http://gamingtrend.com
April 20, 2014, 03:26:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just Canceled OXM  (Read 1819 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: April 10, 2006, 11:19:06 PM »

Three primary factors:

1. PS2 now dominates my life
2. I've had enough of their increasingly unbalanced slants (putting a positive spin on the shortage?!)
3. MS is not really supporting XBOX1 much anymore and I have no plans to buy 360

I believe 2006 was to be my 3rd year with the mag.  Started out great: Then Rob Smith came on board and it became more PC Gamer.

Then he left and I was happy, because I appreciate FR's writing.  But...it's just all a little too much schmooze now.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 11:58:36 PM »

The newest issue is absolutely horrible.

On the front of the demo disc it talks about "New Xbox 360 and Xbox demos!" and it turns out there's ONE 360 demo and ONE original Xbox demo.  I felt a little deceived.  I made a forum post at the official forums, but it didn't go over too well.

The mag sucks ass, too.

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
addybojangles on GameCenter
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006, 01:06:21 AM »

That guy is !nsane :lol:

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2006, 01:30:29 AM »

Good for you. The whole mag is pretty horrible these days, and the demo disc isn't ever worth it anymore.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2006, 01:56:06 AM »

Agreed. I will not renew my sub.

LiveTAG: happydog
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2006, 02:03:08 AM »

Yeah, I wish I had not renewed about 4 months back.  What a waste.  If you cancel do they actually give you back some money?

I am Xboxalot on Live.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2006, 02:03:57 AM »

If you don't already subscribe, I highly recommend Game Informer.  I often disagree with their reviews, especially of RPGs, but they have good features, very lengthy previews, you get 10% off used purchases at Gamestop if you buy it there, and it's only ~$1.50 an issue.  Plus, they have lots of exclusives, such as the Revolution FPS game in the coming issue, and Bioshock and God of War 2 in their last 2 issues.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2006, 02:05:46 AM »

Quote from: "stiffler"
That guy is !nsane :lol:

:lol:

He sure is.

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2006, 02:25:13 AM »

They should credit the balance of what teh value of your remaining issues is back to you.  That's how other cancelled mags have done it.

I've still got 7 more months on mine and I expect some $$$ back.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2006, 02:29:07 AM »

Yeah I'd echo Game Informer as well.  I just like the layout and features of that mag.  Plus, at least it seems to me, that they have more full-color screenies of games.  AND BOY OH BOY DO SCREENSHOTS GET ME GOING IN THE MORNIN'!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2006, 02:39:45 AM »

I like Game Informer.  I don't know if it's the best mag out there but it's the only one I get (with the GameStop card) and it seems to do the job for me.  Plus, like depward, my students enjoy looking at the pretty pictures.  On my classroom bookshelf I have a stack of National Geographics and a stack of Game Informers.  Nobody likes the National Geographic unless it's an anthropology expose on the naked women of the Amazon.  Ah, to be young again!

Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2006, 06:41:09 AM »

Well, I got my free issues of EGM and I feel ripped off.  It's one of the worst out there, even more so than GamePro, OXM, or PC Gamer.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2006, 07:51:00 AM »

I also like Game Informer.  I tend to stay away from console specific magazines, they are a waste of time.  Well actually, most magazines these days are a waste of time since they are so outdated by the time they reach my doorstep.  They do provide for some decent bathroom reading though.  We need moving images on the pages, that would be cool!

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2006, 11:38:30 AM »

I like GI too....I started my subscription last June, about 4 months before I started working there. I like the double reviews (i.e. one full and one capsule) because it helps me get a better sense of whether I'm going to like something.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2006, 11:53:20 AM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"
The newest issue is absolutely horrible.

On the front of the demo disc it talks about "New Xbox 360 and Xbox demos!" and it turns out there's ONE 360 demo and ONE original Xbox demo.  I felt a little deceived.  I made a forum post at the official forums, but it didn't go over too well.

The mag sucks ass, too.

I just received my first issue after renewing.   :cry:

I really wished I hadn't renewed as I was thinking the other day that the only real reason I subscribed was to get the disc and since it appears that most demos will be available on Xbox Live Marketplace, I see no need to keep getting the mag.  

As TML said, this one is absolutely horrible, too.  One 360 demo of a game called Timeshift that pretty much looks like a Dreamcast game and one Xbox demo, which is the new Hitman game.  

Even the extras stink on this disc as getting all 1000 points will give you a Ghost Recon and Splinter Cell trailers and gamer pictures from another awful looking game called Crackdown.  This really might be the worst issue I have ever received.

In recent weeks, we have gotten the Battlefield and Tomb Raider demos, as well as the Ghost Recon demo for anyone that didn't already have the game.  I love the fact that they're putting up new demos regularly, but what does that leave for the OXM disc?  

I'm going to ride out my remaining 11 issues, but unless something changes drastically, this will be my last run as a subscriber to this magazine.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2006, 12:31:47 PM »

Anyone still get Computer Games? When my sub ran out they had just started a console section.  Is it any good?

CG was by far the best PC mag and I'm sure their console coverage is just as good. Anyone get it?
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2006, 02:10:25 PM »

do you guys only have the one OXM that covers xbox and xbox 360?

we still have the old OXM for xbox 1 and the new OX360M for xbox 360....wouldnt be suprised if they had away with the old soon

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2006, 03:20:32 PM »

Quote from: "metallicorphan"

we still have the old OXM for xbox 1 and the new OX360M for xbox 360....wouldnt be suprised if they had away with the old soon

Huh?
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2006, 04:29:36 PM »

We (us in the states) never had two. They just started covering the 360 too and that was that.

LiveTAG: happydog
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2006, 05:18:39 PM »

As of today, not only have I canceled my subscription, I've started throwing all my back issues away.  Adios, basura!
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2006, 06:36:17 PM »

Don't talk too positive about GameInformer here or OO. Lots of people seem to think that when offered it at the GameStop checkout line they are being insulted...

I like the free subs that have been given away lately. Had like 3-4 free subs to game mags not too long ago but they have run out for the most part now as I haven't bothered to try and renew them yet. No time for any games makes them a moot point for me unfortunately.

Playing: ? 360 | FO: New Vegas | BF4 PC / 360 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2006, 06:53:09 PM »

Quote from: "Kagath"
Don't talk too positive about GameInformer here or OO. Lots of people seem to think that when offered it at the GameStop checkout line they are being insulted...

I like the free subs that have been given away lately. Had like 3-4 free subs to game mags not too long ago but they have run out for the most part now as I haven't bothered to try and renew them yet. No time for any games makes them a moot point for me unfortunately.

Despite what a lot of people say, I enjoy going to GameStop for the most part and I feel that GI is a well written magazine with fair reveiws EXCEPT for some of their Nintendo reviews.

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2006, 07:04:56 PM »

Quote from: "GatorFavre"
Quote from: "Kagath"

Despite what a lot of people say, I enjoy going to GameStop for the most part and I feel that GI is a well written magazine with fair reveiws EXCEPT for some of their Nintendo reviews.

Totally agree - game mags are great for bathroom reading.  That's about the only reason I'll grab a game magazine.  It's usually those one's touting the "GAMES OF 2006" or whatever, with lots of previews, because I'd rather look at a lot of smaller previews in print than online.

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2006, 05:29:20 AM »

Quote from: "happydog"

We (us in the states) never had two. They just started covering the 360 too and that was that.

whats the score with the demo discs then?....do you have one with mixed demos on it then?...360/xbox 1

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2006, 02:17:42 PM »

Just an FYI: Got this response from my cancellation inquiry:

Your refund check is being processed and will arrive in the near future. This is a full refund for the unused portion of your subscription.

So I'd advise anyone who isn't happy and still has a sub (unless it was a gift) to cancel and get your phat stack back, jack.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2006, 02:53:49 PM »

I really like Game Informer. I believe they have the best multiplatform magazine by far.

Plus, the 10% extra on trade-ins and 10% off on used games is a nice bonus. smile

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2006, 03:08:53 PM »

Quote from: "ATB"
Just an FYI: Got this response from my cancellation inquiry:

Your refund check is being processed and will arrive in the near future. This is a full refund for the unused portion of your subscription.

So I'd advise anyone who isn't happy and still has a sub (unless it was a gift) to cancel and get your phat stack back, jack.

Just a heads up : if you paid $35 (example) - and they say the mag is 9USD /issue newsstand price and you were getting a 65% discount, they subtract 9USD per issue you rec'd to calculate your refund. (so if you have more than 4 mags in the subscription, it may not be worth it).

This is what they did to me when I quit their sub 2 years ago.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2006, 03:29:16 PM »

I never thought about that.

Oh well: I'd rather get 35 cents back than have to suffer through receiving it anymore.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2006, 03:52:49 PM »

Anyone still get Computer Games? When my sub ran out they had just started a console section.  Is it any good?

CG was by far the best PC mag and I'm sure their console coverage is just as good. Anyone get it?

It's not worth buying for their console section, though it's still a good magazine for the PC parts. The console reviews were usually pretty late (I think Dragon Quest VIII's review was in something like the February edition) and they don't have many previews. It's a nice add-on for those that care about both PC and console games, but it's not comparable to any of the console only magazines in content.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2006, 10:54:08 PM »

CGM's console section is generally well done (they have a few excellent writers) but isn't necessarilly substantial.  It's the type of thing that is oriented for those who sort of dabble in consoles but keep their focus on PCs.

The best console and PC magazine, bar none, is the UK magazine Edge.  Fantastic writing, layout, and design, very hard hitting reviews (a 7 in their system is actually pretty damn good) and great retrospective articles on classic games.  It's expensive as hell but worth it IMO.  Barnes and Nobles sells it for anyone who wants to check it out.
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2006, 11:09:14 PM »

Well I guess I should be glad I've never heard of OXM.

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2006, 02:04:14 AM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
The best console and PC magazine, bar none, is the UK magazine Edge.  Fantastic writing, layout, and design, very hard hitting reviews (a 7 in their system is actually pretty damn good) and great retrospective articles on classic games.  It's expensive as hell but worth it IMO.  Barnes and Nobles sells it for anyone who wants to check it out.

I bought the 2005 year in review issue because I loved the cover.  It had like 100 characters from the games of 2005 on it.  I stared at it for FAR too long.  Too bad it cost me something like $10.  From B&N, like you said.  Well, it did come with a Nintendo calendar so hey...

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2006, 03:54:28 PM »

Got my refund check of 14.55 last week.  This week Issue 58 arrived.  

Bonus!...or not as now I'll have to read through it's limp, vapid pages in hopes that something in the content contains balance and or interesting information

The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2006, 04:20:03 PM »

The new issue is awful.  The only 360 demo is The Outfit.  Welcome to 2 months ago.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: