http://gamingtrend.com
August 01, 2014, 05:46:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just Cause Demo  (Read 2093 times)
Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 24, 2006, 04:51:14 PM »

Supposedly...

Eidos Interactive announced today that the JUST CAUSE Xbox 360 demo (632.71 MB) is live and the PC demo will go live today at 6pm GMT.

One of the largest computer games environments ever created, the JUST CAUSE demo features a bespoke island a tiny fraction of the size of the finished game to offer Xbox Live and PC gamers the chance to sample Avalanche’s next-gen, free-roaming extravaganza.

The finished game on Xbox 360 and PC will feature not only over 300 missions, the freedom to explore San Esperito to your hearts content and more vehicles than you can shake a stick at, but will also feature the grappling hook, an innovative form of transportation; simply grapple the back of any moving vehicle, car, bike, van, helicopter, boat or fighter jet and deploy your parachute to get airborne, from here you can choose to parasail, parachute down or reel in your grapple to take control of the vehicle.

Hurry someone get it and get some impressions up here stat!
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 04:55:12 PM »

We're downloading it here now, but it's slow going.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 05:12:16 PM »

This game, seen by the previews/screenshots/videos I've downloaded, screams "Mediocrity!"

That being said, I'm looking forward to reading some impressions of jumping in/out/around of aeroplanes and not having to worry about being sliced in half by that helicoptor propellor you've just clipped through when somehow moving from the tail of the coptor to the front.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006, 05:12:55 PM »

I was less than impressed (actually, I thought it was crap) by the trailer released a week or two ago. But I pulled the demo anyway to give it a spin.

Unfortunately, it'll have to wait until I get done with work.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2006, 05:17:24 PM »

I also saw we are supposed to be getting a new and improved Test Drive demo some time soon.
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2006, 05:54:38 PM »

Well I tried the PC demo, and it was FANTASTICALLY FUN..  Reminds me of Boiling Point done right..

Another great game to get this year. (on PC though)

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2006, 07:44:36 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on August 24, 2006, 05:17:24 PM

I also saw we are supposed to be getting a new and improved Test Drive demo some time soon.

Out now, actually.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2006, 12:46:35 AM »

I played for an hour or so today.  I was about to give up after multiple attempts at the first mission (or the first part of the mission, I guess).  It seemed incredibly challenging to try and parachute onto a car, but if that didn't happen, I couldn't catch up to the convoy in time to do anything about it.  Finally, I started shooting from the parachute, and the convoy pulled over, for some reason (to try and take me out, maybe).  Once I started taking out the minions, the truck with the target inside peeled out and sped away.  I was able to keep up in a jeep, follow him to a compound and take him out.  After that, the game became much more reasonable on the challenge meter.  I really enjoyed it.  My only complaint was that, for such a large world, the gameplay seemed very linear.  I'd be very suprised if that stayed true for the whole game, though.

I also played TD:U and was slightly less impressed than I'd been with the last demo.  But maybe I'm off driving games for a while.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2006, 01:11:18 AM »

Downloading this one on my 360 right now.  The last trailer they released was mediocre at best, but I've read some things and seen other movies which make it seem like it could be a good kind of super-Bond doing GTA tyep game.  Crossing my fingers that it's good. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2006, 03:30:47 AM »

I somehow freefell onto a car from the parachute and then entered the car and was chasing the first dude.  I kept banging into him thinking this was GTA and his car would explode but no luck there.  So we raced around with me banging into him until I ran him into some kind of sniper platform.  Then he got out and I popped him there.

The second guy I never could figure out.  I had to liberate some town which meant dozens of respawning police (ugh) and two roadblocks I needed to remove.  I got rid of the first with grenades but the second would never go away so I got in a car and drove further down the road thinking I'd missed something.  Then the game told me I'd left the mission and it was Game Over.

Oh well.  It was sorta fun.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2006, 04:58:54 AM »

Well I had a bit of fun with that demo, but I don't think that literally dropping the player into the game like that is the best way to start off.  Trying to line up for the drop onto the car for that first mission gave me flashbacks of Pilot Wings, and it wasn't pretty. 

Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2006, 05:32:08 AM »

I beat the demo on my 3rd try, and thought that was good.. My son beat it on his first try.  (PC version)

You CAN blow up cars, just takes a bit.  I loved how they tossed you right into it, what a ride, nice demo!  SOLD me

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2006, 11:05:57 AM »

It's fun to play and the terrain graphics are pretty.. but god are the character models and animations bad. The player character runs like he just spent three hours in a prison cell with a large lonely man named Mongo. There's an animator somewhere that needs to be fired.

As for the fun parts, it's nice to see a sandbox type thing actually done right. If you're going to give someone an island to play on and talk about wide open terrain.. then don't pull a Far Cry and not allow us to go certain places. Bravo to whoever is making this for making it truly free-roaming.

I dig the stunt mechanic too. Hopping from the hood of the car I was just driving into the bed of the truck I was chasing was awesome.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2006, 01:42:31 PM »

It was enjoyable and the stunt gimmick was entertaining for a bit, but I enjoyed the Saints Row demo much more.  Pass.
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2006, 03:22:15 PM »

I've heard it was very disappointing, so I won't check it out.

I'm still waiting for the nhl 07 demo anyway.

if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2006, 09:10:06 PM »

Disappointing?  Me and my kids think the demo is fantastic.

Maybe the PC version has better controls than the Xbox one and thats making a difference?  Feedback I am reading on their forums is fantastic about the demo as well.  We discovered a ton of secret or hidden stuff in the demo as well, fun stuff.

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2006, 10:30:34 PM »

Quote from: jimmyorr99 on August 25, 2006, 03:22:15 PM

Maybe you should try it for yourself instead of just going along with what others say.

Unless downloading the demo would somehow cause the untimely death of your dog or something.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2006, 10:33:26 PM »

Quote from: Thin_J on August 25, 2006, 10:30:34 PM

Maybe you should try it for yourself instead of just going along with what others say.

Unless downloading the demo would somehow cause the untimely death of your dog or something.

+1

HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2006, 12:26:41 AM »

Im with Kobra here...

It was nice.

Ill play it more this weekend to see if it holds up.

Im a sucker for GTA games.... So take my recomendation with a grain of salt.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2006, 02:40:57 PM »

Quote from: Kobra on August 25, 2006, 10:33:26 PM

Quote from: Thin_J on August 25, 2006, 10:30:34 PM

+1

Well said, Thin J.  I was going to make a similar comment, but it kept coming out harsh. 

As for the demo, I'm definitely leaning toward in, but I'm a little hesitant.  I hope it all comes together.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2006, 02:57:35 AM »

The demo was very fun, but I remember another demo from Eidos calle 'Total Overdose' which was fun, but the actual game was lacking.  I hereby dub this game 'RENTAL!'.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2006, 03:49:20 AM »

it was alright. very very pretty, somewhat fun but not a must have for me.  possibly a rental but for some reason mercenaries just seemed, i dont know "tighter" than this and i couldnt help thinking that when i was playing
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2006, 05:08:28 AM »

Wow - I thought the demo was crap. The graphics were nice, but the controls were annoyingly imprecise. The whole demo seemed like a badly done Mercenaries rip-off.
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2006, 06:16:25 AM »

I thought the graphics were 2004ish PC looking, certainly not even close to current FPS games.

What I DID like was the controls, freedom, stunt aspects, and "Boiling Point" like gameplay.  This one ain't the most pretty, but I like the systems in it and plan on gettng it for the PC.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2006, 06:41:59 AM »

Quote from: Kobra on August 27, 2006, 06:16:25 AM

I thought the graphics were 2004ish PC looking, certainly not even close to current FPS games.

Everything I've read indicates that the 360 version looks considerably better than the PC demo.  I haven't tried the PC demo myself but I do admit that I was surprisingly impressed with how it looked on the 360. 
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2006, 04:41:44 PM »

I am not sure how this would be possible unless they have a completely different set of textures and engine for the Xbox version.  But I find that hard to believe.  The problem is the textures are pretty low resolution, and the polygon count is quite low in characters and vehicles.   This is with every possible setting maxed on the PC version.

With that being said, I still love the demo, graphics aren't ever my focus, but I hate to think they scaled it back for consoles.  icon_frown

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2006, 04:44:30 PM »

Enjoyed the demo, I wouldn't buy it at $60, but mark it down to $40 and I'll think about it.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2006, 05:36:06 PM »

Quote from: Kobra on August 27, 2006, 04:41:44 PM

I am not sure how this would be possible unless they have a completely different set of textures and engine for the Xbox version. 

Actually they do.  The game is being released for both the original Xbox and PS2 in addition to the 360 so they already have a "downgraded" version of the game basically.  This isn't unprecedented- the Tomb Raider Legend demo for the PC was actually based off of the Xbox/PS2 version and didn't have the upgraded lighting and textures from the 360 version.  Same thing with King Kong- the PC version was based off of the previous gen console versions, though it was possible to buy the "Hi Def" stuff from the 360 version if you bought KK through Direct2Drive. 
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2006, 05:50:20 PM »

I've played both versions of the demo.  The 360 version looks much better to me.  Plus the controls on the 360 are much more intuitive in my opinion.  I may be in the minority, but I liked the Saints Row demo better.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2006, 07:36:05 PM »

I really,really like this game. the demo is really short though. I would have liked a little time to free roam a bit. I am very please by the size of the world in the map. This is a must buy after saints row.
Did anyone else find them self talking Spanish?

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ‹(•Ώ•)›  ‹(•Ώ•)›  ‹(•Ώ•)›
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ‹(•Ώ•)›  ‹(•Ώ•)›  ‹(•Ώ•)›
PS3 Spinks
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2006, 07:39:33 PM »

I played the 360 version a couple days ago and just gave the PC version a try.  After putting the video settings all at High and restarting I don't think that the 360 version looks any better to me and it ran quite well on my mediocre system (2600+, 1GB, 6600GT).

What the console does have is better controls, especially for the vehicles.  Man, I've played a lot of driving games on my PC but none have been as touchy as trying to drive one of the trucks in this game!  It's like to make up for the lack of analog turning they put a small delay in the response time, but then you end up over correcting and turning 90 degrees and sliding all over the place when you just wanted to make a small turn.  In an arcadey game like this you want intuitive controls that are easy for everyone to pick up and play, not something that you have to fight with just to stay on the road.  

It was still a lot of fun and I think the game could be pretty good.  If I get it I will likely wait for a price reduction and pick up the 360 version.  

stuntgibbon
Game Dev
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2006, 07:55:17 PM »

Also, if you have your screen professionally calibrated, this game looks SUPER dark.  (and has no in-game brightness levels)     Otherwise, the game itself seems like it could be fun.   Sorta like Mercenaries meets Total Overdose.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2006, 12:13:30 AM »

Quote from: juniordan on August 27, 2006, 07:36:05 PM

I really,really like this game. the demo is really short though. I would have liked a little time to free roam a bit. I am very please by the size of the world in the map. This is a must buy after saints row.
Did anyone else find them self talking Spanish?

ningϊn jefe, apenas usted usted es impar.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2006, 01:15:42 AM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on August 27, 2006, 05:08:28 AM

Wow - I thought the demo was crap. The graphics were nice, but the controls were annoyingly imprecise. The whole demo seemed like a badly done Mercenaries rip-off.

That's my assessment as well.  Plus, it seems your character can take 50 billion bullets and not lose any health.  The only hard things in the demo were the various control schemes, since the vehicles (including the parachute) were extremely touchy.

I love GTA type games, and I came away from the demo very meh.
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2006, 02:08:34 AM »

Quote from: denoginizer on August 27, 2006, 05:50:20 PM

I've played both versions of the demo.  The 360 version looks much better to me.  Plus the controls on the 360 are much more intuitive in my opinion.  I may be in the minority, but I liked the Saints Row demo better.

I'm with you will be picking up Saints row this week just cause a rental at best.

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: