http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 11:25:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jan Sales Numbers - Wii Wins!  (Read 3333 times)
Calvin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2007, 08:13:41 PM »

Quote from: Tebunker on February 21, 2007, 08:08:36 PM

Quote from: Calvin on February 21, 2007, 08:02:16 PM

Quote from: Tebunker on February 21, 2007, 07:36:04 PM

Quote from: Calvin on February 21, 2007, 02:01:21 PM

You really believe over the long run-4 or 5 years-that the Wii is going to outsell the PS3 in Japan? Once all the PS2-PS3 exclusives come out? I think you are underestimating their brand loyalty. It used to be for Nintendo for so many years, but I think it will prove strong with the PS3 as well (although losing DQ9 to the DS hurts BIG TIME).

I never said anything about over the next 4 to 5 years. I have no idea where you even pulled that out of? All I said is that the Wii is outselling the PS3 at a current 3:1 and that they will hit their 6million worldwide by the end of March. Also, I have never gone out and said that the Wii will win, I was just pointing out why others may be saying that, and then pointing to the outrageously good Japan sales.

Ah, I now understand where you are coming from oh wise lawyer man smile

Didn't pull it from anywhere-but when anyone references numbers in relation to a win, I always try to look at it with my eye to the long term numbers, hence my question about 4-5 years. smile

Hehe, you screwed up your quoting like I usually do smile
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2007, 03:36:47 AM »

Quote from: fyedaddy on February 21, 2007, 03:22:27 PM

No, I agree with you in that they all did well (so many of us here are just often caught up in the head-to-head console wars). Now I want to see more data on the software sales for each of these platforms.

Lost Planet did about 330k
WarioWare ~200k
Zelda (Wii) ~190k
Resistance ~140k
Gears  ~212k
R6:Vegas ~135k

Lost Planet sales incredibly disappointing IMO from the standpoint that Capcom shipped a million of them and expected blockbuster sales.  I would expect to see it discounted in the next several months with such a flood of copies.  Still might see a sequel since the sales are still good but it's not the blockbuster that Capcom expected/wanted.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2007, 06:28:39 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on February 22, 2007, 03:36:47 AM

No, I agree with you in that they all did well (so many of us here are just often caught up in the head-to-head console wars). Now I want to see more data on the software sales for each of these platforms.

WarioWare ~200k
Zelda (Wii) ~190k
Resistance ~140k
Gears  ~212k

Lost Planet sales incredibly disappointing IMO from the standpoint that Capcom shipped a million of them and expected blockbuster sales.  I would expect to see it discounted in the next several months with such a flood of copies.  Still might see a sequel since the sales are still good but it's not the blockbuster that Capcom expected/wanted.

sorry,is this januarys sales for the games?..i am guessing so with the numbers of gears and lost planet sales

i heard LP sold a million,was that just shipped then?

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2007, 12:49:54 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on February 21, 2007, 07:29:46 PM

Quote from: denoginizer on February 21, 2007, 05:37:07 PM

Personally I am very worried about the Wii's lineup for 2007. None of the launch titles appealed to me very much either.  I am hoping Tiger Woods turns out well.  I have never used a new console so little as I have used the Wii in my first 2 months of ownership.  I have yet to actually play a single player game on it except for a few games of Madden.

This isn't a problem with the Wii's software titles, but is just an issue with your taste in games (not saying that taste is good or bad).  I have bought 8 Wii games since launch and there are plenty of titles I am interested in.  So, it isn't a problem with there being software, though I admit it has been slow lately (but every console has this issue after launch), but instead is just an issue that none of the games interest you.

I'm with Grue here...well I would be if I could find him in all this pitch black...hey what's that s-
AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!

If you can't find plenty of games in the 07 list to get excited about among Sonic, Super Paper Mario, Super Mario Galaxy, Smash Bros, Strikers, Fire Emblem, Metroid, Godzilla Unleashed (IGN has new video, btw), DQ Swords, Mercury, No More Heroes, (and there's a bunch more) then perhaps this just isn't your console.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2007, 01:02:46 PM »

WarioWare ~200k
Zelda (Wii) ~190k
Resistance ~140k
Gears  ~212k

Man that is bad bad numbers for LP for Capcom considering their ship rate (of course, I don't think it helps that its obviously IMO a bad, bad game). Kevin-are those numbers just for january? If so, I am curious what the total is on Resistance, gears, and Vegas.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2007, 01:29:25 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on February 22, 2007, 06:28:39 AM

WarioWare ~200k
Zelda (Wii) ~190k
Resistance ~140k
Gears  ~212k

sorry,is this januarys sales for the games?..i am guessing so with the numbers of gears and lost planet sales

i heard LP sold a million,was that just shipped then?

Yep, that was just shipped.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2007, 01:35:20 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on February 22, 2007, 01:02:46 PM

Man that is bad bad numbers for LP for Capcom considering their ship rate (of course, I don't think it helps that its obviously IMO a bad, bad game). Kevin-are those numbers just for january? If so, I am curious what the total is on Resistance, gears, and Vegas.

Yep, January numbers.  Resistance is at about 500k I believe and looks to be pretty steadily holding at a 50% attach rate for the PS3.  None of the upcoming PS3 titles for a while should dent it either since VF5, Motorstorm, etc aren't really selling to the same audience.  Resistance looks to be *the* title for the PS3 for a long time to come.  Which is good news for Insomniac since no matter how poorly the PS3 does, Insomniac is still probably going to end up selling 2 million or more copies lifetime and should come off smelling like roses from the whole debacle.

GoW and Vegas I'm not too sure about- Gears should definitely be over 2 million sold now.  Vegas is probably over 600k.  Vegas has held on pretty well- I thought their holidays sales were kind of disappointing compared to what many other Tom Clancy titles have done but it looks to be holding on quite well. 
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2007, 02:08:05 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on February 22, 2007, 01:35:20 PM

Yep, January numbers.  Resistance is at about 500k I believe and looks to be pretty steadily holding at a 50% attach rate for the PS3.  None of the upcoming PS3 titles for a while should dent it either since VF5, Motorstorm, etc aren't really selling to the same audience.  Resistance looks to be *the* title for the PS3 for a long time to come.  Which is good news for Insomniac since no matter how poorly the PS3 does, Insomniac is still probably going to end up selling 2 million or more copies lifetime and should come off smelling like roses from the whole debacle.

GoW and Vegas I'm not too sure about- Gears should definitely be over 2 million sold now.  Vegas is probably over 600k.  Vegas has held on pretty well- I thought their holidays sales were kind of disappointing compared to what many other Tom Clancy titles have done but it looks to be holding on quite well. 

Thanks for the info-I think you are being a tad too preemptively negative though smile Even if the PS3 underwhelms and dissapoints us all in the longrun I think most of us hardcore gamers and PS2 fans will find enough to play on it by the end of its lifetime that we won't classify it as a debacle smile But yeah, I think Insomniac looks good no matter what with the stable of games they built up over last gen and this one. They are going to have some huge sellers.

(and you know I am totally picking on you right?  icon_wink)
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2007, 02:09:39 PM »

Kevin Grey wrote:
GoW and Vegas I'm not too sure about- Gears should definitely be over 2 million sold now.

<edit>Gears of War broke 2 million on December 15th. It recently passed the three million mark.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 02:16:36 PM by Dante Rising » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2007, 03:38:32 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on February 22, 2007, 12:49:54 PM

If you can't find plenty of games in the 07 list to get excited about among Sonic, Super Paper Mario, Super Mario Galaxy, Smash Bros, Strikers, Fire Emblem, Metroid, Godzilla Unleashed (IGN has new video, btw), DQ Swords, Mercury, No More Heroes, (and there's a bunch more) then perhaps this just isn't your console.

I can tell I'm going to love my Wii- there's 7 titles right there that I really,really want, and that's not including older GC games.  Right now I can only think of 5 upcoming titles (Assassins Creed, Mass Effect, Fable 2, Stranglehold, GRAW 2) I really want for my 360 and zero for the PS2 (2 for the PS3 though, but White Knight Story and FFXII are a ways off.).  Of course those numbers will change but right now the Wii will be getting alot of play from me.  NiM$ off of me!!!!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2007, 03:58:17 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 22, 2007, 03:38:32 PM

I can tell I'm going to love my Wii- there's 7 titles right there that I really,really want, and that's not including older GC games.  Right now I can only think of 5 upcoming titles (Assassins Creed, Mass Effect, Fable 2, Stranglehold, GRAW 2) I really want for my 360 and zero for the PS2 (2 for the PS3 though, but White Knight Story and FFXII are a ways off.).  Of course those numbers will change but right now the Wii will be getting alot of play from me.  NiM$ off of me!!!!

And this is how I know I have absolutley zero interest in ever owning a Wii. I have no interest whatsoever in a single game on that list smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2007, 04:08:55 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on February 22, 2007, 03:58:17 PM

And this is how I know I have absolutley zero interest in ever owning a Wii. I have no interest whatsoever in a single game on that list smile

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2007, 04:26:54 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 22, 2007, 04:08:55 PM

YA RLY

ban CK
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2007, 08:12:25 PM »

I'm with Calvin.  I really have no interest in a Wii.

Fortunately if I do get a desire to play one, I can just wander over to a friend's house and play.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2007, 08:23:30 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 22, 2007, 03:38:32 PM

Except for Smash Bros, Metroid and possibly Godzilla (all of which better have online play), I am not really interested in anything there either.  I am not a big Zelda fan so the Wii's launch lineup also did not impress me. 

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2007, 08:54:15 PM »

IGN has a list of 2007 first party titles for this year as announced by Nintendo of Japan. Here are the titles:

* Dairantou Smash Brothers X (Super Smash Bros. Brawl)
    * Disaster: Day of Crisis
    * Donkey Kong Taru Jet Race (DK Bongo Blast)
    * Doubutsu no Mori [Animal Crossing]
    * Forever Blue
    * Hoshi no Kirby (Kirby Adventure)
    * Mario Party 8
    * Mario Strikers Charged
    * Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
    * Project H.A.M.M.E.R.
    * Super Mario Galaxy
    * Totsugeki Famicom Wars (Battalion Wars II)
    * Wii Health Pack
    * Wii Music

If they get all these titles out this year, it's hard to argue that that's a strong list of 1st party titles for a first year of a console's life. Metroid and Mario Galaxy are the ones I want, but those are 2 monster titles. My fiance will be giddy for a new Animal Crossing. Lots of people here should be nuts for Smash Brothers. I would say that lineup blows away the 1st year exclusive lineup for the PS3 or 360 and it's just first party titles.

Having said that, I am skeptical all of those will come out this year. Metroid was originally a launch title and we all know how that turned out. There are even recent rumors about Metroid not even making it out this year. If that happens, my brain may explode with fury.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 03:08:02 AM by JCC » Logged

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Old Negus

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 22, 2007, 11:46:45 PM »

Ooh, forgot about Animal Crossing. I'd love to see that here this year. I've loved both versions so far, but was quite disappointed that they took out the classic games in the DS version. Probably no chance of those going back in with the Virtual Console.

I'm also very curious to see Wii Music.

Anyway, I'm not surprised to see the Wii doing so well. I have so many friends who are getting back into gaming because of it, or having fun gaming for the first time. My girlfriend's 93 year-old grandpa even had a great time playing it too when he tried it. Nintendo done well.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 11:48:32 PM by Old Negus » Logged
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2007, 02:12:10 AM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on February 22, 2007, 02:09:39 PM

Kevin Grey wrote:
GoW and Vegas I'm not too sure about- Gears should definitely be over 2 million sold now.

<edit>Gears of War broke 2 million on December 15th. It recently passed the three million mark.

I'm talking domestic (ie what NPD represents)- your figures are worldwide. 
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2007, 02:21:37 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on February 22, 2007, 02:08:05 PM

Thanks for the info-I think you are being a tad too preemptively negative though smile Even if the PS3 underwhelms and dissapoints us all in the longrun I think most of us hardcore gamers and PS2 fans will find enough to play on it by the end of its lifetime that we won't classify it as a debacle smile But yeah, I think Insomniac looks good no matter what with the stable of games they built up over last gen and this one. They are going to have some huge sellers.

At this stage, I think the PS3 sales are an absolute debacle.  Without any constraints on supply it shouldn't be selling less than 250k it's third month on the market.  For reference, that isn't much more than what Gamecube did it's third month on the market!  And PS3 sales are absolutely pitiful in it's home terriitory of Japan.  With the rate that the Wii is outselling it there I don't think it matters that it could potentially pick up once higher profile titles come out later because my gut tells me that Japanese dev houses are looking at what the DS has done and what the Wii is doing and are already actively switching over/starting projects for Nintendo.  Which leaves western dev houses for support but most of them are pretty focused on multi-platform titles with the 360 seeming to be the lead SKU of choice so that doesn't help Sony.  Maybe Europe will turn things around. 

I say all of this with my "impartial" sales analysis hat on.  Personally, Sony's first/second party stable of developers guarantees I'll have one by the end of this year if not sooner but I think it's January sales are an unmitigated disaster and I don't see Virtua Fighter 5 and Motorstorm changing those fortunes anytime soon.

icon_wink Tongue
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2007, 01:17:42 PM »

I don't want to look like I am picking on the PS3 with this post but I just put two and two together

Life to Date at the end of December:

687.3 K

January Sales:

Add those together and you are well short of the 1 million Units Sony said it shipped in the US by the end of Last Year. Of course things will pick up later, we know that, but I am with Kevin in saying that not getting a full sell through in your 90 day launch period is not a good start.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2007, 02:04:16 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on February 23, 2007, 02:21:37 AM

Quote from: Calvin on February 22, 2007, 02:08:05 PM

At this stage, I think the PS3 sales are an absolute debacle.  Without any constraints on supply it shouldn't be selling less than 250k it's third month on the market.  For reference, that isn't much more than what Gamecube did it's third month on the market!  And PS3 sales are absolutely pitiful in it's home terriitory of Japan.  With the rate that the Wii is outselling it there I don't think it matters that it could potentially pick up once higher profile titles come out later because my gut tells me that Japanese dev houses are looking at what the DS has done and what the Wii is doing and are already actively switching over/starting projects for Nintendo.  Which leaves western dev houses for support but most of them are pretty focused on multi-platform titles with the 360 seeming to be the lead SKU of choice so that doesn't help Sony.  Maybe Europe will turn things around. 

I say all of this with my "impartial" sales analysis hat on.  Personally, Sony's first/second party stable of developers guarantees I'll have one by the end of this year if not sooner but I think it's January sales are an unmitigated disaster and I don't see Virtua Fighter 5 and Motorstorm changing those fortunes anytime soon.

icon_wink Tongue

Well I hate it when your opinion makes more sense than mine, but it does. I still believe the PS3 will sell a ton of consoles in the next few years and will have premiere games and developer support, and I am super excited for the exclusives that we know are coming-the only thing I don't agree with you about is the Japanese developers mass jumping ship to the Wii/DS platform (but then again, you are frequently right about these things). Either way, a little more time will tell us some of what we might see in the future-we really need to see 2-3 more blockbuster exclusives released to see how they sell the system. For now I am content and happy with my purchase, even if its 50% a bluray player and PS2 upgrade. Its a great machine despite it all, and I look forward to the mass of games that I know will be coming. But yeah, ok, your argument is more convincing.  Tongue
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 23, 2007, 02:22:06 PM »

I don't think the PS3 is going to sell well until it's way cheaper. I personally want a PS3 way more than I want a 360, but I also want it to cost about half what it costs now before I'll consider it. ($300-$350 for the 60G model) Maybe if I begin to want a Blu-Ray player more, I'll reconsider my price point, but at this point I am indifferent to that feature of the PS3.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 23, 2007, 07:27:20 PM »

With my annual bonus hitting my direct deposit this week, I made a trip to my local BB on the way home last night to see if I could spot a Wii in the wild.  I found a 5 foot high stack of PS3's in the center of the main aisle, strategically placed so that you had to walk around the PS3 box tower to go into the Wii aisle.  I thought briefly about grabbing a PS3, but even with the bonus $ in hand, I couldn't stomach paying that much for a console.  I thought nearly $500 for the 360 was crazy at the time. 

I think Sony just completely missed the boat on the price point.  I probably would've picked one up if the price was closer to the 360.  I could care less about the Blue-Ray functionality.           
JSL

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2007, 07:53:30 PM »

I don't see Sony sales increasing dramatically from launching in Europe either, with the way they are screwing their customer base there. First the higher price & delay and now less than 100% backwards compatibility. Sega has just announced that they are moving their efforts away from PSP development to DS development as well. The funny thing is that it seems like no one at Sony even cares or notices, they just keep going on arrogantly.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 23, 2007, 07:58:00 PM »

Quote from: JSL on February 23, 2007, 07:53:30 PM

The funny thing is that it seems like no one at Sony even cares or notices, they just keep going on arrogantly.

Almost all of these missteps seem to be rooted in the console's development and they aren't easy fixes.  I'm sure that Sony would price it cheaper if they could but they flat out can't afford it and as awful as the BC switch for Europe is, I'm sure the root of it is that they will stand to save a lot of money by not putting in the old chips.   
deadzone

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2007, 08:19:48 PM »

The Wii numbers are amazing for the moment.  I think that the overall picture will become much clearer as time goes on.  Right now, the Wii is the hot item for sure.  I know I love my Wii Console!  smile

If "appeal to an amazingly wide and varied audience that includes nontraditional gamer types as well as even non-gaming types" has any bearing on how the console wars go down, I think the Wii has a valid shot at winning the console war overall.  When you factor in price, an included game, and the family appeal, it starts looking even better for the Wii.  The traditional things that normally matter like launch titles, game lineup, and so on, will have less impact on the Wii crowd in my humble opinion because of the fact that they are such a diversified group made up of many nontraditional types of gamers both new and old. 

Wii shall see I guess... smile
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: