http://gamingtrend.com
September 21, 2014, 04:39:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Xbox 360 Dashboard update- Comedy Central Stand Up app  (Read 15011 times)
PeteRock
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: December 07, 2011, 03:24:46 PM »

I at least know I'll never set foot in a grocery store in your town.   icon_eek

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 07, 2011, 03:25:52 PM »

I was able to sign in with no problem this morning and watched a couple of tutorials, then played with the dashboard a bit. Seems all pretty straightforward. One issue I did find was with the Cloud storage of saved games. Major Nelson used Forza 4 as his example in the tutorial on Cloud storage, but I can't copy the main Forza 4 save file, the one with my gamertag, from my hard drive to the Cloud. Not sure what to do here and I don't want to risk screwing it up.

UPDATE: I did copy over one Forza 4 file to the Cloud, but when I checked it the file reads "Not cloud supported". Guess the Major should have used another game for an example! Other saved files I copied to the cloud show "In sync", so it does look like a game specific issue. No doubt a few hundred Forza 4 gamers will be posting to Microsoft about this.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 03:30:37 PM by jztemple2 » Logged

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 07, 2011, 03:29:59 PM »

how about this one pete:  "by participating in second mile, you give up all rights to civil litigation arising from shower time with uncle sandy"

i GUESS you could just not participate - but who would know right?  to me this seems to go miles beyond the standard release of liability
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 03:33:25 PM by Doopri » Logged
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 07, 2011, 03:48:45 PM »

People (including you guys) always tend to go crazy with overreacting on license agreements.  It's not a big deal.  Either use the damn console or don't.

worst case scenario, they fuck everything up and you can't play games anymore.  Oh well.  It's not like the console is going to murder your family and then you have no recourse since you agreed to the agreement.  ninja

There are plenty of things to get upset about, but I don't see how the license agreement is one of them.  BTW temple, you did have a choice, turn off your xbox instead of proceeding.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 07, 2011, 03:56:09 PM »

its not so much my fear of what microsoft may or may not do, its the judicial precedent that is set and what may come of that
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 07, 2011, 04:12:12 PM »

I'm not all too familiar with The Cloud, but I remember reading somewhere that you'd be able to access your gamertag and associated save games through The Cloud on someone else's console.  I'm hoping this works out as I'll be in Pittstucky over the Christmas holiday and would love to play some new games under my own gamertag on my brother-in-law's Xbox and keep the achievement points I accrue rather than having to start all over again when I get back to Arizona.

Quote from: Harkonis on December 07, 2011, 03:48:45 PM

People (including you guys) always tend to go crazy with overreacting on license agreements.  It's not a big deal.  Either use the damn console or don't.

worst case scenario, they fuck everything up and you can't play games anymore.  Oh well.  It's not like the console is going to murder your family and then you have no recourse since you agreed to the agreement.  ninja

There are plenty of things to get upset about, but I don't see how the license agreement is one of them.  BTW temple, you did have a choice, turn off your xbox instead of proceeding.

While some forums overreact in the manner you describe (OMG but what about my family!), I don't see that here.  Merely a discourse on how ridiculous disclaimers can be and an underlying hope that they do not completely absolve the offending party. 

Exaggerating the forum's reaction by equating displeasure with the agreement to an irrational fear of completely helplessness is a bit much.  As many of us have invested a fair bit into our gaming habits, having a simple dashboard update potentially hinder or even ruin that capability, such as through an associated RROD or something along those lines, I don't see the voiced concerns as irrational or blown out of proportion.  I can tell you that I certainly would be rather upset if the update caused an unexpected error with my console and rendered it useless.  And based upon prior problems throughout the Xbox's history, this isn't an irrational concern.  I'm not in a position to replace it.   

While ultimately this all amounts to a mere inconvenience, it seems to be an unnecessary one. 

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: December 07, 2011, 04:30:00 PM »

So their cloud save solution is an all manual process like copying a save file to a memory card?  Cripes, get with the time MS.  This needs to just auto-sync my profile and saves just like Steam or any other service would.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 07, 2011, 04:35:07 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on December 07, 2011, 04:30:00 PM

So their cloud save solution is an all manual process like copying a save file to a memory card?  Cripes, get with the time MS.  This needs to just auto-sync my profile and saves just like Steam or any other service would.

I was surprised by this, too.  The PS3 does this seamlessly.

Quote from: PeteRock on December 07, 2011, 04:12:12 PM

I'm not all too familiar with The Cloud, but I remember reading somewhere that you'd be able to access your gamertag and associated save games through The Cloud on someone else's console.  I'm hoping this works out as I'll be in Pittstucky over the Christmas holiday and would love to play some new games under my own gamertag on my brother-in-law's Xbox and keep the achievement points I accrue rather than having to start all over again when I get back to Arizona.

You can do this.  Take a look at some of the new help videos MS put up on the new dashboard.  It's a pretty great feature, I have to say.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 07, 2011, 06:26:34 PM »

Quote from: Doopri on December 07, 2011, 03:56:09 PM

its not so much my fear of what microsoft may or may not do, its the judicial precedent that is set and what may come of that

Did you have the same outrage when PS3 updated their TOS to say the same thing a couple of months back?

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 07, 2011, 06:33:15 PM »

OH SNAP

(if he has a PS3)

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 07, 2011, 06:46:57 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on December 07, 2011, 06:26:34 PM

Quote from: Doopri on December 07, 2011, 03:56:09 PM

Did you have the same outrage when PS3 updated their TOS to say the same thing a couple of months back?

You don't remember this comment of his?

Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 07, 2011, 07:52:24 PM »

i dont have a ps3 - did sony also have to add in an enormous section dealing with what would have if *one certain part of the contract were found to be illegal* (wonder which part?).  its not like im overreacting - the company knows what it is doing is such a judicial stretch it added in a subsection addressing the legal issues that are surely pending or forthcoming
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 07, 2011, 07:57:13 PM »

and like i said, its not like im ticked at microsoft per-se, im ticked at the precedent of the matter.  congress as a legislative body DOES have the right to remove certain issues from the jurisdiction of the courts - last time i checked corporate entities do not
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 07, 2011, 08:40:40 PM »

I tested cloud storage with Skyrim. If you load the latest save from the hard drive it only saves to the hard drive. I guess if you loaded the save from the cloud it would save to the cloud.... and I just confirmed this with Skyrim again. When starting Skyrim it asks me which storage device I want to use and since I selected Cloud it loaded the latest save game from the cloud and when I save the file it saves to the cloud. It's up to me to copy (or move) that save game to the hard drive. So, just as the Major said in his tutorial, the cloud acts exactly like removable storage media.

Yup, it would be nice as EngineNo9 suggests, that it auto sync saves, but I'm ok with it as it is, for now at least.

Oh and I can understand why you can't use the cloud for Forza 4. It relies on multiple save files of different types and trying to keep them all in sync would be a challenge.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 07, 2011, 08:51:38 PM »

booted again, round two of connection issues
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: December 07, 2011, 09:03:46 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on December 07, 2011, 08:51:38 PM

Cool, my button works remotely.  ninja

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 07, 2011, 10:02:40 PM »

Horrible, un-untuitive interface now, and they removed the ability to see the dragon my avatar won from a game as well.

Oh well, it's not like I use the xbox much, but with this added? And what looks like the beginning of ads as well? Hello PS3, I guess we will be seeing even more of each other from now on.

A new one
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 07, 2011, 10:37:34 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on December 07, 2011, 04:35:07 PM

You can do this.  Take a look at some of the new help videos MS put up on the new dashboard.  It's a pretty great feature, I have to say.

I would assume the only problem is recovering your Gamertag on a new system can take forever.  Then you have to recover it back home.  Not exactly elegant.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 07, 2011, 10:54:29 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on December 07, 2011, 10:37:34 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on December 07, 2011, 04:35:07 PM

I would assume the only problem is recovering your Gamertag on a new system can take forever.  Then you have to recover it back home.  Not exactly elegant.

I had to do a gamertag recovery with the update and it was super fast.  Used to be 20 minutes or more, was about 2 minutes this time.  I have a feeling they have tried to speed it up to work better with the concept of the cloud saves
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 07, 2011, 11:27:07 PM »

Quote from: Doopri on December 07, 2011, 03:19:41 PM

theres NO WAY the courts let it stand... right?  i mean seriously, right?  heres where we find out - otherwise next time i walk in the supermarket "by merely walking in these doors, you forgo all rights to sue us if our employees "John the Gimp" and "Leatherpecker" rape your wife and stab your dog when you shop in the sodomy aisle, as the gift certificate we give you in compensation is more than enough"

Can you let me know where you live so I know never to move there. KTHX!
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 08, 2011, 12:03:28 AM »

the problem is thinking you can avoid the sodomy aisle - of course once you walk in, you realize EVERY aisle is the sodomy aisle!  by then its too late!
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 08, 2011, 12:56:17 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on December 07, 2011, 09:03:46 PM

Quote from: Harkonis on December 07, 2011, 08:51:38 PM

Cool, my button works remotely.  ninja

icon_biggrin
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 08, 2011, 12:55:38 PM »

hopefully i have not missed someone else pointing this out

but those of us who was in the beta...we are still in
https://connect.microsoft.com/XboxLIVEUpdate/content/content.aspx?ContentID=26899

TODAY WE LAUNCHED THE FALL UPDATE!!!

What Now?

We’re not done yet delivering the entertainment package for Holiday 2011.  The Preview program continues through the end of this year and we still have applications yet to release this year that we need your continued support for testing.  Not all of the applications available to you today (or in the near future) have released as we are still working very hard to deliver those and still need your continued assistance on testing the applications and providing your feedback.

Apps not yet released to the General Public, but available for testing in Public Preview today:

·        DailyMotion (US, CA, UK, FR, DE, IT, ES, MX, AU)

·        DisneyXD (CA)

·        SyFy (US)

·        More coming soon…

Confidentiality Reminder: As part of the program it is also still important that you help us by keeping the details of the new applications that have not yet released within the guidelines of the Program Agreement and discuss them only in the Xbox Private Forums and/or by filing feedback via the Connect Portal.

Download/Reinstall Reminder:

As a member of the pre-release program you may experience some interesting download behavior if you have not yet updated your applications to the released version.  Please follow the steps below to make sure you have the latest, released version of our applications.

1. Navigate to Settings --> Storage and Delete all instances of the application

2. Reboot Console – the app will no longer show up in QuickPlay, My Apps, or Guide

3. Navigate to the Apps Hub or Apps Marketplace and redownload the application

4. The latest version will now show up in QuickPlay, MyApps, or Guide

I am downloading the Dailymotion app as i type!!

EDIT:and the 38mb is taking its sweet time disgust

EDIT:EDIT:I am liking it,it has a great 7 minute doc on Skywalker Ranch,no words/voice,just scenery of Skywalker ranch through the seasons,Imagine climbing those hills and still being on your land,gotta admit,i hate George Lucas even more now Tongue

I also watched a small news coverage of the new Mission Impossible film

i'm gonna be playing about with this for a while
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 01:21:44 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 08, 2011, 01:51:16 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on December 07, 2011, 10:02:40 PM

Horrible, un-untuitive interface now, and they removed the ability to see the dragon my avatar won from a game as well.

Sorta. You have to find yourself or a friend, do the 'jerk them to the front' thing and then press A to get their details... that's where the avatar will show up.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 08, 2011, 01:53:14 PM »

Quote from: Blackhawk on December 07, 2011, 03:50:20 AM

I'm not liking the new Netflix interface.  For one thing, Recently Watched is gone

It's still there for me. Netflix seems to have gone all Hulu when designing this interface.

-craig

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 08, 2011, 01:53:51 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on December 08, 2011, 01:51:16 PM

Sorta. You have to find yourself or a friend, do the 'jerk them to the front' thing and then press A to get their details... that's where the avatar will show up.

Aye, I figured that out - What about all the cool stuff people have bought over the years? I would be annoyed if I had paid money for it to showcase my avatar. I understand its a very very minor thing, but still, its annoying.

A new one
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: December 08, 2011, 02:24:36 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on December 08, 2011, 01:51:16 PM

Or, click on the green "Friends" tile on the far left. It brings up the same interface from the old dashboard with everyone from left to right.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: December 08, 2011, 02:25:17 PM »

Razgon, you've become quite the curmudgeon, you know that? Tongue

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 08, 2011, 02:55:36 PM »

Quote from: Purge on December 08, 2011, 02:25:17 PM

Razgon, you've become quite the curmudgeon, you know that? Tongue

haha, I'm getting old! Thats probably it ;-)

A new one
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 08, 2011, 03:02:04 PM »

While I don't particularly mind the new Netflix interface (though I'm not convinced I love it either), I don't like the new fast forward/rewind interface.  It used to show you a series of stills horizontally and scroll through them.  Made it easy to anticipate, for example, the end of the opening credits, and hit play at the right time.  The new interface pauses, brings up a small inset box, and then scrolls through a single still at a time in that box.  So you can't see the next frame and it's harder to hit play at the right time.  Even worse if you're using voice commands, because you have to anticipate even earlier to give the voice command.  frown

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: December 09, 2011, 03:38:18 AM »

I noticed the new Netflix app doesn't seem to always remember where you left off in an episode is you stop halfway though.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: December 09, 2011, 04:35:22 AM »

Quote from: Doopri on December 08, 2011, 12:03:28 AM

the problem is thinking you can avoid the sodomy aisle - of course once you walk in, you realize EVERY aisle is the sodomy aisle!  by then its too late!

and you can't turn your back on them because you don't want to give them a target.  which means you have to walk backwards, which leaves you vulnerable from the back. 

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 09, 2011, 05:38:06 AM »

Quote from: Caine on December 09, 2011, 04:35:22 AM

Quote from: Doopri on December 08, 2011, 12:03:28 AM

and you can't turn your back on them because you don't want to give them a target.  which means you have to walk backwards, which leaves you vulnerable from the back. 

Ugh, don't even mention Doopri's Target.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 11, 2011, 02:14:01 AM »

So how do you get the system to stop asking you where you want saves to go to every time a game starts. Its really annoying.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 11, 2011, 02:16:21 AM »

Quote from: Jumangi on December 11, 2011, 02:14:01 AM

So how do you get the system to stop asking you where you want saves to go to every time a game starts. Its really annoying.

fuck cloud off,that's what i did..then you just have the one memory(HDD)providing you haven't got a memory stick in icon_biggrin

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 11, 2011, 02:59:17 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on December 11, 2011, 02:16:21 AM

Quote from: Jumangi on December 11, 2011, 02:14:01 AM

fuck cloud off,that's what i did..then you just have the one memory(HDD)providing you haven't got a memory stick in icon_biggrin

Because their cloud storage looks just like another USB / MMU drive, it will always prompt you unless (perhaps) the game is setup to have a default device and then allows you to change it if needed. Too bad it wasn't setup like the PS3 where you still save locally and it can sync to the cloud behind the scenes automatically.

-craig

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 11, 2011, 04:22:58 AM »

There are reports that Youtube is now up for the beta users,but its having problems working fine now

i downloaded a new app today called Muzu.tv,which shows music videos ...it's pretty cool
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 10:47:53 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 12, 2011, 12:17:58 AM »

I downloaded the YouTube app this afternoon and have to say that it works really well.  The videos load very quickly, and both the audio and video quality are excellent. Videos that are available in HD have an 'HD' tag in the title and look great fullscreen on my 55" plasma.  I also really like that you can link the app on your xbox to your YouTube account to easily view your own posted videos, playlists, recommendations, and 'Watch Later' content.  Overall a very nice addition to the xbox icon_cool

I also downloaded the iHeartRadio app and gave it a shot...didn't spend a lot of time with it yet, but it does seem to be a very nice music streaming service.  The service is run by ClearChannel and gives you live streaming access to ClearChannel radio stations from all over the country with pretty good quality.  Most stations will give you the name and artist for songs that are playing, you can pull up lyrics for some songs, save the station to your favorites, or create custom stations based on an artist/song (similar to Pandora).  In addition to live radio content, there are a large number of streaming-only stations that are genre or artist based and remind me a lot of the type of content you'll find on Sirius/XM.  The audio quality of these streaming-only stations is as good as any I've heard from other services, if not a little better...not quite as good as playing my own mp3s through the same system, but still very good for streaming audio. 

The are a couple of minor downsides that I've come across, but I don't think they're a big deal.  First, there doesn't seem to be any function to skip or rate songs...have to put up with a song until it's over or you switch stations, and can't down-vote the bad ones like Pandora.  I can understand why this is the case for live radio, but it would be nice for user-created stations.  The service also requires you to create an account to get direct access to all the non-live stations and create custom stations.  Without an account, you can see all the music available, but you'll get a sign-up screen for a lot of thing (even though these same stations will play if you use the random 'scan' function).  Creating an account also gives you access to social networking features where you can share songs/stations via iHeartRadio and Facebook.  It does seem like a very solid service and one that I'll be playing with more.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 01:02:39 AM by disarm » Logged

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 12, 2011, 04:05:40 AM »

Am I imagining it, or has the visual quality of Netflix improved after the update. I had to download a new Netflix app after the new dashboard. I watched a few movies I'd previously viewed via Netfix 360, and all of them looked better.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 12, 2011, 04:07:51 AM »

Quote from: kronovan on December 12, 2011, 04:05:40 AM

Am I imagining it, or has the visual quality of Netflix improved after the update. I had to download a new Netflix app after the new dashboard. I watched a few movies I'd previously viewed via Netfix 360, and all of them looked better.

it seems to be crappy when a show/movie starts, but as it buffers it gets better.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: