http://gamingtrend.com
August 01, 2014, 04:29:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jeff Gerstmann fired from Gamespot for a review a publisher didn't like  (Read 8765 times)
Kratz
« Reply #120 on: December 05, 2007, 10:03:03 PM »

This totally smells like internet nerds getting enraged without knowing any of the facts because it involved someone they felt the 'knew'.  I would be pretty surprised if this was actually the reason for his dismissal.  They would know it was a dumb idea.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6183666.html?action=convert&om_clk=latestnews&tag=latestnews;title;0

Some reading.
Andrew Mallon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 05, 2007, 10:04:56 PM »

Quote from: Kratz on December 05, 2007, 10:03:03 PM

This totally smells like internet nerds getting enraged without knowing any of the facts because it involved someone they felt the 'knew'.  I would be pretty surprised if this was actually the reason for his dismissal.  They would know it was a dumb idea.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6183666.html?action=convert&om_clk=latestnews&tag=latestnews;title;0

Some reading.
That totally lays all my concerns to rest!  Roll Eyes

Seriously, though, this blew up too fast and has been reported on in too many places for their not to be some nugget of truth. If this was just about nerds in a lather, 1UP staffers wouldn't hold impomptu gatherings in front of CNET headquarters and the legit press wouldn't have covered it at all.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 10:17:02 PM by Andrew Mallon » Logged
Kratz
« Reply #122 on: December 05, 2007, 10:22:02 PM »

Sure they would've.  The media loves drama and controversy because it sells their product - fake news!

It's far more likely that he was let go for looking at 2 girls 1 cup in the office, or leaving work at 2pm to go drink beer every day, but people love drama.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 05, 2007, 10:25:52 PM »

It's certainly possible (likely even) that he was fired for perfectly justifiable means.

The timing and handling of the firing though... total clusterfuck.

gellar
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 05, 2007, 10:32:29 PM »

Quote from: Kratz on December 05, 2007, 10:22:02 PM

Sure they would've.  The media loves drama and controversy because it sells their product - fake news!

It's far more likely that he was let go for looking at 2 girls 1 cup in the office, or leaving work at 2pm to go drink beer every day, but people love drama.

Absolutely! Taking the company doing the firing at their word! Absolutely. Definitely carries more weight than any of the other speculation-because if any of this was true they would ABSOLUTELY admit to it. Pro style.
Kratz
« Reply #125 on: December 05, 2007, 10:38:40 PM »

*shrug*

Just posting the link.

Let your imaginations run wild.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 05, 2007, 10:41:27 PM »

Quote from: Kratz on December 05, 2007, 10:38:40 PM

*shrug*

Just posting the link.

Let your imaginations run wild.

Well,I have seen both sides of this story from experience (I did a few magazine reviews back in the day aside from the many years of internet reviews), and I have worked in marketing-and man, nothing about the rumors sounds very fish.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 05, 2007, 10:47:55 PM »

There are two possibilities here.

1) The story is true.  Gamespot are morons and unethical.
2) The story is false.  Gamespot are even bigger morons.

gellar
TC Weidner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: December 05, 2007, 10:53:27 PM »

Sounds to me like a lot of parsing, Was "edios" to blame, etc etc,  they can say with a straight face "no"  but then mumble among themselves, "it was the really the marketing group representing eidos".

This all rings so true in today corporate climate.    Its ALL ABOUT THE MONEY, always has been.  They simply got caught doing slimey business which basically happens everyday in this country.  You don't play by the company rules no matter how jaded they are, you are out.  Whistle blowers get fired and then sued,  you really think that someone not kissing up to a big client and getting fired is unusal?

Gamespot mights as well be gamestop  now, its all about pushing and selling whatever shit the corp heads tell you too.

This is actually good for honest grassrooots sites like this.  If GT tells me its good, I'll bet my 60 bucks it is.

Kratz
« Reply #129 on: December 06, 2007, 12:05:03 AM »

I'm trying to think of a time when a gamespot review told me something was awesome and it sucked...
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 06, 2007, 02:42:28 AM »

Just got around to reading it. I found these excerpts most frightening... (I underlined some things):
Jeff's supervisors and select members of the edit team felt the review's negativity did not match its "fair" 6.0 rating. The copy was adjusted several days after its publication so that it better meshed with its score, which remained unchanged.
Eh? Did anyone ask him if maybe his rating was Too High and didn't in fact match what his review was trying to say? If they're saying their policy is to always say "if the review's kind of negative, and the number rating is semi-positive, we're going to make your review happier," that's just plain unprofessional, if not a little warped.  disgust

At the very least, if their editorial team is going to do this sort of flim-flammery, they should do it before *every* review ever "goes to press" (sorry, i'm an old newspaperman and I talk like that  Tongue). Maybe that's not realistic on a frequently updated site, but they oughta at least be uniform about what they do (however questionable it may be).

For a special report on Jeff Gerstmann's dismissal and a tribute to his legacy tune in tomorrow to GameSpot's weekly live webcast, On the Spot.
What kind of madness is that? If you're firing someone over his performance (or whatever other mysterious mumbling they can't reveal), how do you turn around and run a "tribute to his legacy."  saywhat

All this reminds me that more and more often I read reviews in all kinds of magazines and on sites that will give a game a fairly positive rating, but spend most if not the entire review complaining about the game. Most prominent of late was one of the few negative -- in terms of the actual review copy -- print reviews of Bioshock in the UK EDGE magazine. But the rating remained 8/10. If you read the review and didn't see a number, you would probably guess 5, maybe 6. I thought it kind of funny that next issue a reader complained about the 8/10. Sort of, "How DARE you *only* give Bioshock an 8/10! How dare you!" The review had probably a page of complaints and disappointments in the game, and yet the # was the only thing that meant anything. icon_neutral

I regularly read negative reviews in PC Gamer (yeah, I know this is the console area, sorry) that seem foaming at the mouth about how awful something is, and then somehow the game gets 60%, 65%. It's almost like the rating # is an "out," so that they can write about how awful the game is without hurting the publisher's feelings (because they still got a passing grade afterall).

So who knows? Maybe in this case the guy was actually trying to be nice ("I despise this game, but I'll give them a 6/10 rating at least so they won't feel bad.") And his reward was... well...  thumbsdown
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 02:46:32 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: December 06, 2007, 06:45:36 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on December 06, 2007, 02:42:28 AM

The review had probably a page of complaints and disappointments in the game, and yet the # was the only thing that meant anything. icon_neutral

Well, duh. In the ADHD gamer world we live in today, people never actually read the reviews. It's all about the little number at the end. It's hard to complain about words - far easier to complain about the number, even if the words justify it.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 06, 2007, 04:02:56 PM »

A supposed "Q & A" about the situation. Its nothing more than a repackaging of whats already been said, but there it is.

greeneggsnham
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 06, 2007, 04:05:17 PM »

Does saying nothing for the third time really qualify as news?  disgust

(yeah, it's a new posting. I'm just saying....)
unbreakable
« Reply #134 on: December 06, 2007, 06:32:45 PM »

They didn't mean to lie on their review quotes, they were just using five stars as a separator.  Yeah, that's it, that's the ticket.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: December 06, 2007, 08:22:56 PM »

" " was being used as a separator but the font slipped into Wingdings.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: December 07, 2007, 02:28:45 PM »

Quote from: Purge on December 06, 2007, 08:22:56 PM

" " was being used as a separator but the font slipped into Wingdings.

Blasted Wingdings. They're the cause of so many of the world's problems! biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 07, 2008, 11:52:52 PM »

Gamespot reviewer Frank Provo leaves after 8 years, because of Gerstmann firing.

http://www.gamespot.com/users/mosaic/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=m-100-25273350
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 08, 2008, 12:00:37 AM »

Quote from: Jumangi on January 07, 2008, 11:52:52 PM

Gamespot reviewer Frank Provo leaves after 8 years, because of Gerstmann firing.

http://www.gamespot.com/users/mosaic/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=m-100-25273350

Yep, big thread on NeoGaf about it. He confirms that Gerstmann was fired because of the K&L review.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 08, 2008, 02:29:43 AM »

I take issue with this part of his farewell comments:

Quote from: Frank Provo
the CNet overlo[r]ds have created the ultimate soul-crushing work environment.

I'd still rather work at Gamespot than at Wal*Mart. icon_wink

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 08, 2008, 06:04:38 AM »

Well I've been boycotting Gamespot since the outbreak (except for a couple of times when I didnt really have much other choice).  I wonder how many people who had sworn never to use Gamespot again have since gone back to the fold.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 08, 2008, 08:35:09 AM »

I've been boycotting them as well.  I accidentally clicked a review from GameRankings there once, and realized that I went to GameSpot (habit of always clicking the GameSpot score).

TheMissingLink on PSN
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 08, 2008, 12:55:54 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on January 08, 2008, 06:04:38 AM

Well I've been boycotting Gamespot since the outbreak (except for a couple of times when I didnt really have much other choice).  I wonder how many people who had sworn never to use Gamespot again have since gone back to the fold.

Petty much the same thing. I only use it when I have to.  Which has probably been 5 times since JG got whizzacked.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 08, 2008, 12:57:57 PM »

Odd that that blog post is actually on Gamespot. Now I've given them more traffic! I was tricked I say!  crybaby retard

And any news of Gerstmann? I've not heard anything about where he landed or speculation about where he'd land.  I miss his plump cheeks and chipmunk teeth...or and the silly voices he used to do to make us all laugh.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: January 08, 2008, 02:01:54 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on January 08, 2008, 12:00:37 AM

Quote from: Jumangi on January 07, 2008, 11:52:52 PM

Yep, big thread on NeoGaf about it. He confirms that Gerstmann was fired because of the K&L review.

And the mess that CNet/Gamespot started only gets worse. Yeesh.

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 25, 2008, 05:29:25 PM »

JG and Ryan Davis new have a new site: http://www.giantbomb.com/. Haven't read through it yet, but glad to see they're back on the scene.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 25, 2008, 05:42:09 PM »

Quote from: ATB on March 25, 2008, 05:29:25 PM

JG and Ryan Davis new have a new site: http://www.giantbomb.com/. Haven't read through it yet, but glad to see they're back on the scene.

Been up for a couple weeks-its a temporary blog now thats going to lead into the giantbomb website shindig this summer.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 25, 2008, 06:23:41 PM »

If only they'd lure Greg Kasavin into the fold. He was my favorite gamespot reviewer. Of course if whatever games he works on turn out stellar, that would be good too.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 26, 2008, 01:27:01 AM »

Quote from: JCC on March 25, 2008, 06:23:41 PM

If only they'd lure Greg Kasavin into the fold. He was my favorite gamespot reviewer. Of course if whatever games he works on turn out stellar, that would be good too.

He's a junior(ish) producer at EA, working on Red Alert 3-and it's apparently his dream job. I doubt he's crossing the line back to lower paying journalism anytime soon.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: