http://gamingtrend.com
April 20, 2014, 04:16:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jade Empire - Official Impressions  (Read 16441 times)
Bob
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 21, 2005, 04:04:39 PM »

Is there a reason to buy additional martial starter styles other than for looks? None of the starting martial styles do anything special, other than ending harmonic combos. And if you've spent training points at level up for your starter martial style, it seems kind of waste to buy another martial style. Am I missing anything here?

I might only be imagining this but I think you get more style points when you level up if you have more styles.

I know that each styles comes with a few style points when you buy it.  Ie. you are given 1 or 2 style points to spend when you aquire a style.
maggie-chow
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 21, 2005, 04:46:23 PM »

Is it verified that Obsidian will do Jade Empire 2?  If so, it should be more in line with what I would want to play.

I love parts of the story in JE, and the combat is good, it's just that so many things are a step backwards.  I would like to have an inventory, with armor, items, and weapons (not centered on a style).  KOTOR 2 had tons more items than KOTOR.  I would like complicated motives and dialogue like in KOTOR 2.

$2000 for Tho Fan ... sounds about right.  Probably just gave them a set of 100 or 200 phonetic phrases to mix up.  Translating everything into Chinese would have been much more expensive, granted.  And it would have conflicted with their "lofty goal" of not tying themselves to historical elements (while making a game about Chinese mythology, customs, dress, and culture).

"I spill my drink!"    [Currently playing: Civ IV (PC), Romance of the Three Kingdoms X (PS2)]
ingrin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 21, 2005, 05:46:06 PM »

Quote from: "maggie-chow"
Is it verified that Obsidian will do Jade Empire 2?  If so, it should be more in line with what I would want to play.

No sorry, that was just my wish, I haven't heard anythig abou that becoming a reality.
I like the inventory system just fine, I think it fits the setting and nature of the game, as does the lack of weapons and armor.  Better pacing and writing (well, consistantly better writing, I like to imagine that there is a singe writer at Bioware responsible for all the quests I hate, like Baker Bei and the crime scene investigation on Dantooine) is all I feel is lacking.

Story did pickup again, hopefully it keeps this pace for the rest of the game.  I think each new section has a lull in the beginning as you get your bearings...
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 21, 2005, 06:25:10 PM »

I'm about 16 hours into the game, and while the pacing does get better as far as action vs. reading/listening to dialogue is concerned, it's still clearly an rpg, and not an action game.  At this point, if it's not dialogue concerning my party members or the main plot line, I tend to just fly through it or skip it.  I'm sure I'm missing some good backstory and fluff dialogue, but it's becoming a little tiresome for me.  I do appreciate Bioware's effort to include all of the scrolls, history, and spoken dialogue, I just tend to lose interest if that's all I'm doing for an hour.  

Btw, if you thought the combat was too easy, wait until you get to the imperial city and fight through all of the arena matches.  Single human foes are not too tough, but wait until the final matches :twisted:

Any tips for fighting demons in general?  Magic and support styles don't normally work against them, the A+X martial style doesn't work against some of them, leaving only martial and weapon styles.  

Any tips for fighting golems?  The ones I've fought are immune to martial attacks, magic, and most status effects from support styles.  Once I run out of focus fighting golems, the only way I've been able to kill them is by using spirit thief in chi mode, which takes forever.
JeffG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 21, 2005, 06:27:57 PM »

Quote from: "maggie-chow"

I love parts of the story in JE, and the combat is good, it's just that so many things are a step backwards.  I would like to have an inventory, with armor, items, and weapons (not centered on a style).  KOTOR 2 had tons more items than KOTOR.  I would like complicated motives and dialogue like in KOTOR 2.

$2000 for Tho Fan ... sounds about right.  Probably just gave them a set of 100 or 200 phonetic phrases to mix up.  Translating everything into Chinese would have been much more expensive, granted.  And it would have conflicted with their "lofty goal" of not tying themselves to historical elements (while making a game about Chinese mythology, customs, dress, and culture).

Sorry, but I like the fact that I don't have to spend hours and hours managing an inventory and playing 'paper-doll.'  Huge step forward to me.  Next thing I'd like to see quashed is the dialogue trees.
AttAdude
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 21, 2005, 07:13:21 PM »

Quote from: "Roguetad"

Btw, if you thought the combat was too easy, wait until you get to the imperial city and fight through all of the arena matches.  Single human foes are not too tough, but wait until the final matches :twisted:

Any tips for fighting demons in general?  Magic and support styles don't normally work against them, the A+X martial style doesn't work against some of them, leaving only martial and weapon styles.  

Any tips for fighting golems?  The ones I've fought are immune to martial attacks, magic, and most status effects from support styles.  Once I run out of focus fighting golems, the only way I've been able to kill them is by using spirit thief in chi mode, which takes forever.

Demons and golems are what makse you work on your focus and pool and the chi costs for weapons.  The good thing about demons is they tend to be big and because of this they generaly only appear in large combat areas.  This is where i pull out my baby mirrabelle and introduce the spawn of hell to a little thing i like to call gun powder.  After all its not like you wanna be close to those nasties anyway.  Same thing goes for goelms pretty much.  use your weapons. and stay away from em.  those golem attacks are nasty.   Generaly tho its very hard to give tips on how to fight them, because different types of golems and demons do different things.  Im sure based on your arena comment you already know the difference between and elephant demon and a toad demon.

That arena comment was aimed at the last qualifier for the championchip fight right?  That was one hard ass fight.  i actualy had to do that one 3 times before i won.

By the way just for comparisons sake, i like the conversations, the story, and the conversation options.  I thought the baker bei quest was very light hearted and funny in the face of such a grave main quest.  I appreciated it for the small funny distraction i thought it was ment to be.  I say this only so that this style of gameplay is not counted as a mistake, for people like me, this is exactaly what we want.

AttA
ChrisGwinn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 21, 2005, 08:00:47 PM »

Which one was the Baker Bei quest?  Was that the whole fiance/jealous criminal/find a husband series?
ingrin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 21, 2005, 08:35:01 PM »

Quote from: "ChrisGwinn"
Which one was the Baker Bei quest?  Was that the whole fiance/jealous criminal/find a husband series?

Yes, but my annoyance is solely with the setup part (fiance/jealous criminal).  The find the husband part is fine, it was just implausable storytelling to get to that point.  No adult thinks that way nor acts that way.  Thats just my opinion though...
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 21, 2005, 08:59:26 PM »

Quote from: "AttAdude"
That arena comment was aimed at the last qualifier for the championchip fight right?  That was one hard ass fight.  i actualy had to do that one 3 times before i won.

Exactly.  It only took you 3 tries?  It took me about 5 attempts, very tough fight.  The humans weren't too bad, but throwing in the demons, that's what made it tough.  That little monkey-looking guy (1 of the 3 brothers) can drop your health in seconds if you're not paying attention.  That fight, plus the one just after, made me realize that trying to scrap with demons in melee range is a bad idea.  Horse demons and their damn damage shields!   Better just to blow them away.  I'm glad I picked up maribelle too, although I would've loved to have Sky with me to regen focus.  

By the way just for comparisons sake, i like the conversations, the story, and the conversation options.  I thought the baker bei quest was very light hearted and funny in the face of such a grave main quest.  I appreciated it for the small funny distraction i thought it was ment to be.  I say this only so that this style of gameplay is not counted as a mistake, for people like me, this is exactaly what we want.

I think Bioware did the best they could to try and cater to all types of players.  At least I can just skip through dialogue when I don't want to read it, and I'm not forced to read it.  A quick example: In the debate part of the Sir Bastard quest, I didn't even bother to walk around and talk to all of the judges, I just started the quest and winged it.  It took me all the way to the 6th question, but I was still able to get a majority vote by mixing up the answer types.  I loved his dialogue, but it was late, and I didn't want to read through all of the different judge dialogue too.  At least for the dialogue impatient like me, I can still complete quests like that.
AttAdude
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 21, 2005, 09:55:47 PM »

roguetad

For me it was not the monkey guy it was a combination of that damn elephant demon and that guy with the 2 swords.  Man i hated that dude, he tore me to pieces on more than one occasion.  I dont think the monkey guy ever hit me.  I tagged him as the weakest (guess i was wrong) and i used my focus on him and the mage.  i just jumped behind went slowmo and kicked the shit out of both of em, before thier help could get to me.  Of course i was then out of focus so i had to avoid 2 swords guy while i alternatly knocked the elephant around and drained the sword wielder for chi.  

Did you ever try out white demon with paralyzing palm?  For it to be an effective combo you have too up the speed on demon and up the duration of palm.  Once you get it right, its almost unfair.

AttA
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 22, 2005, 06:41:26 AM »

Anyone getting some long pauses during certain conversation options, like the game is taking a little while to load the appropriate response?  

Hopefully its not an indication of impending failure of my Xbox DVD drive.
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 22, 2005, 10:07:34 PM »

My thoughts on Demons:
In the early game I focused on training my longsword, so demons have never been a problem for me.  I usually just flip around the fight for a bit until they leave and opening and then jump over to them, get in a solid hit, then flip over them and land another... rinse, repeat.

The big ones that are slow are particularly prone to this as they take a bit to turn around.  You can really just flip circles around them.

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
AJ McClain
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 23, 2005, 01:32:46 AM »

I finished JE last night. Awesome game. A few quick thoughts:

The graphics and animation are very fluid. It's the very first thing I noticed about the game. The voice acting never dipped into sub-par quality, either.

The story was intriguing. While "the Chosen One" theme is a bit cliche, I was really drawn into the Jade Empire world from the moment I first spoke with Master Li. However, after being bitchslapped by the plot twist in KOTOR I was constantly expecting something unexpected to happen in JE. Sort of like watching an M. Night Shyamalan where I get the feeling that theres more to what I'm seeing than I'm getting.

I really like that Bioware gives the player the option to be evil in much more than a superficial manner, too. Some of the things I've had my Closed Fist character do in this game makes the bad things I've done in other RPGs (particularly Fable) seem....silly and childish. There were several instances, mainly near the end of the game, where I was given pause by the sheer nefariousness of a particular act I'd just committed.

Sir Roderick Ponce von Fontlebottom the Magnificent Bastard (just typing his name gives me the chuckles), Kang the Mad, and Qui the Promoter had me rolling with laughter. Good bit of humor, those three.  

One of my few gripes about JE: I was a bit disappointed by how limited the fighting styles are. I would have preferred a few less styles in exchange for more developed ones. Quality over quantity, I guess. Seeing the same three or four moves repeated within one style gets a bit old after the 10th hour, imo. It's a minor gripe, though. Switching between martial and weapon styles during combos mitigates this.

Despite having put hours and hours into the game, it was only yesterday that I noticed that my character's expression changed while choosing dialogue responses. Ha, pretty nifty.

Gamertag: Sin Mordai
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 23, 2005, 01:33:16 AM »

Did you ever try out white demon with paralyzing palm?  For it to be an effective combo you have too up the speed on demon and up the duration of palm.  Once you get it right, its almost unfair.

I was using that combo last night, PP + white demon (speed & damage maxed), and it was oh so sweet.  I have duration maxed on PP and start with the 3 hit combo to stun, power attack to trigger HC (if enemy is vulnerable to HCs), white demon power attack (enemy is now petrified!), and then 1 more normal hit will explode the enemy.  If the target isn't vulnerable to HCs, I'll start with 3 hit PP, white demon x3, tiger style x3, PPx3 and repeat until dead.  

PP HCs drop either a chi or unblockable power up.

If you want to see carnage, try chaining back and forth between the twin axe style and white demon.  The twin axe style can hit enemies near the targeted enemy during the 3 hit combo.  It's a slower WS than dual sabers, but it seems to do a lot more damage (even compared to the artifact dual sabers).  

The further I get into the game (18 hours now) the better the combat gets.  The romance love triangle is getting pretty heated too…great character development.
AJ McClain
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 23, 2005, 01:37:44 AM »

Quote from: "Roguetad"
The romance love triangle is getting pretty heated too…great character development.

Wow. I haven't seen anything of a love triangle (I finished the game with a female character). I'm looking forward to replaying JE even more.

Gamertag: Sin Mordai
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 23, 2005, 02:14:29 AM »

Quote from: "AJ McClain"
I really like that Bioware gives the player the option to be evil in much more than a superficial manner, too.

This would be one of my bigger disappoints with JE.  Just entering Chapter 3 and the evil options have all been way too obvious- nothing sly or devious about them.  I'm playing Open-Palm so its fine for now but I haven't seen anything of significant replay value yet.  

In fact the lack of options that seem to truly adhere to the Closed-Fist philosophy vice being outright evil is a huge missed opportunity.  

The good options have been too goody-goody for me too.  I'd prefer a character thats closer to the middle of the scale but still overall good but the game (and KOTOR before it) doesn't give enough options for that.  Try as I might I always end up pretty much angelic by the end.  KOTOR 2 was the only one I thought gave realistically credible "gray" choices that weren't outright evil or good.  

The writing (usually a Bioware highpoint)has been a major let down so far.  Here's hoping that Jade Empire improves on this in Chapter 3 and beyond.
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 23, 2005, 03:07:23 PM »

Quick question on upgrading styles:  I am starting Ch. 2.  Should I put anything into Heavenly Wave, or should I save the points and wait until I get a better support style?  

I am playing the bonus monk with the spade staff as the weapon and Legendary Strike as the martial style.  So far I have just put a few points into my weapon and into Leg. Strike, since I use those the most.

And actually, same question with Leg. Strike: Should I continue enhancing it, or try to wait until I get another martial style later?  Or will I get enough points as I progress that it won't matter?

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 23, 2005, 06:24:33 PM »

Well it is with great sadness that I've decided to trade in Jade Empire this afternoon for Digital Devil Saga.  I'm approx 14 hours in, right in the middle of Chapter 3, and I'm bored silly.  

The sub-quests have been awful in my opinion.  Retreads of previous Bioware subquests with little originality.  They were a breath of fresh air back then but don't hold up on replay.

I don't care for the vast majority of my party.  The Black Whirlwind and the Henpecked guy are amusing I suppose.  I do like Silk Fox but thats about it.  

Combat is actually a highlight for me but not enough to carry me through the rest of the game.  

I'm also disappointed at the use of the setting  or lack therof.  I imagine it gets better in the last half of the game but so far the only section that didn't feel like it could be transplanted wholesale into a D&D game was the Forest Quest in Tien's Landing which, uncoincidentally, was the high point of the game for me.  

I've elaborated before on how poor I think good and evil options are implemented and it still hadn't improved.  

It also doesn't help I'm getting massive glitches which I think are the result of my Xbox (I have an original Thompson).  I can't even speak to the Blacksmith in the Imperial City without the disk freezing up altogether.
ingrin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 23, 2005, 07:39:14 PM »

You aren't that far from the end, less than 5 hours I bet.  Once you get into the ranks with the Lotus assassins, things speed up considerably.  After you complete that section, the rest of the chapters have none of the tedious sidequests present in the first part, its pretty much combat and exposition the rest of the way.  I really appreciated this as I thought it helped improve the earlier pacing issues.  However, Sidequest lovers and people who claim to play Bioware games "The way they were meant to be played" (translation, squeezed every bit of twilight gameplay out of the game as possible) probably were disappointed.  With the exception of a villian in Dirge that came out of left field, was built up as a huge challenge, and wound up being nothing, I enjoyed the last 4 chapters much more than the first 3.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 23, 2005, 07:44:48 PM »

You aren't that far from the end, less than 5 hours I bet. Once you get into the ranks with the Lotus assassins, things speed up considerably. After you complete that section, the rest of the chapters have none of the tedious sidequests present in the first part, its pretty much combat and exposition the rest of the way

Yeah, my original plan was to power through but I got right in the middle of the Lotus Assassin HQ and decided I just didn't care about the story at all.  I guess part of it is that I'm pretty sure I know what the big twist is thanks to a spoiler over on QT3, even if I don't know why it occurs, and that has taken a lot of the tension out of the game for me.

We'll see.  I've got a real hankering to play DDS so I'll have to see how much of a trade-in I can get for three other, much older games, to see if its worth my while to keep Jade Empire a few more days.
ingrin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 23, 2005, 08:09:04 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"

Yeah, my original plan was to power through but I got right in the middle of the Lotus Assassin HQ and decided I just didn't care about the story at all.  I guess part of it is that I'm pretty sure I know what the big twist is thanks to a spoiler over on QT3, even if I don't know why it occurs, and that has taken a lot of the tension out of the game for me.

If you are already in the HQ, then your sidequest nightmare is about to come to an end.  Like you, I had the primary twist spoiled for me on a messageboard (This happened to me for KOTOR and KOTORII as well), however, I had already kinda predicted that twist and a couple other obvious ones.  Still, it did play out well at the end.

I was in your boat at the Arena (kinda, I figured I would try to trade it in after I completed it to Blockbuster, since they gave me $35 for Fable a month and a half after I bought it).  Instead, I found myself starting another game when I finished.  Even though KOTOR II is probably my fovorite Bioware engined game, it didn't make me want to play through it again on Dark (mainly because the ending was so weak).

If you were a real-time combat hater or a person who loves having a billion inventory items to juggle and what not, I would say go ahead and return it, but I suspect you *might* find keeping the game another day or two worth while.  I completed the game in one sitting from where you are now.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 23, 2005, 08:54:12 PM »

Ah, its too late.  Gamespot gave me $35 for the game.  Considering I only paid $36.99 (plus tax) for it in the first place, I couldn't pass it up.  

Quote from: "ingrin"
Even though KOTOR II is probably my fovorite Bioware engined game, it didn't make me want to play through it again on Dark (mainly because the ending was so weak).

You know, I think KOTOR 2 might be part of the problem.  I just played through it less than two months ago so I might be burned out on this style of game.  Plus, KOTOR 2 was so much better written than Jade Empire it isn't even funny.  KOTOR 2 was probably the closest I've ever come to feeling like I was having actual conversations in a game where there was almost always something that fit my character and would cause the other character to respond appropriately.  In JE almost every conversation option was nauseatingly sympathetic or over the top rude.

I was in your boat at the Arena (kinda, I figured I would try to trade it in after I completed it to Blockbuster, since they gave me $35 for Fable a month and a half after I bought it).

Heh, I skipped the arena almost entirely.  After reading about the loading time nightmare that segment was I went with the "Inquisitor Route."

We'll see- maybe I'll have a desire to come back to Jade Empire some time down the road.  Knowing that I'm so close to the end I might even rent it in a week or two just to finish it off.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 23, 2005, 10:41:17 PM »

Quote from: "Freezer-TPF-"
Quick question on upgrading styles:  I am starting Ch. 2.  Should I put anything into Heavenly Wave, or should I save the points and wait until I get a better support style?

It really doesn't matter, but I'd recommend maxing out 1 martial style, 1 weapon style, 1 magic style, and the duration effects for 1 support style.  By the end of the game you'll have enough points to do all of the above, and have points to train up another 2-3 styles.  

Heavenly Wave is a great support style that I relied on heavily for triggering HCs until the latter part of the game.  Storm Dragon and Paralyzing Palm are both excellent support styles.  Storm Dragon you can get relatively early in the game, and works very well against a single target to keep them incapacitated for several seconds while you pummel them.  Paralyzing Palm is received through a quest series at the Black Leopard School off the Imperial City.  PP is a very good support style against almost all foes (it works against all humans and most spirits).  It's almost overpowering when you consider that a PP user can lockdown boss characters for the entire fight by timely use of PP and a WS or martial style. To answer your question though, the only support style I spent training points in was PP, and that was just to max out the duration.

It's nice being able to switch between multiple martial styles, or a couple of weapon styles, but you don't need them.  If you just max out LS, 1 magic style, a weapon style (I'd recommend waiting until you get dual sabers or twin axes to do this) and 1 support style, you'll be in great shape.  As far as the weapon styles are concerned, since you can't get dual sabers or twin axes styles until later in the game, I'd suggest maxing out the focus cost reduction on your staff.

If you have a martial style damage option, a magic damage option, a weapon style damage option, and a support style you like, you'll be in great shape. The only martial style that I would absolutely train up the chi damage option for would be thousand cuts, since that is the least damaging style, and each hit would benefit from the chi strikes.  

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
In fact the lack of options that seem to truly adhere to the Closed-Fist philosophy vice being outright evil is a huge missed opportunity.

Agreed.  The way of the closed fist, as it is explained in Twin Rivers, is not necessarily by definition evil.  According to the game lore, the closed fist path is based on personal strength and encouraging others to find their own strength.  The best western comparison that came to mind for me was "tough love".  Unfortunately, there are very few decision paths in the game that offer choices outside of good vs evil.  I originally wanted to play a closed first character following the philosophy outlined at Twin Rivers, without being evil.  There's absolutely no way to make progress far into the closed fist meter without choosing most of the evil options.  I thought initially that Bioware had created an alignment system not based on good vs evil or even tied to morality, but in the end, that's exactly how it works.  It seemed almost like the writers either didn't have the creativity to develop more solutions that were in keeping with the closed fist philosophy, or they took the easy way out and reverted back to the old good vs evil system.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 25, 2005, 01:51:38 AM »

I finished tonight, great game.  The pacing and story get A LOT better after the Lotus Assassin Fortress.  Character level - 22; total hours: 24.  

Bioware did a good job of resolving all of the sub and main plot lines.  

If you finish the game, make sure you sit through all the credits!  There's a very funny running commentary by Dawn Star and Segacious Zu.  Some of the Segacious Zu comments are hilarious.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 25, 2005, 03:25:48 AM »

I'm about three hours in, and this is the first Bioware game I just don't like.  The combat does nothing for me.  I really wished it was more arcade like, or more turn based.   I'm really having trouble getting into the setting to.  Not sure if I'll keep at it or sell it on eBay at this point and just wait for Forza.  Pretty big disappointment though, as I love everything Bioware has done up to this point.  As others have mentioned, it just feels so recylced to me.  All the same basic quests, dialogue, etc.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: April 25, 2005, 12:46:58 PM »

Jade Empire,
I am finally coming to grips with the game. I hate the combat. HATE it. I don't find it hard, just annoying much like a chinese water torture.. only digital. I think I only lost once. If only the combat was like a true fighter or like Knights of the Old Republic. Those were fun. Anyways, what I'm doing now is I play the game, when I get to a fighting part, I pause the game and then call my 5 year old to come and play the battle. The game is rated M but I don't find anything mature in the fighting part. Its all in the story and he isn't isn't in that part. He comes in, plays the fighting part (which he loves), gives the game back to me and goes off to play Lego Star Wars on my computer. Its a win win!

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: April 25, 2005, 01:06:40 PM »

Jade Empire,
I am finally coming to grips with the game. I hate the combat. HATE it. I don't find it hard, just annoying much like a chinese water torture.. only digital. I think I only lost once. If only the combat was like a true fighter or like Knights of the Old Republic. Those were fun. Anyways, what I'm doing now is I play the game, when I get to a fighting part, I pause the game and then call my 5 year old to come and play the battle. The game is rated M but I don't find anything mature in the fighting part. Its all in the story and he isn't isn't in that part. He comes in, plays the fighting part (which he loves), gives the game back to me and goes off to play Lego Star Wars on my computer. Its a win win!

Now that is a strategy!  When you 'select' your kid does he yell out "Substitute fighter!" or something suitable like that?

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 25, 2005, 10:02:09 PM »

Well, so far this is the first Bioware game that has grabbed my by the balls and kept going like a hooker who just found a John with an unlimited expense account.  NWN?  never got past chapter 2.  KotOR, played it, loved it, damn thing sat on my HD for 7 months before I actually got into it.  Ditto for BG2, never did get past Chapter 2 of the original BG.  I know, Jade Empire is linear as hell but I actually look forward to the combat.  I would love to see the next KotOR do combat Jade Empire style  :shock:

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: April 26, 2005, 01:03:43 AM »

If they make a KOTOR, or hell any rpg, with the Jade Empire combat I think it will be time to get our tortches and pitchforks and invade canada

Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: July 08, 2005, 12:45:46 PM »

I just picked it up yesterday and love the combat system.  It's a great balance to all the text reading.  In KOTOR I would get totally bored with side quests when I just wanted to fight, so it's great to see a game with this much detail in its story also let you get physical in a satisfying way.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 08, 2005, 01:50:41 PM »

The combat is the only thing I like about JE.  JE was the final game I started playing before my current 9 week apathy toward all things gaming.

Coincidence?
The Rocketman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 08, 2005, 01:55:10 PM »

It's odd. Some people love it, others hate it.

I loved KOTOR, but I'm bored stiff playing JE. The dialogue and quests, so dull and boring! The combat... fun, on hard difficulty.

I stopped playing about a month ago, after I had to solve a conflict in a boathouse between a tough woman and an engaged man who was getting beaten up by her gang. I couldn't believe this quest, how easy and utterly attrocious it was!

And that teahouse-quest, where you return the teahouse back to its rightful owner, the old lady... So incredibly boring!

I'll get back to it later I hope, but so far, this is a horrible and bad example of Bioware by-the-book.

Too bad, I liked the beginning part, and the setting.
Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: July 08, 2005, 03:08:05 PM »

That's funny Rocketman -- I feel the same way about parts of KOTOR.  Like the whole trial subquest where you have to gather evidence.  What I thought was supposed to be a fiarly quick quest turned out to be so lng that I haven't really cared about finishing the game.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 08, 2005, 03:14:01 PM »

I'm only a little ways into it, and already I'm bored. I may go back to it this weekend, but I'll make sure the stack of DVDs I have is near-by just in case for a little pick-me-up. smile

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
The Rocketman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 09, 2005, 09:58:03 AM »

Driver, you are quite correct about the trial quest. But it actually included some investigating, and by the time I had grown to like my character a lot, so I was willing to forgive these sort of quests.

Also, the pacing seemed a lot better in KOTOR. There were bad quests (like the trial), but there was also really cool stuff in between them. In Jade Empire, it's like fight-fight-fight, talk-talk-talk-talk-talk, fight etc.

And the talking is soooo bad. Not for the main characters like Master Lee, but for the generic farmer/man/woman in need of help. And I looked forward to this game for 2 years frown
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 09, 2005, 10:50:56 AM »

The trial quest on Manaan was one of my favorite moments in KoTOR.  I loved the moral dilemma set up when you finally learned the truth.  I thought about my final choice for quite awhile, more because it was an interesting choice than for what I was going to get game-wise.

I'm loving Jade Empire.  It seems too much like KoTOR at first, but after leaving the first town, the game world really starts to show its uniqueness.  It's also, at times, a very beautiful game - from the serenity of the sunset in Tien's Landing to the creepiness of the forest.  It's a big step up from the mostly bland visuals of KoTOR.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 09, 2005, 05:20:01 PM »

I started JE the week after it came out. I got about 10 hours into it and stopped playing. THere were many reasons-I was seriously burning out on gaming right when I started, I was taking tests at the time and had family visiting and had limited time to play. For me, the latter is really the killer-I like to play RPG's where each play session is a MINIMUM of 2 solid hours, preferably 4-5. I really think, in all my 15-20 years playing PC and Console RPGs that the absolute best experiences with the genre comes when you allow yourself to get totally wrapped up in the story, attached to the characters, and desperately wanting to see what happens next. The longer you play in each setting, the more likely the real "role-playing" elements are to come out. Either way, I got too distracted and put JE on the shelf until I got out of my gaming slump. Well, BF2 and some other games have brought me out of my slump, and though I put JE back in the XBox, its coming back out. I take the bar in about 17 days, after that I am taking two weeks off before moving and work. Why rush it? I am going to sit down and love every minute of the end of the game when I am done with the bar. Hell, I may start over with the same character and all just to get the story grooving smile
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: