http://gamingtrend.com
November 22, 2014, 03:26:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just beat HL2 *Spoilers*  (Read 6931 times)
Louis Cypher
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 19, 2004, 12:55:10 AM »

1st let me say, WOW...In thetop 10 of my Fav. games ever!

*Spoilers*

The modified Gravity gun kicks ass, I only wish it was that powerful the en tire game.  The ending was really my only disappointment.  You didnt get much of a back story to tie up some loose ends from the 1st HL, and it was a typical clifhanger ending that a lot of games have these days. Who were the combine? What did they really look like. What happened to Gordan from the 1st game? Is the Gman omnipotent? (ok thats pushing it, but how did he stop time/come back from the dead?) Any imput or theories, please add them

Live Gamer Tag: Kitten0Death
PSN: CabriX
jonsauce
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2004, 02:04:47 AM »

The modified Gravity gun kicks ass, I only wish it was that powerful the en tire game. The ending was really my only disappointment. You didnt get much of a back story to tie up some loose ends from the 1st HL, and it was a typical clifhanger ending that a lot of games have these days. Who were the combine? What did they really look like. What happened to Gordan from the 1st game? Is the Gman omnipotent? (ok thats pushing it, but how did he stop time/come back from the dead?) Any imput or theories, please add them

Yeah, that modified Grav Gun was sweet!  I am glad it wasn't like that the rest of the game though, it would have made the last few levels not quite as special.  Also there would be zero reason for most of the other weapons earlier in the game.  Not to mention the game would be far to easy.  I didn't mind having the last few levels be easy though.  It let me concentrate more on what was going on rather than trying to survive.

I thought the ending was perfect, at least for a Half Life game.

Alot of your questions (not all) could be answered by looking around during the game.  The combine invaded earth in the 7 day war.  Dr. Breen headed up earths surrender so he was made the new "leader".  

I kinda wondered what they really looked like too.  Although there is a poster somewhere in the game that shows the evolution of Ape to Man to Combine.

I think Gordon has been in a sedated state since the first game, but I'm not sure.  What I do know (What I have been told from people who bought the Raising The Bar book is that the G-man can control time.  So from what I gather he stopped time just as the explosion occurred.  He definately saved Gordon from it, I'm not sure about Alyx.

Anyways, I loved the game, loved the ending, and I can't wait for some expansion packs / Half Life 3 smile

Some people are speculating that Valve is already working on Half Life 3 or that it will be using the same engine.  I'm not sure about that but I would shell out another $50 in a few months if it came out smile  I'm not planning on it happening though.

Now Playing
--------------
NHL 09
NFL Head Coach 09
Red Faction Guerilla
Rockband 2
Louis Cypher

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2004, 03:33:16 AM »

Actually with you explaning that to me, I like the ending a lot better!  :lol: I think I was playing so fast I didnt see some of the clues to answer my questions.  I'll bet the G-man can control time with whatever is in his suitcase :twisted: But seriously, thanks for clearing some of that up for me.

jonsauce
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2004, 03:38:26 AM »

bet the G-man can control time with whatever is in his suitcase

Lol, I like that comment smile  I'm glad I could clear some stuff up for you also smile

Now Playing
--------------
NHL 09
NFL Head Coach 09
Red Faction Guerilla
Rockband 2
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2004, 04:37:24 AM »

You all finished the game  :shock: ??? WTF  :shock:
you know what some of you people really have  to much time on your hands. drool I envy you all.

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ()  ()  ()
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ()  ()  ()
PS3 Spinks
GungHo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2004, 06:02:58 AM »

Quote from: "juniordan"
You all finished the game  :shock: ??? WTF  :shock:
you know what some of you people really have  to much time on your hands. drool I envy you all.

Or we work nights, and so while the rest of the world sleeps, we play.  Cause despite their name, 24 Hour Fitness ain't open 24 hours a day(least not by me), and with the g/f at work, what else have I got to do?

No you're right; I do have too much time.   biggrin

Oh and back on topic, the end was fantastic.  I had so much fun with those last 2 levels, I was laughing out loud almost the whole time.  ANd whiel I wish more questions had been answered, I still love the ending cause I know they'll answer those questions in HL3.   Just makes its inevitable appearance all the much sweeter.  ANd the G-man's appearance and dialogue were *PERFECT*.

I had one...
GungHo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2004, 06:07:03 AM »

Hmmm, double post apparently.  Sorry.   :oops:

I had one...
Louis Cypher

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2004, 07:22:03 AM »

I went back to play some levels with the super gravity gun, man thats fun, you can pick up ANY living thing and toss them! Also you can pick up pretty much anything that isint bolted down.

Here is me picking up and "killing" Father Gregory

and tossing a combine grunt into the ocean

Louis Cypher

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2004, 07:55:09 AM »

This is soo much fun!

jonsauce
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2004, 08:31:28 AM »

Oh man, I am going to have to go back and use that gun in some earlier levels smile

Now Playing
--------------
NHL 09
NFL Head Coach 09
Red Faction Guerilla
Rockband 2
Louis Cypher

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2004, 08:34:13 AM »

Its fun but be careful, some things crash the game if you pick them up.  The buggy, and the combine tanks are ones I know of.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2004, 09:23:44 AM »

Well first off, we all know there'll be a HL3.  They've been saying that since they first annouced HL2.  Hopefully they'll cap of everything in that installment.

And you get the upgraded gravity gun if you start a new game?  Cool!  I loved the last part of the game with that gun.  Really capped off the whole deal, where before you were just trying to survive, now you've got a badass gun and are finally taking it to the combine.

The G-man ending was once again perfect, along with the frozen explosion scene.  Alyx is such a great character that there's no doubt she'll be back in later installments.

Anyone else take note of G-man's comment about other parties being interested in Gordon?  Makes me wonder if they're going to produce some downloadable expansions that are short side stories.
BigRedCat
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2004, 02:29:26 PM »

No, you don't get the gun automatically, it's a cheat.

BTW, Father Gregory laughed maniacally while walking around on fire while I left....I hope he's in HL3.
Louis Cypher

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2004, 04:35:44 PM »

Quote from: "BigRedCat"

BTW, Father Gregory laughed maniacally while walking around on fire while I left....I hope he's in HL3.
I never said I got it automatically :?: of course its a cheat, but since I beat the game, I think I deserve it :lol:

gilgamex
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2004, 07:30:42 PM »

Ok i give up. What is the command to get the modified gravity gun? All of the codes on the net are pretty much useless.

"give weapon_physcannon"

gives you the normal gravity gun. All of the codes that I have seen have a "give weapon_physgun" but this command is invalid (along with about 60% of the other commands in these so-called code lists)

I have finished the game legit and now want to have some fun with the new and improved gravity gun.

Great game btw.
BigRedCat
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2004, 07:53:50 PM »

Quote from: "Louis Cypher"

I never said I got it automatically :?: of course its a cheat, but since I beat the game, I think I deserve it :lol:

I understand, Turtle however seemed to think you DO get it automatically. I should've quoted.
Louis Cypher

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2004, 08:33:16 PM »

I understand, Turtle however seemed to think you DO get it automatically. I should've quoted.
oops haha, I didnt see his post.:oops:

To gilgamex, you need to start the game on a level where you have the new grav gun, then you need to to use the sv_cheats 1 command.  You HAVE to use the change level command, pick an earlier level (the list sould come up after u type change level) then when you start the new level, you HAVE to type in give weapon_physcannon

it works

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2004, 01:05:09 AM »

Eh, the ending wasn't too hot.  I equate it to the Matrix Reloaded ending:  You know the next one's story is going to be REALLY cool or REALLY awful.

Some other thoughts:

*The G-Man obviously controls time and compressed time between the end of HL1 and the beginning of HL2.  We know this because he says "I'm sure it seemed like a short time... span." at the end.  Chances are it's through the use of the "delayed teleport" that Alyx and Gordon used in the last third of the game.

*The G-Man cares about Gordon to the extent that Gordon is of use.  He's not saving Gordon's life at the end out of generosity, he's doing it to use him later.  This implies the G-Man has a selfish motive which involves the opposition of the Combine.

*I'm not sure if there's significance in the ramblings of the other travelers at the beginning of the game, or whether it's just a red herring.  The guy talking about not remembering how he got there and warning Gordon not to drink the water, as it'll make you forget, is strange.  Indeed, I can't remember anyone mentioning how they came to be in City 17 in the first place...

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2004, 06:20:00 AM »

I just now finished. Wonderful game. The art design of the citadel was absolutely phenomenal.

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
RashG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2004, 01:26:07 PM »

Quote from: "Gryndyl"
I just now finished. Wonderful game. The art design of the citadel was absolutely phenomenal.

Art design of the whole game was excellent.

The ending was cool, but somehow it made the story and characters seem minor in the big picture.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2004, 09:28:58 PM »

and tossing a combine grunt into the ocean

FORE!!!!!

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
bluefugue
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2004, 12:43:31 PM »

Loved "Our Benefactors" with the souped up gravity gun.  The noninteractive "tram ride" in the body cocoon was one of the best parts of the game for me, and the super-grav-gun out-Jedi-Outcasted Jedi Outcast.  The level was easy, but in a good way; it was fun to just mow through Combine guys and be a god on earth.

That said, I find it odd that after waltzing through the Citadel with an insanely powerful weapon, you then have to deliver yourself as a prisoner to Dr. Breen.... sure it all works out in the end, but you don't know that at the time...

I wanted some more story detail, filling in the backstory between the Black Mesa Event and the rise of Dr. Breen and the combine.  And I would like to know a little bit about who the G-man's eh-eh-eh-employers really are.  (Perhaps he works for John Ashcroft?)
jonsauce
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2004, 02:51:02 PM »

you then have to deliver yourself as a prisoner to Dr. Breen.... sure it all works out in the end, but you don't know that at the time...

I'm not sure Gordon got on the last ride expecting to be delivered to Dr. Breen.  I certainly didn't.

And Dr. Breen came to power after he headed up earth's surrender in the 7 Day War.

Now Playing
--------------
NHL 09
NFL Head Coach 09
Red Faction Guerilla
Rockband 2
bluefugue
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2004, 03:25:31 PM »

Ok fair enough... but it's always a bit dangerous to put yourself in a giant metal cocoon.  Of course, the way the level is designed, there is no other way, and I guess Gordon had such a positive experience with his previous cocoon ride that he couldn't resist.  Just seems like a weird hiccup, one minute you're mowing your way through the Citadel, next second you're meek as a mouse and dependent on that traitorous whatsername to save you.  It was a narrative shift that didn't quite work for me, somehow.
bluefugue
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2004, 03:28:12 PM »

Is this "7 day war" ever mentioned in game?  I tried to listen to all the dialogue and never heard it mentioned.  Or is this one of those Blair Witch "if you want to know the story seek out external sources" deals?

And if aliens decided to invade earth after the Black Mesa Incident, what good did Gordon's destruction of Nihilanth do?  What purpose did it serve?  Was it only so that the G-man's eh-eh-eh-employers could control Xen, sans any impact on how events would unfold on Earth?  And what, if any, is the connection between the Benefactors and the Xen species?

And who the *&*%$*! does the Gman work for anyway????  biggrin
jonsauce
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2004, 04:20:21 PM »

The series isn't over, so we don't know all the answers.  The G-Man is mysterious on purpose.

You can find out about the 7 Day War and Earth's Surrender in Eli's lab.  Just look around smile

The game purposely doesn't explain the story outright.  Its meant for you to look around and find clues to the story.  Personally I like that but alot of people seem to hate it.

Now Playing
--------------
NHL 09
NFL Head Coach 09
Red Faction Guerilla
Rockband 2
bluefugue
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2004, 05:59:48 PM »

Replayed Black Mesa East... read the newspapers this time around.  I don't recall hearing Eli's dialogue about the 7 Hour War before... I wonder if you have to stand next to the newspapers to trigger it, or if I just missed it the first time around...

Anyway thanks for the heads up.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2004, 06:35:25 PM »

To reply to an earlier comment:

You do see what the combine look like out of uniform- there are several of them in Citadel that you can see on the tram rides.  They looked very HR Geiger-esque.  If you have the Collector's edition DVD the preview of Raising the Bar features some of the concept art for them.
bluefugue
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2004, 07:07:32 PM »

Are those the emaciated-looking guys?
Valael
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2004, 09:27:29 PM »

To gilgamex, you need to start the game on a level where you have the new grav gun, then you need to to use the sv_cheats 1 command. You HAVE to use the change level command, pick an earlier level (the list sould come up after u type change level) then when you start the new level, you HAVE to type in give weapon_physcannon

I tried and I tried and I couldn't get it to work.

I started the final chapter of the game, had cheats enabled, and used "MAP" to change the level.  Then I typed in give weapon_physcannon, only to end up with the vanilla Gravity Gun.

Am I missing something?

If I added a sig, would you read it?
bluefugue
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2004, 09:29:29 PM »

Same deal for me -- tried it once, couldn't get it to work.  Started in Dark Energy, then switched map to Route Kanal and summoned the physcannon, just got the vanilla one.  Which is still pretty cool to have at such an early level, mind you.
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2004, 04:05:51 AM »

Just finished the game.  I loved it up until the end.  When the G-Man showed up I was thinking "wtf... wheres the big alien boss battle?!?!?  I didn't care for the ending.  Seemed very anti-climactic to me.  

Also, I remember seeing this screenshot and video sequence.  So when the g man showed up at the end I initally thought I wasn't through as I hadn't seen that sequence yet.  Did they just nix it or did I miss it somewhere?

Edit:  Oh, remember at the beginning, Gordon is warped around a lot during the portal sequence?  I swore at one point a big shark thing made a bite at him.  That got me excited as I loved the water creature bit from the first half llife.  I was hoping for a bigger, badder sea monster this time around.  Oh well.  In the end, awesome game, but I still like HL1 more.

Louis Cypher

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2004, 04:06:35 AM »

Quote from: "Valael"
To gilgamex, you need to start the game on a level where you have the new grav gun, then you need to to use the sv_cheats 1 command. You HAVE to use the change level command, pick an earlier level (the list sould come up after u type change level) then when you start the new level, you HAVE to type in give weapon_physcannon

I tried and I tried and I couldn't get it to work.

I started the final chapter of the game, had cheats enabled, and used "MAP" to change the level.  Then I typed in give weapon_physcannon, only to end up with the vanilla Gravity Gun.

Am I missing something?
yes you NEED to type in "change level" not map

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2004, 04:15:58 AM »

Quote from: "Interloper"
Also, I remember seeing this screenshot and video sequence.  So when the g man showed up at the end I initally thought I wasn't through as I hadn't seen that sequence yet.  Did they just nix it or did I miss it somewhere?

Edit:  Oh, remember at the beginning, Gordon is warped around a lot during the portal sequence?  I swore at one point a big shark thing made a bite at him.  That got me excited as I loved the water creature bit from the first half llife.  I was hoping for a bigger, badder sea monster this time around.  Oh well.
Yeah, neither of those sections were in the game.  Makes you wonder why they made a screenshot out of the first and teased you with the fish, despite never encountering it.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2004, 04:30:43 AM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"

Edit:  Oh, remember at the beginning, Gordon is warped around a lot during the portal sequence?  I swore at one point a big shark thing made a bite at him.  That got me excited as I loved the water creature bit from the first half llife.  I was hoping for a bigger, badder sea monster this time around.  Oh well.
Yeah, neither of those sections were in the game.  Makes you wonder why they made a screenshot out of the first and teased you with the fish, despite never encountering it.

The water tentacle is commented on in the excerpt from Rasing the Bar that came with the DVD edition.  Evidently they could never get its AI to work such that it was fun for the player to fight them so it was cut from the final game.

Another sequence missing is the Ice Breaker.  According to the Behind the Game piece on Gamespot that was supposed to be the opening of the game but was removed for pacing reasons.  

A shot I never encountered in the game:  in the pre-release stuff there was a screenshot of a sequnce on what looks to be the beach with antlions and a beached submarine.  I never saw that in the game- did I miss it?

EDIT:  Here is the shot I was referring to.  It looks like Lighthouse Point in the distance.

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6112889/screens_6112889.html?page=31
BigRedCat
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2004, 04:41:56 AM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"

The fish IS out in the ocean if you go too far with no boat.
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2004, 04:51:26 AM »

I tried taking a swim in the ocean.  Only thing I came across was a bunch of small worms/leaches that nearly insta-killed me  slywink

Incendiary Lemon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2004, 05:38:50 AM »

Kevin I think thats Nova Prospect in the background.
Elenkis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2004, 06:30:00 AM »

I've only ever encountered the leeches from swimming too far.

www.giantbomb.com

Go Patriots!
Go Bruins!
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2004, 06:59:17 AM »

Quote from: "Incendiary Lemon"
Kevin I think thats Nova Prospect in the background.

Yep, I think you're right.  Considering that you get to Nova Prospekt during twilight and the shot is from broad daylight I'm guessing its a segment that was cut from the game.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: