http://gamingtrend.com
September 30, 2014, 10:56:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Iwata pretty much concedes next generation, kinda sorta  (Read 1674 times)
Tebunker
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« on: March 04, 2005, 05:32:32 PM »

LINK

Satoru Iwata began by reiterating a sentiment fans will be familiar with: "If the next generation platforms are going to create even more gorgeous looking games using further enhanced functionality, and if that next-gen market can still expand the games industry, I'm afraid that third-parties may not support Nintendo", he admitted to respected trade publication MCV.

Of course something is lost in translation, but he pretty much concedes that if gamers want what is currently being offered, but with better graphics and functionality, and the market bears this, then Nintendo will will pretty much be on their own next gen.

I think what he's saying is that Nintendo is going to try something completely different, and even they know that there's a good chance they'll fail to expand the market. Atleast that's what I get from it.

I still think they're nuts for trying to create the next big thing instead of trying to do everything better than the competition. Maybe that's just me. Eitherway, that one quote just made me think that Nintendo isn't too confident about the revolution. Especially when you read the second quote and it seems like he's making an excuse for being so different... I don't, it jsut doesn't bode well.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2005, 05:52:39 PM »

At the end of the day, as long as they keep churning out original, fun-to-play games that hold my interest I don't care what direction they go in or how many systems they sell.

I dunno, as long as good quality games keep coming out for the Xbox2/PS3 it will be cool if Nintendo is off in left field coming up with their own whacky gametypes - since it is what they do best, it will mean more games for all systems involved for me to play smile

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2005, 06:10:17 PM »

Quote from: "Dimmona"
At the end of the day, as long as they keep churning out original, fun-to-play games that hold my interest I don't care what direction they go in or how many systems they sell.

I dunno, as long as good quality games keep coming out for the Xbox2/PS3 it will be cool if Nintendo is off in left field coming up with their own whacky gametypes - since it is what they do best, it will mean more games for all systems involved for me to play smile

I could not have said it better myself.  Dimmona you hit the nail on the head.   smile  I feel exactly the same way.

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2005, 06:43:26 PM »

Yeah, exactly right. I'll pick up the Nintendo Revolution to play whatever kinds of games it plays - assuming that the "revolution" is actually an interesting, playable, and entertaining concept - and I'll pick up a NextBox or a PS3 to play "standard" next gen games.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2005, 07:15:17 PM »

I'd rather Nintendo have the sense to play the tech race so they have something decent to develop on rather than try to be 'original' and end up with yet another underpowered-but-aesthetic lunchbox.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2005, 07:28:11 PM »

Even with my obvious dislike for this generation of Nintendo products, I still think this is a very odd, very wimpy, very "we are giving up attitude". This new ane original concept type idea sounds like a bad, bad idea and a quick way to get out of the hardware business except for handhelds.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2005, 11:38:45 PM »

Really? See to me it comes across as Nintendo saying, "this is the next entertainment system we want to make. Graphics are not everything. This is how we want to see the video game industry proceed. We think it will work, but we can't be sure. Either gamers and third parties are really going to dig what we have brewing, or the Revolution will not be widely accepted beyond devoted Nintendo fans."

I don't care how the system is accepted beyond myself. If I like what they have up their sleeves then I will support Nintendo with my dollars, and if I want to play awesome third part games that aren't on the Revolution, then I'll pick up MS or Sony's unit.

Nintendo does not want to make the console that Microsoft and Sony do.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2005, 12:20:06 AM »

I wish they would just give up and make games as a 3rd party.  I hate always having to buy a second system just to play Nintendo games.
Temjin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2005, 12:33:47 AM »

Did anyone really expect anything different from Nintendo?

That being said, they are still profitable and a long way away from getting out of the hardware business.  Sega had the Game Gear, Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, and Dreamcast before they went out of business.  

And although Nintendo always talks quite a bit about "graphics not being important," they always manage to make their hardware powerful enough to compete.  That "underpowered-but-aesthetic lunchbox" is more powerful than the PS2 and only slightly less so than the Xbox.  One look at Resident Evil 4 shows how much untapped potential it has.

Now Playing
Wii:  Zelda: TP
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2005, 02:25:36 AM »

Quote from: "Temjin"

And although Nintendo always talks quite a bit about "graphics not being important," they always manage to make their hardware powerful enough to compete.  That "underpowered-but-aesthetic lunchbox" is more powerful than the PS2 and only slightly less so than the Xbox.  One look at Resident Evil 4 shows how much untapped potential it has.

I'm glad someone else said it.  For all of Nintendo's perceived faults this generation, graphics isn't one of them.  They've had some of the most beautiful games of this generation and also frequently feature minimal to no load times in the process.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2005, 03:31:03 AM »

Nintendo themselves never seem to take full advantage of their hardware.

On a personal note I don't like having to buy more than one machine, but it's bound to be a necessity because Nintendo can't release enough games by themselves.

My two biggest problems are that Iwata is allways stating the obvious, paraphrasing here but "If gamers don't like our system or want something different then 3rd parties won't support us." Okay thanks for the obvious.

My second thing is, why talk about this now, it's like them saying that they are uncertain about getting any kind of support. It's a very negative comment. I know I'd like the president of my company saying things like, "Nintendo is going to try to take things in a new and different direction and we plan on redefining the way the industry works." Only one person working for that company who publicly speaks is like that, and Reggie can't do it for everyone. So it puts doubt in my mind when I see the President of the Company being overly cautious and fairly negative about his next product before I even have a chance to see it.

He pulled the same shit before the DS launch, it's like he thinks if he downplays it enough that if it's successful he can beat the drum even louder.

I don't want Nintendo to be like the other two companies, and if you read the linked article a clue even says that the Revolution will be different but won't be that far out there comparatively speaking, but I just have doubts when the leader of the company acts like this.

I don't even know why I care, can someone help me with that? I shouldn't give two shits but I do.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2005, 05:22:13 AM »

Quote from: "Temjin"
And although Nintendo always talks quite a bit about "graphics not being important," they always manage to make their hardware powerful enough to compete.  That "underpowered-but-aesthetic lunchbox" is more powerful than the PS2 and only slightly less so than the Xbox.

Nintendo has managed that the last two generations by coming out a year after Sony.  Yes, the Gamecube is more powerfull than the PS2, but that was a year later.  This time they've said they will compete with Sony directly.  If that's the case, they will probably be no better than Sony and very possibly worse than Sony as far as system power.  IMHO, all the talk about "revolutions" and such, including the quote at the beginning of this thread, suggest they will try and compensate for a weaker system with some sort of gameplay gimmick.  If it works, great, but I'd argue the DS is off to a bumpy start with it's gimmick.

Nintendo either doesn't get it or philosophically doesn't care that the sweet spot in the gaming market is now older than the kids and pre-teens they still focus on (with some exceptions, of course).  That doesn't mean they can't be a profitable company in their niche, but it means they may very well become the Apple of video games - respected and known for quality, but only a fractional player.

As an aside, I'd dispute the idea that the Xbox is only slightly more powerful than the Gamecube.  Just because most multi-platform games do not take full advantage of the XBox's power does not mean the hardware gap is as narrow as those direct comparisons seem to indicate.  As good as Resident Evil 4 looks, it's a whole level below Chronicles of Riddick, IMHO.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2005, 02:55:41 PM »

Riddick being better looking than RE4 is subjective. Riddick shows some really cool stuff but they had to sacrifice in areas. The architecture and level design is very simple in most of the game. There's really not much more than hallways, mostly empty rooms and sometimes boxes around in allot of the game. The Xbox may be more powerful than the Gamecube but remember the GC came out at $100 less and Nintendo wasn't loosing money on the systems because of trying top the competition in the hardware arena.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2005, 05:36:13 PM »

Quote from: "Sarkus"
but it means they may very well become the Apple of video games - respected and known for quality, but only a fractional player.

I think they already ARE in that role. And, as long as they are profitable at it, they will continue to revel in it.

Having said that, when I read Iwata's comments last night, I had a sinking feeling. I see me playing my cube throughout the next generation, unless Revolution is better than I fear it will be, or unless MS or Sony actually come out with games I want to play.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2005, 06:10:53 PM »

Sarkus wrote:
but it means they may very well become the Apple of video games - respected and known for quality, but only a fractional player.

I think they already ARE in that role. And, as long as they are profitable at it, they will continue to revel in it.

i agree. as i've said elsewhere, i work in a 'nintendo-friendly' children's hospital, & kids of all ages seem pretty happy with it. as long as there are parents who turn to nintendo for (ulp!) 'wholesome entertainment', & as long as nintendo continues to provide it with the consistently high quality they have so far, is as long as the company will continue to do just fine...

you needn't 'conquer the world' to be profitable (tho, obviously, it helps smile )...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2005, 08:30:23 PM »

As good as Resident Evil 4 looks, it's a whole level below Chronicles of Riddick, IMHO.

I completely disagree.  What Riddick accomplished on Xbox is impressive but it also screamed "compromise" to me throughout.  For every technical aspect that impressed me in Riddick (normal mapping, dynamic lighting) there was an unpolished graphical aspect (heavy aliasing, characters look like play-dough, environment looked plastic).  It took the PC version of Riddick to really impress me.  There were numerous games last year on all three consoles that I thought were better visually than Riddick.  

RE4, on the other hand, is pretty much as good as it gets visually as far as this generation goes IMO (and I'm not even that impressed with the rest of the game).
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2005, 08:38:58 PM »

Even with all the wierd texturing and cutscene bugs, I think Halo2 looks hands down better than anything else on the console.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2005, 11:37:50 PM »

Riddick and Halo 2 both look great due to the amount of normal mapping being used - which is an expensive operation; hence the reduced architecture etc.

Halo 2 only uses it on (some of) the characters and textures, while Riddick uses it on just about everything in the game which is why the level architecture is so much simpler than Riddick.  Personally, I think Riddick looks much better than Halo 2, but after playing thru most of Resident Evil 4 I would have to say that it looks just as good if not better than either of those games...  

The texture work isn't as impressive, but the sheer amount of special effects/architecture/art style/attention to detail is overwhelming.  But, that's just my own subjective opinion :-)

There is nothing preventing someone from doing normal mapping on the Cube (or PS2), but to the best of my knowledge no one has done it yet.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2005, 11:50:02 PM »

Quote from: "Sarkus"
As an aside, I'd dispute the idea that the Xbox is only slightly more powerful than the Gamecube.  Just because most multi-platform games do not take full advantage of the XBox's power does not mean the hardware gap is as narrow as those direct comparisons seem to indicate.

That's true.  The XBox is far and away the most powerful console system.  A pity no one milks it for what it's worth.

IIRC, the Cube has a better graphics card and more/faster RAM than the PS2 but a comparable processor, while the XBox has a video card on par with the Gamecube's, but even more RAM and a significantly faster processor.

As good as Resident Evil 4 looks, it's a whole level below Chronicles of Riddick, IMHO.

That's totally subjective.  I'd say they were more or less tied, with the slight edge to RE4 for its graphical 'clarity' and varied environments.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: