http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 10:16:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: It's ok Doom 3, I love you  (Read 1553 times)
Rhiz8
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: July 22, 2008, 10:54:21 AM »

So I don't really post. I usually just pop some Jiffy pop and peruse the R&P forum for some late-night laughs, but I was reminded of this story last night. I have this remarkably impressionable friend who bought Doom 3 with me on launch day and we both played through it from our respective homes and conversed on its quality. He loved it a couple hours in and raved about how much he loved it. Then he checked out what some other people were saying and suddenly he was just ranting over darkness and lack of flashlight/gun love and spawning and all kinds of whatever. Gaming boards are really hazardous to this guy's health and opinions. (This isn't some psychological thing in which I'm really talking about me, I really do have this friend.) Anyway, I finished the game even though he didn't and I loved every second. Yes, it's dark. Very, very dark. I wasn't under the impression that a half-underground Martian complex with major power fluctuations was supposed to be lit up like the MGM Grand. Yes, not being able to have a flashlight and gun at the same time was very annoying (more on that later). And yes, when I heard the pistol fire sound effect, I laughed. But I went through because I loved the atmosphere, the story had neat Hell/supernatural elements which I'm a sucker for, and it looked damn good.

Later on, I found two things that made the experience much better. First, a flashlight/gun mod. There, problem solved. Second, replacement sound effect files. Now the pistol sounded like a magnum, so there you go. The point of this is I think Doom 3 is a fantastic game for sci-fi, horror, and shooter fans. If anyone hasn't finished or has been on the fence, I encourage you to snag these mods and give it another go. Don't think of the darkness as a problem, think of it as contextual to the situation and a hurdle the protagonist would have to face in his world.

Things could always be worse; they could've based it on the movie.

Ok, that's my post of the year.
The Rocketman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 11:06:18 AM »

And here's my post:
DOwnload the cooperative-mod that's out, and play through the game with your friend. That way, you can hold his flashlight for him smile
warning
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 11:50:50 AM »

I played a bit of it last year (with the flashlight mod of course) and it wasn't as bad as I'd heard it was.  The graphics looked great and the atmosphere was really creepy.  I just grew tired of the "walk into a room and the lights flicker out and monsters suddenly appear" mechanic they used over and over.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 02:36:49 PM »

Quote from: warning on July 22, 2008, 11:50:50 AM

I played a bit of it last year (with the flashlight mod of course) and it wasn't as bad as I'd heard it was.  The graphics looked great and the atmosphere was really creepy.  I just grew tired of the "walk into a room and the lights flicker out and monsters suddenly appear" mechanic they used over and over.

at least you could move and shoot when teh zombies came for you.

and that's my one post for the year  icon_wink

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 02:40:30 PM »

I really enjoyed D3 even with the spawn behind you BS.  I didn't find the flashlight game mechanic to be crappy.  I did however mod my config files so that the muzzle flashes reached further in the room and illuminated creatures further away.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 02:43:17 PM »

The descent into hell was one of the best levels of any game to date. Truly worth struggling through the fancy "find the blue key" gameplay.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 03:18:53 PM »

The game was just woefully sort of any type of interesting variety in level design, enemies, or gameplay.  I enjoyed the first few hours but then just got bored of it.  Quake 4 was a much superior game IMO. 
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 03:29:40 PM »

Quote from: warning
I just grew tired of the "walk into a room and the lights flicker out and monsters suddenly appear" mechanic they used over and over.

Ditto.  I could live with the flashlight mechanic and all the darkness, but the tiny, cramped environments and ubiquitous Monster Closets got old within the first couple hours.

By comparison, many people disliked F.E.A.R. for its repetitive warehouse -> office -> warehouse environments, but areas were always designed to make the most of an AI that knew how to create cover, lay down suppressive fire, and try to flank your position.  Combine that with a much more acute sense of how to build spooky tension, and I enjoyed that game all the way through.

(I got terribly bored with the Extraction Point expansion pack, though.  The fact that it was developed by a totally different team was apparent right away. icon_confused)

I have pretty high hopes for Project Origin!

-Autistic Angel
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 03:49:50 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on July 22, 2008, 03:18:53 PM

The game was just woefully sort of any type of interesting variety in level design, enemies, or gameplay.  I enjoyed the first few hours but then just got bored of it.

same here.  I ended up playing the rest of Doom 3 in god mode just to see if it got anymore interesting.  it didn't.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 04:28:08 PM »

Quote from: The Rocketman on July 22, 2008, 11:06:18 AM

And here's my post:
DOwnload the cooperative-mod that's out, and play through the game with your friend. That way, you can hold his flashlight for him smile

They made a co-op mod? That almost sounds like fun. Is it 'net playable, or only LAN?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2008, 05:57:21 PM »

The bitching about the darkness was so overdone, given that there were many areas where the darkness didn't come into play.  The tight spaces with NO open rooms, and the rinse/repeat cycle of spawning killed this game, imo.  Now that FPS' have gotten to the point where enemies aren't specifically <be right here to attack the player>, but able to go about there/it's schedule or be in understandable places, there's just no going back to that type of gaming, unless you go the Serious Sam route and be over the top with it.

AA, Extraction Point was tolerable.  Did you try Perseus Mandate?  icon_twisted
I cannot wait for Project Origin to come out.

My big question is, how will Rage (the next id shooter) be received?  Will id FINALLY get into the modern age of shooters, or will they be putting Doom3+ up against Half Life 3? (And no, I did NOT mean Episode 3, I MEANT HL3)

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2008, 06:20:22 PM »

If you haven't played the expansion I recommend it. I liked it better than the main game. Yes it is more of the same, but the levels are more varied throughout the expansion.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2008, 07:19:17 PM »

I'm with a few others here in that I didn't think it was a bad game at all. In fact I really enjoyed it as it felt like I was going through a funhouse - odd sounds startling you, monsters popping out at you from the darkness. Great stuff. Very few games actually put me on edge and this one certainly did. By the time the pink daemon came crashing through the glass I was totally engrossed which made that particular gaming moment stand out for me.

The flashlight mechanic never bothered me either. I thought it was neat idea that you had to make the trade off of either fending off the darkness or defending your self. It made for some really hectic moments.

So for me I never understood the complaints being so one sided on this game.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2008, 07:39:19 PM »

After the first few rooms I became aware of when something was going to pop out at me. Id reload my guns and creep up till it spawned then kill and move on. I hated the darkness and that closet spawn crap. It was really not DOOM 3 to me anyways..it didn't support co-op play like the first two did. thats what made DOOM great.

Quake 4 was a much better game.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2008, 08:30:41 PM »

yup, first few hours fan here.  i think i played up until the lost souls started appearing and then dropped out of boredom and repetitiveness.  the player interface was pretty cool though.  no more 'E' to do stuff, just walk up, lower your gun and the mouse controlled your actions.  i wish this was standard in action fps games. 

warning

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2008, 08:48:03 PM »

I really thought Painkiller captured the classic Doom gameplay mechanic a lot better than Doom 3 did.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2008, 04:47:04 AM »

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2008, 05:54:09 AM »

lolz

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
The Rocketman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2008, 10:54:42 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on July 22, 2008, 04:28:08 PM

Quote from: The Rocketman on July 22, 2008, 11:06:18 AM

And here's my post:

They made a co-op mod? That almost sounds like fun. Is it 'net playable, or only LAN?

I think it's this one:
http://lms.d3files.com/

(I just played it cooperatively on xbox, which was fun, but not as good as Halo... However I had 2 very small tv's, and there was beer involved, so that might have influenced it a little bit.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: