http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 01:16:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jedi Outcast: PC or Xbox?  (Read 1642 times)
Old Negus
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 08, 2005, 08:23:10 PM »

I've been watching Episodes 4-6 of Star Wars and have gotten in the mood for some more Jedi Knight action. I loved the first Jedi Knight and have been meaning to get into Jedi Outcast. Now's the perfect time.

So, does anyone have strong feelings as to the better version: PC or Xbox? I do have surround sound and the hi def connector (though no hdtv) for the Xbox, and love the comfortable chair factor of the Xbox, but in my limited first-person forays in the Xbox world, I've had a difficult time controlling the action to my liking. The PC's better graphics and more precise control are its alluring factors for me. And the PC version is 10 bucks cheaper now, always nice.

I do prefer to play in first person view (reviews mention there's a choice between 1st and 3rd). So, anyone have an opinion? Thanks!
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2005, 09:30:02 PM »

I have played both and I would definitely go with the PC version.   Looks and controls better.  And it is only $10 for the PC.  Saw it at Walmart today actually.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2005, 09:36:32 PM »

I'd play Jedi Academy before I played Jedi Outcast again. It solves most of Outcast's ridiculous level design problems, and the game actually manages to be lots of fun instead of cool, but tedious.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2005, 11:58:23 PM »

Go with Jedi Outcast for the PC.  It's fun, and while Jedi Academy was fun too it felt like a full sized expansion pack.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2005, 12:39:11 AM »

Definitely the PC version. Not only the reasons already mentioned, but you also can get custom maps, mods, skins, etc. that you can't get on the Xbox.
While Jedi Academy was definitely better than Outcast (been some time since I played) it wasn't that huge of a difference to really warrant an extra $15-$20 to buy it. It did seem like an expansion the more I think about it.

Of course with the PC version, you can play it for as long as you want, even if you get a new computer or microsoft release a new operating system. Can't say the same about the Xbox.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Old Negus

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2005, 02:00:51 AM »

Hmm, thanks all. I'm leaning more towards the PC version now. Maybe that's what I get asking this in the PC forum. slywink

I'll probably still play it on the TV with the big sound system. Put the mouse and keyboard on the coffee table and I'm good to go. Yes... now I'm all excited about being a Jedi again!
Kev199
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2005, 03:28:58 AM »

It's funny that I just reinstalled this game yesterday after a sudden urge to play it. slywink

Then I see this topic on the forum and WOAH!!
Old Negus

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2005, 07:07:21 PM »

Yes, that's what we call "The Force," Kev.

I'm going to play the entire game with the blast shield down on my helmet.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2005, 06:07:01 PM »

play with the dismemberment enabled.  nothing more satisfying than seeing limbs lopped off when you use saber throw.  really makes you feel like a badass jedi when it happens.

Old Negus

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2005, 08:35:22 PM »

Whoa, there's a dismemberment option? That's really cool. There's a lot of dismemberment in the movies... why not the games?
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2005, 09:04:50 PM »

I've been itching to play Jedi Academy online. I played the hell out of it when it first came out and it was so much fun between force powers and saber fights it was a blast. Any of you interested in something like that?

Ascendent
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2005, 10:20:50 PM »

I'm starting to want to buy Jedi Outcast or Jedi Academy all over again now. (I used to have both of them a while back but as with most games, got bored after a while and traded them off.)
From what I remember though, Jedi Academy didn't really offer much more than Outcast did. I think it had a 'Siege' mode or something like that that had different player classes, but the game wasn't playable in singleplayer. All the game types were playable offline in Outcast. (Which was a decent selection in the first place.)

Is it really worth paying $25-$30 for Jedi Academy when you can get Jedi Outcast for $10? The graphics look just about identicle (since they're both based off of the quake 3 engine) the only real difference is that academy has a little more in terms of game types, a few new characters, of course a new singleplayer campaign.. man what a decision lol.

Which one to get, the $10 Outcast or the "Add-On" Academy?

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Old Negus

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2005, 06:16:22 PM »

Picked up Outcast for $8 used at EB last night (PC version) and got a fair amount of play in. Having a ton of fun with it. I'd recommend Outcast, Corrupt.

How I missed blasting stormtroopers.
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2005, 08:12:39 PM »

The best thing to do in this game is to enable the "g_saberrealisticcombat 1" cheat and then cut everyone up. its not eve really a cheat, just makes the saber work like a saber should, what a great idea. I love this game! biggrin

if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
Old Negus

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2005, 10:08:02 PM »

Thanks Jimmy. I changed the cfg file. It'll be awhile until I get a lightsaber I guess, but I'm looking forward to it.

And still loving this game. I seem to remember people being pretty harsh on it when it came out, but it's spectacular so far. I don't mind not having the Force yet. That seemed to be one of the biggest complaints.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: