http://gamingtrend.com
September 17, 2014, 04:01:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just bought an N64..  (Read 3105 times)
WestNile
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: February 02, 2005, 09:18:37 PM »

.. and I need some game ideas.  I have looked at a few top ten type lists, but they are full of games I have seen and some I have played.  Mainly first party stuff.  I was wondering if there are any good games for the system, that do not have the word "Mario" in the title.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Look at my new baby!
Dimmona
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2005, 09:47:54 PM »

Zelda: OoT is arguably the best game made for the system (and possibly any system).  Majora's Mask is supposed to be good too, but I never tried it.

Goldeneye, although it looks a little dated, is still suprisingly fun (and still one of the best 4 player games out there).   Perfect Dark isn't quite as good, but still fun in multiplayer.

Blast Corps is a great little game that hardly anyone played (insane difficulty though)

Banjo Kazooie is a pretty fun little platform game (as is BK2 and Donkey Kong Country).

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
dandylife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2005, 09:54:57 PM »

Mario 64 is a must buy, and I've heard many great things about Paper Mario 64 as well.  Check Gamerankings.com if you need more ideas.

Edit: can't leave out Jet Force Gemini.  It's great!

U2K Tha Greate$t on the New Orleans flooding: "The issues that happen in NO, is well you aint blind, you know how satan do things, not only that, but did you ever think why the water couldnt go now where?"
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2005, 10:03:08 PM »

i still have my N64 and pull it out once in a while...lots of great games, even if they do look a little dated.  as for must haves...

Conker's Bad Fur Day - easily one of the best N64 platformers...fun gameplay and a great sense of humor.  be warned, however, that those easily offended by foul language or jokes about bodily functions should stay away...BFD is probably the most mature N64 game released.  the humor and pop culture references make for great fun though Cool

i'll also second the votes for Banjo Kazooie and Donkey Kong 64 if you're into platformers...i do think BK is the better of the two though.  Goldeneye is still a fun FPS that holds up pretty well.  if you're into kart racing, i have Diddy Kong Racing and liked it a lot...better than Mario Kart in many ways.  Mario64 and Zelda:OoT stand out as some of the best in their respective series.  there really are a lot of great games that you can pick up for a low price now.  enjoy the new system!

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2005, 10:15:27 PM »

Quote from: "disarm"

Conker's Bad Fur Day - easily one of the best N64 platformers...fun gameplay and a great sense of humor.  be warned, however, that those easily offended by foul language or jokes about bodily functions should stay away...BFD is probably the most immature N64 game released.

There , fixed it for ya smile

Conker's is a lot of fun, but it's the antithesis of "mature" smile
warning

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2005, 11:12:56 PM »

Skip all those recommendations and go straight to Rocket: Robot on Wheels.  It's by Sucker Punch who went on to do the Sly Cooper series for the PS2.  The graphics are great, the game is a very fun platformer and it actually models physics.  Very cool "underdog" type game that most people have never heard of.
aledromo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2005, 11:32:11 PM »

I have bought two N64s in my day and sold both, only to regret it and immediately consider buying another one.  The reason for this is one game.  Perfect Dark.  If this is in your collection and you get creative with the combat simulator, you'll never need to buy another first person shooter.

Join me or die!  Can you do any less?
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2005, 12:02:12 AM »

Perfect Dark was a superior product to Goldeneye as far as graphics, sound, technology, multiplayer options, bots, etc. except for one tiny little detail....

Perfect Dark had no soul.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2005, 12:09:34 AM »

Yeah GoldenEye is FAR superior to Perfect Dark. It stands as one of the greatest shooters ever made, while Perfect Dark does not.

But nonetheless, if you want to try Perfect Dark out, I have a copy, including box and manual. If you want it, drop me a PM. I'll give it away for practically nothing.

(unique sales pitch, eh?)
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2005, 12:16:11 AM »

My only issue is why did you pay so much for one? You can get these, in fairly good condition from EBgames for next to nothing. In store that is, and you can get a warranty, and nine times out of ten the Memory pack has been left inside making it even better... Anyways. Find Ogre Battle 64, and Paper Mario(regardless of the title).

Also, check out this: http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/groups/15games50bucks/n64.asp

Eb deal to get 15 games for 50 bucks. Some decent titles in there. The wrasslin games are considered some of the best ever.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
WestNile
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2005, 12:20:10 AM »

Good suggestions.  I am going to check out both Goldeneye and Perfect Dark, because I love FPSers.  That Rocket: Robot on Wheels game looks interesting, as does Blast Corps.  Both Zeldas are a must.  I was expecting to get a few games, but now I want too many.

I payed so much because I not only wanted it to play, but I wanted it as a collectors item.  It has all the stuff that came with it when the seller bought it.  Considering that, it isn't such a bad deal.
WestNile
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2005, 01:17:00 AM »

After much deliberation (with myself), I have decided Donkey Kong 64 has to be my first game, because it comes with the expansion pak.  After that, I will take these suggestions into consideration.
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2005, 01:44:19 AM »

Oh shit, I forgot a game no one had suggested: WWF No Mercy. Great. Est. Wrestling. Game. EVER.

And NO I'm not selling my copy! Hands off!
dandylife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2005, 01:44:28 AM »

Avoid Donkey Kong 64.  Seriously.  It's the embodiment of the collect-a-thon 3d platformer.  Collect every gadget/gizmo/whatzit/whoodidle/etc.  Gameplay oriented around that.  Destroys the pacing.  Gets really old after a while.  Mario 64 and Banjo-Kazooie are more refined and far superior as far as 3d platformers go.  Choose one of them.  Or both.

Also, avoid Conker if you have an Xbox.  It's coming out in a few months on Xbox with the same single player mode, far improved graphics, and a new Live! multiplayer mode that'll probably be worth the cash.

Re: Perfect Dark has no soul.  No, not true it all.  It's got plenty of soul.  It's not quite as good as Goldeneye in singleplayer (kicks Goldeneye's butt in multiplayer, though), but it's still a really awesome, refined FPS.  Stands right next to Goldeneye as the best console FPS ever.  Plenty of great weapons, great characters, great setting, great controls.  Only thing missing is online multiplayer, which was beyond the N64 at the time.  How could anyone not like the talking computer briefcase that is rescued on the 2nd level?  What about the little talking alien dude from later in the game.  Hello?!  They help make the singleplayer lots of fun.

U2K Tha Greate$t on the New Orleans flooding: "The issues that happen in NO, is well you aint blind, you know how satan do things, not only that, but did you ever think why the water couldnt go now where?"
Torfish
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2005, 02:00:33 AM »

I loved my N64

My favorite games:
Donkey Kong 64 - sorry I really really loved this game.
Turok 2 - loved this game, very polished with great graphics.  Long game too.
Banjo Kazooie - Fun puzzles and neat bosses.
Perfect Dark - best mature game, you could do head shots and knock the weapons out of the enemies hands.  Loved the story too.
Zelda - both of them of course!
Starfox
Paper Mario
aledromo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2005, 02:41:38 AM »

WWF No Mercy is indeed the best wrestling game ever.  It's just so damn fun.  WM 2000 is also good, but incrementally less so.  

But as for Perfect Dark, I won't hear this about the game having no soul!  Single player is useless, but so is single player in Bond.  The interface is superior, the weapons are the most creative in any FPS I've ever played, and the multiplayer experience is second to none even when playing alone.  It's the best (and to my knowledge, one of the sadly few) implementations of bots.  When it's you and a buddy up against one Darksim and his 5 NormalSim teammates...and when you've foolishly given his character model the alien head...then come tell me what game has no soul.

I still have nightmares about that scenario.

aledromo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2005, 02:43:07 AM »

Oh, and the only thing that Bond had going for it was its license.  It's a great game, but it was improved on in every way by Perfect Dark.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2005, 03:22:29 AM »

Quote from: "aledromo"
WWF No Mercy is indeed the best wrestling game ever.  It's just so damn fun.  WM 2000 is also good, but incrementally less so.

Completely agree with you there. Why some company can't put together this basic formula and put it into a next generation title is beyond me.

Zelda is a must. Arguably the best Zelda title ever made.

Conker is also a must. If you have any sense of humor at all, you'll be busting a gut at many places of the game. Just remember the timeperiod when it was made, as some of the jokes were funny back then. Of course, who can't forget the Great Mighty Poo? biggrin

Starfox 64 is a fun shooter to pick up. It also shows the origin of the Rumble Pack (a device that has been in every controller since then in some form), as well as the feat of a ton of voice in a very tiny space (as far as the storage space of carts go).

Many other games as well fall into the 'amazingly great' category.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2005, 05:06:57 AM »

I loathed Donkey Kong 64 - went from play to work very quickly. Mario 64 and Banjo Kazooie are much better games, if you're looking for that kind of game.

You also have to grab Conker (unless you have an Xbox), Perfect Dark, Ocarina of Time, and Majora's Mask. I also remember really liking Rogue Sqadron before I got stuck about 3/4 into it.

But, if I had to have one N64 game ... I think it would actually be Majora's Mask. (For those in the know, I still feel sorry for the Butler. *Sniff*)

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2005, 06:20:25 AM »

Dr. Mario if you like Tetris-style addicting games.  we still play head to head or multi-player games of it (up to four players, but two is best IMO;
Tetrisphere, puzzler - if you want to drive yourself nuts - but make sure you get the manual.
Rocket Robot definitely - if you don't mind platforming, racing, mini-games, collecting, solving - and more. with great graphics, innovation, and variety.  and kids love it, if you have any of those.
Zelda Ocarina - but, of course!

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Doopliss
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2005, 07:01:17 AM »

Jet Force Gemini-This is probably my favorite game made by Rare.  It reminds me a bit of Ratchet and Clank: Going Commando, since the emphasis is on cartoony characters wreaking havoc with big weapons.    The only thing that really drags it down are the item fetch-quests towards the end.  

Ogre Battle 64-Great strategy rpg.  If you're not scared of micro-mangagement then you should give it a try.  It might be a bit hard to hunt down a copy, though.

Also, YES YES YES to Paper Mario, the Zeldas, and Mario 64.
WestNile
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2005, 08:42:56 PM »

Well, I decided to get Super Mario 64 and The Legend of Zelda - Majora's Mask.  I also got the Expansion Pak.

I have a question, as I am trying to get all my games complete.  Did every game come with a clear, plastic sleave that the cart sits in?  Super Mario 64 does, and Majora's Mask as well, a lot of the games on eBay that say they are complete do not.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2005, 08:58:04 PM »

Well, I decided to get Super Mario 64 and The Legend of Zelda - Majora's Mask. I also got the Expansion Pak.

if you're patient with majora's mask, you'll be well rewarded - good way thru it now (on the cube), & enjoying it more every session - a very memorable, unique game (tho i can understand how it confused/angered/disappointed some people)...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2005, 09:11:18 PM »

I actually like Majora's Mask more than Ocarina of Time.  Mostly because Ocarina of Time felt very generic to me (probably because it's very, very similar to A Link to the Past) and because Majora's Mask is just so... different, in the way it chose to tell its story and have its plot develop.

Ocarina of Time is the better-designed game, but Majora's Mask truly is more inspired.

As for Goldeneye vs. Perfect Dark --

Goldeneye all the way.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2005, 11:30:02 PM »

I'd rather replay Majora over Ocarina any day. I just wish that the dungeons had been bigger, and that the devs had come up with an excuse along the lines that the dungeons were detached from time and existed in their own plane of existence - or something stupid like that - so that a player could save the game in them and experience the sprawling dungeons of OoT.

Nile, just remember that, when playing Majora, the owl statues are your friends. Use them well.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
croman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2005, 07:23:37 PM »

I have thought about buying a used N64 for the sole reason of playing Tetrisphere. Great Game!
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2005, 08:53:27 PM »

When my gamecube to USB adaptor arrives, I am going to play MM emulated so I can bypass that HORRIFIC save game system. I am very excited about it!

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2005, 09:26:23 PM »

Man, all this talk makes me want to go out and pick up a copy of Mario 64.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
WestNile
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2005, 12:08:45 PM »

So far, Super Mario 64 has been a mixed bag.  Some parts are fun, but the camera is the worst I have ever delt with.

The game feels like it was designed to be a pain in the ass.  Not just because of the camera, but because it seems that the maps were made to use the camera against you.  It's like they want you to have to be half blind while you jump from narrow platform to the next, for the challenge of it.  The parts of the game that are not about fighting the camera are fun though.

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask has been awesome.  The game throws a ton of weight on your sholders right from the begining, and it never goes away.  It feels like I am playing the games climax the entire time.

I bought Perfect Dark, for cheap, so I am expecting that, in the mail, soon.

My must buy list:

The Legend of Zelda:  Ocarina of Time
Paper Mario
Ridge Racer 64
Blast Corps
Goldeneye 007
Mario Tennis
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2005, 09:25:13 PM »

The camera system must seem a little archaic, but that's only because Mario 64 pioneered the 3D camera and 3D platformer. Back in the day, the camera was awesome ... but I can see how it would be a little frustrating now.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: