http://gamingtrend.com
November 28, 2014, 10:07:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jeff Gerstmann fired from Gamespot for a review a publisher didn't like  (Read 8940 times)
Andrew Mallon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 01, 2007, 10:02:07 PM »

Greg Kassavin's response to the controversy:

Gerstmann Goes Off

Jeff Gerstmann and I got to work together at GameSpot for 10 years. It seems he didn't get a chance to properly say goodbye here this week. This is simply the opinion of a longtime fan of this site: As the longest-tenured GameSpot editor, Jeff Gerstmann deserved a respectful send-off.

My last day at GameSpot was pretty good. It was on a Tuesday early this year. I had already packed up my stuff, had already told my team I was leaving and where I was going and what I was going to do next, and that I believed in them. What I really wanted to do was put in one last day's work at the site. I shot a video review, submitted and prepared a few pieces of content including a final review of mine, met with my closest colleagues, made my rounds with some of the others I'd always wished I got to talk to more, and tied up what seemed like a last few loose ends. I had a brief exit interview as well. It was an oddly liberating experience. As great as it was to work at GameSpot, I rarely felt a sense of closure at the job, because there was always lots more work to be done and more I could have been doing. The game industry never stops, and there are always more games I could be playing. It occurred to me that most of the closure I'd been feeling over the past decade came from finishing games.

I shouldn't lump myself into the same category as Jeff because we're pretty different people in spite of us having the same feelings about games and similar perspectives on a lot of subjects related to games. But I think guys like him and me see closure as a nice-to-have. We'd rather be moving on to our next assignment. So I said my goodbyes here in January not to provoke and get off on the generous flattery provided by a subset of people who took the time to respond, but to provide what I considered to be a basic, human courtesy to all those people who were familiar with my work over time. Some of those people hated my guts for all I knew--they had a right to know I was leaving same as anyone else. So then, to those of you familiar with Jeff's work: You should rest assured he'd take the opportunity to do what I did, not because we presume to know it's the "right" thing to do, but because we basically trust our instincts. It's not hard--it's rather easy--to imagine him saying goodbye here in his own way. And I have every faith that we'll be hearing from him again soon. I look forward to that moment.

As for the rest of the team that makes GameSpot's content: What you do next is more important than what you've done already. Every day you should be reminding yourselves that, because of the magic of the Internet, someone could just flip a switch that causes everything you've ever done here to just vanish. But the influence of your actions never disappears, and whatever integrity or credibility this site has gathered over the years is due to your hard work. I have no right to telling you what to do. But as a user of this site, I've come to expect a lot, and I know you listen.

Master Chief says it best: "We'll be fine."

And that's all I wanted to say here and I don't have anything more to add.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 01, 2007, 10:14:15 PM »

Quote from: Andrew Mallon on December 01, 2007, 10:02:07 PM

Source? Please post links to where you find stuff, the sites deserve credit for the quote, and I would like to know where you are finding stuff so I can determine if it's a trustworthy site. Thanks.
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 01, 2007, 10:20:24 PM »

It's starting to filter into the mainstream. Dallas morning news blog post:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/ent/stories/DN-gamer_1201gl.ART.State.Edition1.36e0b05.html

Lee, you can find anything you want at Alice's, er, neogaf.

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 01, 2007, 10:47:51 PM »

Quote from: Andrew Mallon on December 01, 2007, 10:02:07 PM

Gerstmann Goes Off

Jeff Gerstmann and I got to work together at GameSpot for 10 years. It seems he didn't get a chance to properly say goodbye here this week. This is simply the opinion of a longtime fan of this site: As the longest-tenured GameSpot editor, Jeff Gerstmann deserved a respectful send-off.

My last day at GameSpot was pretty good. It was on a Tuesday early this year. I had already packed up my stuff, had already told my team I was leaving and where I was going and what I was going to do next, and that I believed in them. What I really wanted to do was put in one last day's work at the site. I shot a video review, submitted and prepared a few pieces of content including a final review of mine, met with my closest colleagues, made my rounds with some of the others I'd always wished I got to talk to more, and tied up what seemed like a last few loose ends. I had a brief exit interview as well. It was an oddly liberating experience. As great as it was to work at GameSpot, I rarely felt a sense of closure at the job, because there was always lots more work to be done and more I could have been doing. The game industry never stops, and there are always more games I could be playing. It occurred to me that most of the closure I'd been feeling over the past decade came from finishing games.

I shouldn't lump myself into the same category as Jeff because we're pretty different people in spite of us having the same feelings about games and similar perspectives on a lot of subjects related to games. But I think guys like him and me see closure as a nice-to-have. We'd rather be moving on to our next assignment. So I said my goodbyes here in January not to provoke and get off on the generous flattery provided by a subset of people who took the time to respond, but to provide what I considered to be a basic, human courtesy to all those people who were familiar with my work over time. Some of those people hated my guts for all I knew--they had a right to know I was leaving same as anyone else. So then, to those of you familiar with Jeff's work: You should rest assured he'd take the opportunity to do what I did, not because we presume to know it's the "right" thing to do, but because we basically trust our instincts. It's not hard--it's rather easy--to imagine him saying goodbye here in his own way. And I have every faith that we'll be hearing from him again soon. I look forward to that moment.

As for the rest of the team that makes GameSpot's content: What you do next is more important than what you've done already. Every day you should be reminding yourselves that, because of the magic of the Internet, someone could just flip a switch that causes everything you've ever done here to just vanish. But the influence of your actions never disappears, and whatever integrity or credibility this site has gathered over the years is due to your hard work. I have no right to telling you what to do. But as a user of this site, I've come to expect a lot, and I know you listen.

Master Chief says it best: "We'll be fine."

And that's all I wanted to say here and I don't have anything more to add.

Is he even talking about the subject at hand? Seems like he's pulling a grandpa Simpson and talking about something vaguely related but not really.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: December 01, 2007, 10:56:47 PM »

Quote from: Andrew Mallon on December 01, 2007, 09:43:20 PM

IUP staff marches on CNET HQ:

NICELY done, 1UP.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 02, 2007, 12:01:22 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on December 01, 2007, 10:56:47 PM

NICELY done, 1UP.

I have been down on 1Up a lot lately, but I have to give them major props for this move-very classy.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 02, 2007, 12:03:00 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on December 02, 2007, 12:01:22 AM

NICELY done, 1UP.

I have been down on 1Up a lot lately, but I have to give them major props for this move-very classy.

I don't know if classy is the right word, but still pretty cool. CNet seems to have more cute girls working for them though. smile
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 02, 2007, 08:14:07 AM »

Quote from: Lee on December 02, 2007, 12:03:00 AM

NICELY done, 1UP.

I don't know if classy is the right word, but still pretty cool. CNet seems to have more cute girls working for them though. smile

No, I'm fine with the word. It was a classy thing to do. FREE GERSTMANN! Or something. I watched his K&L review today on youtube. Wasn't even that bad-he just said it was a mediocre game. It's not like he insulted the children of the developers or anything. Very thin skin over at Eidos.
CSL

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 02, 2007, 08:18:08 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on December 02, 2007, 08:14:07 AM

NICELY done, 1UP.

No, I'm fine with the word. It was a classy thing to do. FREE GERSTMANN! Or something. I watched his K&L review today on youtube. Wasn't even that bad-he just said it was a mediocre game. It's not like he insulted the children of the developers or anything. Very thin skin over at Eidos.

I don't really place any blame on Eidos for this - it's only natural that their PR guys are going to complain to the Gamespot editors about the score. I've had that issue brought to my attention by my editor over at Gamepro when publishers don't like the score I give one of their games, but its largely a formality from what i've seen. Most likely a new part of CNets managerial staff panicked and took the threats seriously when they weren't meant to be. It's pretty obvious Eidos had no desire for any of this, which begs the question of why they would possibly be serious on any threat they made.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 02, 2007, 08:49:20 AM »

Quote from: CSL on December 02, 2007, 08:18:08 AM

NICELY done, 1UP.

I don't really place any blame on Eidos for this - it's only natural that their PR guys are going to complain to the Gamespot editors about the score. I've had that issue brought to my attention by my editor over at Gamepro when publishers don't like the score I give one of their games, but its largely a formality from what i've seen. Most likely a new part of CNets managerial staff panicked and took the threats seriously when they weren't meant to be. It's pretty obvious Eidos had no desire for any of this, which begs the question of why they would possibly be serious on any threat they made.

Word is it was a pencil-neck former marketing weenie that took over Kassavin's spot as EIC (or equivalent) in consultation with whomever runs marketing at CNET. I am pretty sure I can still blame Eidos too-I have been on your end of this too CSL-for a lot of years, and I know the pressure to. And I have, for brief periods, been at a game company. Good people, good developers, good publishers-they don't need to do this. Maybe they all do, maybe its a fact of life. But they don't need to. And I won't give them a pass for it. I spent too long reviewing games.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 02, 2007, 04:26:44 PM »

http://valleywag.com/tech/jeff-gerstmann/gamespot-editor-on-fired-writer-328775.php

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
unbreakable
« Reply #91 on: December 03, 2007, 05:35:35 PM »

If your entire corporation's survival were precariously balanced on Lara Croft's boobs, you'd be a little sensitive too.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 03, 2007, 08:40:30 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on December 03, 2007, 05:35:35 PM

If your entire corporation's survival were precariously balanced on Lara Croft's boobs, you'd be a little sensitive too.

Do you think her boobs are sensitive as well?

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 04, 2007, 12:11:09 AM »

NICELY done, 1UP.

Haha I drive by that C|Net office a few times a week.  I think that's the one in SF, anyway.

gellar
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 04, 2007, 04:54:24 AM »

More amazing Kane and Lynch news:

http://kotaku.com/gaming/kane-%26-lynch/kane--lynch-site-fibbing-about-reviews-scores-329529.php
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 04, 2007, 06:33:59 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on December 04, 2007, 04:54:24 AM

Man, that's just awful. 
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 04, 2007, 06:39:51 AM »

Gamespot has posted their response.

"Neither CNET Networks nor GameSpot has ever allowed its advertising business to affect its editorial content," said Greg Brannan, CNET Networks Entertainment's vice president of programming. "The accusations in the media that it has done so are unsubstantiated and untrue. Jeff's departure stemmed from internal reasons unrelated to any buyer of advertising on GameSpot."

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
CSL

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 04, 2007, 09:32:22 AM »

I wonder who gets to hire Jeff next.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 04, 2007, 12:59:42 PM »

Do game informer and gamespy have any recourse?  That's false advertising no?
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 04, 2007, 01:01:16 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on December 04, 2007, 06:39:51 AM

"Neither CNET Networks nor GameSpot has ever allowed its advertising business to affect its editorial content," said Greg Brannan, CNET Networks Entertainment's vice president of programming. "The accusations in the media that it has done so are unsubstantiated and untrue. Jeff's departure stemmed from internal reasons unrelated to any buyer of advertising on GameSpot."

Sounds like PR speak to me. I wonder what they'll say on their tribute. Think an editor will hint at what really happened?  I think the responses by Alex and the others in their respective blogs points to the fact that it wasn't this simple.  Or perhaps Gerstmann planted the seeds cause he was mad.  But then why would they take down the K&L vid? Hmmm.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: December 04, 2007, 01:45:36 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on December 04, 2007, 06:33:59 AM

Man, that's just awful. 

How is lying shit like that even legal? I mean, technically the sites did say that, but they were previews, and never assigned a 'star' rating to them (as they were previews). Kotaku's 'redo' of the ad is perfect though, IMHO.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 01:48:01 PM by Destructor » Logged

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 04, 2007, 02:30:34 PM »

I knew nothing about Kane & Lynch before this debacle.  I still know nothing about the game itself, other than the fact that I should avoid it at all costs, and should under no circumstances transfer money to anyone else in order to play it.  Bang-up marketing job Eidos!   thumbsup
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 02:49:50 PM by Gratch » Logged

greeneggsnham
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 04, 2007, 03:28:27 PM »

I'm with ATB on this one. Spin in it's purest form.

I'd really like to have Jeff's words on the situation seperate from the legal threat of C(ash)Net. Sadly, I don't think we'll ever have this, as they are going to use what clout they have to snow this over. Plus, you can't really afford to talk trash when you're between jobs.

I hope Alex Navarro and some of the other longstanding GS eds can get good positions elsewhere.

Gamespot is dead to me. They've decided that corporate financing is more important than their readers... and that sucks, as I've been an avid follower of the site for around 10 years or so now. I detest even hitting the site now, because I know that those pageviews are financing a website that, honestly, I don't care to have around.
Pharaoh

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 04, 2007, 03:58:36 PM »

I wouldnt blame the website too much. Ive dealt in situations before where I was making a flash site for a client, and they wanted blurbs about them, and gave me a list of 20 different "comments", that all had to have "..." before and after, meaning they were all taken out of context. That 5 star thing is a common gimmic. 5 stars usually means a 5 star review, but a client will say "Oh, we just want some window dressing on the comments....how about some stars above it so it pops out? 5 would be good we think, wink wink". Of course, as a developer, you need the paycheck, so you cant really say no.

I look at the Kane and Lynch site as a good example of flash craftsmanship and solid UI design. Of course its full of shit, but thats Eidos, not anyone else.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 04, 2007, 04:03:06 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on December 04, 2007, 02:30:34 PM

I knew nothing about Kane & Lynch before this debacle.  I still know nothing about the game itself, other than the fact that I should avoid it at all costs, and should under no circumstances transfer money to anyone else in order to play it.  Bang-up marketing job Eidos!   thumbsup

I imagine the PC version should be hitting the bargain bins soon enough.  I never picked up my pre-order due to have way too many other games to play (and the fact GS took a week to actually get it in) but I still want to play it.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 04, 2007, 10:14:00 PM »

I haven't read a lot of the articles about this, but has there been any actual proof that he was fired because of the review?  Gamespot flatly denies it, and I haven't seen any compelling reason not to believe them.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 04, 2007, 10:26:34 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on December 04, 2007, 10:14:00 PM

I haven't read a lot of the articles about this, but has there been any actual proof that he was fired because of the review?  Gamespot flatly denies it, and I haven't seen any compelling reason not to believe them.

I honestly don't know either way, but considering the amount of attention this has received, do they really have any choice?
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 04, 2007, 10:55:13 PM »

Quote from: greeneggsnham on December 04, 2007, 03:28:27 PM

I'm with ATB on this one. Spin in it's purest form.

I'd really like to have Jeff's words on the situation seperate from the legal threat of C(ash)Net. Sadly, I don't think we'll ever have this, as they are going to use what clout they have to snow this over. Plus, you can't really afford to talk trash when you're between jobs.

I'm not sure you'll get a straight answer from CNet right now, because I have a feeling they won't talk at all in fear of potential legal liability (wrongful termination suit).

Really, they have the most to lose from talking right now, and little to gain.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 04, 2007, 11:03:22 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on December 04, 2007, 10:14:00 PM

I believe it's at least partially true.  I think Gamespot was generally unhappy with the site's direction under Gerstmann and the K&L was probably the straw that broke the camel's back. 
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 04, 2007, 11:36:05 PM »

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3164722

1up confirms from "multiple sources" that there was some external pressures on Gamespot's editorial policies. Apparently Sony went apeshit over Gamespot's Ratchet & Clank review.
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 04, 2007, 11:39:17 PM »

http://kotaku.com/gaming/gamespot-on-the-spot/gamespot-may-see-mass-resignations-over-dismissal-329822.php

"Mass resignations" in the works?

The confusion over the reasons for Gerstmann's termination, compounded with a lack of transparency from management has created a feeling of "irreconcilable despair" that may eventually lead to an exodus of Gamespot editorial staffers. "Our credibility," said the source, "is in ruins." Over the course of the previous days, a "large number of Gamespot editors" have expressed their intentions to leave. Tales of emotionally deflated peers, with no will to remain at the site, were numerous.

Unless cooler heads prevail or concerns are addressed, Gamespot could see "mass resignations", our source revealed.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 05, 2007, 05:51:17 AM »

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 05, 2007, 05:56:04 AM »

LOL awesome tags
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 05, 2007, 01:15:35 PM »

http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/levelup/archive/2007/12/05/reflections-on-videogame-publisher-and-employer-contempt-towards-the-enthusiast-press.aspx

N'Gai weighs in with another excellent article.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
greeneggsnham
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 05, 2007, 02:04:36 PM »

Excellent article, Tebunker. I'd recommend everyone with even a remote interest in this situation (both the microscale issue of Gerstmann/Gamespot, and the macroscale of the game review industry in general) give this a read.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: December 05, 2007, 02:07:44 PM »

Quote from: Tebunker on December 05, 2007, 01:15:35 PM

Click here for a great article

N'Gai weighs in with another excellent article.

Sorry, I just had to edit things to keep the forum from breaking. Tongue

That said - excellent article.

greeneggsnham
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 05, 2007, 05:23:03 PM »

Multiplayer MTV comments/interview

Another great read, with some thoughts from Jeff himself.

Joystick article on K&L Edits

Looks into the revisions made to the html copy of the review.

I'd like to be confident that CNet's internal investigation would work all this out, but at this point, it's just wait and see.

Anyone know what the gross revenue is for the VG/PC/MMO market? Roughly?
unbreakable
« Reply #117 on: December 05, 2007, 05:42:04 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on December 04, 2007, 01:45:36 PM

How is lying shit like that even legal? I mean, technically the sites did say that, but they were previews, and never assigned a 'star' rating to them (as they were previews). Kotaku's 'redo' of the ad is perfect though, IMHO.

Hey, everyone does it.  Saddam had WMD, Mission Accomplished, Iran will start WW3, etc.  On the balance, fibbing about some game reviews is small potatoes.

Maybe they were just using those five stars as separators for the quoted comments.  "Doh, what a silly mistake on our part!  I can totally see how someone might misconstrue that!  Our bad, dawg!"

Mistakes were made, and lessons were learned.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 05:43:38 PM by unbreakable » Logged
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 05, 2007, 07:04:58 PM »

From Level Up:

Let us stress that there is nothing sinister about these kinds of services. However, once marketing departments at various publishers began to formally integrate services like IGN's GamerMetrics and GameSpot's Trax into their promotional plans, and more importantly, as retailers started to factor that data into their product orders, there was an obvious incentive for publishers to manipulate those services both to boost awareness--or awareness data--among consumers for their titles and to persuade retailers to stock more of their games.

Man, I knew about these services, but I didn't really understand how seriously publishers took these numbers. This paragraph right here does more to explain Nintendo's success and American publishers inability to capitalize on it than anything else. If you constantly obsess over these numbers and, in effect, allow these statistics to drive your marketing, you are narrowing the reach of your business.

Publishers are so intent on fighting each other to strip mine the wallets of current customers that they've forgotten what made them successful in the first place.

Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 05, 2007, 08:08:40 PM »

I don't normally lift a post from a different forum, but a guy on Neogaf with the handle 'ravidrath' made some excellent points that deserve wider dissemination. It's a really good complement to the Level Up artice linked above.

This is bigger and more rambly than I would like, but the mood struck me, so...

N'Gai's close, but he's not quite there.

I think he needs to go one layer deeper - the contempt for games themselves.

As a developer, I think publishers actually have contempt for the actual product they sell. They fundamentally don't know what makes games good and show no willingness to listen to the opinions of developers (despite paying them for their game-making expertise), often saying they're too close to the project. This is why they're so reliant on marketing and reviews to sell the games, consistently ship them before they're ready, etc. Developers often mock the glowing impressions in previews for the things they gloss over, don't notice or mistakenly assume, while for many at the publisher this is the first concrete detail they've ever read on their product. This sounds extreme, but it really is the case.

This whole mess would go away if they released better games. But to release better games, you have to be able to perceive the quality of a game in the first place. For many publishers, the extent of their knowledge of how good a game is whatever their kid tells them after playing a beta for a few hours. For others, it's comparing the superficial qualities of the game to other products that have sold well - fundamentally, they're unable to separate quality and sales potential. It's this lack of knowledge that lets them blithely release games that could've been good with a few more months of work into the marketplace to die - without the ability to perceive quality, they can't translate the lack of quality into sales modifiers. It's, like, say if the executives at Proctor and Gamble had no sense of smell, and released an otherwise functional detergent that left your clothes smelling like fresh durian.

And, hey, we have people from these simple product manufacturers moving into the games sector now. Do you really think the head of Proctor and Gamble knows anything about games, or has any appreciation for them beyond their ability to generate his paycheck? He didn't go work for EA because he knows they have make good games, he goes to work for them because 1) He's heard of EA 2) Some industry rag told him games were hot now, and that EA's stock was going up 3) They can pay him a lot of money and give him options of said stock.

Why are bad reviews so galling to them? Because it's the proverbial egg on their face, the proof that they don't understand their product. They paid good money for the marketing data that told them the games would sell well, and that means they're good... right?

A lot of this likely has to do with the generational and cultural gap between gamers and non-gamers, which should (hopefully) diminish as gamers infiltrate the upper echelons of the industry. However, unfortunately, to some extent their contempt for the reviewers is justified, in the sense that games that get bad reviews often sell well. This is just an extension of their contempt for the product, or at least the product's consumer - they'll buy anything, so why make it good? Consumer education has a long way to come when it comes to games - not just how to buy the right product for your kid, but how to buy good products for your kids. If gamers like ourselves weren't so elitist, by and large, our word of mouth could have a major impact in addressing this. That, or the problem with the industry is the world's parents' contempt for their children... but that's another post.

ANYWAY, I'm not advocating endless development cycles to perfect games - this is a business, after all. But just the ability to have a real, two-sided conversation with a publisher about the quality of the game and ways to tackle the project's issues would be a huge, huge step forward and ultimately eliminate the need for a lot of the back door payola that we see in today's enthusiast gaming media.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: