http://gamingtrend.com
August 20, 2014, 09:12:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Its a gaming smorgasbord! What are you playing??  (Read 3266 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: September 23, 2004, 02:07:07 PM »

Really I just wanted to say "smorgasbord".  Its got a funny ring to it.

No seriously, what are you playing?

On my plate:
WoW
Tribes: Vengeance
Burnout 3
MK: Defiance
PotC
Fable

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2004, 02:15:47 PM »

Got a couple of games in trade, fired up some old ones on my PC, so let's look at whats on Deck of the Whiteboy:

Aliens vs. Predator 2
Planescape: Torment
Max Payne 2
Far Cry
Neverwinter Nights + both expansions (someday I'll finish them)
Call of Duty & United Offensive (I swear I cannot get enough of this game, but I haven't had time to burn through much of the expansion)
-this demands to be played with the sound cranked up and I can't do that at night anymore frown

Fable (haven't opened it yet but had it since last week)
Gladiator: Sword of Vengence
Beyond Good & Evil (stuck on the final battle)

I'm sure there's about five more here and there but I'm blanking on them right now.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2004, 03:55:11 PM »

Earlier this month I gave up on Front Mission 4 . I think I'm about halfway through and got sick of it when I realized how shallow the game is. The only fun is customizing the mechs. Once the battles start they just turn into these boring grinds without any real strategy.

I started Maximo: Army of Zin , which I thought was a lot of fun, but stopped playing it when Sly 2: Band Of Thieves came out. I've finished the first two hubs in that game and am enjoying it tremendously.

I picked up Fable last week, but like whiteboyskim, haven't even opened it yet. I also want to get X-Men: Legends , but I'm going to hold off buying anything else until I've worked through some of these.
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2004, 04:24:15 PM »

SW: Battlefront

LiveTAG: happydog
madpeon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2004, 04:25:38 PM »

Sly 1 (Sly2 when I finish)

Burnout 3 (soooo addicting)

Fable

X-Men Legends

Rome: Total War

WH40K: Dawn of War (a maybe, Best Buy's price is tempting at $40)

On Pre-Order:
Halo 2
Half-Life 2
World of Warcraft
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2004, 04:27:40 PM »

Right there with you Andrew. I took a head count of my games and when I got north of 40 that were either unplayed or only about 2 hours worth of play time, I realized I needed to just work through my collection instead of buying anything else I saw. The wonders of saving money. smile Anyway, that's how I stumbled onto the wonderous Beyond Good & Evil, and I know I've got a few other gems in there to play.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2004, 04:45:53 PM »

Right now, my gaming time is split between Burnout 3, ESPN NFL 2K5, and ESPN NHL 2K5, all on XBox.

Mike

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2004, 06:00:50 PM »

I have mostly been playing Burnout 3, ESPN NFL 2K5 (always) &  Fable.

I have Tiger Woods 2005 which I haven't opened yet and Def Jam Fight For New York.  It's actually fun and I dislike Rap music.

My friend and I are going to play Xmen this weekend.

HL2 is fully preloaded and ready to roll as soon as it's released and Halo 2 is preordered.

Sheesh. :shock:

This signature is intentional, ie not a mistake.  If you thing Rick Perry should be forced to resign for this crap, you're part of the problem with our country.  Give me a freaking break.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2004, 06:48:19 PM »

Well let's see here, right now I'm playing several things off and on, and others constantly.

Joint Operations: Tyhpoon Rising
Burnout 3
Unreal Tournament 2004
Doom 3

And come tomorrow I'll be adding X-Men: Legends to that list.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2004, 08:18:48 PM »

So far this week (since Sunday)
PC:
Call of Duty:United Offensive - not only as asskicking as the original, but potentially the most overlooked multiplayer game of the year.

Warcraft 3 - Not sure why, but I suddenly got the urge to finish this one off after not playing it for almost a year.  Did the entire Orc campaign this week... one to go!

Doom 3 - I still love this game, but can only take it in 1-2hour chunks.

Console:
Burnout 3 - Finished off crash mode on Monday, as well as crash headlines and signature takedowns.  And yet I'm only 66% of the way thru the game frown

WWE:DoR - I'm on the second to last match in story mode, then it's going straight back to gamerang.  I love wrestling games, but this one just didn't click as much as I thought it would.

Pikmin 2 - More people need to play this game.  So damn addictive....

Rainbow 6 - Heh after all these months I still manage to play a map or two online once a week

Star Wars:Battlefront demo - Bah, I have a feeling I'll be buying this one...

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2004, 08:23:03 PM »

Right now I'm juggling between

KOTOR (I think I'm almost at the end)
Fable
Burnout 3
Star Ocean
Doom 3 (about 2/3 finished)

and tomorrow I'll be getting X-Men and maybe Katamari Damacy.  And then Shadow Hearts comes out ...

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2004, 08:40:43 PM »

I'll rank them in order being played, to least played:

Burnout 3
The Sims 2 (although it's starting to overtake)
ESPN NHL 2k5
Fable

Fable has yet to really grab me.  It's a shame, really.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2004, 10:41:24 PM »

I've finished fable, playing Burnout 3, loving Second Sight, and getting ready to jump into MMX Command Mission and Xmen legends.

Still have a lot of games I want to go back and polish off like Sphinx, Rayman 3, Super Mario Sunshine among several others.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
aledromo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2004, 11:12:04 PM »

Viewtiful Joe on PS2.  I blew through the easiest setting to unlock Dante, and now I'm savoring the experience on the hardest setting, one level at a time (all I can squeeze in during the day anyway).   This game is great no matter who you're playing as, but the cutscenes with Dante are hilarious.

/fanboy

Join me or die!  Can you do any less?
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2004, 11:24:38 PM »

Quote from: "aledromo"
Viewtiful Joe on PS2.  I blew through the easiest setting to unlock Dante, and now I'm savoring the experience on the hardest setting, one level at a time (all I can squeeze in during the day anyway).   This game is great no matter who you're playing as, but the cutscenes with Dante are hilarious.

/fanboy

I'll have to pick that up.  I was really dissapointed it was originally a Cube exclusive, but now that it has migrated over to the PS2 I will have to check it out.  It looks like loads of fun, but I heard it can be depressingly difficult. :x

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2004, 11:34:52 PM »

PC - Rome: Total War / Kohan2: Kings of War / Warhammer: Dawn of War

Xbox - Burnout 3 / Just bought X-Men, haven't opened yet.

I am seriously in gaming heaven right now.

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
aledromo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2004, 01:38:15 AM »

Quote from: "stiffler"

/fanboy

I'll have to pick that up.  I was really dissapointed it was originally a Cube exclusive, but now that it has migrated over to the PS2 I will have to check it out.  It looks like loads of fun, but I heard it can be depressingly difficult. :x

On the higher difficulties, sure.  But they added a mode called "Sweet," which is even easier than the "Kids" mode that passed for easy on the Cube.  I used Sweet to get through and unlock Dante, and it made for a very enjoyable breeze through the game.  In fact, it made me want to play at the higher level.  It's also about $30 bucks new, so I can't recommend this game highly enough.  Especially if you're a DMC zealot like I am.

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2004, 02:38:44 AM »

On the higher difficulties, sure.  But they added a mode called "Sweet," which is even easier than the "Kids" mode that passed for easy on the Cube.  I used Sweet to get through and unlock Dante, and it made for a very enjoyable breeze through the game.  In fact, it made me want to play at the higher level.  It's also about $30 bucks new, so I can't recommend this game highly enough.  Especially if you're a DMC zealot like I am.

Thanks for the added info, Ale.  The look of the game and the humor really drew me in on all the Cube previews, so I am glad to hear it can be enjoyed by the easily frustrated!  $30 new makes it sound even sweeter.  If I don't pick it up soon I'm sure I will snatch it up either used or when it hits $20.  I really need to venture out and put more time on the PS2.

I could go on to mention I've never tried DMC, either :twisted:

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2004, 02:40:03 AM »

Fable - SW:Battlefront - Pikmin 2 - Phantom Brave - Kakamaki Damaki (or whatever the hell it's called) - X-Men - Silent Hill 4 - ESPN NHL - ESPN NFL - Sly 2 - Burnout 3

and it's just getting started.  :shock:

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2004, 02:44:20 AM »

Quote from: "Devil"
Kakamaki Damaki (or whatever the hell it's called)

I bought this today.  I just call it "rolling big ball of random garbage" and people know what you are talking about. :lol:

I'm just glad the store had a display copy so I could cary the box over, rather than having to ask for it by name.

aledromo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2004, 02:52:05 AM »

Please.  Please don't mention this.  You'll get me started again.

However, you did classify yourself as easily frustrated.  If this be true, allow me to state that DMC1 is not for you.  But I'll be happy to play through it for you if you're ever up in Boston.

Out of curiousity, did you ever try Ninja Gaiden?

Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2004, 05:11:46 AM »

Easily frustrated? Well hello, Lava Spider!

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
aledromo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2004, 11:14:13 AM »

I'm not exaggerating.  I spent five days trying to beat him the first time I played.  Easily went through 13 hours on him alone.  And what is he, the boss of the third level?  

Strangely, though, no game ever hooked me to come back for so much punishment.  Before or since.

madpeon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2004, 04:07:34 PM »

You're going to hate me for saying this but I traded in my mint, non GH copy of DMC.....

I just couldn't get into it after playing NG. I beat NG on Normal, Very Hard, and with HP1 with Master Ninja ratings on all levels. Amazing gaming experience (100+ hours of gameplay, pretty good with all the weapons now  :lol:).

DMC on the other hand turned me off with its static camera, 2d backgrounds, non-intuitive combat/combos.....

I guess when it comes down to it, I was looking for NG2 and DMC wasn't it. Still, a nifty concept and one I might come back to at a future date.
aledromo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2004, 05:24:29 PM »

Yeah, see, the problem is that you played them in the wrong order.  It is hard to go back to DMC after playing NG (NJ = Ninja Jersey?).  I keep trying to recenter the camera with R1.  However, if you played DMC first, you love NG that much more for getting the few things that were missing correct...though it's missing just a bit of the style.

The debate rages on.

madpeon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2004, 05:30:36 PM »

Fixed  :oops: heh.

Ya, I kinda figured as some of the stuff in DMC just seemed a little off after NG.

I still think it is/was a great action game, but I just keep coming back to NG.
aledromo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2004, 09:02:17 PM »

Yeah.  See, from my perspective, NG is the DMC2 I was hoping for.  I lucked out, because I feel like I was able to fully appreciate both.

Then again, I barely beat Alma 1 on Very Hard and had to stop right afterward out of frustration, so what the hell am I talking about full appreciation of NG for?  Nice work, Peon.

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2004, 04:01:10 AM »

Please.  Please don't mention this.  You'll get me started again.

However, you did classify yourself as easily frustrated.  If this be true, allow me to state that DMC1 is not for you.  But I'll be happy to play through it for you if you're ever up in Boston.

Out of curiousity, did you ever try Ninja Gaiden?

I have yet to play Ninja Gaiden outside of the five minutes I spent trying to run up a wall on the GameStop demo machine!  I'm waiting for it to drop in price because I know I won't be getting $50 out of it.

I'd love to take you up on the offer to show my the run-through of DMC.  I visited Boston a couple years ago and absolutely loved the town.  Wonderful weather, interesting people, and great history.  I also got to visit Newbury Comics in person.  I used to spend all my paychecks shopping the old online store.  Did they ever finish the Big Dig?

aledromo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2004, 02:25:43 PM »

They've finished a few parts of the town, but as with any mob organized, government funded project, they still have a lot of expensive, inconvenient work to do.  $15 Billion so far.  I shudder to think of the things they could have provided for the city with that money.  

Ninja Gaiden is fun but poorly balanced.  The first and second levels (mostly, their bosses) are a lot harder than what you'll find in the middle levels.  If you can't beat the first boss, it's not a harbinger of poor game skills.  Keep at it and when you do you'll find yourself cruising through a significant portion of the game.  I'd offer to show you that one, too, but I think Peon may be a better demonstrator.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2004, 06:35:00 PM »

Personally, I just finished up some of the extras in Star Ocean 3. To say that the game is huge (IF you want to finish it with 100%), is an understatement. You can expect to put in somewhere between 100 to 150 HOURS if you want to see and experience everything that the game has to offer. It also has a totally messed up and outright unexpected plot twist along the lines of KotOR deep inside.

Next up is Fable. After that, either I'll finish up some little extras in Tales of Symphonia, or play any one of the following (of which I'm all over the place in completion):

X-Men Legends
Doom III (PC)
Sudeki
...and many, many, many more. Trust me on this. And there's a ton of games due out between now and the end of the year that I must play...

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: