http://gamingtrend.com
July 10, 2014, 04:33:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jade Empire  (Read 3310 times)
Boxcar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: December 16, 2004, 05:09:54 AM »

Gamespot preview here

I try to minimize my exposure to previews but I've been looking forward to this one for a while, and have strongly been considering pre-ordering it (last time I pre-ordered a game was Diablo 2). The preview only strengthened my   yearning.

Seems like this one has been flying under the radar compared to the likes of Halo 2 and POP:WW.  

The preview said it was due in March 2005 which could be a good marketing move since the wave of Christmas releases will have passed and been played out by then.
Doopri
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2004, 06:13:04 AM »

One Ive def been keepin an eye on for a while now - and if i dont preview ill prob pick up day one.  i want this one to be good, and im pretty sure its gonna deliver - i know some dont but i really think bioware does incredible work.  plus i love the settin - i hope the combat is as interestin as it sounds like its gonna be!  sounds like there are gonna be some serious options / skill tree kinda things which i love.  did i mention there was kung fu and demons?!?!?! smile
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2004, 07:40:46 AM »

Jade Empire is competing with Dragon Quest 8 as my most anticipated game of 2005.  Every preview and screenshot I see only makes the game seem better and better.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2004, 09:15:43 AM »

I've played it. Its very, very fun combat wise. Plus they boast a lot of moves and stuff. Sounds like a fun game away from teh medeval type fantasy. Definitely pumped for it, I mean it is bioware afterall.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2004, 11:40:11 AM »

I got to sit down with Bioware at E3 for about an hour and a half to play Jade Empire, you should pre-order this game most definately.  Its going to be fantastic...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2004, 03:36:52 PM »

I will buy it the day it comes out but I can't see pre-ordering it.  There will be tons of copies at EB, Gamestop, Best Buy, Target, Wal-Mart etc.  Considering how often I see threads about how pre-ordered games don't ship on time or they ship at the same time as stores so stores have it the same day I just can't see the value in pre-ordering.

After watching the videos I will say you should buy it the day it comes out but considering the history of most places with screw-ups with pre-orders I would just plan for a long lunch on the day it comes out and go pick it up.

warning

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2004, 04:21:14 PM »

And it's apparently now coming to PC as well.  Sadly, it was one of the few reasons I considered purchasing an Xbox.
Boxcar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2004, 04:31:05 PM »

Quote from: "warning"
And it's apparently now coming to PC as well. Sadly, it was one of the few reasons I considered purchasing an Xbox.

That could change things for me. I'd always heard this was going to be an Xbox exclusive title. I didn't see any mention of a PC version on Bioware's Jade Empire website but I didn't look very hard. Where did you see this?

I much preferred KOTOR on the PC than I did on the Xbox -- mostly because of the interface and graphics. In fact, I'm waiting for the PC version of KOTOR II before buying it. If Jade Empire is coming to to the PC, too, then I may end up waiting for that version, too.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2004, 04:40:38 PM »

I'm cutting and pasting the news post from Neverwinter Vault:
BioWare Future Projects
Some press were at a BioWare function recently and were able to get some tidbits on what future projects are in the works. They include the cool news that Jade Empire will make it's way to the PC in either the summer or fall of 2005. Also it seems there will be a Jade Empire 2 and that the secret project they are working on is almost certainly a first person shooter RPG. Here's an excerpt on that:
In September, BioWare announced it had licensed Epic's Unreal 3 engine for use in its next RPG. At that time, everyone began speculating about the possibility of a first-person shooter RPG from one of the most respected developers in North America. During a briefing before the Jade Empire demo, BioWare fueled the flames of that speculation. When asked if BioWare would ever consider making a first-person shooter RPG, the response was, "It's inevitable." BioWare also noted the game was in development for PC and an unspecified next-gen console. While there's no guarantee BioWare's first next-gen RPG will be for Xbox 2, we'd say it's a solid bet.
Things are looking very promising for BioWare fans.

It's one of their news items for Tuesday the 14th.
Boxcar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2004, 06:38:10 PM »

Thanks. I've purposely avoided too much info regarding the game but it's good to know that it's coming to the PC.

Still, this is one of those games that I'm looking forward to so much that I may not wait until the PC version came out.

Decisions, decisions....
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2004, 07:15:00 PM »

Quote from: "farley2k"
I will buy it the day it comes out but I can't see pre-ordering it.  There will be tons of copies at EB, Gamestop, Best Buy, Target, Wal-Mart etc.  Considering how often I see threads about how pre-ordered games don't ship on time or they ship at the same time as stores so stores have it the same day I just can't see the value in pre-ordering.

Pre-order from the store itself. That's what I do. biggrin
I preorder to get the goodies; sometimes it's worth it.

In this case, JE is already pre-ordered for me. I'm not going to wait for the PC version; frankly I prefer playing on a 51" screen with fully realized Dolby 5.1. <shrug> each to their own, I guess.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2004, 07:22:50 PM »

Quote from: "Purge"
Pre-order from the store itself. That's what I do. biggrin
I preorder to get the goodies; sometimes it's worth it.

In this case, JE is already pre-ordered for me. I'm not going to wait for the PC version; frankly I prefer playing on a 51" screen with fully realized Dolby 5.1. <shrug> each to their own, I guess.

If it came with any goodies I would consider pre-ordering.  Other than that, every store will have it for -I am taking a psychic guess here - $49.99. So I don't see any reason to reward any particular store.  

I might if I had a store I liked better than others but I don't.  To me they are all the same.  

Actually I take that back, Best Buy has started asking for my phone number each time I buy something (and I don't think they want a date).  I don't like that.  So I guess all stores are not equal.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2005, 08:47:01 PM »

Yeah same here. extra stuff would make me preorder, but either way day one for me..day freaking one
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2005, 11:03:52 PM »

I'm with you all.  I am really excited for this game and what its going to do as far as improve from KOTOR.  I had trouble playing KOTOR and abstained from KOTOR II becasue I really think that Jade Empire is the next best thing to come along.  Day one here.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2005, 11:24:23 PM »

After being disappointed with KOTOR, especially in its lacklustre combat system, I'll be waiting for reviews on this one.  If the combat turns out to be fun, however, I imagine I'll grab this at some point when it comes out for the PC.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2005, 02:17:31 AM »

IN!

Waiting for LE to make his way in here to trash it... :wink:

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2005, 08:30:40 AM »

Quote from: "Devil"
IN!

Waiting for LE to make his way in here to trash it... :wink:

look up. One post. Seriously, do you even READ these messages, Devil? retard

Just kiddin'... looks like LE beat you to it. He starts off on a "KOTOR failed me" tone, and swings into the counterbalance of "well maybe if it can walk on water I might pick it up for the PC... maybe". slywink I enjoyed the combat system in KOTOR, and if this one's the same I would love it. Apparently it's a lot different, so there's some hope for people who didn't like the d20 turn-based combat.

The xbox flavor might sour it for LE, but I for one can't WAIT for this title to come out (console preferred).

KOTOR2 was a bigger disappointment to me than KOTOR (which I loved 110 hours worth of), due to the buggy nature of the game, coupled with a mardi gras worth of loose ends*. I respect Obsidian, they just didn't deliver the full package... same engine, worse performance over KOTOR, and way too many moments where you're going over and over the same conversation threads desperately trying to get someone to trigger the conversation piece needed that you've already discussed with another char. Worse yet is the forgetfulness of the characters.

I trust Bioware to get it right the first time; from what I understand I won't be regretting my pre-order. biggrin

*=see GGW volumes 1 through 48 (inclusive)

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2005, 09:20:55 AM »

Isn't the combat supposed to be like a fighting game?

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2005, 12:23:25 PM »

Quote from: "ElijahPrice"
I abstained from KOTOR II

You're missing out, baby!
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2005, 01:43:58 PM »

Quote from: "Purge"

Very much in agreement. Which is why I won't be playing it on my 19" TV.

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
DiamondDecision
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2005, 01:59:05 PM »

I have had it pre-ordered for months. Anything,,, ANYTHING Bioware does is an immediate purchase.
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2005, 06:32:11 PM »

Quote from: "ATB"
Quote from: "ElijahPrice"
I abstained from KOTOR II

You're missing out, baby!

I'm having enough trouble trying to keep up.  I have Ghost Recon 2 to play this weekend.  I still need to finish the last quarter of PoP:WW and then I need to get to the games I missed:

Ninja Gaiden, Chronicles of Riddick, HL2 when my roomate is done...I got enough.  KOTOR I pissed me off, I want better combat like JE is supposed to have.
wankerjr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2005, 08:31:43 PM »

Definitely waiting for the PC version on this one. I'm currently playing KOTOR for the first time as I'm trying to start going through my backlog of games and so far I love it.

Bioware games rock..well except for maybe NWN. I actually started to get bored of after finishing 2 chapters but I'll eventually go back and finish it.

How does this work again?
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2005, 10:53:34 PM »

From Me:
Waiting for LE to make his way in here to trash it...

From LE:

You can do better than that!!  :wink:

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2005, 11:47:21 PM »

From Me:
Waiting for LE to make his way in here to trash it...

From LE:

You can do better than that!!  :wink:

Oh, sorry, my bad.  slywink

Seriously, I don't have any problem with fighting-game or a beat-em-up buttonmasher-ish combat.  That'd actually be really cool.

If it's another pausable, real-time, no thanks your input really isn't needed unless everyone's dying combat model, though, I don't care a bit about the reviews, I won't be buying it.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2005, 01:36:05 AM »

Sorry but to me a roleplaying game isn't about how well I can mash buttons. I really don't want a fighting game engine in an RPG.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2005, 03:37:50 AM »

I'm agreeing with LE!!! :shock:

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2005, 07:21:04 AM »

I'm agreeing with LE!!! :shock:

Happened to me once too, Devil.

::Purge hands Devil a bar of soap and points to the sink::

Go. Wash. Now. The burning will subside in a few hours.

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2005, 06:51:51 PM »

Thanks, man, I feel better now!!

biggrin

ChrisGwinn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2005, 04:53:05 PM »

Quote from: "Arkon"
Sorry but to me a roleplaying game isn't about how well I can mash buttons. I really don't want a fighting game engine in an RPG.

For me, this is like peanut butter and chocolate.  I love good fighting games, and I love good RPGs.  On the other hand, I don't know that it'll be good fighting or a good RPG.
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2005, 08:07:21 PM »

I do not like fighting games, though I did rather enjoy beating the crap out of vamps in Buffy.  I'm keeping an open mind on the JE combat.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: