http://gamingtrend.com
November 24, 2014, 08:45:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Its Coming.....  (Read 6133 times)
moghedian
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: October 29, 2004, 01:53:06 AM »

Greetings!

If you are receiving this email, you are one of the valued testers currently in World of Warcraft’s closed beta test. This message is to inform you that the beta servers will be coming down at 3:00 PM PDT on Friday, October 29 and will remain offline for a few days in preparation for another stress test. Your account and characters will be active for this stress test, but a new client download will be required. After the game servers come down on Friday the 29th, you will be able to log in to the community site and download the new client.

Once the beta-server preparations are complete, we will announce the start of the stress test, and the servers will come back online. When that happens, you will be able to log back in, download a quick patch, and then continue playing. Please keep an eye on WorldofWarcraft.com for more information about the stress test in the days ahead!

We want to take this opportunity to thank you for all the hard work you’ve been putting in to make World of Warcraft a better game. You’ve done a great job, and without you, the classes would not be where they are today, places like the Barrens would not be as rich as they are today, and the changes implemented from your suggestions would never have taken place.

We hope you've been enjoying your exclusive look at World of Warcraft these past few weeks and months, and we hope you'll take some satisfaction in knowing that you’ve played a big part in shaping its destiny. We'll see you again online soon!

Sincerely,

Blizzard Entertainment
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2004, 02:12:47 AM »

So if we dont like it we can blame you?  biggrin  JK I was in the other stress test and loved it.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
moghedian
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2004, 03:02:48 AM »

biggrin  

yes...Blame Me....Please!!!!

All of ConsoleGold!!!..... :!: IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, BLAME ME!!!!!!! :!: ....

all un-liking threads point here......

:lol:

It's fun...
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2004, 03:48:44 AM »

God help all the closed beta testers frown Well, at least we know the game is 2-3 weeks away at most. Can't wait to play retail...just worried about all the other people playing too.

Seriously, I am not joking. Closed beta was bad enough with the massive influx of EQ guilds and the lucky BNet asshats trying to ruin things.

Multiply that by 100 and we get something close to retail. I only hope my experience can get me to lvl 20ish and away from the mass of new players quickly.

I honestly dont mean to sound uppity about it, as I have 99% faith that any CGer would be a huge cut above the regular crowd.
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2004, 04:28:26 AM »

I hope by stress test they mean the open beta... right?  Please!

obb
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2004, 04:34:02 AM »

As far as I can tell, there's a Stress Test 2 and then Open Beta.

Caydiem (blizz rep) - "We'll have more information regarding the mentioned Stress Test, Open Beta, character status, etc. over the next few days"

Stress Test 2 - Closed characters and new people

Open Beta - Blank slate? Tabula rasa?
Juntei
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2004, 06:12:42 AM »

open beta = stress test
obb
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2004, 06:27:28 AM »

I'm not sure that's the case Jun. Read over Blizz's posts on the subject.  They were also pretty clear in refering to Open Beta as Open Beta earlier.  I think there will be a Stress Test 2  and then finally Open Beta.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2004, 06:59:03 AM »

I have no more info than anyone since the forums seem to be completely broken for most of tonight (what a suprise. Come on blizzard, this is the most elementary goddamn thing you could have fixed long ago-yet you still ignore it-the message boards have been broken for months!!)-but this is my understanding:
Stress Test 2-introduce new servers, and the next push, which will basically, BASICALLY, for the most part, "finish" and "complete" the game. Let in a bunch more stress testers (10,000)? Start Monday, finish up November 9-12th. Game basically goes gold at that time, whether publically or not will be irreleveant. Around November 12-14, the game goes to Open Beta. All characters will be wiped, and this period will last until release on the 22nd as a "free demo" of the game for potential buyers.

My reasoning behind this is that the secondary stress test will put a huge load on the final servers that blizzard hopes to introduce in a more controlled setting (ie, not open beta), and also allows the plethora of level 60's test the new content being introduce in the next push, which includes at least one more high level instance, some sort of PvP battlegrounds and reward system, and a rework of several of the higher level Kalimdor areas , not to mention Hunter and Paladin talents, which need to be tested in various builds at the higher levels. Sooo..this makes sense. Of course, all of this could be give or take a few weeks for each part of the above mentioned timeline, stretching this out to the first or second week of december if necessary.
obb
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2004, 07:03:17 AM »

Yah Rage, that's what I got out of it.  Also Warlocks need to test their Infernals... :-)
I think I'm going with Warriors/Druids as my main/primary alt come retail and probably through the next few tests and betas. But I won't mind poking at a Paladin or at a Warlock a little too.
My fiance is probably going to base her class on whatever does the highest DPS, so I'm guessing Mage.  Depending on the way the final game works, it could be something as wacky as a Shadow Priest though.
Raven
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2004, 02:07:54 PM »

Anyone remember that GG poster a few months back who claimed WOW would go gold on Nov 1st.

/x files theme
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2004, 02:14:32 PM »

Isn't an open beta for a MMORPG also known as "Shipped to Retail?" biggrin

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Osprey a.k.a. Gollum
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2004, 06:56:40 PM »

Highest DPS better be the Rogue....I believe at the moment the Rogue is the king of the DPS wars...

Worry only causes harm.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2004, 07:11:09 PM »

Yep...it is...definately the highest sustained DPS, although the mage can kind of match with good spell combos for a few mins at higher levels.

They really have dropped the ball on this. Most mages really hope for a  10%ish increase in spell damage to make up for this across the board.,

If you are going to be the easiest, by far the weakest class in the game physically, and are described as the greatest damage dealer on the official website, you would think they would actually, you know, make mages live up to their description. Right now, they kill very fast, have excellent dps, but have zero survivability and drain mana like a sieve. More damage is needed to really make them a premier DPS class and make up for their complete inability to sustain melee damage (or god help you, a nasty spellcasting mob).
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2004, 07:25:35 PM »

Mages do have some huge advantages in the dps department that rogues don't.

1.  They can root and nuke from distance (frost nova, slow with frost bolts).  Whereas rogues have to be up close and they get to' up, up close.
2.  Mages have incredible AoE power.  Rogues are better at 1 on 1...mages are far better at mobs.
3.  Mages have CC that is combat active.  Rogue CC is only when the mob isn't in combat.

I don't mind rogues doing more damage than mages; they take bigger risks (really, melee should do more damage than distance imho.  You're taking a bigger risk).  I've played rogue to 26 and mage to 23...and I found mage was actually the easiest class to level with (Warrior to 60, 30, 27, 16, Paladin to 24, Rogue to 26, mage to 23, Priest to 16, Warlock to 12, Hunter to 14).

Also, there is this: in the higher level instances, with multiple mobs attacks, mages are required for their high damage, relatively low mana cost AoEs.  Rogues aren't required and are added only if there is an extra slot.  Groups need a tank (warrior atm only, but that should change), a healer (priest, but druids and shamans if specced right can work), and a dps class with AoE (mage.  Can be warlock, but it's much tougher).  That should tell you something right there...
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2004, 07:31:45 PM »

Mages are ONLY required for Arcane Explosion. In fact, for anything beyond 1v1, that is all they are desired for. Of course I agree with most of your points 8Ball, and you certainly know the higher level content more intimately than I do, but I simply cannot agree that mages are balanced properly right now.

Frost Nova has an insane cooldown, lasts only 8 sceonds, and is resisted or broken early frequently. Sheep is undeniably useful, but restores its target to full health and mana in seconds-it is not as overpowering (at least in PvE) as some seem to think.

True a rogue takes more risks. But his energy is nearly infinite. How often do you hear a rogue complaining about lack of energy? When my mana is gone, I am completely, utterly useless. This doesnt even begin to address the fact that no matter how carefully I conserve mana or spellcasting, I invariably draw aggro the second I cast more than one spell at a time....and the second I stop casting frequently every idiot in every group go crazy about why I (or any other mage) is not nuking.l

Mages have lots of pluses, but unless you play one for a long time you dont really respect  how extremely weak and vulnerable they are. As long as mana is finite and consumable, making their DPS higher shouldn't do much more than make them more desirable for overall combat (rather than AE spamming), and allow them to actually contribute more in large battles.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2004, 07:32:37 PM »

DPS?  Double Penetration Syndrome?

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2004, 07:41:58 PM »

Quote from: "EngineNo9"
DPS?  Double Penetration Syndrome?

Dumb Post Suck?
Torfish
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2004, 08:40:52 PM »

DPS - Damage Per Strike?
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2004, 10:45:01 PM »

Good god guys smile
Damage Per Second
Raven
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2004, 11:51:08 PM »

DPS = Damage Per Second

A value used by min maxers to determine the best equip or the best class or the best group for winning an encounter.
PhreezePeach
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2004, 02:03:56 AM »

Silly question time ...

We want to take this opportunity to thank you for all the hard work you’ve been putting in to make World of Warcraft a better game. You’ve done a great job, and without you, the classes would not be where they are today, places like the Barrens would not be as rich as they are today, and the changes implemented from your suggestions would never have taken place.

Was this aspect of the letter "strokage .. form-letter verbage" on Blizzard's part ?  Or aimed specifically at you and your account.  I've always wondered if they keep track of those that 'contribute' and those that just 'play'.  I feel those that provide a steady stream of relevant feedback should be given an account ... If only for, maybe, 6 months or so.

But what do I know ..  :roll:

Dump a bag of Skittles in the toilet. Flush. Watch a three second NASCAR race.
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2004, 02:32:13 AM »

Got the same thing in my email, Phreeze.

And rage, I only played mage to 23, but all the high level mages I partied with in instances hardly thought they were underpowered.  True they had to drink after fighting a few monsters, but as a warrior I HAD to use First Aid or eat after a few monsters too.  Mages could kill monsters 2 levels above them with regularity; as a warrior, I honestly didn't even think about it.  Monsters my level would usually take off a good 40% of my health (some more, like elementals who were immune to my shouts and DoTs and had extremely high damage mitigation, I'd be lucky to roll out with 30% health left).  My bread and butter levelling all those warriors was monsters 2 levels or lower than me.

You seem to miss that every class has a negative.  Frost nova might have a cooldown, but you shouldn't be able to nuke something safely from distance, ever.  There should always be some sort of risk in adventuring.  Always.

One of the really big difference is that mages can summon their own supplies.  Makes their downtime far less expensive than say a priests (fully buffing a party with stam buffs at 60 for a priest took 2 drinks for them do to; 16 silver every 30 minutes.  Unless, of course, they had a mage with them...).

You seriously wouldn't complain so much about mage if you played priest.  It's a question of perspective.

I'm curious, I forgot and was wondering.  How high level did your character get btw?
jessie
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2004, 06:53:18 AM »

im really eager to see what they did for paladins as far as aggro management as well as talents.  i love the paladin class and can't imagine playing another class in WoW.

http://www.grandtheftblogger.com

XBOX Live! Gamer Tag: jessthelaw
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2004, 02:46:13 PM »

I can't wait to see what Talents Paladins recieved. I'm thinking of skipping the open stress test completely. Just wait for retail.

Ascendent
namatoki
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2004, 09:55:50 PM »

I have a lvl 57 mage and lvl 38 warlock on beta2.  Let me give my 2 cents worth.

I've found a mage to be pretty good to solo with.  I've spec'ed my talents in arcane and fire.  Basically with evocation, you don't have to worry too much about drinking between sets of mobs.  Every six minutes, you get a fill up on your mana bar.  My mage has about 5k mana with arcane intellect.  I have a pretty good balance of spirit and int as well.  So I really don't find myself drinking a lot.

In instances, if you don't have a good tank, mage's AoE is deadly for the mage.  I've pulled aggro from so many mobs, if your priest doesn't shield you, you're toast.  So, it's important to find a good tank (and when I mean tank, I mean someone who can hold aggro ALL THE TIME).  If paladins are to become tanks, I really hope they get some good talents to AoE taunt.

As for warlock, if you learn to play this class right, it is extremely easy to kill mobs several levels above you.  Warlocks are pretty nice now with their talents.  Also, warlock's hellfire can out DPS a mage's arcane explosion.  I'm not sure if the hellfire can out DPS a presence of mind insta cast flamestrike then arcane explosion, but as far as mana is concerned, warlocks use much less mana for hellfire then a mage would for multiple arcane explosions.  I hope that mages get some higher lvl spell upgrades so we aren't reduced to portable drinking fountains.

And for stress test and open beta, stress test can't be open beta.  They haven't even done the sign ups for open beta.  And I really hope they don't wipe for open beta.  Wiping at retail would mean more testing time for hunter and paladin talents, plus warlock's felhunter and infernal.  Plus I'm hoping they added more crafting recipes and high level skills and spells.
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2004, 06:33:22 PM »

Hey guys, I'm downloading the "World of Warcraft Open Beta Installer" right now.  I was not in closed beta.  It's 2.5 gigs, and dling very slowly.  However, I cannot create an account yet.  Oh well, it's a step in the right direction!

Edit:  Link removed, as Blizzard hasn't announced it as open to all yet, I wonder if it was a mistake that non cb's were able to get the download.  Doh.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2004, 06:42:06 PM »

UNless I am mistaken, that doesn't mean squat just yet smile There will still be a semi-closed stress test before open beta unless everything on the forums last week was just misdirection.
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2004, 06:46:31 PM »

Ya you're probably right, but given the download time I'm getting (1 day 12 hours to go) I may as well get the file at least.

Torfish
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2004, 06:55:29 PM »

I wonder if this download includes the upcoming patch?  The patch notes should be an interesting read.
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2004, 07:26:51 PM »

Interloper, one post I read on the WoW forums while it was (briefly) up this afternoon was about the open beta downloader you got.  Supposedly it was linked and wasn't supposed to be.  As well, I think I remember seeing something how it wasn't the current version.

I would hold off on downloading it since you might have to download it all over again.  That'd be horrible.

And I agree with Rage.  I think there will be another stress test type (adding more applicants in) before open beta.  They were very careful to call it stress test, differentiated from when they talk about open beta.

Whatever, it's close....
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2004, 07:31:02 PM »

Ack ok so don't download then. I started to D/L glad I caught this.

Ascendent
obb
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2004, 09:10:34 PM »

Aww man! You have to pay FILEPLANET to play in the final stress test.  And then final stress test/closed beta ppl keep their characters in open beta.

Suckage.  Open beta may be free, but I'll be darned if I give my money to Fileplanet.
Osprey a.k.a. Gollum
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2004, 09:18:15 PM »

Ok everyone boycott the OB.............. :lol:

You know I've been disappointed all through the developement of WoW.......Because I never got picked for any part of it..
But you know what? Come retail I'm gonna have that magic feeling that tons of others aren't.

I will see a game that has benefited from months of beta testing without having to put up with the frustration that entails..Yes, I'm trying to put a good spin on a bad situation..so sue me.. :wink:

Really though, we are what, 3 or 4 weeks from shelf-time?

I can wait.......

Worry only causes harm.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2004, 09:21:43 PM »

Someone convince me not to subscribe to File Planet, because I'm seriously two clicks away from doing so.

I WANT TO PLAY THIS DAMN GAME!!

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2004, 09:26:03 PM »

I have managed to refresh the official forums enough to read some blue text, and I am in a huge rush, so bear with me:

stress test will start tonight (atl east for closed beta testers)-no real word on when signups for stress test 2 will be, likely tonight or tomorrow. Test will last 5-7 days. Day after Open Beta goes live, still no word on signups, I would imagine in the next 2-3 days. They say open beta will last as long as it takes, my guess is 7-10 days. My little prediction paragraph on the first page of this thread looks, seriously, freaky accurate so far smile

off to learn mediation skills, blee!!!
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2004, 09:26:14 PM »

Wait so I can download the version off of www.worldofwarcraft.com then? I'm not paying fileplanet squat if thats not the case.

Ascendent
obb
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2004, 09:26:40 PM »

Reading about the people "burned out" on beta testing when Blizz has been hiding content from them to avoiding spoiling the end game makes me kinda happy in a way too.  I just sooo need something to get my mind off the fact that GTA:SA is out but I have to wait for the PC version and I thought the Stress Test would be it.  But no, I have to pay 7 bucks (14 if I want my fiance in too) if I want to play in the next week.  And experimenting with the PVP server in Open Beta might be suicide given the amount of high levels right off the bat, as if the amount of ganking closed testers wasn't enough.

Course PVP rewards/punishments will be in and maybe starting at Open will give me some new quests/lower level stuff the Stress Testers/Closed people miss out on, but still it's 5 days of me wanting San Andreas and Warcraft with the option of throwing money at them to play them...

As long as I can convert the 10 day account from the CE into a paid account without having to deal with buying another box (even if the price is comparable), I'll be happy.  If not, OBB SMASH!
obb
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2004, 09:27:48 PM »

You don't need to pay anyone anything if you're a closed beta tester.
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2004, 09:50:48 PM »

Great I'll go ahead and start the download tonight.

Ascendent
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: