http://gamingtrend.com
August 21, 2014, 04:28:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jade Empire - Official Impressions  (Read 16638 times)
AgtFox
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: April 13, 2005, 07:42:27 PM »

For Lockdown (bottom of this thread page).

Put your impressions of Jade Empire in here.  Let's try to stay off the comparing of other games to it.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Ranulf
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2005, 07:52:09 PM »

Bump.. no impressions because I'm on the fence waiting for some gamer views before I buy and that no actual talk about the game is allowed until page 2.  smile
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2005, 07:59:30 PM »

Well, if people are hard up for impressions here are some taken from another website (Repeat: these are not my opinions, so don't flame me)
-----------------------------------------

So Jade Empire...another BioWare game. Yeah. After playing the OXM "demo" I was really disappointed. The game just felt sluggish and "wrong". I played it a couple times, maybe I am nuts, but still, it felt awful.

On to the full version. Picked up the LE last night, popped it in the good ole XBOX. It loaded, made my character and started up. The game looks pretty. Unfortunately the frame-rate seems to jump between 4 and 30. Im pretty sure the game is using the KOTOR II engine. That game was awful with frames too, but this seems to manage it better. The game throws you right into combat. No fuss or muss, just straight up ass wooping. UGH. That same combat feel came back. Slow, unresponsive controls, slow combat, just feels WRONG. The melee combat in KOTOR felt fast and respnsive. So what went wrong? I realized this is a turn-based combat game almost. There is a slight delay between rounds of attacks. It's not a turn-based game but thats what I can compare it too. Once I leveled up a couple times and put some points into the skills and decreased the time for attacks and it got better.

Story:
The game seems to rip right off of KOTOR. The feel, quests, story, just OOOOZE KOTOR. This is DEFINITELY not a bad thing, but I just wish BioWare would change it up. It feels like im playing a KOTOR Total Conversion done by a mod team :/. The beginning of the game moves so slow. The advancing of quests/areas was almost annoying. The story is sweet though, they give you A LOT of backstory about what's going on and the path you should take. BioWare also put in the Open Fist (Light Side) / Closed Fist (Dark Side) abilities. The way you handle yourself in the world sway it to one side or the other. Of course I am going towards the Sith Closed Fist. You can Charm, Intimidate, Persuade people during conversations just like in KOTOR. The in-game movies and cutscenes are wonderful though. They actually add to the feel of the game.

Graphics:
The game is gorgeous. The environments around the world are well done. They feel a lot more authentic than KOTOR levels. I feel like im playing in this old-world Asia game. The framerate dips constantly but it doesnt affect the gameplay (yet).

Controls/Gameplay:
While the controls feel sluggish, it seems to pick up the pace when you put points into the styles. Lowering the attack time helps it a lot. Changing between styles in combat is extremely fluid and you can link up combos that boost your hp, make attacks unblockable, gain Chi back, slow enemies down etc.. The combat system is very well polished, even if the controls seem lagged.

A couple of the problems I have with the game are, they dont really tell you how to customize your skill sets/styles/gems. They explain the basics of combat, but everything else you have to figure out how to do on your own. A couple of times I was like "WTF" and then realized I had to go into a menu and change things around. Just feels like they should have took more time to explain the whole gem situation, techniques and such.

The framerate, seriously WTF? A game that has had this much polish up time shouldnt be like this. I thought KOTOR 2 was bad, but this is a lot worse. It's REALLY REALLY noticeable too. While it hasnt affected the gameplay yet, I hope it doesnt.

Loadtimes. UGH!! Longer than KOTOR/KOTOR 2. I have a Samsung drive in the XBOX so it's not a Thompson issue or anything. I would hate to see it on a Thompson drive :/. Should be interesting to hear in a couple days how other peoples load times are.

Do I think the game deserves the scores it's getting? Maybe, maybe not. Comparing it to another 9.9 and 10 game, God of War, it doesnt deserve this score at all. Now I havent finished the game so I am not sure if the game will get like 1000000000000000000x better or not. But there are problems with the game and they cant be overlooked because the game comes from the same dev house as KOTOR. I just think they were a little overhyped about this game and gave it 10's. A 10 game is a perfect game. No framerate issues, no huge ass load times, no laggy controls. Even though there are obvious problems with the game, it is definitely worth the purchase. I havent felt comfortable spending $50 on a game lately and this one is worth the coin.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2005, 08:00:01 PM »

Well, there are a few impressions in that other thread, but I didn't want to rip a lot of posts from there to put in here.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2005, 08:04:15 PM »

I am only 2 hours in but so far I love it.  I haven't had any framerate issues, I am really getting into my character, feeling for people I met etc...combat is a blast, not too tough but not too easy on default settings.  Storyline so far seems very good and engrossing.
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2005, 08:16:21 PM »

I put a good 5-6 hours in it last night (and now I'm super tired).  At first I wasn't sure I liked it too much; the action kinda seemed a bit off.  However, once I started to get the hang of it (and yeah, evading a lot), and my character got better martial arts, I find I enjoy it more and more.  Plot is pretty good from what I can tell; I've been doing a lot of side quests (Town X has X, Y, Z problems, and I fix them all).  My character has a lot of styles to choose from, lots of character customization.  Already thinking about different styles to pick, and paths to pursue, on take 2 of the game.

I'd say quite good at the moment, with it entering obsessive must play category soon.
ChrisGwinn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2005, 09:08:12 PM »

Ripped from my post on the other forum:

Some background: I'm not a big Bioware fan. I liked KoTOR a lot, despite its flaws, and I enjoyed Hordes of the Underdark and BG2, but I didn't much like NWN, BG1 or MDK 2. I do like martial arts movies,and I enjoy fiction set in mythological China.

I'm passed the opening village/school (about three hours, maybe) and have five styles - one of each type. So far the plot is pretty standard RPG / kung fu movie fare. I like the setting, and I like the feeling that my character is a badass from the start.

Fighting isn't a disappointment, since I knew what to expect, but it's pretty shallow. At this point I'm inclined to agree with Kasavin and Bob on the difficulty level, and I'm not convinced it's because I'm comparing to fighting games. I entered some challenge where I needed to fight more opponents at once than anyone had. Even with some control and camera confusion, I still whooped them all. Things could change - gaining my first magic style made a difference, and the opponents are getting more difficult. All of the characters with names have still been surprisingly easy, including a demon I barely realized was a demon before I killed. I'll probably bump the difficulty level up.

Character development is more interesting than I thought. There are definitely trade-offs in gem choices, and there are multiple ways to advance in each style.

Voice acting seems pretty good, but, unlike KoTOR, I've been skipping a lot of it. It just doesn't grab me.

The shooting minigame is fun for me, and has better graphics that I'd expect.

You can pause and look around during combat, which I didn't expect.

PC character models and general art direction are good.

The manual doesn't have a lot of text or tables, but does a good job of illustrating controls and concepts. I think it's better than a lot of Bioware games, but I know I'm in the minority opinion on the quality of their manuals.

A few comments on the limited edition content... You'll need to install it before you start the game if you want to use the Monk Zeng player model. The new fighting style is made available nearly immediately - you're given a choice of it or a sword style very early in the game.

So far I'm pretty much agreeing with the gamespot review. It's a great game if you like the setting and the genre (and I do), with some disappointing mechanics.

I haven't seen the loading time or framerate problems mentioned earlier in this thread.  Both seem better than KOTOR to me.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2005, 09:28:46 PM »

I'm really enjoying it so far, and love the eastern mythology and characters.  I do have some nitpicking though:

- This is going to sound crazy, but I wish Bioware recorded all of the spoken language with authentic chinese voice actors, using english subtitles.  They could have even used a different dialect for the "Old language" distinction.  Playing the game right now feels like I'm watching Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon with english dubbing, it just doesn't feel right (even if it's a hell of a lot easier on the brain than reading subtitles all the time - which for some reason I do anyway even when they're speaking english).  It's a small point, but I would've loved to hear the characters actually speaking chinese.    

- Part of what makes the recent chinese martial arts movies so great to watch is the artistry and gracefulness of the violence in their fighting scenes.  A lot of the cinematic brilliance of their fighting revolves around their blocks, parries, and counter attacks. The design decision to have a single animation, large glowing orange shield serve as "blocking", seems so counter to capturing the chinese martial arts feel.  It really would've added to the game if they had built in a visually exciting blocking and counter system, with animations to match.  

Aside from those 2 nitpicks, the game has been great.

Btw, if you bought the LE version of the game, make sure you put your 2nd cd in and unlock the monk character.  His model is very cool, and really puts the other male character models to shame.
Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2005, 11:09:37 PM »

I wanted to put an impression in this thread for my bud Lockdown.

First off, I recommend the game.

The best description would a japanese KOTOR game. If you liked KOTOR's style of play as far as good plot/dialog and good presentation, you will LOVE this game because it is a huge improvement on the KOTOR engine and model.

The game combat reminds me of Fable but with more strategy involved as not every attack works on all kinds of enemies. That forces you to use different fighting styles to defeat what type of enemy you are fighting. The combat at the standard level is not very difficult. I have not tried the other difficulty levels.

I really haven't seen any framerate problems and the game is butter smooth with MUCH fast load times then KOTOR II. Characters and environments look and sound great.

I am enjoying the story and I am trying to follow the closed fist (or dark side) path. I will see how this affects gameplay as I move along.

The RPG aspect is fairly simple and not nearly as complex as KOTOR with only 3 main statistics of Body, Focus, and Chi. Without going into a full explanation on each, basically, this isn't D&D rules and its much simplier to level up. I actually find the system fine. The game even has a method similar to lightsaber/crystals from the KOTOR games that boost your stats.

Overall, I think this is a good purchase if you enjoy the KOTOR/RPG type of games. This is NOT a fighting game, this is NOT an open ended RPG.

This is a good RPG with great dialog and an interesting story. If you like that type of game, I think you will be pleased with your purchase.

The Gone Gold Effect has a strong influence on the weak minded ...
GamerTag: Scoop20906
juji
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2005, 12:41:39 AM »

Howdy, I’ve been lurking on CG for a while now (ever since GG went poof) but I picked up JE yesterday and I've put about 10 hours into it so far (I think I’m close to finishing chapter 2).  
Anyways, here are some impressions so far:

Story:
Things are starting to pick up a bit, but like most story-based games, it starts off by setting the scene before telling you what's really going on.  They've done a good job of creating the world and I'm starting to get immersed into it and the storyline.

Graphics:  
Top notch, you will be hard pressed to find better on the xbox.  The animations are amazing; it's like night and day if you compare them to kotor 1.  As far as the slowdown issue that's been mentioned, I've had very minimal slow down and it's never during combat.  It's only ever happened while roaming towns (I'm guessing that something is being loaded) and it only lasts for a fraction of a second.  I just got finished playing SC:CT and I had worse slowdown in that game after alerting guards on certain levels.  Honestly, I don't see this as being any problem whatsoever, there's more slowdown in kotor 1, and there really wasn't any in that game to begin with (in my experience anyways).  Load times are about on par with kotor 1 (a little faster I'd say but I haven't timed them), but the maps are significantly bigger in most cases.

Side note:  Some of the models have butt ugly faces.  I don’t mean to sound rude, but a good percentage of the villagers so far have some seriously bugged out eyes.  I’m Chinese, and I’ve never seen people with the eyes that some of these guys have.  The player character models are done well though, and look more realistic (I’m using Furious Ming right now)

Sound:  
Great soundtrack so far, but nothing that's been especially memorable yet.  I don't really pay much attention to music in games though.

The sound effects are excellent, and the idling monkeys all over the place make me laugh for some reason.

The voice-overs have been good, but some of the actors come off flat.

Gameplay:
This is the best part of the game so far.  On the default master difficulty I’ve been using the vanilla attacks and haven’t had much trouble.  But, I just kicked the difficulty up to grandmaster and things are getting hairy.  Enough to make me start spending my style points and start looking into the different harmonic combos.

I don’t have that many styles yet, but the ones that I have are all cool.  From what I’ve seen so far, there are 3 attacks per style, with each one having a A+A+A combo.  You can then string styles together into harmonic combos that instantly kill the target in a spectacular fashion.  I haven’t played around that much with the combos yet, but they sound pretty sweet.  Not only do the styles differ in moves and abilities, but they differ in type as well.  The three main types are magic, martial and weapon.  You end up having to balance which styles you use in order to make the most of your “energy bars”.  Magic uses your chi energy bar, and weapon uses your focus energy bar.  Martial doesn’t use either, but basic martial attacks don’t do much damage.  Some monsters are also immune to certain attacks, like magic or weapons.  There’s more to the combat, but I want to get back to playing biggrin.  The bottom line is that the combat is fun and there’s more depth to the fighting than you might think.  

The air mini game is pretty cool too, but it’s not that challenging, I’m going to up that to grandmaster as well and see what happens.

Overall:
Considering I’ve put 10 hours into the game since yesterday, I like what I see so far.  The engine is spectacular, the gameplay is great, and the story is starting to pick up.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2005, 01:23:55 AM »

Well then, my measley 3 hours don't compare to your 10, so I'll keep my impressions brief biggrin

Bioware really has nailed down their ability to tell a story.  I was surprised with the upgrade from the original kotor (which I didn't play that much) to kotor 2 (which I played quite a bit more).  This one takes the cake in that regard.  It's good to see they just don't have the characters standing there like statues during convos - they've added in some animations.  I can't wait till Bioware gets rid of that same diologue camera and puts something more exciting in its place.

Graphics are great.  So colorful.

When people say there's no framerate issues, I'm not sure if they say there isn't because of their definition of "issues."  The framerate is not constant.  Just stand in a spot and move the camera around - it goes silky smooth sometimes, and a bit slower at others.  That said, I don't find it to be an issue at all.  It's way better than the Kotor's amazingly shitty drops in framerate.  It doesn't distract from the game at all and I'm very nitpicky with my framerate biggrin

Combat seems kind of fun so far, although quite limited.  That said, I'm not expecting God of War type combos/juggles here.  What I want is firstly, a good story, and the combat can be whatever.  The attack styles are cool to execute and I've died only once - X+A comes in handy.

Hmmm, what else, oh I'll stop.  It's already longer than I planned anyway.  In summary, my first impressions are positive and I can't wait to see what the world of Jade Empire has in store for me next.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2005, 11:03:00 AM »

I only got in about an hour and 44 minutes last night.

The graphics are good. While they aren't stunning, the style is there any working well. The story seems interesting so far. I'm glad everything is voiced acted. If I wanted to read, I would of picked up a book.

I really really do not like the combat. Its very mechanical in a not so much fun way.

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2005, 11:11:44 AM »

Does anyone know if you get experience if your follower kills an enemy?  I would assume so, but I don't want to be missing out on experience if you don't.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2005, 12:06:33 PM »

welcome aboard, juji - great first post! Tongue

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2005, 12:07:03 PM »

Whoever said they felt like JE feels like a KotOR full coversion mod hit the nail on the head.  It really does feel like I'm playing through a Japanese version of KotOR.  That's not necessarily a bad thing, but having played KotOR 3 times and KotOR 2 twice, I was hoping for something a little different.  

I'm not a big fan of the combat so far.  However, I only got to play for about 90 minutes last night (just finished the Spirit Cave), so I'm sure it will get more complex as the game progresses.  It just feels too...slow, somehow.

I have been far less than impressed with the prerendered cutscenes as well.  While they do a decent job conveying the story, the graphics simply awful.  Maybe I'm just spoiled by the excellent cutscenes in games like Final Fantasy X or God of War, but the ones in JE are not good at all.

I'm withholding judgement until I can play some more.  Right now it just feels  like more of the same, which I was hoping it wouldn't be.

My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2005, 12:10:53 PM »

Welcome juji!  Glad to have you out of lurk mode. smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2005, 01:21:34 PM »

I only got about and hour and change in last night, so this won't be a full blown impressions post.

However, for those who are not liking the combat, what characters are you using?  I thought the combat in the demo was very slow, but I started the game with the speed female, and I'm finding combat feels much better.  Not as fast or fluid as Ninja Gaiden, but definitely better than the demo.

Andraax
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2005, 02:20:13 PM »

Quote from: "EddieA"
Does anyone know if you get experience if your follower kills an enemy?  I would assume so, but I don't want to be missing out on experience if you don't.

I'm pretty sure you do. I've seen XP numbers float up while I'm still busy fighting something. So far, I've always used my follower in active mode as an extra attacker to keep 1 or 2 of the baddies off me for a time.

A little over 5 hours in now, and I definitely look forward to getting home to play further.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2005, 02:52:22 PM »

People have mostly covered my impressions - positives all around - but I'll add one negative -

The mini-game is seriously retarded.  Maybe it gets better over time, but I've played through two sequences now, and it looks like two guys threw it together over a weekend.  They could have dropped in an NES emulator and pulled up 1942 and it would've been better smile
Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2005, 03:33:50 PM »

Quote from: "Gratch"
Whoever said they felt like JE feels like a KotOR full coversion mod hit the nail on the head.  It really does feel like I'm playing through a Japanese version of KotOR.

THAT WOULD BE ME!!!  biggrin

Quote from: "kathode"
The mini-game is seriously retarded.  Maybe it gets better over time, but I've played through two sequences now, and it looks like two guys threw it together over a weekend.

I agree with Kathode that it did seem to be thrown together on the weekend compared to the rest of the game. Just the same, it was actually refreshing to play a shooter game like this again. It's got to be 5 or 6 years since I played something like this. I just hope they don't throw that sequence in too many more times.

The Gone Gold Effect has a strong influence on the weak minded ...
GamerTag: Scoop20906
Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2005, 04:03:30 PM »

I put about 3 hours into the game last night and this morning and so far I'm loving it.  I can’t wait to get off of work so I can go home and play it some more.  Any way, here’s my “quick” impressions:

The graphics are crisp, clear, and very colorful.  The framerate seems to stay pretty constant for the most part, with the occasional drop here and there.  It's nowhere near as bad as some of BioWare's previous efforts, however.  The characters and environments are very detailed and really make the game world engrossing.  I’m not very crazy about the full-screen glow effect, but it’s slowly growing on me.

The music is pretty good and doesn't seem over-done.  So far the voice acting has ranged from mediocre to pretty good, nothing horrible or cheesy as of yet.  Most of the major characters do a decent job; some of the minor NPCs are a bit off though.

The controls are responsive and I haven't had any issues with the combat.  Granted, there are not a lot of different types of attack per style but there are many styles to choose from.  The game forces you to switch styles against certain enemies, so you have to mix things up a bit.  I haven't had any problems using the lock-on system and didn't die nearly as much once I started using evade.  I've used Martial and Weapons styles mainly and have found it quite entertaining and easy to switch between the two in the middle of battle.  I haven't even touched any of the other styles as of yet so I cannot comment on them.  So far, I'm very impressed with the battle system. It's no Tekken or Soul Calibur, but that's fine because I already own and have played both of those games before.

The game play and story have been pretty engaging.  It does seem familiar being the "chosen one" yet again, but it hasn't grown too tiring yet.  The moral choices don't mesh easily into the "good" or "evil" vein.  There are many choices and many different options to approach each action with.  I can't really say much more than that without spoilers.  I have chosen the dark "Way of the Closed Fist" and suffice to say that the situations I've come across have been interesting and I'm already thinking about how I will do things different on my second play through.  The lack of a real inventory doesn't seem to bother me as much as I thought it would.  Part of the joy of RPGs for me is accumulating different types of weapons, armor, and items.  In this game it's all about customizing your character, and it's deep enough that I don't even miss the fact that I'm not hunting for new gear.

Too early for me to really nail down a solid score, but if I were to guess I would say somewhere in the 9 out of 10 range right now.

Glycerine

Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2005, 07:56:31 PM »

Now on Chapter 3.  Really getting better as time goes on, it's got the "oh I'll just do this, and then quit" factor....you know, where you already look up and it's way past the first time you said that.

Plots getting more interesting.  Combat styles are definately more interesting.  I have um 3 weapon styles, 2 martial arts styles (I could have 3 if I bought another), 2 transformation styles, 3 support styles, and 3 magic styles.

I'm still fiddling with what to use, and what not to use.  Though the new weapon style I just got is damn, DAMN awesome.

Thankfully I seem to level fast enough that i can throw points in new styles every so often to replace old ones.  Though old styles are often still extraordinarily effective (my new weapon style replaced my old longsword style, and is better (damn it's fast), but it absolutely sucks down focus, while the longsword one really doesn't at all).

As I start fighting different characters, I definately switch around styles and use different ones a lot.  I still haven't managed to drop a harmonic combo yet, however.  Despite playing some 12 hours or so.  Support style?  Blah!  They all require you to initiate a stupid power attack, which is just so slow to fire off, or an area attack (and that never seems to initiate the combo).

The character interaction is getting better.  There are a lot of random party conversations I'm privy to, and a lot of backstory getting developed.

Load time is starting to piss me off, especially in one battle arena area.  Every fight, and you fight MANY times, involves a load screen into the arena, then one when you win the arena.  Then the next fight, new load screen etc.

Quote from: "Scoop20906"
Just the same, it was actually refreshing to play a shooter game like this again. It's got to be 5 or 6 years since I played something like this. I just hope they don't throw that sequence in too many more times.

Uh, you will.  Good thing is that they're on the whole, very action packed and short.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2005, 09:24:22 PM »

I just figured out last night that you can use the first support style while hitting the aoe attack and have an aoe slow effect on all the baddies around you.  I never used that support style until I figured out that aoe trick, now I use it at the start of a fight and then proceed to unleash claws o' fury on soon to be dead baddies.
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2005, 10:05:31 PM »

Quote from: "Roguetad"
I just figured out last night that you can use the first support style while hitting the aoe attack and have an aoe slow effect on all the baddies around you.  I never used that support style until I figured out that aoe trick, now I use it at the start of a fight and then proceed to unleash claws o' fury on soon to be dead baddies.

Wow.  Um... yeah.  That would have been helpful to know.

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2005, 11:32:37 PM »

Played another hour. Ok, I'm really begining to hate the combat. Wish they stayed with the combat sytle of Knights of the Old Republic or went full on arcade with a tekken style. The rest of the game is great so I'm sticking with it . So far.,..

juji
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2005, 11:38:22 PM »

Thanks for the warm welcomes biggrin.

I haven't had a chance to play more yet (I will later tonight), but as far as the combat is concerned it does take some getting used to.

Probably the most important thing that I found was that you can switch styles mid combo.  So, instead of sticking with one style and then having a pause after an A+A+A combo, you can perform an A+A+A combo with style 1, switch styles before it's finished, and then immediately follow up with another combo from style 2, A+A+A for instance.  This way you will get 6 hits all strung together with no pause in between (I do this a lot with legendary fist and thousand cuts).  You can also throw in all kinds of other combos from your other styles, like petrification from stone immortal or slow from heavenly wave.  So, you can kind of make your own fighting style by switching styles mid combo and stringing different moves together.  

Anyways, I hope that made some sense and was somewhat useful :?.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2005, 12:05:34 AM »

Personally I love the combat in this game, much more than KOTOR combat, or teken type games.  Can anyone explain techniques?
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2005, 12:18:57 AM »

Quick impression after an hour or so.  Don't like it.  So glad I rented.  This seals it-I am most definitely NOT an rpg person.  Just don't have the patience for these type of games.

What surprised me the most from the get go was how disappointing it was graphically.  Blocky, low textured wood, trees, backgrounds.  The people and animations are good, but overall I felt like I was looking at a PS2 game.  It is very colorful, but everything just seemed so unrealistic to the nth degree.  I was expecting so much more in this department.  But this is all personal preference stuff, so, I will leave it at that.

I am so disappointed that I just don't have the energy to spell everything out in any more detail.  I have decided I am sticking with strickly action titles from now on.  With my very limited gaming time these roaming, character building, animated books are just not for me.  

For those that dig it, I am thrilled for you that you got something that suits you.  That is how I felt with RE4 and GoW this year so far.  Here's hoping we all get more the type we really like.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Doomboy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2005, 02:10:28 AM »

From my search of the manual, I believe techniques are always on.  It says you can't get rid of them, that they are permanent.

So I guess you don't "use" them, as such.

So far, I love this game.  It looks great, and the combat is just right for an RPG about Martial Arts combat.  I sure as hell am glad they didn't shoehorn some kinda fightin' game into my RPG.  If the combat was any harder for a non-twitcher like me, I would dump it.  I absolutely hated Ninja Gaiden (too god-danged hard!), and I hadn't the patience for Soul Caliber and Tekken and whatever the one with the boobies was.  I just couldn't take the frustration of getting my butt handed to me over and over and over and over again by my so-called friends (who spent lots of time practicing those games just to embarass me when I would go over to their house. "Hey James! Welcome to my home.  Would you like to play some 'Battling Boobies'?  It is a great new game.  I haven't played it at all yet...").

So, a nicely paced, tactical kind of RPG combat is good.  I still have died twice in combat, but I am not frustrated by it.  I have just learned to save just before any potential combat...

When there's no more room in hell, Jack Thompson will walk the earth.
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2005, 03:34:21 AM »

I will have to wait for a day I am off because I keep falling asleep on this game.
not quite able to keep up with the story, it seems like fun though.
just cant stay up I loged 6hrs but I swear I played like  1-2hr.

Could be because I pulled an all nighter with MC3: Dub Ed the night before and have not yet caught up.

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ()  ()  ()
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ()  ()  ()
PS3 Spinks
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2005, 05:02:24 AM »

I've been enjoying using the heavy ice attack to freeze opponents, and then hitting them with a heavy White Demon strike.  One hit kill.

Of course after watching a friend play using the Thousand Cuts style I think I should have gone with a faster style.

Oh well.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2005, 11:32:13 AM »

I'm sooo dissapointed with Jade Empire. After about 4 hours, I'm ready to throw in the towel. There is a part of me that wants to continue to see the rest of the story. The game is good but each and every combat situation causes me to like the game less and less. I'm getting close to giving up and trading it.

AttAdude
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2005, 02:12:37 PM »

Its good, i like it. the story is what does it for me. I really like the voice acting and i like the conversations so far. Mostly i agree with everything thats been said here. Combat however is the week part of the game, and thats a shame because Kung Fu is the whole point of the game. they really should have taken some time to make the combat system more deep and complicated but its passable now and in the long run i think it will work for me because i like the story so much. My one real bitch about the game is the blocking animation. I think the shield thing is a total cop out. They should have carried the animation one step farther and made the character block like a normal martial artist. The shield would be fine when you are blocking and ice dart for instance, but when some one kicks to my head i wanna see my character block high. I would really have liked it if the combat worked out more like what the Matrix online looks like. The glowing shiled thing is is just so artificial.

AttA
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2005, 02:42:42 PM »

Quote from: "AttAdude"
My one real bitch about the game is the blocking animation. I think the shield thing is a total cop out. They should have carried the animation one step farther and made the character block like a normal martial artist. The shield would be fine when you are blocking and ice dart for instance, but when some one kicks to my head i wanna see my character block high. I would really have liked it if the combat worked out more like what the Matrix online looks like. The glowing shiled thing is is just so artificial.

I agree.  The shield is fine for magical/unnatural attacks but for real life stuff their should be real life blocks.  However after seeing how much movement capture they already did for the moves I have to say I am willing to let it slide.

Oh, and kudos on using capitalization and punctuation.  It is much easier to read your stuff when it is properly punctuated.

juji
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2005, 02:54:57 PM »

I played some more last night and chapter 3 is definitley the best chapter so far.  I don't know if it's because the first 2 chapters set things up, or if it's because they did a better job with chapter 3, but there have been a lot more cool moments and funny scenes.  It reminds me of the transition from the first planet (Taris?) to Dantooine in kotor 1 (things just got more interesting for me).  It could also be because there's more combat going on.

Rob_Merritt, sorry to hear that things aren't working out for you.  What exactly is it about the combat that you don't like and what styles are you using during fights?
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2005, 03:00:57 PM »

Quote from: "juji"
Rob_Merritt, sorry to hear that things aren't working out for you.  What exactly is it about the combat that you don't like and what styles are you using during fights?

I just find its slow and frustrating. I haven't lost a battle yet. I just don't like the control, it feels limited and slow. More than once my wife has caught me yelling at the screen "Why.... don't.... you.... DIE?!?!"

Booner

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2005, 03:00:58 PM »

Speaking of Chapters.....is there a way to know which chapter you are currently in? I know I'm in the Imperial City, but I don't remember anything telling me I've moved to Chap. 3, so I'm assuming I'm still in 2.

P.S. I'd recommend sticking it out a bit further Rob, I was getting bored with it after about 6 hours, but it started picking up nicely about 1/2 way through the second town. The story has started to take more shape, and the amount of combat increases.
juji
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2005, 03:50:50 PM »

Rob, what difficulty are you playing at?  I felt the same way until I bumped it up to grandmaster and started switching between styles more.  Grandmaster keeps you on your toes and switching between styles (and stringing combos together) makes battles quicker, more interesting, and cooler looking biggrin.  Speaking of cool, I had this really weird combo last night where I hit the guy with paralyzing palm which paralyzed him, then with legendary strike which turned him into stone, and then finally with thousand cuts which turned him into dust smile.

Booner, you get a little page at the start of each chapter that recaps what's happened so far, the chapter number is at the top of that page.  I don't know if you can check the chapter number after that though.  The imperial city is chapter 3.  Chapter 1 was the school and chapter 2 was the second city.
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2005, 04:58:41 PM »

Quote from: "juji"
Rob, what difficulty are you playing at?  I felt the same way until I bumped it up to grandmaster and started switching between styles more.  Grandmaster keeps you on your toes and switching between styles (and stringing combos together) makes battles quicker, more interesting, and cooler looking biggrin.  Speaking of cool, I had this really weird combo last night where I hit the guy with paralyzing palm which paralyzed him, then with legendary strike which turned him into stone, and then finally with thousand cuts which turned him into dust smile.

Booner, you get a little page at the start of each chapter that recaps what's happened so far, the chapter number is at the top of that page.  I don't know if you can check the chapter number after that though.  The imperial city is chapter 3.  Chapter 1 was the school and chapter 2 was the second city.

I started on GrandMaster, turned it down for a bit, then turned it back up once I became more adept at fighting. It was too hard at first, then too easy, and now I feel it's just about right.    :shock:

As far as the chapter goes, I just didn't remember getting the Chapter 2 recap that introduced Chapter 3, but I'll trust you...this time.  :wink:
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2005, 05:35:53 PM »

I don't quite have enough time to post my fully thought out impressions, but I am now about 3.5 hours into the game, doing the first real quest type thingy, and I am LOVING the game. Combat can still be hit or miss-some battles are pure genius displays of martial arts mastery and magic that are blindingly fast, exciting, yet strangely tactical and thoughtful. Other battles, while still fun, are more constricted-you don't have the time or opportunity to change up your styles and skills enough, and battle can be won with just a variation on two or three attacks-still, even on the balance of things, the combat is still excellent fun with the potential to only get better. This of course doesn't even begin to consider what I think is a genius story and setting. The graphics are incredible, the artwork fantastic, the style of the game wonderful and different, the story already fascinating and deep-the world of Jade Empire already fleshed out and intriguing in 3 hours.

Man, I can't wait to really sit down and pound out some more of this game!!
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: