http://gamingtrend.com
November 27, 2014, 04:44:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jade Empire Character Choice  (Read 6713 times)
Scott
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: April 22, 2005, 01:08:27 PM »

The character choices seem to be broken down into a male and female version of a fast, balanced, and magic type classes.  So, we have three classes, and different models for each.

I also see that you can customize each character.  Are you further customizing the type of class, like making your magic character more physical, or are you customizing the model?

So, can you take any of the female models, and make any of them a magic user based character?  Or will the balanced model always be just a balanced class, with certain options along the way?

I did a search, didn't see this, and didn't want to read the huge thread on Jade and see any spoilers by accident.

Thanks.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2005, 01:20:31 PM »

I picked one of the balanced characters, but have developed a strong affection for magic. So has my character.

I'm not sure if that's detailed enough to help you out or not, but it's the best I can do without giving specific spoiler-ridden info.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2005, 01:47:33 PM »

I just got it today. I can't wait to get started, but being that it's the weekend I doubt I'm going to get much chance to play. It's nice that it's 2 DVDs.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2005, 01:48:35 PM »

Basically they start off with a template, however you can customize so that if you like the model for say a balanced char, but want to be magic, just customize it to have stats and styles you like as a magic char... at least that is my understanding of how it works.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2005, 01:55:48 PM »

Your choice of character models doesn't appear to have any affect whatsoever on how your character is allowed to develop.  The "fast," "balanced," and "magic" description on the characters during the creation process only reflects their pre-assigned starting abilities, and even those can be changed at will by creating a custom character.

In short, if you pick a "strong" character model, but teach him the Thousand Cuts martial arts style, s/he'll be every bit as quick and do exactly the same amount of damage as the "fast" character would.

Some people have complained about this, but it doesn't seem any different to me than the character creation process in any other RPG -- your character's physical appearance in the game is purely cosmetic, while the underlying gameplay is controlled entirely by the game's rule set.

My character has been developed almost exclusively for speed, so I've been pouring all of my Style Points into Thousand Cuts to max out that style's speed and damage potential.  I've almost completed that, so I'm trying to decide whether to pursue Heavenly Wave (to slow down my opponents), or one of my magic styles next.

Eventually, I'd like my character to have at least one maxed-out martial art, weapon, magic, and support style.  I just haven't decided what to pick for the last three yet since I don't yet know all the choices.

-Autistic Angel
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2005, 01:57:50 PM »

Basically they start off with a template, however you can customize so that if you like the model for say a balanced char, but want to be magic, just customize it to have stats and styles you like as a magic char... at least that is my understanding of how it works.

Okay.  So the template name you initially see for a character model just defines the break down of the initial stats and styles then?  That sounds good.  So any of the models, with the right starting stats and styles, can be a mage type?

I'm guessing it doesn't matter to much down the road though.  I just am trying to avoid to many spoilers, while deciding on the hottest female smile.  Clothes/outfits change as you go?

Excellent, now I see Autistic Angel's post.  I like that, I want to customize the model I like the most, since there are so few.  

Thanks.

---
Zimix

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2005, 02:12:12 PM »

For those of you who have finished the game, what level were you when you finished?

How many styles can you max out before the game ends?
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2005, 02:29:08 PM »

You? Girl!
  smile

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2005, 02:54:04 PM »

You? Girl!
Smile

I'd much rather look at a hot chick on the screen then some guy.  Who wants to stare at the back of a guy for 20+ hours?  Of course, 'hot' is all relative in the video game world, but the digital women look much better.  I suppose some people really get into the game and pretend that it is them though, so I can see why they'd want to only take the male chars.

So, if you like looking at male butt Devil, play the dude! smile

---
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2005, 03:17:08 PM »

20+ hours? Who the hell plays one game for that long!!  :wink:

I see no men or women. Just my gaming failures!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2005, 05:59:37 PM »

Quote from: "Scott"
You? Girl!
Smile

I'd much rather look at a hot chick on the screen then some guy.  Who wants to stare at the back of a guy for 20+ hours?  Of course, 'hot' is all relative in the video game world, but the digital women look much better.  I suppose some people really get into the game and pretend that it is them though, so I can see why they'd want to only take the male chars.

So, if you like looking at male butt Devil, play the dude! smile

I still dont understand this particular fetish-I hear that in MMOs all the time smile I mean, I kind of get it, but I want my avatar to be a...well, you know, hero like dude since I am theoretically a hero-like dude. Im going to stop talking now.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2005, 06:33:34 PM »

Quote from: "Rage"

I still dont understand this particular fetish-I hear that in MMOs all the time smile I mean, I kind of get it, but I want my avatar to be a...well, you know, hero like dude since I am theoretically a hero-like dude. Im going to stop talking now.

I think it is the difference between seeing the character as "you" playing in the game or as a character you control playing the game.

If it is you then it is a bit odd to play the opposite gender, but if it is just a character then why not make it as pleasing as possible?

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2005, 08:09:44 PM »

I think Jade Empire is the first RPG where I'm playing as a female.  I'm not really sure why but I think almost all of the preview material, screenshots, etc showed a female character so it just felt "right" in this case.  

Quote from: "JayG"
I just got it today. I can't wait to get started, but being that it's the weekend I doubt I'm going to get much chance to play. It's nice that it's 2 DVDs.

I'm assuming you got the Limited Edition?  The game itself is not really on 2 DVDs.  That extra DVD is just making of material and an additional character class.  99.9% of the game is on one DVD.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2005, 08:24:31 PM »

I think it is the difference between seeing the character as "you" playing in the game or as a character you control playing the game.

If it is you then it is a bit odd to play the opposite gender, but if it is just a character then why not make it as pleasing as possible?

Exactly!  Very good description.   I just don't see myself as the character.  I treat it similar to when reading a book, I don't insert myself or my name in place of the main characters.  

but I want my avatar to be a...well, you know, hero like dude since I am theoretically a hero-like dude.

So, you are saying, that the gnomish avatars you used in WoW represent you well? smile

---
Jon Edwards
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2005, 09:19:49 PM »

Well said. Most games have you playing a character you control during the game, not yourself. I usually play them as such. This gets strange in MMORPGs where I often speak in the 3rd person about what my character is doing and feeling.

I think the female character designs in RPGs are usually better than the male ones and certainly more attractive. There are exceptions. I started playing Scholar Ling in Jade Empire, but then switched to the monk bonus character, basing him upon "Number Ten Ox" in the book "Bridge of Birds."

I think character designs, particularly the male ones, are getting better. The characters initially drew me to Guild Wars: the female necromancer, of course, but also some cool male characters like the male ranger.
maggie-chow
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2005, 09:04:09 AM »

Clothes and character models do not change throughout the game.  What you see at the beginning create character screen is how your character will look the entire game.  So choose wisely.  

It's a step back, in my opinion.  I prefer  inventory management, a la KotOR II.

"I spill my drink!"    [Currently playing: Civ IV (PC), Romance of the Three Kingdoms X (PS2)]
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2005, 08:06:35 PM »

I don't mind not having inventory to manage besides the gems, but it would've been nice to have a couple of outfit choices or changes throughout the story.  I found it a little silly that they would let my character run around in his normal clothes in the Lotus Assassin HQ for example.
ingrin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2005, 10:37:12 PM »

Quote from: "Roguetad"
I don't mind not having inventory to manage besides the gems, but it would've been nice to have a couple of outfit choices or changes throughout the story.  I found it a little silly that they would let my character run around in his normal clothes in the Lotus Assassin HQ for example.

yes, or if they but the different male characters in a dress for the acting scene in the Imperial City.  I don't think Furious Ming would look anything like the character model they chose.
The Rocketman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2005, 09:47:22 AM »

just a teensy wee bit off topic:

The game that did the changing-outfits best, was PoP: SoT. At the beginning of the game, you have this flashy young fellow in his nice clothes, and at the end there's this bloodied disillusioned prince, with dirty and torn up clothes.

Also, to stay off topic with the WoW-conversation: I think the way you look is quite important in a MMORPG, just because... well... I'm vain in games I guess smile So it's quite normal for me to choose (bad) equipment in line with my character, rather than uber -yet ugly- equipment... And unfortunately, I think there are quite a lot of ugly clothes/armor pieces/weapons in WoW frown Especially helmets, they're real ugly. (Then again, I'm only lev36, so maybe the nice outfits are not yet available to me)
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2005, 02:28:26 PM »

Quote from: "The Rocketman"

The game that did the changing-outfits best, was PoP: SoT. At the beginning of the game, you have this flashy young fellow in his nice clothes, and at the end there's this bloodied disillusioned prince, with dirty and torn up clothes.

Yep- one of those little things that helped make the game so special.

Metal Gear Solid 3 does this too- Snake's appearance at the end differs quite a bit from his appearance at the beginning.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: