http://gamingtrend.com
November 21, 2014, 08:46:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just Cause 2  (Read 12571 times)
EngineNo9
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« on: June 04, 2009, 03:18:13 AM »

I don't know if there were many other people around here that enjoyed Just Cause as much as I did, but I've been anticipating sequel since it was announced.  After seeing this first gameplay video it is definitely on my "to watch" list (despite a very unexcitable Swedish designer giving a voiceover).

Open world destruction with a grappling hook and crazy stunts?  Basically the best parts of Mercenaries 2 and Bionic Commando with some added craziness and adrenaline.  Count me in!

Too bad they say "coming 2010", I was really hoping it would be out later this year.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 03:42:16 AM by EngineNo9 » Logged

Sandwiches do fix everything.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 03:59:00 AM »

the part that makes me LOL is the trailers show that it's an island paradise, with jungle, deserts... and snow covered fields?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 12:41:16 PM »

I loved Just Cause until I hit a game-crashing bug and couldn't continue.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 03:04:55 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 04, 2009, 12:41:16 PM

Really?  Was that on the 360 version?  I played that one for hours and hours and never ran into that.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 03:39:11 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on June 04, 2009, 03:04:55 PM

Really?  Was that on the 360 version?  I played that one for hours and hours and never ran into that.

how long was the first game?  I started playing it but never finished, and was thinking about picking it up (it's really cheap used) to pass the time until Prototype comes out.

Because I can,
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 04:02:33 PM »

Yep, 360.  I've tried many times since then to continue, but it just wouldn't let me.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 04:11:11 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 04, 2009, 04:02:33 PM

Yep, 360.  I've tried many times since then to continue, but it just wouldn't let me.

it wasnt around mission 16 or so was it Bull?,because thats where i came across a Bug that wouldn't let me continue...like you i tried and tried many times but it was the same each time...shame as it was a great game

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 04:16:42 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on June 04, 2009, 04:11:11 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 04, 2009, 04:02:33 PM

it wasnt around mission 16 or so was it Bull?,because thats where i came across a Bug that wouldn't let me continue...like you i tried and tried many times but it was the same each time...shame as it was a great game

Not sure.  I don't think it was quite that far.  It seemed to trigger from my compulsive need to collect those blue maguffin dots, IIRC.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 04:21:24 PM »

oh,i just remember running up the same road about 20 times and it kept crashing..or doing something that wouldn't let me continue

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2009, 06:42:58 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 04, 2009, 03:39:11 PM

how long was the first game?  I started playing it but never finished, and was thinking about picking it up (it's really cheap used) to pass the time until Prototype comes out.

If you want to do everything it can take quite a while, but I'm sure you can run through the main missions fairly quickly.  Meaning a standard action-game 10 hours maybe?  Hard to remember.  I did all of the collectibles, races, etc since it was one of the first 360 games I had and spent a bunch of time with it.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2009, 01:01:09 AM »

One of the guys at Kotaku has a write-up about his demo time with the game and says things like this, which only makes the year-long wait for the game that much worse. 
I saw plenty of games this past week. Some good. Some bad. Some worse. But only one game could be the best-looking thing I saw all week. And that game was Just Cause 2.
...you can only really judge them on which game put the biggest smile on your face after 15-30 minutes with it. And Just Cause 2 put the biggest smile on my face. Simple as that.

Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2009, 01:51:12 AM »

Man, that looks like a blast!  I Can't wait!

I hadn't heard of this one either.  So many great games coming out!

Wake up.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2009, 04:49:50 AM »

cool.  the first one was such an over the top action game that i ended up getting it for both platforms (sold the pc version after wards as the controls were better with the 360)

glad that they are working on the shortcomings of the first one.  the combat was a bit off compared to other tps games, and the vehicles were kind of floaty.  but even so, i spent a good chunk of time with it before new-game syndrome kicked in.

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2009, 11:33:46 PM »

Research shows that the fatal bugs appeared to be limited to the PS2 version of the first game.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2009, 12:47:20 AM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on June 06, 2009, 11:33:46 PM

Research shows that the fatal bugs appeared to be limited to the PS2 version of the first game.

Not my research.  Or, I'll bet metallicorphan's.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2009, 02:26:46 PM »

new video.  looking damn good! thumbsup

Because I can,
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2010, 06:54:54 AM »

Youtube integration for the PS3 version.  You can record 10-minute segments or the last 30 seconds of gameplay.  I really wish Red Faction : Guerrilla had had this, as there are many moments from that game I would like to have a replay for.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2010, 10:51:21 AM »

Quote from: EddieA on January 23, 2010, 06:54:54 AM

Youtube integration for the PS3 version.  You can record 10-minute segments or the last 30 seconds of gameplay.  I really wish Red Faction : Guerrilla had had this, as there are many moments from that game I would like to have a replay for.

a video about that.

Because I can,
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2010, 10:57:25 AM »

On the Bombcast they talked about it and said it's revamped and way better than the first. Looking forward to it  thumbsup

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2010, 12:17:29 PM »

There's a demo coming to XBox Live, PSN, and PC on Thursday, March 4.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2010, 02:00:56 AM »

the launch trailer with all kinds of insane action.

Because I can,
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2010, 05:11:02 PM »

Gamefly is shipping this today, but I wasn't too impressed with the demo.  The controls felt really clunky to me.  Any way, I'll check it out and see how the final game is.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2010, 05:56:56 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on March 23, 2010, 05:18:54 PM

Is there a good tutorial, because I was pretty lost about how to do all the fun stuff in the demo.

I didn't really get the game at first either, but watching GiantBomb's Quick Look at the demo taught me a few tricks.  The most important was that pulling back on the left stick will help gain altitude while grappling something with an open parachute, letting you stay aloft pretty much indefinitely.

Larger structures often have weak points that need to be targeted before they can be brought down: pipelines have terminals to hack, satellite uplinks need to manually opened to expose their sensitive parts, and so forth.  I like the fact that there's needs to be a method to the madness, striking at vulnerable points before reinforcements are air-dropped in, and that all the Chaos builds up to unlock the next mission or goody from the black market.

I also love the way Rico can grapple onto an enemy vehicle and scuttle around the sides to avoid enemy fire while he picks off the passengers.  Trying to complete a hijack sequence before the truck careens off a cliff (or the aircraft plows into the side of a mountain!) isn't getting old anytime soon. icon_cool

-Autistic Angel

-Autistic Angel
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2010, 06:02:44 PM »

Pick it up at Gamestop, installed and got through the opening cutscenes and mini-missions. Will advise...

"The function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectable" - John Kenneth Galbraith
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2010, 06:06:40 PM »

1Up posted their review.  It got an A.

Quote from: 1UP.com's Eric Neigher
This game is so well designed that time after time in my playthrough I thought, "Man, wouldn't it be great if this game had X?" and then, lo and behold, X appears, like the albatross to the Ancient Mariner, except in a totally good way that doesn't cause the mass suffering and death of my shipmates. Honestly, I can't think of any reason why anyone who loves video games won't enjoy JC2. Learn it. Love it. Live it.

Also, on another discussion forum, Tom Chick posted his pre-review thoughts:

Quote from: Tom Chick
My saved game has 22 hours on it, all played since last Thursday, and I still can't get enough of this thing. If you thought the demo was crack, the full game is just that much crackier. Cracker. More crack.

-Autistic Angel
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2010, 06:24:34 PM »

As much as I want this, with FF13, GoW3, and a massive RTS I'm playing through for review, I can't spare the time. I plan to get to it later though.

Sean Lama
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2010, 06:50:38 PM »

I'm a bit concerned with the Joystiq review.  They basically say that it's an amazing sandbox, and everything about the game is fantastic except for the main storyline missions, which are generally terrible.

That's no good for me, because I need some kind of structure within a sandbox.  Red Faction Guerilla did this very well.  I'm hoping that the Joystiq review was an outlier, but I think at this point I'll be waiting until I can get it for under $20.

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2010, 07:00:34 PM »

Wow, I was surprised. The game doesn't open at all like the demo. After the cutscenes there are a couple of Agency missions that are somewhat tutorial in nature, but are still full fledged missions. That's good for about 45 minutes at a difficulty of Normal. I didn't have to reload after dying, but it came pretty close to that a couple of times. 

Regarding structure, basically there are three "paths" of mission progression for the three factions, plus Agency missions. Also you can attack Strongholds as well. All these are so you can generate Chaos points which unlock further missions. So there is some structure. It's not unlike the Saints Row games, where you needed to increase your reputation to unlock missions, but you weren't obligated to do any one mission right away. There would always seem to be several to chose from, plus of course running around making a nuisance of yourself.

The voice acting is a bit over the top, but it fits into the story, which is a bit (but not too much) over the top as well.

I've now, after about an hour, reached the point after completing the obligatory opening missions where I can select to go to a location with another mission, or go off and cause some Chaos.

Oh, and I don't know if I read it somewhere as not being available, but you can indeed save at any time. Also there are saves made at Checkpoints. If you come a cropper, you can load either one.

"The function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectable" - John Kenneth Galbraith
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2010, 07:12:25 PM »

I just had my first laugh out loud moment. I rode my motorcycle through a small town. As I drove past a large statue a tutorial message popped up saying how I can pull it down with a vehicle. So I pull up in front of it, dual grapple from the head of the statue to my cycle, and hop on and gun it. My bike lurches forward, then pivots upwards (the grapple was attached to the bike at about midpoint). It throws me backward to the base of the statue, which then fell over on me. I crawled out from underneath in a little cutscene. Great stuff.

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2010, 07:24:26 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on March 23, 2010, 06:50:38 PM

I'm a bit concerned with the Joystiq review.  They basically say that it's an amazing sandbox, and everything about the game is fantastic except for the main storyline missions, which are generally terrible.

That's no good for me, because I need some kind of structure within a sandbox.  Red Faction Guerilla did this very well.

I never found the *story* of Red Faction: Guerrilla very interesting, but the structure of the gameplay really worked for me, too.  Demolition lessened enemy influence and yielded scrap for unlocking new weaponry, but also attract the notice of increasingly lethal enemy soldiers who would kill you and your friends to diminish your morale.  There was a constant risk-versus-reward calculation that rewarded intelligent play.

Just Cause 2 scratches that same itch: strategically knocking out high-value enemy assets, sometimes in multiple stages, to generate Chaos and unlock new missions, weapons, and equipment.  The missions I've encountered so far have been really enjoyable to play, too.  I must have gone through the convoy hijacking in the demo a dozen times over, grappling my way onto a car, killing the driver, and then leaping to the next vehicle before it swerved out of control and rolled off the road into a ditch.  Let me do that, and the machinations of Bolo SantOHZHEE and her army of ReaPAHS is just background noise.

I agree with you, Chaz: random destruction without purpose or consequence gets old really fast, and I think that Just Cause 2 provides enough challenge, diversity, and physics-based OMGLOL AWESOME! to be its own reward. nod

-Autistic Angel
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2010, 09:23:52 PM »

Yeah, there's definitely structure and progress to the destruction.

I actually wish the VO work was more over the top.  So far, I've found everyone to be jarringly bad.  The story is a bigger let down than I was expecting.  I wish the game wasn't front-loaded with story before it opens up, though I understand why they do that.

Still having a blast with it.  My only other gripe is that, so far, I've pulled in mid- to high- 90% completed for three areas so far.  Despite buzzing around the towns like crazy, I cannot get 100%.  I'm wondering if there's some sort of ability that unlocks later that'll help.

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2010, 09:39:46 PM »

Damn, ran into my first timed mission, which I failed several times  icon_mad

I switched to Casual difficulty and started again.

spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2010, 10:13:18 PM »

A mandatory timed mission or one of the extra faction ones? I'm not a big of fan forced timed missions at all.

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2010, 10:33:21 PM »

Quote from: spigot on March 23, 2010, 10:13:18 PM

A mandatory timed mission or one of the extra faction ones? I'm not a big of fan forced timed missions at all.

It was one of the faction missions. I could have done others to work around it, but I decided to restart instead. The first cutscene is unskippable(!) but the rest can be skipped so I was able to zoom back to where I was.

Oh, and my first spoiler...
Spoiler for Hiden:
I found the Mile High Club!!!!

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2010, 02:11:19 AM »

Quote from: Chaz on March 23, 2010, 06:50:38 PM

I'm a bit concerned with the Joystiq review.  They basically say that it's an amazing sandbox, and everything about the game is fantastic except for the main storyline missions, which are generally terrible.

That's no good for me, because I need some kind of structure within a sandbox.  Red Faction Guerilla did this very well.  I'm hoping that the Joystiq review was an outlier, but I think at this point I'll be waiting until I can get it for under $20.

I can see this being an issue for me as well regarding completion. As much as I loved the destruction, I also loved RFG's main storyline. In my own mind I related it to the Palestine/Israel conflict and it was surprisingly effective at making me care about the outcome.

Any sandbox style game that I don't finish, such as Far Cry 2, is usually because of the lack of good narrative to carry me forward.

Anyhow, Eurogamer's review. This paragraph from the review sums up my issue with many sandbox games:

----------
12 hours in, unlocking new missions becomes something of a grind, a feeling exacerbated by increasingly lacklustre objectives which ramp up the accuracy and potency of enemies without providing quite enough set-piece spectacle to make every assignment unmissable. The island grows over-familiar and you tire of identikit villages filled with the same palette of assets, factors that turn the initial thrill of exploration into a mild chore, with few novelties to look forward to.
----------
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 02:14:22 AM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2010, 02:39:03 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on March 24, 2010, 02:11:19 AM

Any sandbox style game that I don't finish, such as Far Cry 2, is usually because of the lack of good narrative to carry me forward.

It's interesting, the comparison to Far Cry 2. It's one of the few games I've gone back to because of the things to do outside the main storyline. I restarted JC2 on Casual but after the obligatory first Agency missions I went off to a different Faction and started that thread. But after the first faction mission I went off looking around and just go sucked into the game. One thing very different from FC2 is that there is so much you can do in so many ways that don't have anything to do with combat.

Obviously I haven't gotten in very far and so cannot judge the strength of the narrative. I suspect it's somewhere between Borderlands and Oblivion slywink. The scenery in the game is attractive, varied and quite detailed. And, damn, it's just a lot of fun.

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2010, 03:13:36 AM »

I had my lol moment during the chase scene when I grapled one of the humvees and then grappled the ground just in front of it. The jeep roared after us and hit the end of he towline, spinning end over end and throwing the passengers out. The driver did not resume the chase.

Just got past that and out on my own. Really liked the first mission, but I wish there were fewer cutscenes in lieu of action moments. Otherwise, I'm liking it so far.

Clay

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2010, 03:22:10 AM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on March 23, 2010, 07:00:34 PM

...If you come a cropper, you can load either one.

Er.... what?   paranoid

xbox live: nude rick james
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2010, 03:24:11 AM »

Quote from: Clay on March 24, 2010, 03:22:10 AM

Quote from: jztemple2 on March 23, 2010, 07:00:34 PM

...If you come a cropper, you can load either one.

Er.... what?   paranoid

cropper.  hmmmm, maybe he means crop, as in you are fertilizer for worms and such.

still, it makes me wonder where he grew up that that made it into the parlance.  odd fellow, that jztemple.

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2010, 03:33:08 AM »

I was in a heated car chase tonight when this happened:

- hopped up on the hood of my car and took a shot at the nearest enemy truck

- truck's right front tire exploded

- truck veered hard, axel gouged the pavement, and the truck somersaulted up into a flying barrel roll

- flying truck careened into a roadside tree and exploded

- the tree was blasted down on the road, falling onto the rear of a second enemy truck

- second enemy truck's front wheels launched off the pavement, the vehicle flipped end-over-end, and smashed into the asphalt roof-first

- enemy soldier crawled out of the passenger side and was promptly run over by a third enemy truck

- third truck driver panicked, swerved wildly, and plowed into large propane tank that cooked off like a tactical nuke

- I blacked out from Awesome Overload

This game is bad-ass!! nod

-Autistic Angel
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: