http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 01:11:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jan Sales Numbers - Wii Wins!  (Read 3386 times)
Hetz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 21, 2007, 04:23:30 AM »

#1 Wii - 436,000
#2 360 - 294,000
#3 PS3 - 244,000

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601204&sid=aeP6KYaQ4o_k&refer=technology

Nintendo Wii Tops PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 in January (Update1)
By Michael White

Feb. 20 (Bloomberg) -- Nintendo Co.'s Wii outsold Sony Corp.'s PlayStation 3 and Microsoft Corp.'s Xbox 360 during January as consumers bought 436,000 of the video-game consoles.

Microsoft Corp.'s Xbox 360 was the second-most purchased machine with sales of 294,000, followed by PlayStation 3 with 244,000, Credit Suisse analyst Heath Terry said today in a report, citing NPD Group Inc. data.

Wii is outselling PlayStation 3 by almost 2-to-1, the report said. Consumers have been attracted to Wii's price, at half the cost of the least-expensive PlayStation 3, and a wireless controller that can be swung like a bat or tennis racquet during play.

Both Wii and PlayStation 3 were introduced in November as competitors to the Xbox 360, which was released in 2005. Wii's $250 price tag compares to $499 and $599 for the PlayStation 3. The Xbox 360 sells for $299 and $399.

Wii sales fell from 604,000 units in December, the smallest drop of the three consoles, Terry wrote. The Xbox 360 had the biggest decline, dropping from 1.13 million units while PlayStation 3 sales declined from 491,000.

PlayStation 3 includes a Blu-ray DVD player that allows users to watch movies in a high-definition format, in addition to playing games. Production snags with the player created supply problems during the holiday shopping season, forcing Sony to concede market share to Wii.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 04:26:03 AM »

What's even more amazing is that the PS2 sold 299,000 units...

Couple these numbers with Nintendo's Japan sales, where they are already approaching %50 of the Cube's install base numbers on the Wii, and they are outselling the PS3 almost 3 to 1, and you would think this would be good news for Nintendo. If nothing else it should get some more games for the system than the Cube got.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 04:30:20 AM »

Quote from: Tebunker on February 21, 2007, 04:26:03 AM

Couple these numbers with Nintendo's Japan sales, where they are already approaching %50 of the Cube's install base numbers on the Wii, and they are outselling the PS3 almost 3 to 1, and you would think this would be good news for Nintendo. If nothing else it should get some more games for the system than the Cube got.

Yeah, it's pretty incredible that the PS2 is still selling more than both the PS3 and 360. With God of War 2 out next month, the sales should stay high for awhile.

The Wii numbers are very good. The Wii looks like it may be the next DS, in terms of popularity and sales. As long as the games don't dry up, Nintendo could be on top again. Super Paper Mario looks great. smile

Congrats Nintendo.

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 04:35:48 AM »

In reality Nintendo really needs EA to hit it big over the next 3 months with all the games they are Wii-ifying. That 3rd party success would lay groundwork for other publishers to finally get some balls and take more chances.

Hopefully a pub like Gamecock will do things to shake up the industry. I just read an article on them in Game Informer, and I always had a soft spot for G.O.D, and had wished they had stayed private; but I think that they may show publishers it's okay to take more risks.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 05:17:12 AM »

Quote from: Tebunker on February 21, 2007, 04:26:03 AM

Yeah, at least as far as Japanese devs go I just don't see how they can ignore it.  Hopefully EA's stuff will do decently well and bring more western development on board. 

But for a first January that's pretty phenomenal.  For those who want to still attribute it to just the Nintendo "faithful"- the Cube's first January saw less than half of that number sold and they weren't really supply constrained. 
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2007, 05:40:06 AM »

Definitely nice #s for the Wii... not so much for the PS3 or the 360 though.

gellar
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2007, 05:48:10 AM »

Yes these are definitely good numbers, but not just for Nintendo. Even if you consider the 3rd place PS3's numbers, at just shy of a 1/4 million that still puts Sony on target to sell 3 million PS3's this year in NA alone!

If anything these numbers show that the video game market is strong enough now to easily support 3 consoles, something that just wasn't true of previous gen's; RIP DreamCast, TubroGFX, 3DO ... Then when you look at PS2 sales you can clearly see that we've got a market that's sustaining 4 consoles in a very healthy way.

I think the real question now is, what other manufacturer is going to enter the ring with the 4th console once the PS2's sailed into the sunset?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 06:07:45 AM by kronovan » Logged
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2007, 07:13:15 AM »

Quote from: kronovan on February 21, 2007, 05:48:10 AM

If anything these numbers show that the video game market is strong enough now to easily support 3 consoles,

This doesn't prove that at all. Its only the very beginning of the current gen. We won't know if its true for a couple of years worth of sales, and subsequent financial statements from the companies(mainly Sony and MS).
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2007, 07:21:11 AM »

I think the real question now is, what other manufacturer is going to enter the ring with the 4th console once the PS2's sailed into the sunset?

The Phantom?  icon_lol

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2007, 07:31:43 AM »

Interesting that the 360 outperformed the PS3 in January; I expect from here on out we're going to see the Wii slowly fall in sales, while whichever console has the most 'must-own' titles in a month will probably win that month.

I do think that the big EA sports games are going to bend the contest the 360's way, though.  You're going to have a lot of people in late summer looking to upgrade to a next-gen console for football, and the casual ones are probably going to go with the $400 360 and a second controller rather than the $500 PS3 (unless EA makes Madden look spectacularly better on the PS3).

Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2007, 07:35:30 AM »

Let's not jump to conclusions too fast.  The 360 install base is still huge in comparison to the other two systems and the Wii is going to need to consistently beat the 360 by way more than 150,000 units a month to catch up anytime soon.  If those numbers were to hold true the rest of the year we'd be entering holiday '07 with the Wii still trailing by 5 or 6 million units.  

I realize the Wii is still being held back by supply issues, but my point is that we still have a long way to go before we can start acting like the Wii has won.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2007, 08:03:59 AM »

Quote from: Jumangi on February 21, 2007, 07:13:15 AM

If anything these numbers show that the video game market is strong enough now to easily support 3 consoles,

This doesn't prove that at all. Its only the very beginning of the current gen. We won't know if its true for a couple of years worth of sales, and subsequent financial statements from the companies(mainly Sony and MS).

Yes,  I agree it's good to be conservative and error on the side of caution and yes it's only the beginning of this gen. But honestly you don't need a freaking degree in mathematics to remove the PS2 from the equation -as it eventually will- and redistribute it's numbers to whatever way your console bias desires, to see that it still spells healthy numbers for all 3 systems.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2007, 12:23:26 PM »

Quote from: gellar on February 21, 2007, 05:40:06 AM

gellar

Bravo to the Wii. IMO-its more likely not so good a drop for the 360-the PS3 is still in relatively short supply and with a dearth of games (not saying the Wii isn't-but that is clearly outperforming it right now)-but the precipitous drop in 360 sales is concerning.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2007, 12:38:22 PM »

Quote from: Clanwolfer on February 21, 2007, 07:31:43 AM

Interesting that the 360 outperformed the PS3 in January; I expect from here on out we're going to see the Wii slowly fall in sales, while whichever console has the most 'must-own' titles in a month will probably win that month.

Not happening. Demand for the Wii is still FAR in excess of supply, so at least for a while, you'd think sales would climb for a few months as supply increases. What happens after that? No idea.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2007, 01:24:10 PM »

Quote from: Sarkus on February 21, 2007, 07:35:30 AM

Let's not jump to conclusions too fast.  The 360 install base is still huge in comparison to the other two systems and the Wii is going to need to consistently beat the 360 by way more than 150,000 units a month to catch up anytime soon.  If those numbers were to hold true the rest of the year we'd be entering holiday '07 with the Wii still trailing by 5 or 6 million units. 

I realize the Wii is still being held back by supply issues, but my point is that we still have a long way to go before we can start acting like the Wii has won.

When People say the Wii will win, I believe most of them think in terms of Worlldwide Numbers, I know I do. North America will probably be the only area Nintendo trails it's competition in sales. The Wii is poised to break 2million units in the US and Japan by the middle of March, if not the end of this month. They will definitely hit their target 6 million units by the end of March, which is impressive. In 5 months they will have sold more than 25% the install base that the Cube gained in 5 years.

JCC

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2007, 01:29:13 PM »

The Wii is riding high for sure, but will it last? I am wallowing in Wii doldrums since it only has one AAA title.

Tiger comes out next month. If I were Nintendo I would partner with EA to pony up the dough to have an ad where Tiger and Jack Nicklaus are playing the Wii Tiger Woods game, laughing, and high fiving, and I would make sure it airs a ton on every Sunday during the final round of whatever tourney is on. If they really want 40 and 50 and 60 year old men to buy this thing, that's what I would do.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
warning

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2007, 01:33:41 PM »

Quote from: JCC on February 21, 2007, 01:29:13 PM

Tiger comes out next month. If I were Nintendo I would partner with EA to pony up the dough to have an ad where Tiger and Jack Nicklaus are playing the Wii Tiger Woods game, laughing, and high fiving, and I would make sure it airs a ton on every Sunday during the final round of whatever tourney is on. If they really want 40 and 50 and 60 year old men to buy this thing, that's what I would do.

That's really an awesome idea.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2007, 01:40:07 PM »

Quote from: warning on February 21, 2007, 01:33:41 PM

I think Tiger and Jack are a little out of Nintendo's price range.  icon_smile

The Nintendo zealots all bought Zelda but I think Wii Sports is the true killer app.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2007, 02:00:12 PM »

Quote from: warning on February 21, 2007, 01:33:41 PM

Unfortunately, Jack does not appear in Tiger games and has no agreement with EA-and he is not cheap. Secondly, Tiger is unlikely to appear in a specific platform commercial-he has not yet for his games.

Also-just in terms of golf, coming from someone who has played since he was a pre-teen, there is nothing swinging a 6 inch remote that makes me feel more inclined to play golf on console over the next-gen machines. It just doesn't create the feeling of a swing with a device so small.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2007, 02:01:21 PM »

Quote from: Tebunker on February 21, 2007, 01:24:10 PM

Let's not jump to conclusions too fast.  The 360 install base is still huge in comparison to the other two systems and the Wii is going to need to consistently beat the 360 by way more than 150,000 units a month to catch up anytime soon.  If those numbers were to hold true the rest of the year we'd be entering holiday '07 with the Wii still trailing by 5 or 6 million units. 

When People say the Wii will win, I believe most of them think in terms of Worlldwide Numbers, I know I do. North America will probably be the only area Nintendo trails it's competition in sales. The Wii is poised to break 2million units in the US and Japan by the middle of March, if not the end of this month. They will definitely hit their target 6 million units by the end of March, which is impressive. In 5 months they will have sold more than 25% the install base that the Cube gained in 5 years.

You really believe over the long run-4 or 5 years-that the Wii is going to outsell the PS3 in Japan? Once all the PS2-PS3 exclusives come out? I think you are underestimating their brand loyalty. It used to be for Nintendo for so many years, but I think it will prove strong with the PS3 as well (although losing DQ9 to the DS hurts BIG TIME).
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 02:32:11 PM by Calvin » Logged
warning

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2007, 02:30:43 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on February 21, 2007, 02:01:21 PM

You really believe over the long run-4 or 5 years-that the Wii is going to outsell the PS3 in Japan? Once all the PS2-PS3 exclusives come out? I think you are underestimating their brand loyalty. It used to be for Nintendo for so many years, but I think it will prove strong with the PS2 as well (although losing DQ9 to the DS hurts BIG TIME).

I wonder what the HDTV penetration is in Japan.  If they're slower to adopt HDTV than North America then I can't see much advantage to the PS3 for the Japanese given the price difference.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2007, 02:34:16 PM »

Quote from: warning on February 21, 2007, 02:30:43 PM

You really believe over the long run-4 or 5 years-that the Wii is going to outsell the PS3 in Japan? Once all the PS2-PS3 exclusives come out? I think you are underestimating their brand loyalty. It used to be for Nintendo for so many years, but I think it will prove strong with the PS2 as well (although losing DQ9 to the DS hurts BIG TIME).

I wonder what the HDTV penetration is in Japan.  If they're slower to adopt HDTV than North America then I can't see much advantage to the PS3 for the Japanese given the price difference.

I dont have any information on that unfortunately, but Japan is notorious for being a country that as a whole take pride in being early adopters of any and all technology. New cell phone models come out-they sell like hotcakes, new systems or home elctronics-they fly of the shelves. I would be surprised if HDTV's are not following at least a somewhat similar trend (although I agree with you that if they are not it might influence short term sales disparities). I still think in the long run, the PS3 brand loyalty and exclusive games will win out in Japan-and frankly in the US as well. I think Europ is the Wiis best shot at the #1 spot.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2007, 03:02:19 PM »

Scary, no? And with the Wii doing so well in Japan (along with the DS - it's just insane), I think they'll easily hit their goal. Especially when I see numbers like these come out of Japan every week (the news article isn't on the main site anymore, so I'm just posting numbers):

Japanese Hardware Sales from Feb 5 - Feb 11th:
- DS Lite: 201,177
- Wii: 78,550
- PSP: 32,175
- PS3: 23,431
- PS2: 16,033
- Xbox 360: 4,811

The DS Lite has outsold the GBA SP in Japan for overall numbers (something around 12 million consoles). It's just insane. And the Wii's weekly numbers of 80k units is something that's been holding for a few weeks now. Same with the PS3's low sales compared to it.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2007, 03:13:38 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on February 21, 2007, 12:23:26 PM

gellar

Bravo to the Wii. IMO-its more likely not so good a drop for the 360-the PS3 is still in relatively short supply and with a dearth of games (not saying the Wii isn't-but that is clearly outperforming it right now)-but the precipitous drop in 360 sales is concerning.

I must be the only person that looks at these numbers and thinks they ALL did well. How are those numbers "not so good" for the 360? It's the oldest kid on the block and in the first month where there were no supply issues with PS3 shortages, it did very well.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2007, 03:21:01 PM »

Quote from: jblank on February 21, 2007, 03:13:38 PM

gellar

I must be the only person that looks at these numbers and thinks they ALL did well. How are those numbers "not so good" for the 360? It's the oldest kid on the block and in the first month where there were no supply issues with PS3 shortages, it did very well.

"Not so good" only in terms of having the largest decline in sales from last reporting period to this one (of course this off having by far the best sales numbers last period)-only that. I don't believe for a second that longterm Wii sales will be any greater (if at all) than the two next gen consoles in the US-but the numbers for them this period are very impressive.
fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2007, 03:22:27 PM »

No, I agree with you in that they all did well (so many of us here are just often caught up in the head-to-head console wars). Now I want to see more data on the software sales for each of these platforms.

XBox Live ID: fyedaddy

"I give up - Go with the DS. It's far better."
"Nintendo is King, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong."
 --Devil
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2007, 03:28:16 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on February 21, 2007, 03:21:01 PM

gellar

"Not so good" only in terms of having the largest decline in sales from last reporting period to this one (of course this off having by far the best sales numbers last period)-only that. I don't believe for a second that longterm Wii sales will be any greater (if at all) than the two next gen consoles in the US-but the numbers for them this period are very impressive.

Eh, that could be attributed to more Wii's appearing on shelves, a lack of blockbuster titles, and the PS3 finally catching up with demand. I look at those numbers and I see 3 positives, I don't think any of the "big 3" have anything to worry about.

Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2007, 04:21:47 PM »

I look at those numbers and I see 3 positives, I don't think any of the "big 3" have anything to worry about.

Based on what the PS3 needs to do over its lifetime to be succesful(I'm talking financially here not just winning the "install base war")  this isn't near enough for them yet, They need to get up to what the Wii is doing and stay there.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2007, 04:28:01 PM »

i really think that the Wii will start to slow down,the games just arent there for it
and here is the list for 2007

http://kotaku.com/gaming/top/here-it-is-nintendos-japan-schedule-for-2007-238388.php

Fire Emblem February 22nd, One Player

Eyeshield 21: Field no Saikyou Senshi Tachi March 8th, One~Two Players

Super Paper Mario April 19th, One Player

Wii Brain Softening Game April 26th, One~EIght Players

Wii Health Pack Sometime 2007, Players TBA

Disaster, Sometime 2007, Players TBA

Mario Party 8, Sometime 2007, One~Four Players

Project H.A.M.M.E.R. Sometime 2007, Players TBA

Wii Music Sometime 2007, Players TBA

Super Mario Galaxy Sometime 2007, One Player

Super Smash Bros. Brawl Sometime 2007, Players TBA

Totsugeki Famicom Wars W Sometime 2007, Players TBA

Donkey Kong Taru Jet Race Sometime 2007, Players TBA

Forever Blue Sometime 2007, Players TBA

Mario Strikers Charged Sometime 2007, One~Four Players

Metroid Prime 3 Corruption Sometime 2007, One Player

Animal Corssing Release TBA, Players TBA

Hoshi no Kirby Release TBA, Players TBA

there are about 4 games here that interest me here for the whole of 2007,i am hoping some third party games make me look up and notice,but it still doesnt hide the fact that i only turn my Wii on once a week to check out the VC titles

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2007, 04:31:37 PM »

Quote from: jblank on February 21, 2007, 03:28:16 PM

Quote from: Calvin on February 21, 2007, 03:21:01 PM

gellar

Eh, that could be attributed to more Wii's appearing on shelves, a lack of blockbuster titles, and the PS3 finally catching up with demand. I look at those numbers and I see 3 positives, I don't think any of the "big 3" have anything to worry about.

Hehe, neither do I man smile That wasn't my point-just breaking down the numbers.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2007, 04:34:19 PM »

I don't think the Wii has to worry about games.  Even the 360's first year was somewhat slow on releases.  Even if it is slow for them there's a nice backlog of GC games that I haven't played yet, so at least I'll be OK  Tongue

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2007, 04:45:12 PM »

Quote from: Jumangi on February 21, 2007, 04:21:47 PM

I look at those numbers and I see 3 positives, I don't think any of the "big 3" have anything to worry about.

Based on what the PS3 needs to do over its lifetime to be succesful(I'm talking financially here not just winning the "install base war")  this isn't near enough for them yet, They need to get up to what the Wii is doing and stay there.

They will. The PS3 has done well for Blu-Ray and that is very important to Sony. They were in very grave danger up until the PS3 launch with how Blu-Ray was doing. That has got to be a big positive for them.

Once the games start coming down the pipe for it, the people will come. I'm impressed that they were able to sell that many with the price as high as it is still. I personally thought they would do much worse, with the numbers picking up around March, then another big shot up in Fall when lots of the really great games for the PS3 should be coming out.

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2007, 04:51:33 PM »

Well...if you saw my earlier post in this thread you would have seen that I agree with this. In fact the market right now is currently supporting 4 consoles with good sales; just look at the PS2 numbers. If anything close to these monthly numbers are maintained for the rest of the year, all 3 consoles will end up with healthy sales in NA.

Some might look at the drop in 360 numbers as not good based on the fact that it's a given that it's sales will be low in 1 of the largest markets; Japan. But the 360  has the strongest announced software line up for 2007, so I'd really expect it sales to spike at least in NA for quite a few months. And with interest in the PS3 rumored to be high in Europe; it's sales potential is looking healthy too. Also, those PS2 numbers are going to eventually redistribute to the other 3 consoles. Probably not this year but very likely next year.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2007, 05:36:11 PM »

I don't know that I agree with the PS2 numbers redistributing evenly.  A lot of people are looking at the consoles and seeing 400-600 dollars to just get a system.  Then there's the Wii at 250. 

People are willing to drop 130-150 dollars on a console with an immense library of games.  Not so sure that those same people will decide to spend three times as much, even a couple of years from now.  Of course if there are signifigant price drops that changes things.

The Wii is still posistioned well for price drops.  Even if the 360 comes down to 300, Nintendo could still drop well below 200.  Which has been an important point in a console's life in the past.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2007, 05:37:07 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 21, 2007, 04:34:19 PM

I don't think the Wii has to worry about games.  Even the 360's first year was somewhat slow on releases.  Even if it is slow for them there's a nice backlog of GC games that I haven't played yet, so at least I'll be OK  Tongue

Personally I am very worried about the Wii's lineup for 2007. None of the launch titles appealed to me very much either.  I am hoping Tiger Woods turns out well.  I have never used a new console so little as I have used the Wii in my first 2 months of ownership.  I have yet to actually play a single player game on it except for a few games of Madden.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2007, 07:29:46 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on February 21, 2007, 05:37:07 PM

Personally I am very worried about the Wii's lineup for 2007. None of the launch titles appealed to me very much either.  I am hoping Tiger Woods turns out well.  I have never used a new console so little as I have used the Wii in my first 2 months of ownership.  I have yet to actually play a single player game on it except for a few games of Madden.

This isn't a problem with the Wii's software titles, but is just an issue with your taste in games (not saying that taste is good or bad).  I have bought 8 Wii games since launch and there are plenty of titles I am interested in.  So, it isn't a problem with there being software, though I admit it has been slow lately (but every console has this issue after launch), but instead is just an issue that none of the games interest you.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2007, 07:36:04 PM »

You really believe over the long run-4 or 5 years-that the Wii is going to outsell the PS3 in Japan? Once all the PS2-PS3 exclusives come out? I think you are underestimating their brand loyalty. It used to be for Nintendo for so many years, but I think it will prove strong with the PS3 as well (although losing DQ9 to the DS hurts BIG TIME).

I never said anything about over the next 4 to 5 years. I have no idea where you even pulled that out of? All I said is that the Wii is outselling the PS3 at a current 3:1 and that they will hit their 6million worldwide by the end of March. Also, I have never gone out and said that the Wii will win, I was just pointing out why others may be saying that, and then pointing to the outrageously good Japan sales.

jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2007, 07:36:45 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on February 21, 2007, 04:51:33 PM

Well...if you saw my earlier post in this thread you would have seen that I agree with this. In fact the market right now is currently supporting 4 consoles with good sales; just look at the PS2 numbers. If anything close to these monthly numbers are maintained for the rest of the year, all 3 consoles will end up with healthy sales in NA.

Some might look at the drop in 360 numbers as not good based on the fact that it's a given that it's sales will be low in 1 of the largest markets; Japan. But the 360  has the strongest announced software line up for 2007, so I'd really expect it sales to spike at least in NA for quite a few months. And with interest in the PS3 rumored to be high in Europe; it's sales potential is looking healthy too. Also, those PS2 numbers are going to eventually redistribute to the other 3 consoles. Probably not this year but very likely next year.

Sorry about that, I must have missed your post. Apologies. thumbsup

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2007, 08:02:16 PM »

Quote from: Tebunker on February 21, 2007, 07:36:04 PM

I never said anything about over the next 4 to 5 years. I have no idea where you even pulled that out of? All I said is that the Wii is outselling the PS3 at a current 3:1 and that they will hit their 6million worldwide by the end of March. Also, I have never gone out and said that the Wii will win, I was just pointing out why others may be saying that, and then pointing to the outrageously good Japan sales.

Didn't pull it from anywhere-but when anyone references numbers in relation to a win, I always try to look at it with my eye to the long term numbers, hence my question about 4-5 years. smile
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2007, 08:08:36 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on February 21, 2007, 08:02:16 PM

Quote from: Tebunker on February 21, 2007, 07:36:04 PM

Didn't pull it from anywhere-but when anyone references numbers in relation to a win, I always try to look at it with my eye to the long term numbers, hence my question about 4-5 years. smile
Ah, I now understand where you are coming from oh wise lawyer man smile FIXED  icon_biggrin
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 08:48:13 PM by Tebunker » Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: