http://gamingtrend.com
April 16, 2014, 12:26:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Japanese DS Lite Questions  (Read 577 times)
KC
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: September 15, 2006, 10:14:30 PM »

I'm going to Japan on business in a few weeks and am thinking about picking up an Ice Blue DS Lite and have a few questions:

1.  Is there anyone here who lives in Japan or who has recently been to Japan who knows how much the DS Lite costs in Japan?  Is it about the same price as in the U.S. except for the exchange rate?
2.  I know that the DS Lite is region free, but will I be able to plug the Japanese DS Lite power adapter into a U.S. electrical socket?  Does the Japanese DS light have an option for english language system option menus?
3.  Is there anything else that I should consider before buying a Japanese DS Light?
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2006, 10:20:29 PM »

I can't answer your first question, though I thought the DS Lite was always sold out in Japan.  Maybe things have improved.

As far as question 2, I imported a navy blue one at launch and use it here in the U.S just fine, so no problems there.  When it first comes up, it will be in Japanese, but it isn't too difficult to work your way through the options and set it to English.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2006, 10:56:30 PM »

I hope you succeed in finding one...they're still supposed to be impossible to find in JPN.
egrudzin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2006, 11:25:01 PM »

The warranty is the only major issue with buying a Japanese DS Lite.  Since it's made by Nintendo Japan, if it breaks you will need to send it back to Japan to get it fixed which will be costly.  I want to say the DS warranty is 1 year (I also have a Japanese DS Lite, and since I can't read the manual I don't know).  It's pretty durable and probably reliable but it's certainly something to consider.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2006, 01:02:04 AM »

The voltage in Japan is 100V instead of our 110V, but I'm almost certain the DS plug is the same for either version.  The voltage difference is so minimal, almost everything electrical works just fine in either country.

If you're going to be in Tokyo, Akihabara is the part of town that is known for its electronics.  It's like a Fry's Electronics that encompasses multiple city blocks.
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2006, 05:17:49 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on September 16, 2006, 01:02:04 AM

The voltage in Japan is 100V instead of our 110V, but I'm almost certain the DS plug is the same for either version.  The voltage difference is so minimal, almost everything electrical works just fine in either country.

If you're going to be in Tokyo, Akihabara is the part of town that is known for its electronics.  It's like a Fry's Electronics that encompasses multiple city blocks.

I have read that running Japanese equipment on 110V will wear it out faster than if it were run on 100V. For my Japanese PS2, I bought a converter that adjusts 110V to 100V. I plug the PS2 into the converter and then the converter into an outlet.

However, you are merely charging a Japanese DS Lite on 110V, so I'm guessing that it wouldn't be a big deal at all. And low and behold, I just took at look at the AC Adapter for my US DS Lite. Interestingly enough, it's a 100V adapter designed for both Japan and the US. So the final answer appears to be that there is no difference at all between a Japanese DS Lite and a US DS Lite; even the adapters are the same. You'd just switch the menus to English and off you go.

I was in Japan in July, and DS Lites were nowhere to be found. I was in about four dozen electronics stores and never saw one for sale. List price was about 17,000 yen, which is about $140. I just checked availability now on Amazon Japan. No DSs are available directly from Amazon, but the jet black ones are on-sale third party starting at 21,000 yen (about $180).

Have a great trip, though!

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2006, 10:26:28 AM »

I haven't checked recently (check's the Bic Camera website as I type...)  Hmm yes the price is 16,800 yen.  I don't know about availability because I bought one on Day 1 and haven't looked back since.  Don't bother going to Akihabara though (unless you want to of course) as you aren't going to get any discounts.  A DS costs what a DS costs and that's that.  However I would suggest you go to Bic Camera (they're everywhere) and I would be happy to let you buy it using my Bic Camera card and I would take those 10% points smile
I've never had a problem with the battery.  I suspect that the DS that you buy in America is basically exactly the same DS as the one that you buy in Japan anyways.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: