http://gamingtrend.com
July 31, 2014, 12:27:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: It's that Time Again: GOTY So far?  (Read 2301 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: July 07, 2006, 12:45:28 PM »

The year's MORE than half over. What's your GOTY so far?

Two categories:

GOTY for games released in 2006

GOTY for games played in 2006 regardless of year

GOTY 2006

I haven't played that many releases from 2006-

PS2: None played

DS: New Super Mario Bros: A nostalgic hoot.

XBOX: None Played

GOTY: NSMB

GOTY Played in 2006

PS2: Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty. Hands down one of the best devised stories I've ever played in a game. Brilliant from start to finish.

DS: Kirby: Canvas Curse. Though I haven't finished it yet, it's just an amazingly well executed implementation of the DS's touchscreen capabilities.

XBOX: Panzer Dragoon Orta- The oldest game in my collection not to be played was marvelous on an epic scale.

GOTY: Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of liberty

Overall GOTY: [/b]

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2006, 12:59:23 PM »

This is easy for me, Oblivion, nothing else even comes close.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2006, 01:08:23 PM »

New in 06: Titan Quest
Played in 06: Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2006, 01:18:44 PM »

MLB '06: The Show - PSP

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Zimix

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2006, 01:28:10 PM »

I have spent the most time in Oblivion on my 360.  I would have to say that it gets my vote so far.

However, I am having a blast with Table Tennis.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2006, 01:28:38 PM »

Obilivion is the Current king as far as GOTY

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2006, 01:31:14 PM »

Probably Oblivion overall so far.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
warning

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2006, 01:59:59 PM »

Oblivion was fine but it felt watered down to me and didn't really have legs.

I pretty much loved Rise of Legends and played that obsessively for several weeks.

Daxter was great and joins the small list of platformers I actually finished.

If Steambot Chronicles continues with the bizarre, yet fun path it's currently on then it will probably be my game of the year so far.  I love something different and new and so far it's definitely been both.

As far as game I've played in 2006 I'm going with World of Warcraft again.  I'm Blizzard's bitch.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2006, 02:17:05 PM »

MLB'06: The Show - PS2

But Titan Quest is a hell of a good game also.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2006, 03:01:02 PM »

For consoles it would be Psychonauts, save the final levels. For PC it would be Space Rangers 2 hands down.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2006, 03:16:34 PM »

Burnout Revenge for the 360.  I know it's technically a 2005 title, but it was prettied-up for the 360 this year.  I've put 30 hours into it so far, which is very rare for me.  I start getting bored with most games at the 15-20 hour mark.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2006, 03:43:22 PM »

GOTY 1st half 2006

XBOX 360: Rockstar Games presents Table Tennis  Amazing sense of detail to the sport of table tennis.  Brilliant use of different characters, unlockables, great achievements, flawless online play, complete package for $40.

PS2 : Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence Incredible.  Not only do you get one of the best games ever made, you get a theatre to view all the movies, a bonus theatre with hilarious cinematics, a side-game, an online game - amazing package.  Incredibly captivating story, rivals (BEATS) motion picture stuff.  Must-purchase at $30.

XBOX: World Soccer Winning Eleven 9 Real football, not arcadey, and the more time you put into it, the more you appreciate it.  Online play is great (when you can find a game) and the fact that it's backwards compatible means every 360 footie-lover can play it.

PSP: (Loco Roco demo Tongue) Metal Gear Ac!d˛ Takes the gameplay from the first title and makes it more elegant and it makes a whole lot more SENSE.  Wacky story.  Great graphics for a PSP game and I just love all the MGS related stuff.  The Loco Roco demo is one of the best demo's I've ever played, so it's nominated.

DS: Tetris DS Good 'ol Tetris.  Different modes give soem fresh ideas, online play is fantastic.  Love the old-school music.

GBA: Drill Dozer So yeah, it's the only GBA game from 2006 I've played and I've only played the first level.  It was fun, though...

PC: Rise of Nations: Rise of Legends For an RTS game, this one held my attention for FAR longer than it should.  I hate RTS games (war3 the exception), but Rise of Legends is a very well made RTS game that even I, the RTS-hater, could appreciate.

Overall GOTY [/b]:

Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence No real contest.  Winning Eleven 9 and Table Tennis are high up there, but MGS3 is just so amazing that nothing could touch it for the rest of this year, I bet.

TheMissingLink on PSN
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2006, 03:49:35 PM »

Definitely too early because nothing really stands out.  I still need to play BFME2, though.

If I had to pick, I'd say GalCiv2 or Guild Wars: Factions at this point.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2006, 03:50:13 PM »

GOTY:  Titan Quest

Runner-up:  Oblivion
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2006, 05:40:08 PM »

I'm going to reuse ATB's format for my list too.  smile

GOTY 2006

PS2: Grandia III: It's the only 2006 PS2 game I've played. slywink Still a decent title in its own right, but not GOTY material.
DS: New Super Mario Bros: Great revisiting to Mario platforming fun. Sure, it's not evolutionary, but it's still nothing but pure fun and even a bit of a challenge at times. smile I expect Yoshi's Island 2 will be the evolutionary title.
360: Oblivion: I love this game, and will be playing it off and on for a long time to come
PC: Titan Quest: Holy $#@&ing shit!  This game rocks my underpants! biggrin
GOTY: Titan Quest

GOTY Played (but not released) in 2006

PS2: Guitar Hero Dragon Quest 8 would be here, but I got that in 2005, and was halfway through when January rolled around, so DQ8 is my 2005 GOTY for all platforms.  So, Guitar hero... Holy $#@&ing shit!  This game is fun!  FUUUUUN!
DS: Advance Wars DS I thoroughly enjoyed the campaign missions (not the story), and the war room has oodles of gameplay remaining
XBOX: Jade Empire The game has a bad rap, but I really quite enjoyed it aside from some dead spots in Chapter 3.
GameCube: Resident Evil 4 I finally got around to seriously focusing on playing through this once I finished DQ8, and man am I glad I did.  Fantastic, fun, tense, exciting game!
360: PGR3 Picked this up with my 360, and I love it. Can't wait for Forza 2 though! This was also my first online console experience, and it was great. smile
PC: Diablo 2 It never, ever gets old!
GOTY: Guitar Hero - Only because DQ8 is counting for 2005. slywink RE4 is a close runner-up here for me!

Overall GOTY: [/b]

Titan Quest - This is really shaping up well for me as a much-needed solid follow-up taking the torch from Diablo 2 in the hack-n-slash category.  Guitar Hero and NSMB are close competitors for me for this status right now.  FFXII, Zelda Wii/Cube, and Forza 2 could all give some serious competition for GOTY for me though.  The second half will be interesting to see how it plays out!

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2006, 06:57:36 PM »

2006? Isnt this too early to call? Or are you going July-July.

For me, the GOTY are

Need 4 Speed (360)
Psychonauts  (Xbox)

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2006, 07:10:32 PM »

My game of the year....................

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"
GOTY 1st half 2006

PS2 : Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence Incredible.  Not only do you get one of the best games ever made, you get a theatre to view all the movies, a bonus theatre with hilarious cinematics, a side-game, an online game - amazing package.  Incredibly captivating story, rivals (BEATS) motion picture stuff.  Must-purchase at $30.

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
depward

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2006, 07:47:33 PM »

GOTY 2006

PS2: Grandia III? Not much really qualifies here.  I would say Shadow Hearts: From the New World but I was quite disappointed with it.
DS: Ummm, when did Ouendan come out...
PSP: I would say either DJ MAX Portable (did that come out this year?  I believe so) or Monster Hunter Freedom
360: Burnout 360
PC: Eh, not sure - would like to play Titan Quest if not for the crashies

GOTY: (Yipes) DJ Max Portable

I haven't played anything that has just (borrowing Farscry's expression) rocked my underpants this year.  Though, with the enormous amount of releases later this year, I'm sure I'll have a real clear-cut GOTY.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2006, 08:14:14 PM »

I honestly cant think of anything that has blown me away yet for any system this year.

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2006, 08:49:00 PM »

2006 releases: Guitar Hero 2 supposed to come out this year right?

Prior releases first played in 2006: Guitar Hero

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
siege

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2006, 09:20:53 PM »

Quote from: "GatorFavre"
I honestly cant think of anything that has blown me away yet for any system this year.

Nothing for me either.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2006, 09:58:45 PM »

Released in 2006

Tie:  Oblivion and Tomb Raider: Legend.

Oblivion gave me many, many great hours but as seems to happen with all Elder Scrolls games it was as if someone hit a lightswitch on me after 60 or so hours and I just couldn't stand playing it anymore and likely won't touch it ever again which isn't really the final impression I would have asked for.

Tomb Raider, by contrast, is almost too short but aside from a few niggling issues was a great experience from start to finish.  I've already replayed it once and can see myself doing so again later.

Released before 2006 but played this year

Xenogears.  Loved it until the second disc where it really collapsed on itself.  Great cast of characters, excellent scenario design, and an almost lighthearted swashbuckling touch at times which was surprising considering the subject matter and the "weightier" approach taking by the devs on Xenosaga Episode 1.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2006, 10:04:36 PM »

No clear winner this year so far.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2006, 10:39:57 PM »

PC GOTY: Oblivion, but not overwhlemingly so.

PS2 GOTY: Crap! I'm still playing older titles that I missed!

Best PC Game played this year: Diablo 2.  Testament to Diablo 2: a few of you are naming the PC GOTY which is nothing but a well-executed clone.  D2 is the king.

Best PS2 game played this year:Disgaea.  

Overall best game played this year:  Ah, screw it.  Diablo 2.  Just stupefying how half a decade later, we are lauding a game for finally at least copying it right.

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2006, 11:09:52 PM »

Quote from: "Big Jake"
Best PC Game played this year: Diablo 2.  Testament to Diablo 2: a few of you are naming the PC GOTY which is nothing but a well-executed clone.  D2 is the king.

Overall best game played this year:  Ah, screw it.  Diablo 2.  Just stupefying how half a decade later, we are lauding a game for finally at least copying it right.

See my list, where I name my PC GOTY for a game released prior to 2006?

biggrin

Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2006, 11:50:08 PM »

It's a little early to say Titan Quest, but that's the only game released this year that had me really impatient to get home from work and play.

I finished DQVIII earlier in the year which would get a vote as GOTY completed in 2006.

Other nominees :

MLB:The Show [PS2]
Civ IV (was that this year or last?  I can't even remember.)
Gal Civ 2

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Kev199
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2006, 12:14:45 AM »

MLB: The Show (PS2)

The only other game I've played this year was Empire at War (PC).
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2006, 12:28:44 AM »

GOTY released 2006: Oblivion (360) - although I have the exact same reservations about it as Kevin.

Runner ups: MLB:The Show (PSP), Fight Night (360), GRAW (360), New Super Mario Bros (DS), Half Life:Ep1 (PC), Daxter (PSP)

GOTY played 2006: Dragon's Quest 8 (PS2) - probably the most fun I've had with a RPG since Skies of Arcadia on the Dreamcast

Runner ups: Lego Star Wars (PS2), MGS3 (PS2), Pikmin 2 (GC)

Lifetime Acheivement Award: after reading review after review stating that Titan's Quest was a pretty good Diablo 2 clone, but still not as good as the original I decided to reinstall D2 again for nostolgia purposes.   Fast forward a week, and I'm already at level 40 playing like its the year 2000 all over again...

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2006, 01:51:41 AM »

Quote from: "GatorFavre"

I thought you loved NSMB?

TheMissingLink on PSN
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2006, 02:49:13 AM »

Released in 2006: Titan Quest
Released prior: Psychonauts!

Honorable Mentions: Chronicles of Riddick (much better than I expected), Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, Half-Life 2: Episode 1

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2006, 05:09:12 AM »

Farscry, I gill full credit to you for having said it first.  I just figured it beared repeating that Diablo2 has been a singular landmark in gaming - no game that I can recall has so dominated it's own genre for so long.

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2006, 07:50:38 AM »

So I picked up Guitar Hero tonight... holy crap, I might have to change my original choice smile

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2006, 07:39:16 PM »

Quote from: "Big Jake"
I just figured it beared repeating that Diablo2 has been a singular landmark in gaming - no game that I can recall has so dominated it's own genre for so long.

I agree; I can't think of any other game that has epitomized a genre for six years running. biggrin

And despite all the times I've played it, I still have hard time stopping whenever I go to play it. slywink

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: