http://gamingtrend.com
April 23, 2014, 10:04:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: It's Thanksgiving. What's Your GOTY?  (Read 1479 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: November 23, 2011, 10:16:24 PM »

I have just three candidates that are worthy of consideration.

Mortal Kombat
Gears of War 3
Batman: Arkham City

While I haven't played Batman, I'm sure it will be a contender.  I'm bought it cheap at Amazon and set it aside for a Christmas present.  Not sure when I'll play it, but I'm sure I'll love it.

Never much of a fighting game fan, MK took me by surprise and I played the heck out of it. I'll definitely be heading back to it and I'd eventually like to see everyone's story conclusion.  Wonderful game and great funs with friends while it lasted.

GOTY: Gears of War III. The story does a great job of concluding the threads of the events that have taken place throughout the previous games and the novels.  Great MP. Incredible developer support. Stats galore. Awesome DLC delivered and more awesome DLC on the way.  Just a completely wonderful and wonderfully complete package.

Biggest Disappointment:

Modern Warfare 3/Battlefield 3.  Battlefield 3 was going to be my FPS for this year and allow me to stay away from COD for a year as I had no desire to play it at all. Sadly, my time with the beta left me totally deflated and completely uninterested.  Thus, I bought MW3.  IMO, it sucks from top to bottom.  The SP is overwhelmingly trite (to the point of stealing scenes wholesale from MW2) and the MP was an aggravating mish mash of lost iterative improvements and mots including all the frustrating things from MW2.  Huge step backwards from BLOPS.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 10:21:04 PM »

Had it come out any other year, my GOTY would have been Witcher 2, but that was before Skyrim. That will probably be my GOTY next year, too.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 10:41:20 PM »

So far, mine is El Shaddai:  Ascent of the Metatron.  It's the most creative game I've played in years and is probably the most visually stunning game since...well...ever.  Still working on Skyrim though, which might take it over.

Biggest disappointment for me (and I know I'll get crucified for these) would either be Deus Ex:  HR or Witcher 2.  Deus Ex was an exercise in sheer frustration for me.  For some reason, I could never get the hang of the stealth mechanics, so every single thing I tried to do ended up turning into a giant firefight.   I also found myself either overwhelmed by the sheer number of quests, or constantly trying figure out what the hell I was supposed to do next to advance them.  On The Witcher 2, I tried three separate times to get into into it, and basically just found myself utterly bored 3-4 hours in each time.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 10:44:16 PM »

Xenoblade Chronicles in a weak year for the Wii/3DS/DS.
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 10:50:19 PM »

Saints Row 3
Skyrim

Both awesome but each with their disappointments too.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 10:51:09 PM »

Skyrim is my GOTY without a doubt with Human Revolution as a close second and Portal 2 a close third.

Most of the year was just blahsville,  including Dead Island, inFaM0us 2, LA Noire, Saints Row the Third, Dead Space 2, WH40K Space Marine, Red Faction Armageddon, Homefront, Modern Warfare 3, Shadows of the Damned and more that aren't even important enough for me to remember.

As for disappointment of the year, it's a tie between Dragon Age 2, Witcher 2 and Arkham City. 

Someone might want to be ready to catch Leo for the next part:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Uncharted 3 didn't make the disappointment list because I had zero expectations for it, and it lived up to those expectations.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 10:53:00 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 10:52:13 PM »

Portal 2 and Red Orchestra 2 are the top two I can think of so far.  

I thought Portal 2 was going to be a cash-in on the popularity of the first, but they really did manage to keep it original, fresh, funny, and just as polished as the original.  Red Orchestra 2 took me by surprise.  People tossed around 'hardcore' a lot in describing its mechanics, but I think 'tactical' is more apt.  I'm far more interested in playing more RO2 than I am Battlefield 3 or Modern Warfare 3.

Speaking of which, BF3 and MW3 are my biggest disappointments of the year.  I thought BF3 would be my home, with MW3 as a backup in case BF3 didn't work out, but I have no interest in playing either.  Somehow both of these iterations sucked all the fun out of my favorite things to do in each series.  

Arkham City was a great game, but it didn't top the original the way I had hoped it would.  I'd call that a disappointment in the odd sense of "I'm disappointed it's only really good."

Haven't played Zelda yet, Skyrim is an amazing accomplishment but it's not my #1.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, 10:59:19 PM »

Forgot to give honorable mention to Dungeon Raid on iOS.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2011, 11:02:53 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on November 23, 2011, 10:59:19 PM

Forgot to give honorable mention to Dungeon Raid on iOS.

Feels like I've been playing DR forever, so I forgot it came out this year.  smile  I'd agree that it's the mobile GOTY, with King of Dragon Pass coming in a close 2nd.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2011, 11:08:11 PM »

CeeKay, you're crazy!!

With that said, I know it's shocking but my GOTY is Dead Space 2.  They took a game and universe that I loved and didn't disappoint with the sequel.  The story and setting were both fresh and interesting.  The new gameplay additions were awesome.  All around, it was a fantastic game.  I loved it.

A VERY CLOSE runner-up is Uncharted 3.  Still my favorite game series of all time.  I loved the game and couldn't put it down.  Looking back across the year, I think Dead Space 2 did more to advance the series.

Honorable mention goes to Space Marine.  They really set the stage for a great series and I hope they continue it.  I had a blast playing a single Space Marine after seeing them in the RTS setting.  Fun mix of melee and ranged combat, on-the-fly.  Really, really hope they keep this series going.

By biggest disappointment was Resistance 3.  It really looked like they had addressed the problems of R2 and gone back to the R1 formula, but it just wasn't fun.  I felt like I was doing work the entire time I played.

Honorable mention for disappointment goes to BF3.  I loved everything about BF:BC2, but BF3 feels like a step back.  I think it's the unlocks, they are so ridiculous and spaced out.  It really feels like grinding.  Also playing with random idiots who don't understand teamwork is really a pain.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2011, 11:39:05 PM »

My GOTY will probably end up being Skyrim, but I haven't really played enough yet to be sure, so I'll go with LA Noire.  I love games with unique settings, and the developers did an amazing job (re)creating a world with this game.  I also love detective stories, so this was pretty much a dream game for me.  I really hope Rockstar continues this series, as they seem to be settling into a modern-day rut with their other series.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2011, 11:43:05 PM »

Skyrim with the new Deus Ex right behind it.  While both have some issues and need tweaks they are head and shoulders above the majority of everything else that came out.
siege

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2011, 11:59:11 PM »

Super Mario Land 3D with Skyrim the runner-up. Havent played Zelda yet and Uncharted 3 was very disappointing. frown
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2011, 12:01:42 AM »

Gears 3 for the same reasons given by ATB.  SP, co-op, horde, beast mode, versus with good bots, good DLC.  It's just such a great overall package.

Runners Up:

-Batman AC.  I liked it better than AA.  It's right up there with Bioshock and Mass Effect 2 as one of my favorite single players of all time.  Awesome in every way.

-Skyrim.  I never got into Oblivion and Fallout 3.  But this is Bethesda's best work by far.  It may end up higher once I have played more.

-MW3.  For multiplayer only.  Maybe it is because I skipped BLOPS.  But I am loving this game.  I love the new kill lstreaks and how fast the leveling is. I hate snipers so I am loving how the maps are smaller than MW2.  It seems like I unlock something every other round I play.  Even though I am terrible at it I keep coming back for more.  I might actually make it to level 80.  Something I never would have predicted before the game came out.

Disappointments:

-Rage.  Every time I try to play it I burn out after an hour or so.  It feels like Borderlands minus what made Borderlands fun.

-LA Noire.  The interrogations got repetitive after a while and the gun play was typically bad for a non-Red Dead Rockstar game.  It seemed to go on forever until I finally just stopped playing it.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2011, 12:19:57 AM »

1. Demon Souls
2. Batman: AC
3. Skyrim (PC)

Honorable Mention is Saints Row 3

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2011, 12:22:10 AM »

Oh thanks for reminding me by bumping the thread, Blackjack.

Bastion wins best downloadable game, and gets honorable mention in the overall best game category.
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2011, 12:43:56 AM »

The Binding of Isaac. probably.
Torfish
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2011, 02:24:41 AM »

PC is Skyrim
PS3 is Dark Souls

Honorable mention is Rayman Origins for the PS3.  I freaking love the music in that game! 
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2011, 03:01:43 AM »

Probably going with Uncharted.  Maybe NHL 12.
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2011, 03:11:57 AM »

I'm enjoying Skyrim, but certainly don't care about the story or characters as much as in Witcher 2, and Dragon Age 2 was dissapointing. So I'm going to have to go with Witcher 2.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2011, 03:30:12 AM »

has to be Skyrim,loving it and just about 90hrs in,and still plenty to do,had a few bugs but i have to say its about half a dozen,which for a game this size is fucking amazing,i am sure at least from my POV its the least buggy Bethesda game out for a while

I think Battlefield 3 was my biggest disappointment,everyone knocks COD for being the same game every year,but BF3 brought pretty much nothing new to the table,and i got bored extremely quickly with it...at least MW3 had a shitload of new modes,i think BF3s new mode was team deathmatch,which was just horrible same as the single player campaign,absolutely dreadful

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2011, 03:56:24 AM »

I want to say Skyrim but I think my game id bugged so I will go with Batman: AC

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2011, 04:28:52 AM »

Portal 2, with Skyrim at 2nd and closing and NHL 12 rounding out the top three.

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2011, 07:16:24 AM »

The laaand of Skyyyyrriiiiiiim!! On the pc - best game ever... I have put in over 80 hours by now, and the best part? In 6 months, with the modding I can do it all over again. And again in 1 year, and in 2 years with the total conversions...sooo much goodiness!

Bastion is a close second - what an experience, simply a joyride of pure discovery and fun and mixed with a little bit of sadness - awesome story.

Deus EX HR - Loved it...it was everything a sequel to the original needed to be, so this will be my 3rd choice.

A new one
Mithridates

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2011, 01:17:44 PM »

Portal 2 for sure.  Played through twice and am itching for a third.  I've played several other enjoyable games this year, but I can't think of anything else that compares.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2011, 02:12:31 PM »

Some titles I'd like to bring up :

Dark Souls
L.A. Noire
Forza 4
Dirt 3
NHL 12
Stacking
Catherine
Rage
AssCreed Rev
Driver SF
From Dust
Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet
TDU2
Crysis 2
Outland
Bulletstorm
NFS Shift 2: Unleashed
RIFT
Skylanders
Starfox 64 3D
GoldenEye (re-release)
Gunstringer
Two Worlds II

Also, no Minecraft? I was totally expecting to see that one come up (since it officially came out this year IIRC). I'm not a fan, but I thought there was a significant Minecraft following here.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 02:21:53 PM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2011, 04:50:44 PM »

For its respecitive genre, Shogun II Total War has impressed me more than any other game. Of course there's many 2011 AAA titles I still haven't bought, so I'm sure Skyrim or Skyward Sword will eventually nudge it out.  slywink
KC

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2011, 06:26:36 PM »

Skyrim
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2011, 07:29:27 PM »

I'm still working through many of the games, I'll have a clearer picture in a month.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
brettmcd

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2011, 07:58:51 PM »

For me my game of the year is Orcs Must Die, bought it the day it came out and still play it at least a couple levels every day.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2011, 08:47:12 PM »

Loving Skyrim most right now, but I really enjoyed Batman AC 

played UC3 and while good, it didn't wow me like UC2 did.  LA Noire burned out before the end of the 2nd disc, ACR didn't live up to the high standard of ACB and DEHR was a victim of poor boss fights and unfortunate timing for me. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2011, 03:30:57 AM »

Quote from: brettmcd on November 24, 2011, 07:58:51 PM

For me my game of the year is Orcs Must Die, bought it the day it came out and still play it at least a couple levels every day.

Grabbed this yesterday, but don't want to start it until I'm finished with Skyrim.  So it might be a while.  smile

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2011, 04:12:52 AM »

Driver San Francisco I think is one of the most overlooked titles of the year.  Even the Zero Punctuation guy gave it a thumbs up.
Maggot
Gaming Trend Reader

Calculating Infinity

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2011, 08:34:49 AM »

For me it's going to be a hard choice between :

Battlefield 3
Witcher 2
Saints row 3
Limbo
Uncharted 3
Deus EX HR

A game I have yet to play a lot of is Anno 2070 which I think might end up on it too.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2011, 09:30:55 AM »

Honestly, it's very premature to award GOTY to any game right now. These things are naturally skewed towards recent releases that still are fresh. Let's get some distance from the games first. Right now Skyrim is probably going to win, but that may not be the case once it's been out a little longer and its warts become more obvious.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2011, 09:47:18 AM »

Candle extinguisher!

;-)

A new one
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2011, 10:25:40 AM »

Quote from: Purge on November 24, 2011, 02:12:31 PM

Also, no Minecraft? I was totally expecting to see that one come up (since it officially came out this year IIRC). I'm not a fan, but I thought there was a significant Minecraft following here.

i was considering that it had come out last year. but if it counts for 2011, then it's easily my GoTY.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2011, 12:47:54 PM »

FIFA 12 for me. 

There is a new online mode called "Online Seasons", which inmho is the most revolutionary new mode in any sports game.  That, and Teamplay with competent players is as amazing as ever.

Go Gunners...
Maggot
Gaming Trend Reader

Calculating Infinity

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2011, 02:15:03 PM »

Quote from: Eco-Logic on November 25, 2011, 12:47:54 PM

FIFA 12 for me.  

There is a new online mode called "Online Seasons", which inmho is the most revolutionary new mode in any sports game.  That, and Teamplay with competent players is as amazing as ever.

Fifa would have been on mine if it wasn't for the big brain farts EA had. Like letting the AI defend for the opponents online and not giving you a chance to change kit colours to avoid the exact same shirt online. Just terrible that they didn't catch that in QA
Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2011, 02:44:38 PM »

Dark Souls. There is nothing less and nothing more.

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: