http://gamingtrend.com
August 22, 2014, 04:23:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: July NPD Figures  (Read 3439 times)
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2008, 06:45:52 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on August 20, 2008, 05:31:42 PM

I can imagine an office in Japan for Microsoft where the phone never rings and then, out of nowhere, there is a call and they all sit and stare at the phone in amazement.  They then pick it up and someone lets them know they sold out.

Remember the UPS commercial where the people launch the website
and are huddled around the computer as the orders start flying in?

Ruining language with my terrible words.
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2008, 07:30:45 PM »

Quote from: Space Herpes on August 16, 2008, 10:06:06 PM

Quote from: Turtle on August 15, 2008, 10:07:37 PM

Actually, I think the 360 will have a permanent increase in sales in Japan, if only because RPGs will be coming steadily to the system.  It won't be dramatic, but it will be a significant number.

Meanwhile, with the PS3 focusing on action games and shooters here in America and Europe, it'll probably grab more gamers here.  So, it's a pretty interesting reversal that should happen towards the end of the year.

No kidding.  So far, I find it very amusing that the "big 2" are having to duke it out over 2nd place.  I also hope that they realize that games and gameplay are what should take priority with a game console.  That might be too much to hope for, though.

If "games and gameplay" are what should take priority, then explain the success of that friggin' Wii. It damn sure doesn't have anything remotely close to the quality of the PS3 and 360 library, and the gameplay itself is so bastardized in some games that it's a joke.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2008, 01:16:09 AM »

The Wii is literally in a market of its own right now.  As people keep saying, it's looked as more of a toy, rather than a gaming machine.  Since Nintendo makes money on the hardware itself, selling all that hardware with newer game sales.  But, even then those casual gamers don't really know what's a good game so they'll often buy poor ones.
Space Herpes
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2008, 02:07:36 PM »

Quote from: jblank on August 20, 2008, 07:30:45 PM

Actually, I think the 360 will have a permanent increase in sales in Japan, if only because RPGs will be coming steadily to the system.  It won't be dramatic, but it will be a significant number.

Meanwhile, with the PS3 focusing on action games and shooters here in America and Europe, it'll probably grab more gamers here.  So, it's a pretty interesting reversal that should happen towards the end of the year.

No kidding.  So far, I find it very amusing that the "big 2" are having to duke it out over 2nd place.  I also hope that they realize that games and gameplay are what should take priority with a game console.  That might be too much to hope for, though.

If "games and gameplay" are what should take priority, then explain the success of that friggin' Wii. It damn sure doesn't have anything remotely close to the quality of the PS3 and 360 library, and the gameplay itself is so bastardized in some games that it's a joke.

The Wii is cheap and the only thing going for it is gameplay.  It's not a multimedia center or even a DVD player.  It has some great games on it and some really awful games on it.  Of course, I'd can't think of a successful console that didn't have crap games on it.  The interface is very new and I think devs are still coming to grips with it.  So far it seems people are buying games and having fun.  Isn't that the point of a gaming console?

See the Mr. Sticky Show!
http://one.revver.com/watch/261625
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2008, 02:53:20 PM »

Holy CRAP when will they lower the 360 Price man.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2008, 03:13:27 PM »

Quote from: Space Herpes on August 21, 2008, 02:07:36 PM

Quote from: jblank on August 20, 2008, 07:30:45 PM

The Wii is cheap and the only thing going for it is gameplay. 
Which isn't saying a whole lot.  I've gotten far more "gameplay" out of my 360 than my Wii - by orders of magnitude.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 03:15:28 PM by Laner » Logged
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2008, 04:06:50 PM »

The Wii is cheap and the only thing going for it is gameplay.  It's not a multimedia center or even a DVD player. 

Actually, thanks to the hacking community, you too (with a copy of Zelda) can install a DVD player on your Wii. Costs absolutely nothing, as basically all it needed was the codec to decode DVDs and a player to output them.

But yes, you make a very good point. However, I look at it this way - how often do you use the 'extra' features of the other consoles? How often do you load music onto your 360, and how often do you watch movies you've gotten from who knows where via the PS3? Using your consoles as a DVD/Blu-Ray player, I can see. But do you use any other features of the consoles short of playing games?

Short of playing DVD/Blu-Ray discs, and obviously playing games, I don't use my 360 or PS3 for anything else.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2008, 04:37:31 PM »

Quote from: HankRaptor on August 21, 2008, 02:53:20 PM

maybe soon

« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 09:43:44 AM by metallicorphan » Logged

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2008, 05:04:38 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on August 21, 2008, 04:06:50 PM

The Wii is cheap and the only thing going for it is gameplay.  It's not a multimedia center or even a DVD player. 

Actually, thanks to the hacking community, you too (with a copy of Zelda) can install a DVD player on your Wii. Costs absolutely nothing, as basically all it needed was the codec to decode DVDs and a player to output them.

But yes, you make a very good point. However, I look at it this way - how often do you use the 'extra' features of the other consoles? How often do you load music onto your 360, and how often do you watch movies you've gotten from who knows where via the PS3? Using your consoles as a DVD/Blu-Ray player, I can see. But do you use any other features of the consoles short of playing games?

Short of playing DVD/Blu-Ray discs, and obviously playing games, I don't use my 360 or PS3 for anything else.
I use my 360 as a media center extender and gaming console in equal amounts - the wife and I watch most of our movies and tv shows via the 360.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2008, 09:44:10 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on August 21, 2008, 04:37:31 PM

Quote from: HankRaptor on August 21, 2008, 02:53:20 PM

maybe soon

like September 7th soon

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: