http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 04:30:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Joining the club  (Read 915 times)
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« on: May 02, 2005, 01:49:47 PM »

Well, I have a new PSP...my first console since the Atari 2600.
It only took me 6 stores before I finally found one at Target.

Anyway, I picked up the Logitech polycarbonate case, which I really like a lot.
I got the Pelican screen protector (see PSP screen thread).
For games I got Wipeout Pure and used copies of Lumines and MGA.

I haven't had a chance to try MGA yet but have spent a few minutes wiith the other two. Visually, this thing is just breathtaking. If I had one niggle at this point it's that sound reproduction from the built-in speakkers leaves something to be desired. I haven't tried the headphones yet. The thing that has really left me dumbstruck is how challenging the games are.

I've read tons of threads about Lumines and seen where people talk about how fast it gets in certain level ranges. Silly me...I figured it started at a really sedate pace. Imagine my surprise when it starts off at a pretty decent clip. I made to the second skin on my third attempt and felt like I'd accomplished something.

Wipeout Pure looks amazing too, but wow, the controls are tricky. Not in the sense that they are unpredictable. They seem like they are well done in that respect. But I've yet to make a clean run around the easiest track with one fo the slowest racers. This is challenging. I haven't played it all that much yet, and haven't tried an actual race either, but it looks like a blast. Do people prefer the buttons or stick for this one?

Anyway, just wanted to chime in and say I broke down and did it. My son also had some money of his own saved up from various occasions (Tooth Faiiry, birthdays, etc) and he got himself a GBA SP. I treated him to a few games and found a great "used" (I'd swear it had never been touched by human hands) backpack/case for 5 bucks.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2005, 02:03:46 PM »

Welcome aboard!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
depward

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2005, 03:05:21 PM »

Welcome aboard!  I get, on average, about one hour of playing time on my PSP a day still.  I had Wipeout Pure, but seeing as how I'm not a huge futuristic racing fan I traded it in.  But I'll agree - it is a very visually stunning game!

Lumines is a great game as well.  Time just speeds by as I play that game.

MGA is another good choice to pick up.  It took me awhile to get used to it, but I really enjoy it.

MLB is a great game.  I'm playing along day-by-day with the Mariners, so I'll most likely get my money's worth by the end of the baseball season.

Have fun!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2005, 03:06:09 PM »

Quote from: "Misguided"
For games I got Wipeout Pure and used copies of Lumines and MGA.

good taste! - my psp library (following unpleasant encounters with untold legends & dynasty warriors) consists of the same 3 titles, with death jr on the (ever-receeding?) horizon...

glad to hear you're having problems with wp - figured it was just my lack of racer skills smile ...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2005, 03:18:16 PM »

Nah, I'm no pro, but I've played dozens of racing games on PC. I think I'll get used to it, but it has a different feel from anything else I've ever done (and if you think about it, it OUGHT to...I'm just surprised by how challenging it is).

I'm really looking forward to Smart Bomb. I'm also hoping the Euro release of Mercury will include a bunch of the stuff that was left off (motion sensor, maybe?). Also interested in Sticky Balls and Death Jr looks like it could be fun.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2005, 03:20:19 PM »

Welcome to the club. I dont play mine anymore, but im sure I will at some point again. Usually when im on the road I play it.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2005, 05:33:48 PM »

Quote from: "Misguided"
Do people prefer the buttons or stick for this one?

I started off using the D-Pad but after reading that you will ultimately get better control with analog, I switched.  And sure enough, I now far prefer analog to the D-pad in Wipeout.  

I'd recommend just racing the first track on freeplay over and over until you get a good feel for the controls.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: