http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 01:07:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: John Riccitiello, EA CEO, resigning March 30th  (Read 768 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: March 18, 2013, 08:48:01 PM »

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2013/03/18/ea-ceo-john-riccitiello-is-resigning-heres-his-farewell-letter/

Mr. Riccitiell added, ”In offering my resignation, my goal is to allow the talented leaders at EA a clean start on FY14.”

I wonder how much the SimCity debacle played into this; was it the last straw after The Old Republic didn't become the great hit they expected it to be?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 08:58:06 PM »

This is very interesting. By letting their CEO go, they are sending a signal that they are displeased with how the company has handled recent events. Hopefully this means changes in how EA does things, but that may be too optimistic.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 09:13:00 PM »

From what I have read it has nothing to do with SimCity. The are coming in at the low end of guidance, stock holders are going to be angry, so this is the preemptive strike.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 09:34:30 PM »

It's too bad, as I thought when Riccitello came on board they had a really good re-focus on doing the opposite of Activision (ie: more original IP instead of flooding the market and burning out franchises), but it really hasn't paid off financially for them.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 09:38:02 PM »

As has been pointed out elsewhere, he presided over Warhammer online, SWTOR, and the fact that Origin on line has not made a dent in Valve. 3 pretty big failures.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 11:28:07 PM »

Which CEO put Dead Space 1 and Mirror's Edge in development? By that, I don't mean who was there when they were released, but when they were put and approved for full development.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 11:32:49 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on March 18, 2013, 08:58:06 PM

This is very interesting. By letting their CEO go, they are sending a signal that they are displeased with how the company has handled recent events. Hopefully this means changes in how EA does things, but that may be too optimistic.

I am pretty sure you are being too optimistic.  The problem here is that John wasn't making EA enough money.  They need someone else in there to get even more and since EA has gotten to be one of the most exploitative companies out there with regards to milking the gamer, I am pretty sure they're going to think that John wasn't being exploitative enough and will need to turn the volume up to 11, so to speak.  I think it's just going to get worse from here.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2013, 12:00:31 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on March 18, 2013, 11:32:49 PM

I am pretty sure you are being too optimistic.  The problem here is that John wasn't making EA enough money.  They need someone else in there to get even more and since EA has gotten to be one of the most exploitative companies out there with regards to milking the gamer, I am pretty sure they're going to think that John wasn't being exploitative enough and will need to turn the volume up to 11, so to speak.  I think it's just going to get worse from here.

That sounds about right to me.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2013, 12:29:05 AM »

The new CEO needs to immediately rescinded any remote work and flexible work policies.  That will turn things around quickly.  It's proven.     
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2013, 12:31:19 AM »

"It is known."

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2013, 04:18:04 AM »

Quote from: Roguetad on March 19, 2013, 12:29:05 AM

The new CEO needs to immediately rescinded any remote work and flexible work policies.  That will turn things around quickly.  It's proven.     

It should be a pregnant woman who takes no maternity leave. In fact she births the baby at her desk, cuts the cord with a letter opener and just keeps on working.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2013, 04:58:40 AM »

I think he didn't really resign.  I think someone built a job closer to his house and he is just going there now instead.

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2013, 05:27:49 AM »

Pope Francis I ‏@PopeFrancisOne
It figures I'd accept a gig days before the EA CEO job opened up. I could have been the "Guy who makes Battlefield!" Think of the prestige!

Tongue

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2013, 01:41:29 PM »

Quote from: Arnir on March 19, 2013, 04:58:40 AM

I think he didn't really resign.  I think someone built a job closer to his house and he is just going there now instead.

thumbsup

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2013, 05:23:15 PM »

People have been talking about this for a year now. EA couldn't hit its financial targets and this is the result.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2013, 06:50:24 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on March 19, 2013, 12:00:31 AM

I am pretty sure you are being too optimistic.  The problem here is that John wasn't making EA enough money.  They need someone else in there to get even more and since EA has gotten to be one of the most exploitative companies out there with regards to milking the gamer, I am pretty sure they're going to think that John wasn't being exploitative enough and will need to turn the volume up to 11, so to speak.  I think it's just going to get worse from here.

Except that I'd wager that Peter Moore (ex MS Interactive Entertainment VP and ex President of Sega America) becomes their next CEO. My thinking is partly due to his promotion within the company 18 months ago:

"On 4 August 2011, Moore was promoted from EA Sports President to the role of Chief Operating Officer in a structure reshuffle."

As to Riccitiello leaving, good riddance. I can tell you that he was nothing but a complete douche to EA Canada while Moore wasn't. Is Moore more qualified than Riccitello for the job and possibly someone who could turn the companies fortunes around  - hell yes IMO. To the best of my knowledge EA doesn't manufacture any hardware gaming products, so Moore could find some success there as a CEO.  slywink
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 06:59:54 PM by kronovan » Logged
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2013, 11:28:37 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on March 21, 2013, 06:50:24 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on March 19, 2013, 12:00:31 AM

Except that I'd wager that Peter Moore (ex MS Interactive Entertainment VP and ex President of Sega America) becomes their next CEO. My thinking is partly due to his promotion within the company 18 months ago:

"On 4 August 2011, Moore was promoted from EA Sports President to the role of Chief Operating Officer in a structure reshuffle."

As to Riccitiello leaving, good riddance. I can tell you that he was nothing but a complete douche to EA Canada while Moore wasn't. Is Moore more qualified than Riccitello for the job and possibly someone who could turn the companies fortunes around  - hell yes IMO. To the best of my knowledge EA doesn't manufacture any hardware gaming products, so Moore could find some success there as a CEO.  slywink

Moore seems to have his head on straight, but he'll still have to answer to the folks who want their payday.  If he's seen as too much of an idea man, mavericking his way around and doing what he wants, it might keep him from the spot, no matter how successful he may be.  OTOH, he's not immune to wanting to make money himself.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: