http://gamingtrend.com
October 24, 2014, 01:46:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: It's starting to look like March might hurt the wallet pretty badly  (Read 1060 times)
Tebunker
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« on: January 02, 2007, 01:48:42 AM »

I was just looking over all the release lists from retailers and game sites, and it looks like we're going to have a relatively light January and February for all three Major consoles, with March having a bigger amount of game slated. Maybe some studios are trying to get stuff in for the Q4 financials. Pretty crazy.

Wii
January 17, 2007  Wario Ware: Smooth Moves      
February 2007    Bust-A-Move Bash!
February 2007    Sonic and the Secret Rings
March 2007    Mortal Kombat: Armageddon    
March 27th, 2007    Cooking Mama: Cook Off    
March 13, 2007    TMNT    
March 2007    Blitz: The League    
March 2007    Heatseeker    
March 2007    SSX Blur    
March 2007    Prince of Persia: Rival Swords    
March 2007    Medal of Honor Vanguard

Xbox 360
January 12, 2007        Lost Planet: Extreme Condition      
January 30, 2007    Battlestations: Midway
January 2007    Precursors, The    
Q1 2007    Sensible World of Soccer    
January 2007    Winning Eleven: Pro Evolution Soccer 2007
January 2007    NCAA March Madness 07
February 20, 2007    Crackdown    
February 27, 2007    Samurai Warriors 2 Empires
February 2007    Fuzion Frenzy 2       
Q1 2007    Forza Motorsport 2    
Q1 2007    John Woo Presents Stranglehold
Q1 2007    Captain Blood    
Spring 2007    Monster Madness: Battle for Suburbia    
Q1 2007    Bullet Witch    
Q1 2007    Culdcept Saga    
Q1 2007    Rapala Trophies
Q1 2007    Earth Defense Force 2017
March 30,2007    Fatal Inertia
Q1 2007    Major League Baseball 2K7    
Q1 2007    Dance Dance Revolution Universe    
Q1 2007    Half-Life 2    
March 2007    GTR    
Q1 2007    Mobile Ops: The One Year War
Q1 2007    Medal of Honor: Airborne
Q1 2007    Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway
Q1 2007    Guitar Hero II

PS3

January 30, 2007    Sonic the Hedgehog    
January 30, 2007    Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, The    
February 13, 2007    F.E.A.R.    
February 14, 2007    Bladestorm: The Hundred Years' War
February 14, 2007    Fatal Inertia
February 20, 2007    Virtua Fighter 5
February 27, 2007    MotorStorm
March 2007    Lair    
March 2007    Armored Core 4
March 2007    Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Double Agent    
March 2007    NBA Street Homecourt    Electronic Arts    
March 2007    Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas
March 2007    Virtua Tennis 3
March 2007    College Hoops 2K7
March 2007    Formula One Championship Edition
March 2007    Def Jam: Icon
March 2007    Heavenly Sword
March 2007    SingStar
March 5, 2007    Major League Baseball 2K7

I didn't include any of the downloadable games for any of the systems. If we get even a fraction of these titles by the end of march, 2007 is going to be huge for all three machines. Of course Nintendo has the smallest list once again. I think these aren't nearly complete, and of course not all of these games will make their dates, butI think it is indicative of how publishers weren't expecting too much from the Wii last year and weren't developing for it. Now that there are at least 4 dedicated Wii studios(EA has two, Buena Vista has one and Ubisoft has one) they should be able to get more third party support, but as you can see Nintendo is hurting through the first quarter in terms of regular game releases. I could forgive them  if Metroid hits by the end of March though.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 01:52:49 AM by Tebunker » Logged

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 02:02:33 AM »

Armored Core 4 is also listed as a Spring 2007 release for the 360.  Looks like my wallet gets to avoid the burden of a PS3 for at least the first quarter of 2007-  heck, it looks like my wallet will be unburdened alot as there's only 3 games on that list that I'm interested in for the period of time it covers.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 02:19:43 AM »

Quote from: Tebunker on January 02, 2007, 01:48:42 AM

Of course Nintendo has the smallest list once again. I think these aren't nearly complete, and of course not all of these games will make their dates, butI think it is indicative of how publishers weren't expecting too much from the Wii last year and weren't developing for it. Now that there are at least 4 dedicated Wii studios(EA has two, Buena Vista has one and Ubisoft has one) they should be able to get more third party support, but as you can see Nintendo is hurting through the first quarter in terms of regular game releases. I could forgive them  if Metroid hits by the end of March though.

I agree that some of the pubs got caught flatfooed by the Wii's seeming popularity but the first quarter release list just looks like a normal first quarter for a console.  Anyone remember 360's first quarter?  Full Auto and Fight Night 3 were pretty much the only releases in the first two months though March obviously picked up a lot with the holiday delayed GRAW and Oblivion.  If Nintendo manages to get Metroid out by March/April then I think it's about as well as could be expected for a first quarter.   And the PS3 list is similarly slim when you remove multiplatform stuff that obviously has been under development with the 360 as lead SKU for quite a while (and I don't expect Heavenly Sword to make first quarter). 
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 02:31:42 AM »

Actually there isn't much on those lists for any of the 3 consoles that I see as a must have with the exception of Lost Planet and Crackdown.  If Metroid doesn't come out before March my Wii is going to gather alot of dust.  Luckily I have a huge backlog to work through from this past fall.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 02:58:55 AM by denoginizer » Logged

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 02:43:44 AM »

What about the PS2?  I read it still has a pretty strong 2007 lineup as well.  The lineup for the Wii looks uhh, well, not stellar.

Oh, and why Guitar Hero 2 for the Xbox?  I read that Red Octane is working on Guitar Hero 3 for Christmas on the PS2.  Wonder what the reality of it all is?  I assume with a GIGANTIC installed base, the PS2 will get GH3, while the other systems might wait.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 02:50:23 AM by Kobra » Logged

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2007, 03:38:59 AM »

There's a bunch of reasons why the Wii doesn't have much of a lineup quite yet.

First, studios were waiting to see if the system would succeed in sales.  It's obvious that the Wii sold a lot his holiday season and will only sell more as word of mouth spreads amongst casual gamers.  For instance, after playing my system that I got for christmas, two members of my family plan to get Wiis.  Then some of my uncles friends came over, normally non-gamers, and they had so much fun with wii sports that they plan to get one.  So the install base is there and will only grow, studios and publishers will take notice of this.

Studios also need time to get used to the system's control scheme, with is very different than the current standard on consoles.  In order to get the best use a game needs to be made from the ground up to utilize this control scheme, otherwise it's too tacked on.  They also must realize that the Wii will have a larger install base of casual gamers who don't have the same kind of computer/gamer logic that we do.

I recall Nintendo is pretty restrictive about what games can be made for their system, too.  But the fact that some violent and mature games like Resident Evil have come out for the system means that either Nintendo is opening up a bit, or Capcom has a ton of bargaining power and Nintendo paid them a ton of money.

One saving grace is that since games for the Wii can't be that graphically intense, it means more stylization, which can lead to faster development times since the studio doesn't have to make everything realistic.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2007, 03:50:25 AM »

Quote from: turtle
I recall Nintendo is pretty restrictive about what games can be made for their system, too.  But the fact that some violent and mature games like Resident Evil have come out for the system means that either Nintendo is opening up a bit, or Capcom has a ton of bargaining power and Nintendo paid them a ton of money.

This is one thing, unfortunately, that has changed with Nintendo, they used to have fairly tight quality control over all games published on their systems, it seems like any half assed port can be published on a Nintendo console now. Nintendo hasn't been against violent or mature content for the past 10 years, it's just that not many companies publish/ed those kind of titles on their systems because of the image they set with the SNES. The N64 had a good amount of violent/mature games, as did the Cube. They didn't sell as well, and they weren't really well done for the most part. I have no worry about seeing those kind of games on the Wii, Red Steel is a perfect example.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2007, 04:14:18 AM »

Lair and Heavenly Sword FTW!

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2007, 05:32:46 AM »

To me it doesn't seem like it's Nintendo that is restricting companies from putting out mature games, it's just that there isn't much of a market for them. Eternal Darkness was probably the first real mature game on the Cube and it bombed hard. Resident Evil, on the other hand, is such a strong brand that it probably sold systems. Hell, it's what made me buy a GC.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Old Negus

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2007, 05:47:13 PM »

I had no idea Virtua Tennis 3 was in development! And it's coming out for the 360 too, but not until Q2 I guess. I'm very excited about this.
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2007, 05:52:25 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on January 02, 2007, 05:32:46 AM

To me it doesn't seem like it's Nintendo that is restricting companies from putting out mature games, it's just that there isn't much of a market for them. Eternal Darkness was probably the first real mature game on the Cube and it bombed hard. Resident Evil, on the other hand, is such a strong brand that it probably sold systems. Hell, it's what made me buy a GC.

Nintendo has a huge market for shit like "Ice Age" or "Nick Toons Orgy" and other stuff.  Its one of the reasons that is turning this household AWAY from Nintendo product lines. How much of the cutsey asian cooking mama type shit can you take before it wears on you?   I will say the dark, surreal, sometimes violent nature of most PS2 games is a breath of fresh air around here.  The cube library here has started to be resolved down to all of the mario/zelda based games and that is all, the kids love Mario/zelda stuff, but find the other cutesy stuff pretty weak.

I am in no hurry to jump on board the Cube1.3 train, we don't need more of it, we need less, and given the lack of a clearly defined performance upgrade, I don't see it happening anytime soon for us.

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2007, 06:55:26 PM »

There actually was a semi-decent amount of adult-oriented games for the Cube.  Eternal Darkness, which is in my top 3 horror games of all time, RE4, Killer 7, Second Sight, the Prince of Persia games, and the Metroid games were all ones that I'd say were aimed at an older audience.  The makers of Killer 7 have already confirmed that they're doing an exclusive for the Wii.

Granted, I'm not saying that there were a ton of "mature" games on the GC, but it wasn't all Poke-bunny-pop stuff on the Cube, and if the Wii installed base continues to grow, there will certainly be more apperaing on that system too.

fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2007, 08:05:13 PM »

Quote from: Tebunker on January 02, 2007, 01:48:42 AM

Xbox 360
January 2007    Winning Eleven: Pro Evolution Soccer 2007
Q1 2007    Forza Motorsport 2    
Spring 2007    Monster Madness: Battle for Suburbia    
Q1 2007    Culdcept Saga    
Q1 2007    Major League Baseball 2K7    
Q1 2007    Guitar Hero II

All of these could end up being buys for me. Blue Dragon too.

XBox Live ID: fyedaddy

"I give up - Go with the DS. It's far better."
"Nintendo is King, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong."
 --Devil
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2007, 09:44:50 PM »

I was really looking forward to getting Armored Core 4, but the few reviews I've seen have slammed it for its horrible control system and cluncky battlefield gameplay. One question about the graphics for you Playstation owners, however. In one review the writer states:

...[the graphics problem] is hideously obvious on a HDTV where in 720p the textures look almost PS2 quality, the buildings and world present themselves in true low poly fashion, and the jaggy-fest is never-ending. On the plus side of things, the Mechs are incredibly detailed and seem to be where all the visual processing power were put to use. Also, the effects are some of the best Iíve ever seen. From the explosions to the jets on the back of a Mech, to the tails of the missiles it all looks incredibly good. So there are some serious high points and some serious low points that when put together ultimately make the game feel like a late-gen PS2 effort.

Now, unless I'm mistaken this isn't a problem with the PS3 scaling, correct? The scaling problem refers to 1080i downscaling to 480 if your set doesn't support 720P. Do I have that right? So Armored Core 4 has poor controls, cluncky gameply and last-gen graphics for the environments. I really wanted to get this game for the PS3 or 360, but it looks like From Software dropped the ball again.

The Precursors for the 360 is billed as an FPS/RPG ala Deus Ex or System Shock. The trailer looks interesting, but it really doesn't show many gameplay elements outside of the run-and-gun variety. I'll keep my eye on it, however. I definitely don't expect it to see a January release.

http://xboxmovies.teamxbox.com/xbox-360/3821/The-Precursors-Trailer/
« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 09:59:42 PM by Dante Rising » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: