause traffic to build up(small dirt roads are best,so you get traffic stopped from both ways)...then all you have to do is stunt jump from car to car to back to your car(just jumping on top of the roofs of tha cars)..do that 20 times which is just pressing the jump button 20 times,and you will get it<<<<<<another easy achievement

Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2006, 06:41:09 PM »

When I'm in the helicopter I don't bother shooting unless  there's a target marker up.  The rockets seem to home if there's a marker.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2006, 04:17:45 PM »

Today's lesson:  Don't piss off the cops when you are sitting near a military base if you are not prepared.

One helicopter is no big deal.  Two helicopters... not much of a problem.  3 helicopters, regular police, scout tanks, lav's and more all at the same time start to get really painful in a hurry.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2006, 02:28:43 AM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on October 05, 2006, 04:17:45 PM

Today's lesson:  Don't piss off the cops when you are sitting near a military base if you are not prepared.

One helicopter is no big deal.  Two helicopters... not much of a problem.  3 helicopters, regular police, scout tanks, lav's and more all at the same time start to get really painful in a hurry.

Heh, no kidding.  I've found that I have to take along the rocket launcher on some of those missions just to get rid of the ground armor.  Otherwise they often take me out before I can hijack one for myself. 

I finally got that damnable 1000m Base Jump Achievement last night.  I ended up using the peak next to Eagle's Nest instead of that one as I found it had a longer valley/trough without many hills that I could cruise down.  It still took me a few tries (I was stuck at 997 for a while...as if that's not frustrating) but I finally got the right combination of location and my drop angle. 

Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2006, 09:18:04 AM »

I keep thinking about trying to get that achievement... and then I get distracted by something shiny and explosive.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
SjN
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2006, 05:28:12 PM »

I'll start off by saying that I'm somewhat disappointed in this title. For a startup company, Avalanche really had a potential hit. Now granted it may still be. This is (after all) my opinion....

First off, the game does have fantastic vistas and landscape graphics. However, that appears to be where the eye candy ends. The character graphics and animations are somewhat 'cartoony' and not very polished compared to the work that went in the the rest of the expansive scenery and the graphics in other 360 titles.

You get the feeling that it's not quite done.

Second, the gameplay seems to be a bit 'buggy'. Of all of the 360 titles I own, NEVER have I had to physically reboot my console so many times. From complete lock ups to distortred polygons making vehicles either float or "phase" through sides of buildings or mountains. It gets frustrating.

Again - you get the feeling that it's not quite done.

Finally, (I could go on trust me...) The game is TOOooooooooo flipping easy! Yea, it's GREAT if all you care about are getting those oh-so-valuable achievements. But come on already - auto-targeting? Where the heck is the challenge to this? It's almost boring! Enemy bullets for one don't do NEAR the damage they should and its just too easy to take out entire cartels. C'mon Avalanche, give us a challenge. An option in the settings menu to turn on/off targeting or adjust the difficulty (ala' Call Of Duty 2) would have been nice.

Hmmmm... maybe next time we won't be in such a hurry Avalanche?

With all of that said, the game is fun to just wander around and get lost in. The grappling gun is fun to take on helicopters. I also heard a rumor about a sub. If that's true, I might throw in a few more points. But for now, this is definately a "rent me only" title....

--SjN
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2006, 02:14:16 AM »

I finished up the main storyline missions last night and I can say for certain that the difficulty does ramp up towards the end.  The last series of missions is quite lengthy and difficult since you aren't going back to your base and starting fresh each time.  One hint for when you near the last missions:
Spoiler for Hiden:
When you go into the mission (19?) where you are going out to El Presidente's Island I HIGHLY suggest you take along the grenade launcher that carries 16 rounds.  You will need them to take out the tank there.  If you don't have access to this weapon yet, do some more damn missions!  icon_wink

I will agree the difficulty levels could have been tweaked a bit.  For the first 10 missions or so everything is extremely easy because all you are facing is infantry or maybe jeeps.  Once the missions get longer and the enemies have scout tanks, helicopters, anti-air rockets, etc it can get much more difficult.  My main frustration was when a scout tank would shoot me, bouncing me into the air, and by the time I regain control another shot lands right near me bouncing me up again.  Repeat until dead.  Infuriating.  Overall, if the infantry had been just a bit more difficult and the scout tanks a little less deadly I would have been happier. 

I really liked the auto-target and thought that it added a lot to my enjoyment of the game by keeping things moving quickly and decreasing the frustration that often sets in with console aiming.  Making it optional is always better, though. 

I have yet to see a submarine, but there is one of those things that looks like an underwater jet-ski that you use towards mission 18 or so.  Unless you know where to find it and that you have to hit a button to drop it down I don't think you would ever find it just wandering around. 

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2006, 03:26:01 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on October 10, 2006, 02:14:16 AM

My main frustration was when a scout tank would shoot me, bouncing me into the air, and by the time I regain control another shot lands right near me bouncing me up again.  Repeat until dead.  Infuriating.   

Dude, that has pissed me off to no end. Just took a province tonight where I had to clear several city blocks before getting to the damn flag and the enemy had more mini-tanks and attack helicopters than I could shake a stick at. I was armed with my missile launcher and focused on the helicopters but those explosions kept killing me. The best part?

After several reloads the guy who I initiated the mission through DISAPPEARED. That's right, gang, I load up the mission right where it starts and the guy who starts the mission IS NOT FRICKIN' THERE. I carjack someone and right as I'm about to drive off he suddenly appears.

Way to go, Avalanche. Real rock solid game you made here.

Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2006, 06:21:05 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on October 08, 2006, 02:28:43 AM

I finally got that damnable 1000m Base Jump Achievement last night.  I ended up using the peak next to Eagle's Nest instead of that one as I found it had a longer valley/trough without many hills that I could cruise down.  It still took me a few tries (I was stuck at 997 for a while...as if that's not frustrating) but I finally got the right combination of location and my drop angle. 

This is driving me nuts at the moment.  I got the 997 meters... but there is a hill right about that point that I can't figure out how to get over/around.  Any hints?

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Wolves
Gaming Trend Reader

DAMMIT!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2006, 08:24:22 AM »

I've only played for about 1-2 hours so far.
I agree, vehicle control could be alot tighter, I'm somewhat disappointed so far overall.....but haven't written it off yet.

Biggest let down so far: Driving a piece of heavy equipment with a scoop ....and noticing some little foreman trailers. I immediately charge towards it (well as fast as a vehicle like that can go anyway), with a maniacal grin on my face I prepare for the inevitable impact which is sure to be beautifully destructive, and then...my vehicle hits it...and stops..dead. I didn't carve a huge gash into the side of it, I didn't go right through it, I didn't smash it into the other trailer or even move it....nor was there even so much as a dent in it.  icon_evil crybaby

DonD

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2006, 03:22:00 AM »

I've been playing this one for about 10 hours.  I'm having a great time with it, though it does have its problems.

Although I rarely comment on things like this, I must speak about the graphics.  Pretty awesome visuals.  I didn't think so at first, as ground level is just ok.  But from the air, it's really, really pretty.  Especially as day turns into night and back to day again.  The sunrise..the changing color palette..the water reflections..all are really well done.  When cruising around on a boat, I like how the watter ripples and you can see the plants and fish underneath.

Vehicle control..is lacking.  You get where you need to go, but the vehicles just don't feel responsive.  I've driven (carjacked) everything from a motorcycle to a jeep to a truck and everything in between.  If it was on the road, I tried to grab it and drive around.  The only vehicle that felt even remotely responsive was the motorcycle.

Vehicle collisions pretty much don't exist.  Sure, you can smash head-on and your vehicle will stop (briefly), but there doesn't seem to be much effect.  If you keep it up long enough, you'll see vehicle damage and eventually smoke and flames (and then you need to bail or you'll die in the ensuing explosion).  Driving a motorcycle and going head-on with a truck..same story.  You'll fly a little off the cycle, take some damage, but you won't die.

Weapons..auto-aim.  I guess it's ok.  But it doesn't seem that challenging.  And the guys that are shooting at you are either shooting blanks or have really, really bad aim.

Yet, despite these problems, I'm having fun.  Once I figured out the grappling gun and how to reel myself in once latched onto a vehicle, I had all kinds of fun.  There's a certain perverse joy in grappling onto a helicopter then jumping in the cockpit and taking over.  It also made the collecting missions a snap with that kind of mobility.

Which reminds me.  What's the point in a collection mission if it tells you what you need to do (find 5 crates around the perimeter of the island), and then puts blue dots on the map where the crates are?  I mean..seriously.  Could you also give me an autopilot command that will take me to the item?  I understand that with the territory map being so big, it's be hard to find the items (especially the underwater items), but with the dots on the map, there's really no challenge to finding them.  I wasn't even looking to do the collection missions, but since some of the dots fall near the mission locations, I ended up grabbing a couple of them.  And then once I commandeered a helicopter, I figured I'd finish up the collection missions I'd started. It just seems like there had to be a better way to get them in.  See blue dots.  Go there.  Mission complete.  Most of them aren't defended.  And the ones that are..well..see my comment above about being shot at.

I'd recommend it as a rental.  I won't call it a keeper, but it is entertaining.

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
Clay

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2007, 12:15:25 AM »

I love this game.  I bought it used and I have to say that between the unique setting and the gorgeous graphics, this is the ONLY game over the last 2-3 years that has drawn me out of my gaming slump. I can barely walk away from it to post here.

Vehicles?  They're fine to me.  Maybe I'm the anomaly or something, but seriously: if you have a 360 and you haven't played this, get thee to to a game store and buy it used.  Maybe Saints' Row is supposed to be better, but in my opinion, this game rocks because of the beauty and unique setting.  Again, I love it.

xbox live: nude rick james
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2007, 12:44:01 AM »

I need to get back to playing this eventually.  It got buried with all the new releases and I almost forgot I had it.

Because I can,
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: