http://gamingtrend.com
August 22, 2014, 11:58:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just beat HL2 *Spoilers*  (Read 6866 times)
BigRedCat
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2004, 07:13:10 PM »

Quote from: "Elenkis"
The fish IS out in the ocean if you go too far with no boat.

I've only ever encountered the leeches from swimming too far.

Yeah I know, but the fish is out there on at least one level. I can't remember which or where however.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2004, 07:31:01 PM »

Quote from: "BigRedCat"
Quote from: "Elenkis"
The fish IS out in the ocean if you go too far with no boat.

I've only ever encountered the leeches from swimming too far.

Yeah I know, but the fish is out there on at least one level. I can't remember which or where however.

I, for one, am very happy that the fish wasn't featured in any of the gameplay.  That thing scared the crap out of me in the first game.  I don't do very well with any games that have you swimming through underwater environments with killer sharks/fish (Tomb Raider 2 and NOLF come to mind).
BigRedCat
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2004, 07:35:19 PM »

Don't forget the dam level and a few others from HL1. Holy cow that shark could move. I loved it breaking surface and nailing it with rockets.
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2004, 08:07:52 PM »

Those levels are a little easier now with Half Life: Source. It has the water transparency effect so you can actually see the shark when it's near the surface and don't have to wait for him to surface to know where to send your rocket.

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2004, 09:03:47 PM »

WOWY WOW WOW WOW!

Just beat HL2 and I am VERy satisfied with the entire game including the ending.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
jonsauce
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2004, 10:46:52 PM »

WOWY WOW WOW WOW!

Just beat HL2 and I am VERy satisfied with the entire game including the ending.

Congrats!  I can see you feel the same way I did.  I have already dove back into the game and I'm about 1/3 of the way through again.  It really is an awesome game.

Now Playing
--------------
NHL 09
NFL Head Coach 09
Red Faction Guerilla
Rockband 2
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2004, 11:32:22 PM »

I'm also into my second playthrough. God I love the entire Nova Prospekt section. It's a blast! Tossing those little ball things at the soldiers and watching the ant-lions just rip into them was great. A cool moment out on the beach with said weapon was tossing one up into a sniper tower type thing, and one of the antlions flying all the way up the opposite side of the tower, running around the back of it, and then seeing the soldier fly out and down onto the beach on the other side.  I wish I was quicker on the screenshot key as at the highest point of the throw the soldier's arms and legs were splayed out in all directions. It was one of those really awesome game moments.

It's only slightly outshone by the overall level design during the last stage. I was in awe of the entire thing.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2004, 11:46:05 PM »

Yes, when you enter the final area it's like, like,  I just sat there in awe. Then you get to ride the pod to your next location, and get to observe all that beautiful architecture; seeing something I've never seen in a game before.  

My two word review of the game is:

Just Beautiful.
10/10

I look forward to the modifications and expansions.

Did anyone notice ,the second time you rode the pod, those tank like creatures walking along the walkway? I bet we get to see those in action in an expansion or the sequel!

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2004, 07:31:09 AM »

Just beat it today (yes I'm slow, but I take my time smile

I was blown away on that tram ride.  Talk about atmosphere galore.  I kept thinking, why do I want to get in one of these things, it's going to immobilize me and take control.  I kept thinking about Matrix, do i want to take the right tram, or left tram... (red vs blue pill)

Anyways, quite a game, still wish the story was more upfront with you as you go along.
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2004, 03:57:17 PM »

I would give it a 4 out of 10. Maybe just a 3. I don't know. It did have pretty textures.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2004, 01:06:21 AM »

For those that are seeking some insight into what's going on in the HL2 universe, here's an excellent site that has a good breakdown of everything that's happened.

A dev at Valve also confirmed that most of it is accurate.

http://members.shaw.ca/storage_4/hl2story/

I'm can't remember where I got this link, it might be from another poster here or at OO.  So don't kill me if someone else mentioned this before.
O.DOGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2004, 01:00:19 PM »

Quote from: "Rob_Merritt"
I would give it a 4 out of 10. Maybe just a 3. I don't know. It did have pretty textures.

I feel the same way, Rob. I think the best parts of the game were the first couple of levels where you can see the oppressive, Orwellian reality of City 17, before you get your weapons. I think that they should have abandoned the HL formula and done something like a Deus Ex type of game where you go underground and through a combination of character interaction, problem solving and gunplay bring about the fall of Dr. Breen and the ruling Combine class. Maybe that's just me, though. As it is, the game felt shallow and empty. It was very pretty, though - no doubt about that.

My smile still stays on.
DArtagnan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2004, 02:27:03 PM »

3 or 4?

Well, to each his own, but come on. Yes, it's a rail shooter, and yes it's not terribly innovative in a non-technical sense.

Even though you can never be entirely objective when you judge the merits of something, it becomes mostly meaningless to speak your mind if you don't take into account things other than your own emotional response to whatever it might be.

The game is obviously a technical marvel, and no one truly honest can deny that it's executed with an enormous amount of care and dedication. Naturally, if you don't like shooter gameplay, you could be indifferent towards that. I personally MUCH prefer games like System Shock and Deus Ex, and would consider that type of gameplay succesfully combined with the Source engine, the proverbial wet dream.

But even so, I recognize what HL2 is. It's an absurdly impressive game, everything considered, and a very fine first person shooter that succesfully mixes a lot of gameplay elements.

Give credit where it's due guys.
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2004, 03:24:16 PM »

Finished it last week and I'm on my second play-through.  Outstanding, amazing game.  I'd give it around a 9.5 overall.  Story and atmosphere are the elements I enjoy the most in games and HL2 had them in spades.  Throw in gorgeous graphics and rock-solid gameplay and it's one for the ages.

Oh, and I believe it was the 7 hour war, not day.
Reed
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: November 29, 2004, 03:44:29 PM »

I can't imagine anyone giving HL2 less than a 8/10 with good conscience.

Best game ever? N'ah, but one of the best, certainly one of the best this year.

And now that Valve has the Source engine pretty well set, the potential for HL3 (or whatever they do next w/ it), is simply huge.
bluefugue
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 29, 2004, 07:39:09 PM »

Wow, way to put more pressure on Valve!  Let 'em take a vacation, huh?  :wink:

I'd give HL2 probably an 8/10.  I don't dole 9s and 10s out liberally.  Rome Total War is maybe a 9.5 and that's one of the best games I have ever played.  I *might* bump HL2 up to 8.5 out of respect for its superb style and polish, but I don't think so.  There are too many games I've enjoyed more, and I don't want to have to cram them all between 8.5 and 9.5...

I'd say it's a very good game, nothing to complain about, worth every penny, job well done; but falls short of "messianic/blows my mind/rocks my world" category.

It's kinda like PS: Torment that way.  :wink:
Kermy
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2004, 07:48:01 PM »

Yea have to agree, 8.5 is about what I would give it.
BigRedCat
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 29, 2004, 08:13:04 PM »

Quote from: "DArtagnan"
3 or 4?

Well, to each his own, but come on. Yes, it's a rail shooter, and yes it's not terribly innovative in a non-technical sense.

Even though you can never be entirely objective when you judge the merits of something, it becomes mostly meaningless to speak your mind if you don't take into account things other than your own emotional response to whatever it might be.

The game is obviously a technical marvel, and no one truly honest can deny that it's executed with an enormous amount of care and dedication. Naturally, if you don't like shooter gameplay, you could be indifferent towards that. I personally MUCH prefer games like System Shock and Deus Ex, and would consider that type of gameplay succesfully combined with the Source engine, the proverbial wet dream.

But even so, I recognize what HL2 is. It's an absurdly impressive game, everything considered, and a very fine first person shooter that succesfully mixes a lot of gameplay elements.

Give credit where it's due guys.

Yes, giving it a three or four is absurd. I HATE Farcry but I can see alot of it is impressive and would give it at least a seven on principle. A 3 or 4 game is buggy/way behind the graphics curve and no fun to play at best. Please.
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: November 29, 2004, 11:12:57 PM »

I view 5 out of 10 as average. I think most of you are grading on an ign scale where 7 out of 10 is failure.
Why use a 1 to 10 scale if you only use the last 2 numbers?

On an ign like scale, I would put HL2 at a 6.8 out of 10. With Doom 3 being an 8 and Far Cry 9.3. (and one FPS released this year I rank over Farcry)

Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 29, 2004, 11:13:21 PM »

Personally, I thought HL2 was a great game.  But, unlike the most of you, I liked Far Cry more.  Dunno why, but I felt more immersed and had more fun with it.  So, Far Cry is still my GOTY  slywink

bluefugue
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 30, 2004, 01:56:34 AM »

Yeah I guess my scale is more along the lines of school grades... anything below 60 isn't good.  80 is still very good, though.  Not "average" by any stretch.  I consider Half Life 2 an excellent game, just not GOTY-worthy.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: November 30, 2004, 05:43:53 AM »

Definitely my GOTY - the only game I played this year that was as good as HL2 was KOTOR, and as that was released *last* year...
DArtagnan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 30, 2004, 07:58:33 AM »

I view 5 out of 10 as average. I think most of you are grading on an ign scale where 7 out of 10 is failure.
Why use a 1 to 10 scale if you only use the last 2 numbers?

On an ign like scale, I would put HL2 at a 6.8 out of 10. With Doom 3 being an 8 and Far Cry 9.3. (and one FPS released this year I rank over Farcry)

Actually, my "scale" is probably closer to Gamespot's as they tend to be the most objective and fair, in my opinion. Note I use the word "most" as they also are outrageously far off sometimes IMHO.

Even so, I think most people are of the opinion that 5 out of 10 is not average. 5 out of 10 is half. Average is what is normal. Look at all the games released, and combine their scores, then divide by the number of games. Then you'll find what is average. Now, I don't know the result, but I'd be very surprised if it's not between 6 and 8.

You are of course welcome to use your own private system, but you should be prepared for a lot of misunderstandings.
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 30, 2004, 03:19:14 PM »

Yes, bluefugue got it, the scaling comes from going to school for at least 12 years where anything below 70% is considered unacceptable.  Passing in that scale uses the last 4 numbers (7,8,9,10) not 2.  I think it's scaled well because mediocrity is not really a goal people should strive for.  So the passing mark is set at least one above the middle (6 or a D if that's included in your system) or two above for more strict results.

Still my GOTY as nothing has come close to it for me on X-Box or PC.  It has actually soured me to most of my other games because I now realize how many average games I've been playing in my search for a game like this one.  KOTOR was the last one to grab me like this and before that it was the original Halo.  If KOTOR II ends up disappointing (crosses fingers that it isn't) I'll probably just go back and play HL and then HL2 again.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 06, 2004, 03:42:23 PM »

Alright, I found the big easter egg in the game - the Vortigon that "knows everything." Basically, he spells out for you in that rambling Vortigon/Yoda-speak exactly who they were and the situation surrounding Black Mesa. Combine that with the wall in Eli's Black Mesa East and the picture becomes clearer.

The Black Mesa experiment opened the doorway to Xen, and the master alien there, Nihilanth, attacked.

The Vortigon explains that they were a slave race under Nihilanth, whom you killed at the end of the first game. They do not forgive you for killing so many of their kind, but as there was nothing they could do BUT attack, they understand the circumstances.

Then you look at Eli's wall and it becomes clearer: You were never fighting to end the portal experiment gone awry, you were fighting off one of the alien races attacking us through the portals. As such, you defeated one enemy but others (The Combine) came through the other portals and attacked Earth. Breen then lead the surrender after the 7 Hour War. Some 15-20 years later, the G-Man wakes Gordon up saying it was his time come 'round again. I'm guessing because at that point, the human resistance has finally figured out teleporters enough to where the knowledge matches that of Black Mesa and can reasonably be controlled. Why that tips off the G-Man to bring Gordon back to bring down the Combine is anyone's guess though.

So that's what I've pieced together and it makes more sense now. That Vortigon was a tricky one to find though. After you defeat the Combine HK Helicopter at the end of the airboat sequence, you open a gate. Drive to the far back corner of that next section and you'll see two sewer grates. The one on the left is slightly open. Climb onto your airboat and boost yourself up in there. Haul ass through the sewage and at the end is the Vortigon. smile

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 06, 2004, 04:11:12 PM »

By far the best explanation is here.  It is a fun read and very well done.

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 06, 2004, 07:38:13 PM »

Quote from: "farley2k"

Damn! And I was all proud of myself for connecting the dots on my own. smile You're right - that is a cool site with nifty explanations. I like the chronology of the Combine. Hopefully we'll get to hunt them down on their own turf in HL3. biggrin

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 07, 2004, 12:44:59 AM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
So that's what I've pieced together and it makes more sense now. That Vortigon was a tricky one to find though. After you defeat the Combine HK Helicopter at the end of the airboat sequence, you open a gate. Drive to the far back corner of that next section and you'll see two sewer grates. The one on the left is slightly open. Climb onto your airboat and boost yourself up in there. Haul ass through the sewage and at the end is the Vortigon.

there are a few Vortigaunts in the game that run through that same bit of dialog.  i found the one you mentioned, but you can get all that info at an earlier point as well.  talk to the one who puts the gun on your airboat after he has given you the gun and he'll run through the same speech.  they definitely give a lot of information that helps to clear up a few plot points Cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
TheOneWhoStoodUp
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 07, 2004, 08:32:59 AM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
Quote from: "farley2k"

Damn! And I was all proud of myself for connecting the dots on my own. smile You're right - that is a cool site with nifty explanations. I like the chronology of the Combine. Hopefully we'll get to hunt them down on their own turf in HL3. biggrin

Agreed.  Awesome find!
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: December 11, 2004, 10:18:30 PM »

Beat it 30 minutes ago and I have to say the last hour with the new-and-improved grav gun made the whole game worth the ride.  Up til then I was kinda liking it alright but not as overwhelmed as I had hoped, but man, from that point on it was quite cool.  Loved it.  

Alot of questions left unanswered in the end.  Bring on 3.

My biggest disappointment, besides the fact that the game stuttered a helluva lot, was the fact that two of the preview movies I watched never made it to the game.  The one where the strider blows up the building-to-building walkway, and the one where the water-creature skewers the guard.  Don't remember ever seeing those in the game.  

Overall, I am pleased.  Still like Far Cry and Doom 3 more simply because they ran flawlessly on my computer, whereas HL2 stuttered almost constantly.  Otherwise I would have liked them all equally.  

This has been the best year of gaming ever-for me anyway.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 12, 2004, 12:37:56 AM »

The water tentacle creature was cut because they couldn't get the creature AI to work so that it was a fun creature to fight.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 16, 2004, 07:39:07 PM »

Just finished last night.  It was a fun ride, but I liked HL1 more.  I'm interested in seeing where HL3 goes, as well as what other games use this engine.  It sure it pretty.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 21, 2004, 05:09:14 AM »

And... Done!

It only took me a little over a month too.

If only World of Warcraft hadn't reared its ugly head I could have posted earlier with the rest of you.

Anyway... fantabulous game.  The ending was perfect.
\/\/olverine
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 27, 2004, 06:05:07 AM »

I've been playing the game on and off for the past few weeks so now that I've beaten the game I can't figure out if HL2 is really short or it was just so entertaining time flew. Overall I would rate the game 7/10 meaning its a very good game, but falls short mostly in the gameplay department not because it was a rail shooter but because really the game hasn't advanced much since the first game. Sure, the grav gun is awesome but really how many times did you use the environment to take out an enemy over your standard weapons? Not much for me because it just didn't seem practical or convenient.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: