http://gamingtrend.com
November 28, 2014, 12:35:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Japan 360 software numbers  (Read 1758 times)
Canuck
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I live in Japan

View Profile
« on: March 03, 2008, 01:46:43 AM »

Here they are! I might make this a monthly feature or at least until the bookstore staff catch me taking pictures of their magazines.  Microsoft must be currently catering to the female gamer here in Japan because this months issue's cover was covered entirely in girly pink!  Here are the sales results for the top 10 this month (and to date).  I don't make these numbers up, I just take pictures of them!  It's always interesting, especially when it comes to the 360, what our Japanese cousins are buying.

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 01:48:04 AM »

Oops I'm going to have to use a different font next time.  Obviously if you want to get your game in the top 10 you have to add a "4" to the title.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 02:11:17 AM »

Doing this monthly isnt worth the effort, Canuck. The software numbers are so dismal and inconsequential that I don't see a reason for anyone aside from Microsoft and Japanese developers to pay attention.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 03:27:10 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on March 03, 2008, 02:11:17 AM

Doing this monthly isnt worth the effort, Canuck. The software numbers are so dismal and inconsequential that I don't see a reason for anyone aside from Microsoft and Japanese developers to pay attention.

I have to agree with that.  I personaly don't care what the Japanese are buying for any of the platforms. 

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 03:43:34 AM »

Quote from: denoginizer on March 03, 2008, 03:27:10 AM

I have to agree with that.  I personaly don't care what the Japanese are buying for any of the platforms. 

Me either, I'm not even sure what the point is here.  I, as well as most others, know 360 sales suck in Japan, what are you trying to prove?

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 04:06:11 AM »

Quote from: GatorFavre on March 03, 2008, 03:43:34 AM

Me either, I'm not even sure what the point is here.  I, as well as most others, know 360 sales suck in Japan, what are you trying to prove?

what, we don't want a regularly scheduled monthly flame fest?  Tongue

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2008, 04:39:08 AM »

That you're all a bunch of self-centered Americans? smile  I for one find it fascinating to see different purchasing trends of different cultures of people.  I also like to know what American franchises Japanese people are interested in.  I'm curious to know just how well Lost Odyssey did in Japan because it might have some effect on Lost Odyssey 2.  But don't worry, if you're not interested then next time you can not bother clicking on the link and go back to your self-imposed lack of curiousity. Tongue
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2008, 04:48:12 AM »

Yep, the NPDs aren't the only numbers out there.

However, I wonder if someone could post better numbers broken down into more countries.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2008, 04:51:08 AM »

still amazed that '???'' continues to do so well...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2008, 05:11:02 AM »

Quote from: semiconscious on March 03, 2008, 04:51:08 AM

still amazed that '???'' continues to do so well...

Yeah who would have thought? smile  Sorry but I'm still working on my kanji and the resolution doesnt help.  I'm pretty sure the first kanji is "chi" or "ji" and the "3" means "3" smile
Whatever it is, it's one of those samurai games where you battle hundreds of enemies at once-never could get into them.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2008, 05:23:54 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on March 03, 2008, 04:39:08 AM

But don't worry, if you're not interested then next time you can not bother clicking on the link and go back to your self-imposed lack of curiousity. Tongue

but we Americans enjoy sticking our noses into other peoples business, so I doubt that's going to work very well.

Because I can,
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2008, 05:54:50 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on March 03, 2008, 04:39:08 AM

That you're all a bunch of self-centered Americans? smile  I for one find it fascinating to see different purchasing trends of different cultures of people.  I also like to know what American franchises Japanese people are interested in.  I'm curious to know just how well Lost Odyssey did in Japan because it might have some effect on Lost Odyssey 2.  But don't worry, if you're not interested then next time you can not bother clicking on the link and go back to your self-imposed lack of curiousity. Tongue

Then why say something like, "I don't make these numbers up, I just take pictures of them?"

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2008, 07:34:27 AM »

I'm not sure I understand your point here.  Let me assure you however that I will not put a gun to your head nor will I try to trick you into coming into my thread by titling it "American 360 software numbers"
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2008, 08:21:16 AM »

It's interesting that the oldest title on the list is from November.  I guess the games aren't having much staying power in the top 10.  I'm glad to see Lost Odyssey doing (relatively) well.  It looks like the US sales are strong enough to ensure localization of a sequel, so hopefully it'll keep selling in Japan so it'll get made.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2008, 08:33:17 AM »

Someone else (probably Kevin Grey) mentioned that in Japan, videogames sells have huge growth in the first week of sale and then it drops off sharply.  Check out Lost Odyssey-it has sold 100k in Japan so far but only sold 5000 in the last time period despide the fact that it's only been out for 3 months.  Uncharted was practically the opposite in North America I believe.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2008, 11:29:45 AM »

Dynasty Warriors 6 and Fatal Inertia didn't make the list? Oy.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2008, 01:53:55 PM »

Quote from: Canuck
Someone else (probably Kevin Grey) mentioned that in Japan, videogames sells have huge growth in the first week of sale and then it drops off sharply.  Check out Lost Odyssey-it has sold 100k in Japan so far but only sold 5000 in the last time period despide the fact that it's only been out for 3 months.  Uncharted was practically the opposite in North America I believe.

Yeah, with some exceptions (primarily "mainstream" Wii and DS titles like Wii Fit and Brain Training), the Japanese market is even more frontloaded than the US market.  From what I've read used game sales are far more prominent than in the US so after a title has been out for a week or so most people just buy used instead of new. 

Quote from: EddieA on March 03, 2008, 08:21:16 AM

It's interesting that the oldest title on the list is from November.  I guess the games aren't having much staying power in the top 10.  I'm glad to see Lost Odyssey doing (relatively) well.  It looks like the US sales are strong enough to ensure localization of a sequel, so hopefully it'll keep selling in Japan so it'll get made.

Yeah, I think LO will be the rare case of the JRPG that does much better in the US than Japan (which I don't think you could say for Blue Dragon). 
Wolves
Gaming Trend Reader

DAMMIT!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2008, 03:19:15 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on March 03, 2008, 01:46:43 AM

I might make this a monthly feature or at least until the bookstore staff catch me taking pictures of their magazines. 

Hahah! Game Sales Spy Extraordinaire!  ninja2
That's awesome!

As for anyone complaining, I don't think this is about how low numbers might be (I don't care about that part of it either), but the games they prefer. Which I do find interesting.

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2008, 03:25:08 PM »

Quote from: Wolves on March 03, 2008, 03:19:15 PM

As for anyone complaining, I don't think this is about how low numbers might be (I don't care about that part of it either), but the games they prefer. Which I do find interesting.

I think 360 games not selling well in Japan is a given at this point.  Personally I don't care what games the Japanese prefer any more than I care about what games Germans, Koreans, or Russians prefer.  It is completely irrelevant to me.

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2008, 04:27:36 PM »

I'd personally like to see a monthly posting of Japan sales for all 5 consoles and handhelds and I'd like to see the same for Europe. Seeing Japan Sales numbers for only the 360 doesn't say much since we know it's a dead console in that market anyways.
Oh...and since the NPD's we get every month don't even include Canadian numbers, I'd love to see those too. Hell... I wouldn't be even be annoyed if someone posted the Australian numbers; more information is good not bad.  slywink thumbsup
depward

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2008, 04:31:48 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on March 03, 2008, 03:25:08 PM

I think 360 games not selling well in Japan is a given at this point.  Personally I don't care what games the Japanese prefer any more than I care about what games Germans, Koreans, or Russians prefer.  It is completely irrelevant to me.

Because this is an American-only board, right?

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2008, 05:18:31 PM »

Quote from: depward on March 03, 2008, 04:31:48 PM

I really don't care what games Americans prefer either.  That is also irrelevant to me.  A game being a big seller doesn't make me any more likely to purchase it.

depward

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2008, 05:52:46 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on March 03, 2008, 05:18:31 PM

I really don't care what games Americans prefer either.  That is also irrelevant to me.  A game being a big seller doesn't make me any more likely to purchase it.

So NPD threads = not interesting?

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2008, 05:55:11 PM »

Quote from: depward on March 03, 2008, 05:52:46 PM

So NPD threads = not interesting?

The sales numbers?  No.

The threads themselves.  Yes.   icon_biggrin

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2008, 06:01:48 PM »

Then don't bother reading the thread... is it that difficult to not read it?  I know I find these numbers interesting, it can help see trends, which can also help in seeing what Japanese devs may be inclined to do for the system.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2008, 06:03:31 PM »

Yeah, I'm rather baffled by the number of people just hopping in here to say "this thread doesn't interest me so please never post one like it again."  Especially when it couldn't be more clearly labeled what it was about. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2008, 06:24:20 PM »

honestly, I think if it had been anyone else other than someone who hasn't been a vocal supporter of the PS3 posting this thread it would have died quickly.  Why can't we all just get along?

Because I can,
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2008, 06:37:02 PM »

Ignore the haters, Canuck, I found it interesting and last I read, this wasn't a "North American game news only, no inconsequential international sales threads please" forum. icon_wink

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2008, 06:58:39 PM »

Quote from: Farscry on March 03, 2008, 06:37:02 PM

Ignore the haters, Canuck, I found it interesting and last I read, this wasn't a "North American game news only, no inconsequential international sales threads please" forum. icon_wink

Same here. Now you just have to determine what that ??? game is of yours. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2008, 07:42:28 PM »

November 2007 release date with a 3 in it.

Was Halo3 delayed in JP? slywink

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2008, 07:51:12 PM »

Quote from: Purge on March 03, 2008, 07:42:28 PM

It's most likely Earth Defense Force 3, which hit "Greatest Hits" or whatever it's called for 360 around then. 
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2008, 09:08:19 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on March 03, 2008, 07:51:12 PM

It's most likely Earth Defense Force 3, which hit "Greatest Hits" or whatever it's called for 360 around then. 

Earth Defence Force 3?! OMG I didn't even know such a game existed; only EDF 1 and 2 have been released here. If the ??? is indeed that game then I sure hope it gets a N.A. release; I'll most definitely be IN day 1.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2008, 09:45:24 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on March 03, 2008, 09:08:19 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on March 03, 2008, 07:51:12 PM

Earth Defence Force 3?! OMG I didn't even know such a game existed; only EDF 1 and 2 have been released here. If the ??? is indeed that game then I sure hope it gets a N.A. release; I'll most definitely be IN day 1.

Sorry to artificially raise your hopes and then burst them- ED3 was ED2017 here. IIRC, ED1&2 were PS2 games, neither of which were localized here though I think Europe might have gotten ED2. 
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2008, 10:54:50 PM »

I suppose that we could also use this thread to find humor in the idea that Japanese gamers seem to only show interest in quirky, gimmick-inspired games conducive mainly towards individuals with the mentality of a 12 year old. And rehab patients.

Sean Lama
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2008, 11:20:20 PM »

Yes I am a vocal supporter of the PS3 but I am not doing this thread, simply to say look how badly the Xbox 360 is doing-to do that I would have to post Sony's and Nintendo's numbers as well.  The reason why I find the 360's numbers interesting is because it is a North American console in Japan.  The reason why I post the 360's numbers is because recent polls have shown that 90% of forum goers have a 360.  The reason why I don't post Nintendo's or Sony's numbers is because their lists are filled with games that I can't understand the names of-which may or may not be part of the reason why the 360 sells a lot less games.  If the 360 had a lot more "???" games then they would probably do a lot better slywink
As for not caring about what happens in Japan, surely game development does not occur in a vacuum (that would be very uncomfortable).  I don't know what the relationship between Mystwalker and Microsoft is but in other case, poor software sales might mean that the sequel would jump to another platform.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2008, 11:25:17 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on March 03, 2008, 10:54:50 PM

I suppose that we could also use this thread to find humor in the idea that Japanese gamers seem to only show interest in quirky, gimmick-inspired games conducive mainly towards individuals with the mentality of a 12 year old. And rehab patients.

#7 on the list! Zombie hunters carrying katanas wearing nothing but a cowboy had and a bikini! smile

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2008, 12:42:14 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on March 03, 2008, 11:25:17 PM

#7 on the list! Zombie hunters carrying katanas wearing nothing but a cowboy had and a bikini! smile

Case in point slywink

Sean Lama
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2008, 12:54:06 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on March 04, 2008, 12:42:14 AM

Quote from: Canuck on March 03, 2008, 11:25:17 PM

Case in point slywink
You sir have obviously not seen this series in action, it's a pretty cool looking action title. Weird and all get out, but neat looking.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 01:19:10 AM by Tebunker » Logged

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: