http://gamingtrend.com
August 23, 2014, 07:55:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Joining the 360 Sucks Crowd...  (Read 5286 times)
Scott
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 14, 2007, 12:52:32 AM »

I'm blowing off a little steam, but I'm joining the 360 haters.  Of all the times for my 360 to melt down, is right before XMas.  I have Rock Band sitting in the closet waiting for XMas to play with my family on the 25th, and the rest of our vacation.  That won't happen now.  Oh, and apparently Microsoft is updating their systems, so I can't file any repair order.  Lovely.

I've enjoyed the 360, but the hardware is a ridiculous joke.  Even when it worked, its loud and obnoxious.

Thank god for my PS3.  If EB will exchange Rock Band for the PS3 version, I'll be in luck, as that and the rest of the cross platform purchases will be Sony now.

Does anyone still have their original 360 for more then a year?  I was the last person I know of that still had an original 360 in working condition...

---
XBox Live: ScottW
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 12:54:04 AM »

Yeah that's no good. icon_confused
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 01:05:25 AM »

That totally sucks, Scott.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 01:34:45 AM »

If you had have bought Rock Band for the PS3 like you should have then none of this would have happened smile
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 01:41:42 AM »

If you had have bought Rock Band for the PS3 like you should have then none of this would have happened
smile

PS3 version still have all the same downloadable songs, and get them as quickly? smile   I probably won't, as I have the GH3 controller for the 360, and really wanted to use both on the game to play w/ my son.  Having to wait to play though, really sucks.  A whole week of good clean family gaming gone to waste now!

Are the XBox Live accounts tied to the XBox, or can I use my hard drive with an XBox that I can borrow from my brother?  He has a 3 month old, so doesn't play much now anyway smile

---
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 01:43:16 AM »

I blame Rock Band.  If they hadn't done such shoddy workmanship on their strum bars it wouldn't have leaked out to your 360.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 02:13:16 AM »

Quote from: Scott on December 14, 2007, 01:41:42 AM

If you had have bought Rock Band for the PS3 like you should have then none of this would have happened
smile

PS3 version still have all the same downloadable songs, and get them as quickly? smile   I probably won't, as I have the GH3 controller for the 360, and really wanted to use both on the game to play w/ my son.  Having to wait to play though, really sucks.  A whole week of good clean family gaming gone to waste now!

Are the XBox Live accounts tied to the XBox, or can I use my hard drive with an XBox that I can borrow from my brother?  He has a 3 month old, so doesn't play much now anyway smile

You can use your HD on any system.  It's what I did.

gellar
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2007, 02:15:43 AM »

Quote from: Scott on December 14, 2007, 12:52:32 AM

Does anyone still have their original 360 for more then a year?  I was the last person I know of that still had an original 360 in working condition...

I had my original one for about 1.75 years.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2007, 02:37:23 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on December 14, 2007, 02:15:43 AM

i really shouldn't say anything for fear of jinxing myself, but i've had mine since december 22nd, 2005...still going strong despite my marathon sessions of Mass Effect, Rock Band, and Assassin's Creed over the last month.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2007, 03:05:53 AM »

360 Rock band has been in tight supply.
My guess (and it could be different in your area) is that there's a store
that would be happy to oblige.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2007, 03:09:30 AM »

Sorry dude.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2007, 03:21:00 AM »

Mine made it almost exactly two years before it died. 
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2007, 04:55:03 AM »

Don't worry, your Rock Band guitar would probably have just broken during your first hour anyway....

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2007, 06:37:48 AM »

I may be tempting fate here, but my lauch Xbox 360 is still alive and kicking.  Got it on release day.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2007, 06:44:45 AM »

Quote from: Graham on December 14, 2007, 06:37:48 AM

I may be tempting fate here, but my lauch Xbox 360 is still alive and kicking.  Got it on release day.

I'll expect your "My XBox just died" thread tomorrow then icon_twisted
« Last Edit: December 14, 2007, 06:46:41 AM by EddieA » Logged

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2007, 10:24:17 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on December 14, 2007, 01:34:45 AM

If you had have bought Rock Band for the PS3 like you should have then none of this would have happened smile

Dude, enough.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2007, 10:35:39 PM »

Me too. I hardly ever use it, though.
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2007, 11:20:41 PM »

Mine is from January 2006 and I've had no problems or need for repair. I use it a lot too (also for dvds).
shaggydoug
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2007, 11:55:18 PM »

Mine was manufactured 12/24/05.  I got it April of 06.   Still going strong but the DVD tray sometimes won't open.  Only sticks if it's empty.  I just have to push on it with my finger to get it past whatever stuck spot it has.

- shaggy

Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2007, 12:26:26 AM »

Quote from: Andrew Mallon on December 14, 2007, 10:35:39 PM

Me too. I hardly ever use it, though.

Kind of in the same boat.  Once in a while it gets a long period of use (Oblivion, Mass Effect) but then it also sits for long periods.  And I'm also currently using it as a DVD player.

If it died I probably wouldn't bother buying a new one if MS refused to fix/replace it.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2007, 01:12:10 AM »

Got mine on 12/24/05.  Went tits-up tonight.  The last two times I turned it on (Thurs. afternoon and this morning), I used the controller like always, and got the RROD.  Turned it off and then on again, and it went fine.  Then went to turn it on tonight, and the RROD were there to stay.

Put in the call, and other than the automated system at the front end being very long, overly cheerful, and incredibly superficial and unhelpful, the call was quick, friendly, and efficient.  Of course, this means that my pile of games will go unplayed.  On the plus side, it will force me to put more time into the neglected Wii and PS2 games.  On the downside, I just ordered the Harry Potter set and the new Blade Runner briefcase on HD DVD.  I use the 360 addon as my HD DVD player... frown

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2007, 08:43:54 AM »

Quote from: disarm on December 14, 2007, 02:37:23 AM

i really shouldn't say anything for fear of jinxing myself, but i've had mine since december 22nd, 2005...still going strong despite my marathon sessions of Mass Effect, Rock Band, and Assassin's Creed over the last month.

ditto here...december 15th 2005...mass effect,oblivion over 100hrs,COD4 has a few days now...final fantasy 11 over 30days!!..and recently assassins creed

sorry to hear about another 360 fooking up though

p.s and chaz i got the 5 disc DVD collection of bladerunner last week(contains 4 versions of the film...the new one, 1992directors cut ,original 80s version and the unreleased pre-production version..and then tons of interviews and makings off and deleted scenes...been trying to find out if it says anything on why Harrison ford and ridley scott fell out),it came with cool tin box,art cards and some kind of moving picture frame of harry ford...love that film

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2007, 03:10:08 PM »

Me too.  At least I'll have the cool briefcase to look at until I get the 360 back and can actually watch it.

Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2007, 08:04:50 PM »

Mine works, but I bought a 1600 point card on Wednesday, only to find out I couldn't add it on my dashboard.  kept saying something about being unable to retrieve information and a status code.

A call to support told me to try it on Xbox.com.  After some digging, I found the (well hidden) option, and applied the card.

Two days later, the points are still not there.  I call support again, get some dumbass in India (as usual) who basically says 'check in two hours and call back if it's not there', and gave me a reference #.

I check today...still not there.  I call, get another person in India, and give them the ref. number.  "Oh, our systems are updating, and we can't pull up that information now."  I give them my poitns card code, and they verify for the 2nd time that yes, the card was used on the 12th.  But they can't pull up any information right now, so I have to call again in two hours.

Is there any way to ensure I get ah old of someone in the US?
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2007, 02:23:36 AM »

Quote from: Zarkon on December 15, 2007, 08:04:50 PM

You will talk to somebody in India, and you WILL like it. Sorry.  crybaby

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2007, 11:24:02 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on December 16, 2007, 02:23:36 AM

Quote from: Zarkon on December 15, 2007, 08:04:50 PM

You will talk to somebody in India, and you WILL like it. Sorry.  crybaby

Hahah, darn, I wish you better luck with your technical support persons.

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2007, 12:06:11 AM »

Yeah...since it was apparently my own fault.  Forgot I had 2 gamertags, and added it to the wrong one (one I can no longer access) by mistake.  We're trying to fix it now.
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2007, 12:31:25 AM »

Sorry to hear about the problems.  Having it break down right at Christmas time certainly is an unfortunate time.

But "sucks" and "haters" are too strong of words for me considering all the fun I've had with it over the past couple of years.  The reliability certainly is disappointing and highly annoying.  But their customer service has been top notch and they've quickly took care of my issue.  Here's hoping they have more time to spend on reliability and testing for the 720/361/etc.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2007, 03:43:57 AM »

Yeah, I'm definitely not hating them.  Mine worked for two years, and they're going to fix/replace it for free.  I have to go without it for a few weeks, but that's totally fine.  I might be more annoyed about it if the 360 was my only gaming outlet, and I had no other hobbies, but I have plenty of other options. 

Actually, having one fewer option is a good thing, since it allows/forces me to focus on other things for a while.  For example, tonight I spent two hours with Mario Galaxy, after playing a game of Lost Cities with the GF.  Now, if I wind up having to replace the 360 multiple times, I might start to become annoyed.

Scott

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2007, 05:02:44 AM »

I have to go without it for a few weeks, but that's totally fine.  I might be more annoyed about it if the 360 was my only gaming outlet, and I had no other hobbies, but I have plenty of other options.
I'm mostly annoyed that after not playing the 360 that much, the one time I really want to have it, at XMas for RockBand, it dies.

I will be borrowing my brother's for XMas day though.  I'll have the Partridge family going on in my house!

---
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2007, 05:17:26 AM »

Thankfully there is no Partridge family in Rock Band!  Although you never know what lies ahead with downloadable content...

Sandwiches do fix everything.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2007, 06:14:05 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on December 17, 2007, 05:17:26 AM

Thankfully there is no Partridge family in Rock Band!  Although you never know what lies ahead with downloadable content...

although it would be short I think the Buffy theme music would be fun for RB....

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2007, 12:50:32 PM »

Actually, I think you can safely say that the 360 hardware sucks and that you hate it.  But the whole package including game library?  I don't think any mature gamer here would actually say the games suck just because it's on crappy hardware.  There's a lot of excellent 360 games out there.  But let's call a spade a spade, and crappy hardware crappy hardware.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2007, 04:09:19 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on December 17, 2007, 12:50:32 PM

Actually, I think you can safely say that the 360 hardware sucks and that you hate it.  But the whole package including game library?  I don't think any mature gamer here would actually say the games suck just because it's on crappy hardware.  There's a lot of excellent 360 games out there.  But let's call a spade a spade, and crappy hardware crappy hardware.
I think the hardware is good. I think the heat dissipation and heat sinks are cheap and badly designed.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2007, 04:17:41 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on December 17, 2007, 04:09:19 PM

I think the hardware is good. I think the heat dissipation and heat sinks are cheap and badly designed.

And those are somehow magically not a part of the hardware?

gellar
Jiffy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2007, 04:34:18 PM »

Taken piece by piece, the 360 has some nice components (GPU/CPU, etc). As a whole though, hardware wise the console is terrible. Whichever team at Microsoft did the final putting together of all components should be given 10 lashes for such a pooly engineered overall design.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2007, 05:48:12 PM »

Quote from: gellar on December 17, 2007, 04:17:41 PM

And those are somehow magically not a part of the hardware?

gellar

The rest of the hardware is good. You can surmise the meaning, I don't have to do everything for you.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2007, 06:06:39 PM »

The system could have been a little bigger. It could have been set up better. When they went to the elite, they should have scrapped the "slimfast" design for something that allowed them to address the problem properly, rather than wait for tech. to catch up.

As it stands though it's not the hardware itself, just heat that sucks. (and the crappy hard drive system that prevents people from putting in non-ms drives).

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2007, 06:28:02 PM »

I don't get how you can seperate heat issues from the hardware.  If AMD put out an 8000Ghz quad-core processor that burnt itself out in 2 seconds of use would you consider it good hardware?
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2007, 06:28:40 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on December 17, 2007, 06:28:02 PM

I don't get how you can seperate heat issues from the hardware.  If AMD put out an 8000Ghz quad-core processor that burnt itself out in 2 seconds of use would you consider it good hardware?

Only if it was the HSF's fault!

gellar
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: