http://gamingtrend.com
July 28, 2014, 01:25:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jeanne D'Arc Impressions  (Read 9525 times)
Gratch
Gaming Trend Senior Member

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: September 27, 2007, 05:02:09 PM »

Quote from: Kemper Boyd on September 26, 2007, 02:29:25 PM

Quote from: Gratch on September 25, 2007, 04:00:13 AM

Thanks Kemper, I'll give that strategy a try.  I've had the need to use AOE spells so infrequently that I almost forgot they were there! 
So I just tried this level again with level 60ish peeps and I took the Big G down in 4 turns by just concentrating on him(?) alone. I probably could have done it in 3 if I had planned better. AoE FTW!

Looks like I was just using the wrong tactics.  I followed Kemper's strategy and took him down in 3 turns as well to beat the game last night.  I couple final observations:

-  Very strong story throughout.  I liked the idea of having a few of the characters jump in and out of your party at certain points.  However, they would jump back in at much lower levels than the rest of the party, which could make it rather difficult to keep them alive.  Certainly kept you on your toes, as you never knew who you would lose or when.

-  Pretty easy for an SRPG.  I only lost 2 battles in the entire game (one of them being my first try at the final boss), and they were both simple strategy adjustments.  I suppose I just did too many free combats, but I felt vastly overlevelled for the final third of the game.

-  Perfect length for me at just over 40 hours.  Any longer, and I probably would have started losing interest.

- I said it in an earlier post, but Level 5 did a great job at fixing many of the minor annoyances with SRPG games.  In fact, I think it will be tough to start FFT in a couple weeks, since many of my minor gripes will be present.

Overall, I had a ton of fun with Jeanne D'Arc.  It's my GOTY so far, although I'm guessing that Rock Band or Mass Effect may take that title.  It was certainly worth purchasing a PSP for.  smile

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
warning

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 27, 2007, 05:50:04 PM »

I guess I need to do more free battles.  I'm hating the "you must get your entire party to the lighted squares before then end of turn 12" parts.  I want to focus on killing the bad guys but it seems like I can't do that well and still get there in time.
Dirt
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 27, 2007, 07:28:02 PM »

I'm having a ball right now just binding shit.

I do have a quibble with the balance though.  Sniper II is crap.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 27, 2007, 08:17:24 PM »

Quote from: Dirt on September 27, 2007, 07:28:02 PM

I'm having a ball right now just binding shit.

I do have a quibble with the balance though.  Sniper II is crap.

Sniper IV is pretty good, even though it's not very likely you'll miss anyway once you get to that level.

Kemper Boyd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 27, 2007, 10:17:47 PM »

Gotta chime in again:

My favorite archer skills are Meteor Shot and Sky Dart. Sniper is only really good when you are lower level than your opponents and are having trouble hitting.

A good, quick way to powerlevel is The Shrine in the Woods level. This actually the very first level so the baddies are not so tough. Put a single character on the map, equip them with an Exp Bonus gem - IV is you got it - and clear out the baddies in 2-3 turns. The single character should go up one level per map run and all of your characters will gain a level every 4 map runs. The key here is that a map run only takes 2-3 minutes. You can level up fast and easy this way. I know that the level 50 dragons on Altois Prarie are nice - especially if you are way below their level - but that level feels like it takes forever even if you can Cyclone II/Exp Bonus IV yourself to 135 exp per shot. I actually like to use Shrine for my characters who can counter (melee) and Altois for those who don't (mages and archers). Counters make the Shrine just fly by.

You can usually kill everybody in the "run away" levels - with the exception of the Talbot level because that is so early on. You can actually 'kite' the baddies so that they all come towards your party and then just wipe them all out with a well timed transformation. I've had Jeanne or Gilles cruise quite a ways going from kill to kill using Godspeed - just use your other people to soften the baddies up and then cruise on through with your armlet bearer.

I'm working my way through the postgame right now - just killed Tiamat and am on round 7 of my second season of the Colliseum.
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 15, 2007, 01:52:37 PM »

I jsut picked this up and so far it seems fun.  I have a couple of questions.  I'm very very early on; in the first 3 or 4 stages.  I have a few spells in my inventory list that I can't seem to equip on any of my characters, even though they appear to be high enough level.  What gives?  Also, there are some sparkly patches on the ground in some of the battles.  What do those do?  TIA.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 15, 2007, 02:26:07 PM »

Sparkly patches mean that if you move to them you will pick up some treasure.

In terms of spells- I'm assuming you are referring to weapon-specific spells.  If a spell is designed for a dagger (indicated by the icon) then it can only be used by someone who uses a dagger. 
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 15, 2007, 02:29:52 PM »

Are those the red ones?  Yeah, maybe that's what's going on.  I think I may start over again to get the sparkly patches.  Do you have to end a turn on one, or just walk over it?

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 15, 2007, 02:40:02 PM »

*Don't* start over for the sparkly patches.  Their loot isn't impressive at all. 

Yeah, the weapon specific skills are red (offensive) or purple (passive). 
warning

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 15, 2007, 02:44:11 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 15, 2007, 02:40:02 PM

*Don't* start over for the sparkly patches.  Their loot isn't impressive at all.

Yeah I think I had about 4 bucklers in my first 4 treasures.  And your character has to end their turn on the sparkle in order to unearth the treasure.
KC

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 17, 2007, 10:02:22 PM »

I just finished the game and would give it an A-.  My only gripe is that I only had to transform my characters on one mission during the game, and it wasn't the final boss battle.  I liked the fact that this game wasn't as complex as other SRPGs and that meant it went well with the PSP's portability. 

I'm thinking about getting FFT, but am wary of the views in the other thread saying that game is hard.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 17, 2007, 11:09:35 PM »

Quote from: KC on October 17, 2007, 10:02:22 PM

I'm thinking about getting FFT, but am wary of the views in the other thread saying that game is hard.

But so rewarding. 

FFT is the seven course meal to Jeanne D'Arc's appetizer. 
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 18, 2007, 02:55:56 AM »

Quote from: KC on October 17, 2007, 10:02:22 PM

My only gripe is that I only had to transform my characters on one mission during the game, and it wasn't the final boss battle.

Wow, that's pretty amazing.  I was constantly doing transformations.  Typically not for the attack increases, but more as a healing technique.

It's certainly hard, but not unfair.  It forces you to think about tactics, which I never really had to worry about much in Jeanne.  Hell, I didn't even use an AOE spell until Jeanne's last couple battles.  I much prefer FFT's job system to the JD's skill stone system as well.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 18, 2007, 12:47:22 PM »

At another forum (which i fled, because things seem better behaved here and, well, you guys have cooler smilies  drool thumbsup), people kept arguing over whether FFT:WoL or Jeanne was "better," and my line was "Why don't we PSP fans just enjoy having two great games on the same system instead of bashing each other over the head about it?" smile I have both. In fact, now that I have PSP slim, maybe I should keep one in the old PSP and one in the Slim, and just go back and forth between the two games.  icon_biggrin

fwiw, I found Jeanne easier to get into, and more fun to some extent (though I have only played FFT:WoL a little bit). I think you have a bit more camera movement flexibility in Jeanne too.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 12:49:32 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 18, 2007, 03:43:44 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on October 18, 2007, 12:47:22 PM

At another forum (which i fled, because things seem better behaved here and, well, you guys have cooler smilies  drool thumbsup), people kept arguing over whether FFT:WoL or Jeanne was "better," and my line was "Why don't we PSP fans just enjoy having two great games on the same system instead of bashing each other over the head about it?" smile

Bwahahahahahaha!  Ah, welcome to the site Blackjack.

Gamertag = IkeV
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: October 18, 2007, 04:14:48 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 17, 2007, 11:09:35 PM

FFT is the seven course meal to Jeanne D'Arc's appetizer.

a little over the top - but true...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 26, 2007, 01:08:16 PM »

I'm on Chapter 6 now which I guess means I might be about 2/3 of the way through.  This might be one of the first games that I actually finish since beating FFT about 8 years ago (yes I'm bad at finishing games!)

It's got a few quirks but I've enjoyed the ride so far!  Story is a bit bleh for me and I feel little attachment to most of the characters.  However things start picking up around Rouen.  I hope I can beat this so that I can finally open up Brave Story New Traveler!
KC

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 26, 2007, 01:26:57 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on December 26, 2007, 01:08:16 PM

I hope I can beat this so that I can finally open up Brave Story New Traveler!

I finished both and thought that Jeanne D'Arc was better.  It may be because there are a lot more JRPGs than JSRPGs available.  Brave Story was competent, but nothing new.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 29, 2007, 03:18:01 AM »

Gah just got my butt kicked on level 9 of the Colosseum.  God fucking dammit.  2 hours of my life wasted.  Basically kicked ass all they way up to level 8 and then number 9 totally kicked my ass.  This game really does it's best to make me NOT want to play it.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 29, 2007, 06:36:51 AM »

Quote from: KC on December 26, 2007, 01:26:57 PM

I finished both and thought that Jeanne D'Arc was better.  It may be because there are a lot more JRPGs than JSRPGs available.  Brave Story was competent, but nothing new.

I would agree.  I got bored pretty quickly with Brave Story.

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 29, 2007, 04:16:18 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on December 29, 2007, 06:36:51 AM

Quote from: KC on December 26, 2007, 01:26:57 PM

I would agree.  I got bored pretty quickly with Brave Story.

probably not for everyone, but i really enjoyed it (& thought it was very well put together)...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 30, 2007, 01:02:12 AM »

How long did it take you?
KC

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 30, 2007, 01:18:48 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on December 30, 2007, 01:02:12 AM

How long did it take you?

Brave Story took about 25 hours.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 13, 2008, 09:10:34 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on December 29, 2007, 03:18:01 AM

Gah just got my butt kicked on level 9 of the Colosseum.  God fucking dammit.  2 hours of my life wasted.  Basically kicked ass all they way up to level 8 and then number 9 totally kicked my ass.  This game really does it's best to make me NOT want to play it.

Heh, yeah one of my biggest complaints is the fact that you can spend 2 hours in battle just to lose in the end and have to start over. I was on my last turn and I had one more guy to kill, got him down to like 12 health and the turn ended and I lost  icon_neutral

Right now the game shows my play time at the 10 hour mark but I'm sure in reality its close to the high teens from losing and having to start over.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 13, 2008, 11:23:53 PM »

Well I just beat it yesterday.  It doesn't hold a candle to FFT but that is probably an unfair comparison.  It's probably the first game I've beaten since Ico and that was only a 10 hour game.  Overall it was not bad. I would have liked cooler spell animations like in Final Fantasy Tactics.  I got 41 hours out of it (probably around 45 hours with the restarts) so that's a pretty good ratio when you consider that it only cost $30.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 28, 2008, 09:35:09 AM »

I just found out today that the purple-haired Gilles that Jeanne always hangs out with in the game was actually a brutal serial killer.  I always thought there was something a bit shady about that guy.  Perhaps that has something to do with what he did at the very end of the game?  Maybe he wasn't strong enough after all.  You could certainly see a relationship between what he did at the end and then his killing and torture of +200 young boys.
Kemper Boyd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 28, 2008, 06:14:56 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on January 28, 2008, 09:35:09 AM

I just found out today that the purple-haired Gilles that Jeanne always hangs out with in the game was actually a brutal serial killer.  I always thought there was something a bit shady about that guy.  Perhaps that has something to do with what he did at the very end of the game?  Maybe he wasn't strong enough after all.  You could certainly see a relationship between what he did at the end and then his killing and torture of +200 young boys.
I am sure that is exactly what the game designers intended...

This was easily my favorite game of 2007 and a lot of that had to do with the blending of history and fantasy and the nice twists to the historical record. Plus it was just all-out fun to play.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 15, 2008, 09:02:00 PM »

I finished Jeanne D'Arc earlier today, and I thought it was really terrific!  Between this, Rogue Galaxy and Dark Cloud 2, I'm reaching the point where games developed by Level-5 are automatic purchases.

I passed the whole game without consulting any sort of hint guide, and I was especially proud when I managed to pass the entire Colosseum on my second try.  (The first time I wiped on the fourth level because I made very unwise decisions about who to use.)  The ninth level *almost* took me down when all my characters were killed except Claire, but with a little conservative item use, she was able to beat the last bad guy and get me into the tenth round.  The rewards at the end were well worth the effort, too; if I remember correctly, I kept them equipped all the way through the end of the game. thumbsup

After finishing, I looked at a couple of the guides to see if I missed anything important, and I was surprised to see some of the characters that other people liked.  Rufus?  Really?  That guy can't swing his axe hard enough to break open an egg.  Bartolomeo, on the other paw: that dude was a *tank!*  With Helmsplitter, Health Recovery II, and a proper set of armor, he was cleaving through some of the toughest enemies in the game without any support at all.

I also found Liane a lot more useful than most people.  It's true that she's weak as a kitten to start with, but with a few levels under her belt, her spellcasting skill was extremely helpful.

It's almost redundant to say at this point in the thread, but Jeanne is a gorgeous game!  I'm a big fan of the clean, colorful anime look Level-5 uses in their titles, and I was really impressed at the quality of all the animated cutscenes used to advance the main story.  Such a great way to really drive home some of the most critical plot points...!

Jeanne D'Arc is both the first SRPG game, and the first PSP game I've ever completed, and I loved it all the way through.  It's a great pick for people who can get turned off by all the level grinding and micromanagement that's common in this genre, and I definitely recommend it! nod

-Autistic Angel
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 15, 2008, 10:52:35 PM »

Rufus was ok.  At first the bloody guy couldn't hit anything!!  Bart was definitely awesome
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 11, 2008, 09:50:46 PM »

just got this from Gamefly and so far i really like it.   this is my first ever SRPG, so i got questions....particularly on character development.

i just got to the stage where i get 2 members added to my party......and guy with and Lance and some other fella....i think its the 3rd battle.

questions.......

do you keep getting party members throughout the game and you have to decide who to take into a battle?   if so, what characters did everyone find helpful and how did they use them?

also, is it recommended to buy from shops or do you get better equipment from drops?

KC

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: May 12, 2008, 12:10:41 AM »

Quote from: Xmann on May 11, 2008, 09:50:46 PM

just got this from Gamefly and so far i really like it.   this is my first ever SRPG, so i got questions....particularly on character development.

i just got to the stage where i get 2 members added to my party......and guy with and Lance and some other fella....i think its the 3rd battle.

questions.......

do you keep getting party members throughout the game and you have to decide who to take into a battle?   if so, what characters did everyone find helpful and how did they use them?

also, is it recommended to buy from shops or do you get better equipment from drops?

You will get more party members and there will be times when you will have to decide which ones to take to battle.  There will also be times when certain team members are not available for a battle, so you are going to have to level up your team instead of going with a core combat group.

IIRC, you can buy pretty good equipment at the shops and you get lots of loot drops so money isn't much of an issue.  I don't recall if the very best equipment and spells were available for purchase or whether you had to get them from loot drops.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 12, 2008, 12:22:04 AM »

Quote from: Xmann

You will acquire several different characters throughout the main quest.  Almost every mission allows you to select characters to take with you on the battlefield, but some missions will require certain people for storyline or tactical reasons.

I would recommend making frequent use of Lianne.  She may seem timid and ineffectual at first, but her comparatively large mana pool makes her a valuable spellcaster and the rest of her stats catch up swiftly.  Players who neglect her will come to regret it.

I also recommend holding on to all of the different skill and stat gems you pick up.  It's tempting to sell off the excess for gold, but you'll come up with a more valuable use for them as the game goes on.

-Autistic Angel
biggercup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: May 12, 2008, 04:25:50 AM »

I am into about 30 hours. For me, this is one of the best PSP game that I played.
Easy to get into and play.

I tried Wild Arm XF and I just couldn't get into it.
However, Jeanne D'Arc is such a fun.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 27, 2010, 12:59:54 AM »

okay - it's finally gotten around to being jeanne d'arc time. gotta admit, i'm still finding the game a bit boring, & easy (i haven't really even paid attention to the rock/paper/scissor skill part yet), but the graphics & music go a long way in making up for that. i've already made it to chapter 3 (which is beyond where i was when i quit), & will hopefully be going the distance this time...

for france! smile ...

edit: actually, i take that back - easy most of the time, & then periodically you'll hit a battle loaded with enemy spawning. weird...
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 04:08:58 AM by semiconscious » Logged

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 29, 2010, 01:02:26 AM »

i've begun chapter 6, &, finally, the plot has taken an interesting turn (in case you forget):

Spoiler for Hiden:
the death of liane (well deserved), the transformation of roger (i feel it's an improvement smile ), & the whole reaper element...

it's truly a well-made, & very pretty, game, &, aside from the nasty spawning here'n'there (which i realize is something of a genre staple), the battles've been very satisfactory for the most part. & credit where credit's due - henry vi is pretty damn awesome smile . but it's only now, beyond the half-way point, that i'm kinda actually getting into the game? can't really put my finger on why, but i think the melodramatics combined with the lame attempts at humor likely have a great deal to do with it. because, all along, i've thought jeanne herself's a great lead character - maybe a smaller, more fleshed-out support cast would've worked better for me...
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 04:26:33 AM by semiconscious » Logged

Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 29, 2010, 03:08:59 AM »

Quote from: semiconscious on July 27, 2010, 12:59:54 AM

okay - it's finally gotten around to being jeanne d'arc time. gotta admit, i'm still finding the game a bit boring, & easy

My one biggest complaint was the lack of difficulty that you mention. Most battles took no real strategy, and I recall being highly disappointed by that.

The fabulous presentation, well-designed maps, and entertaining story make up for that shortcoming, but the lack of difficulty levels pull the game down from exceptional to very good.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 01, 2010, 09:10:52 PM »

& finished - viva la france!. good game that never quite becomes a great game, despite the great game quality production values...

i never did bother with the rock/paper/scissor mechanic, &, to the extent most if not all bosses were immune to it, i'm not really sure it served any purpose whatsoever. other than that, i liked just about all the rest of the gameplay features, the aura & binding aspects in particular...

tho i suppose it served to keep the story kinda interesting, i wasn't too crazy about the 'character leaves the party' parts - it never seriously messed me up, but i could see where it might if you'd already chosen to go with other characters. &, speaking of the story, it was, for me, easily the weakest part of the game. up til maybe 2/3 of the way thru, the story-telling was almost doggedly single-minded & simplistic, particularly when compared to what i'd consider to be the best games in the genre. &, even when compared to some srpgs with equally simplistic stories (like the 2 ffta games), there was just this overwhelming mundanity, in both the dialog & pacing, which felt very out of sync with what was supposed to be, & definitely looked & sounded like, an epic tale (&, yeah, the language/accent-based attempts to lighten things up a bit went quickly from obnoxious to just plain painful)...

all of which is even more unfortunate considering jd has possibly one of the best villains this gen:

me, i think he deserved better than this smile ...

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 01, 2010, 11:46:21 PM »

Quote from: semiconscious on August 01, 2010, 09:10:52 PM

i wasn't too crazy about the 'character leaves the party' parts - it never seriously messed me up, but i could see where it might if you'd already chosen to go with other characters.

That was my least favorite thing about Jeanne.  In fact, I don't think I've ever played an RPG where that particular gameplay tactic has made the game more fun instead of frustrating.  This is doubly true in SRPG's where the main draw is allowing players to develop characters in particular way.  Suddenly yanking the character you've spent dozens of hours progressing without any warning is an absolutely infuriating tactic from developers.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: