http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 07:11:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: It Finally Happend- the dreaded Red Rings of Death!  (Read 3113 times)
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 15, 2007, 03:12:17 AM »

Hey, everyone else seems to start a new thread for this....

Well, my launch day 360 finally gave up the ghost tonight when I went to play Assassin's Creed.  Looks like I'll be sans 360 for the next month or so.

While the knowledge that I have Crysis, Super Mario Galaxy, and Uncharted to play along with a huge chunk of The Witcher to finish will help hold me over, I'm really bummed that plans to spend the long Thanksgiving weekend playing Mass Effect just aren't going to happen, not to mention I was pretty excited to start AC.  To be honest, if it had died before I had opened AC, I would be tempted to pick up the slightly substandard PS3 version of AC in the interim. 
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 03:19:03 AM »

Sorry, man. frown  I hope it returns quickly.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 03:20:42 AM »

With a launch box I guess you want it to die before the warranty goes out anyway.   But I guess there never is a good time for it to happen.

My launch box died in Feb of 06 on the day I bought a new TV specifically to use with it.  But the one I recieved back along with a second box purchased a few months later have been solid as rocks despite daily use.

(I'm knocking on my wooden desktop as I type this message.)

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
warning

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 03:21:37 AM »

Well crap Kevin.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 03:21:44 AM »

Quote from: Brendan on November 15, 2007, 03:19:03 AM

Yeah, thanks.  Hopefully it will be back by Christmas but I won't hold my breath. 

Anyone have any advice?  Should I wait for MS to send a coffin (do they do that anymore?) or should I just try and find a suitable box to ship it in and do it myself? 
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007, 03:22:51 AM »

Quote from: denoginizer on November 15, 2007, 03:20:42 AM

With a launch box I guess you want it to die before the warranty goes out anyway.   But I guess there never is a good time for it to happen.

No doubt but, honestly, it really couldn't have happened at a worse time.  Mass Effect is quite literally my most anticipated game on the system so far.  Why couldn't it have happened this summer when I just would have been missing out on The Darkness or something? 
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2007, 03:29:56 AM »

Sad, really. You could "rent" one from BestBuy or Costco, and just return it when yours comes back. Depends on your moral stance; I'm on my 3rd console right now (the first exchange was glib -drive was too loud, I had ext. warranty at EB) and if this one dies a third time I will be crossing that boundary.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Simon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2007, 03:38:48 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 15, 2007, 03:21:44 AM

Quote from: Brendan on November 15, 2007, 03:19:03 AM

Yeah, thanks.  Hopefully it will be back by Christmas but I won't hold my breath. 

Anyone have any advice?  Should I wait for MS to send a coffin (do they do that anymore?) or should I just try and find a suitable box to ship it in and do it myself? 

I'd wait for their box just to avoid paying any shipping cost. When mine died recently it took about 5 business days to get the box and the replacement 360 was back to me in about 3 weeks or so. I'd say there's a good chance that you'll have it back by Christmas.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2007, 03:53:49 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 15, 2007, 03:12:17 AM

To be honest, if it had died before I had opened AC, I would be tempted to pick up the slightly substandard PS3 version of AC in the interim.

me, i'd go back with the receipt, tell'm my tale of woe, & see if they'd do a swap? ('slightly substandard' - you crack me up smile )...

sorry it happened, bud... but you know my feelings about all things 360: play, fire, burned...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2007, 04:14:35 AM »

Mine just died last week and it took about 3 or 4 days to get the coffin, so definitely wait for it.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2007, 04:35:09 AM »

I'm sorry to say this, Kevin, but you had it coming. Did you think your Xbox 360 wouldn't find out about the way you were defending Uncharted for the PS3?  That little white box is a cruel mistress....
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2007, 04:38:03 AM »

Boy, that is shitty. 

Rent (or trade) for the PS3 version of Assassin's Creed.  It plays just fine.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2007, 04:39:38 AM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on November 15, 2007, 04:35:09 AM

I'm sorry to say this, Kevin, but you had it coming. Did you think your Xbox 360 wouldn't find out about the way you were defending Uncharted for the PS3?  That little white box is a cruel mistress....

It's that damn 360 Voice site where it blogs about me!  It kept complaining it wasn't getting enough use and now it has its revenge!

Quote from: TheMissingLink on November 15, 2007, 04:38:03 AM

Rent (or trade) for the PS3 version of Assassin's Creed.  It plays just fine.

Yeah, I might rent it. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2007, 04:59:20 AM »

well  icon_frown

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2007, 05:00:09 AM »

ouch, that's rough man.  My condolences...
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2007, 05:04:53 AM »

Man KMG that sucks. Couldn't have happened to a guy less deserving of having a console crap out on them. Keep up the good fight, and you know, go...rent one, or Costco one, or buy one and sell this when it comes back, or something. Don't miss out on ME and AC and all the other goodies over Thanksgiving and Christmas-god knows how the holidays are going to slow them down man, keep that in mind.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2007, 05:35:22 AM »

Ouch, sorry Kevin.  If my 360 goes belly up the week of Rock Band, someone is going to get hurt.

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2007, 08:16:16 AM »

Another reason to buy all the non-exclusive games for the PS3.  You really should have known better  icon_lol  I mean, this game doesn't even have multiplayer does it?
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2007, 01:01:34 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 15, 2007, 03:21:44 AM

Depends.

When mine died it was during the gray period of when MS wasn't/was/wasn't paying for shipping so as soon as it went down I shipped it off myself. I think all told the shipping was just north of 20.00 with tracking.  I had it back in 11 days...So if the extra 4 to 5 days don't bother you, wait.  But I'd just assume have it back faster...or did.
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2007, 01:41:38 PM »

DUDE. Im sorry for your loss.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2007, 01:45:31 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on November 15, 2007, 05:04:53 AM

Man KMG that sucks. Couldn't have happened to a guy less deserving of having a console crap out on them. Keep up the good fight, and you know, go...rent one, or Costco one, or buy one and sell this when it comes back, or something. Don't miss out on ME and AC and all the other goodies over Thanksgiving and Christmas-god knows how the holidays are going to slow them down man, keep that in mind.

Yeah, I'm contemplating seeing how much a weeklong 360 rental from blockbuster would go.  Purge's idea is a good one too but I think both scenarios are going to get me "are you crazy" looks from my wife.  But I *really* want to play ME.

Quote from: Canuck on November 15, 2007, 08:16:16 AM

Another reason to buy all the non-exclusive games for the PS3.  You really should have known better  icon_lol  I mean, this game doesn't even have multiplayer does it?

One of the reasons I own all of the consoles is so I can be assured of playing the absolute best version of a multiplatform game and that seems to be the 360 in the case of AC.  However since it sounds like the PS3 version is still fine I might stop by Blockbuster today or tomorrow and see if they have it for the PS3.  I'm going to miss the rumble though....
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2007, 01:46:34 PM »

Quote from: HankRaptor on November 15, 2007, 01:41:38 PM

DUDE. Im sorry for your loss.

I know as bummed out as I am, it's nothing compared to your ordeal with MS.  I'm really hoping they got their act together and I'm not about to enter into the death spiral of refurbs. 
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2007, 01:49:26 PM »

Mine died last month, and from the phonecall to Microsoft to getting my 360 back was two and a half weeks.  It sucks that it happened, but the turnaround time was bearable.

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2007, 01:49:46 PM »

That's where I'd go to costco and be SURE I was getting a 360 with a falcon.

Who says MS needs to get the same one back from costco when you return it? ninja

(I think I may have enjoyed Oblivion's Thief Guild a little too much... slywink )

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2007, 01:53:11 PM »

Quote from: JLu on November 15, 2007, 01:49:26 PM

Mine died last month, and from the phonecall to Microsoft to getting my 360 back was two and a half weeks.  It sucks that it happened, but the turnaround time was bearable.

I will be *very* happy if it's that short though I can't help but think that the Thanksgiving holidays along with the huge boost in package shipments this time of year might delay things a bit. 
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2007, 01:59:26 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 15, 2007, 01:45:31 PM

However since it sounds like the PS3 version is still fine I might stop by Blockbuster today or tomorrow and see if they have it for the PS3.  I'm going to miss the rumble though....

I could probably hook you up with a rumble controller if you want.  Shoot me a PM if you're interested.  I don't know whether AC supports it though.
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2007, 07:42:08 PM »

Wow, that's horrible. Especially because like you, I'm really looking forward to Mass Effect. Hell, I'm not even turning my 360 on until I get the game in fear of having it go RoD on me. And yeah, mine's a launch console too. Sorries, man.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2007, 07:46:04 PM »

Quote from: Fellow on November 15, 2007, 07:42:08 PM

Wow, that's horrible. Especially because like you, I'm really looking forward to Mass Effect. Hell, I'm not even turning my 360 on until I get the game in fear of having it go RoD on me. And yeah, mine's a launch console too. Sorries, man.

Well, I was kind of prepped a little because CoD4 locked up on me twice on Saturday (hadn't played the 360 between Saturday and last night).  So I had a little twinge of worry from that.  As disappointed as I am, I think it would have been harder if it had occurred next Tuesday night when I put ME in.

Called MS today and my coffin is on the way (they said 5-7 business days with an overall turnaround of 3-4 weeks).
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2007, 07:52:19 PM »

that sucks dude.  did you try all of the usual tricks to get it working again?

i had my first lockup last night on the elite bought in the spring.  it stopped mid save in ac, so your post makes me wary again. 

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2007, 08:28:33 PM »

Quote from: Caine on November 15, 2007, 07:52:19 PM

that sucks dude.  did you try all of the usual tricks to get it working again?

Beyond wrapping it in a towel (which I ain't gonna do) what else is there? 

I'd rather get it over with.  If it was just to get through a seven hour CoD4 single player campaign that's one thing.  But I'm dubious whether I could get it to run reliably through twenty hours of AC and forty hours of ME. 
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2007, 09:06:56 PM »

My co worked got his in 2 1\2 weeks if it helps. sorry to hear that had to happen now. The bright side is you got 2 years out of it, that must be some kind of record. I am on my 5th keeping my fingers crossed that my Sept. born unit is will equipped for the hours it will pulling next week  icon_twisted   

XBox GAMERTAG:Juniordan     ()  ()  ()
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222  ()  ()  ()
PlayStation: Spinks      ()  ()  ()
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2007, 02:17:58 AM »

Thank goodness for family!  My brother-in-law is going to be incredibly busy with work for the next several weeks (including traveling) and is letting me borrow his 360 while mine is repaired.  So I'm still in for ME on day one!
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2007, 03:34:12 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 16, 2007, 02:17:58 AM

Thank goodness for family!  My brother-in-law is going to be incredibly busy with work for the next several weeks (including traveling) and is letting me borrow his 360 while mine is repaired.  So I'm still in for ME on day one!

Dude, too awesome!! Get on it (And let's hear about Assassin's Creed too!)
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2007, 07:31:29 AM »

Haha, good stuff. So close to ME, and not being able to play it day 1 would be a crime.  thumbsup

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2007, 08:26:15 AM »

Have there been any reports of the new 360 models failing?

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2007, 03:18:53 AM »

This seems as good a RRoD thread as any to resurrect!

What's the best way to handle an intermittent RRoD problem?  I got it several times on Sunday and submitted a RMA request.  Yesterday and today, the 360 has been working fine.  If the coffin arrives by the end of the week, I'm worried what will happen if I send it in while the rings are still in their early intermittent stage.  It'd be bad enough if they send it back to me without any changes, but even worse if they charged me the $100 out of warranty fee because they couldn't reproduce the red rings.

Thoughts?
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2007, 03:44:22 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on December 12, 2007, 03:18:53 AM

Thoughts?

Put it in the microwave.

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2007, 03:48:27 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on December 12, 2007, 03:18:53 AM

This seems as good a RRoD thread as any to resurrect!

What's the best way to handle an intermittent RRoD problem?  I got it several times on Sunday and submitted a RMA request.  Yesterday and today, the 360 has been working fine.  If the coffin arrives by the end of the week, I'm worried what will happen if I send it in while the rings are still in their early intermittent stage.  It'd be bad enough if they send it back to me without any changes, but even worse if they charged me the $100 out of warranty fee because they couldn't reproduce the red rings.

Thoughts?

I would wait.  They have extended the warranty for RRoD for a pretty long time (three years I believe).  I just had it happen to mine and did send it in because it was constant but it was only 2 years old so I would have had another year.

When was yours made?  Figure 3 years from that.  If time is close it is probably better to send it in, but if you have several months why not wait to see if you can get it to be broken all the time.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2007, 04:34:12 AM »

My biggest worry is that it'll break in some non RRoD manner and I'll have to pay $100 for the repair.  Hmm...
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2007, 04:54:33 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on December 12, 2007, 04:34:12 AM

My biggest worry is that it'll break in some non RRoD manner and I'll have to pay $100 for the repair.  Hmm...

My guess is that they have so many returns that they don't bother to verify anything. They probably receive it, throw it in a corner with all the other broken 360s and then send you a refurb the next time a batch comes through the warehouse.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: