http://gamingtrend.com
July 22, 2014, 09:41:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: It's November 14, 2013. What's your Franchise/Game of the Generation?  (Read 642 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: November 14, 2013, 11:52:24 AM »

Well, this is it.

If you boil down the last 8 or so years into a single franchise, what would it be?  It can be a franchise that you played the most, love the best for story or graphics, or was the best representative of the the PS3/360 era...

My candidates:

Gears of War
Mass Effect
Call of Duty
Uncharted
Bioshock
Batman Games

I immediately have to toss out Uncharted and Batman as I did not play the full series this gen and doubt I will. The first Batman Arkham Asylum was an obsession of mine for a while, but Arkham City never grabbed me and I only got about 4 hours in

Uncharted one was SO overrated. Uncharted 2 was sublime, but had one of the stupidest final thirds of a game I've ever played.  Never played 3.

Bioshock is also eliminated because I never finished Bioshock 2 and Bioshock Infinite is just not. that. great.  The original though, was a revelation in story telling and twist endings.

COD which if I added up all my time, is by far the leader in total time played.  Enough has been said about how COD 4 revolutionized gaming, but I got burn out and skipped a few years because of too much sameness.

So that leaves Gears and Mass Effect.

I think what was achieved in Mass Effect over three games was unbelievable. They successfully created a whole new sci-fi universe that was incredibly deep and engaging.  Being able to customize your Shepherd and make choices that impacted the story over THREE GAMES, was an amazing achievement and should be what anyone planning a trilogy incorporates moving forward.   Mass Effect 1 was not superb, but was a very good game.  Mass Effect 2, if it is not my outright GOTG, it is co-winner.  Mass Effect 3 got dumped on a lot, but it was a phenomenal game and did an admirable job of closing out the series.

While GRAW2 got me into MultiPlayer, Gears one made me a multiplayer gamer.   I remember playing with PeteRock, Beer Goggles, Calvin and others right after I got my 360 and just being amazed and how it all fit together.

On top of that add that it's post apocalyptic, has incredibly memorable characters, great game play, and graphics that are showcase worthy and it's the complete package.  Gears 2 was fun from an SP perspective but the MP never grabbed me and I went dormant with the series.  Gears 3, however, is the culmination of the series and the generation.  It's a great example of level design, character development, drama, and effective story resolution. And the MP is the best of any game I've ever played.  Add on top of this, books that are surprisingly well written (Karen Traviss is an actual author, not some software guy trying to be one) that do an excellent job of rounding out the characters and you have the full franchise experience.  (Ignore the 4th gears game. I actually can't remember what it's called...)

So Gears takes the franchise of the generation.

GOTG is a Tie: Gears 3 and Mass Effect 2.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 11:54:01 AM by ATB » Logged
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 12:04:33 PM »

In my household there is a clear winner - Mass Effect.

I think my GF has played the games combined for about 150 hours or so, and I have about the same time put into the games.

We are eagerly awaiting the next series in the franchise!

A new one
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 12:08:31 PM »

I don't really like picking favorites as these games are so different. They each scratch a different itch. Nevertheless, if I had to pick one franchise that I felt had great impact on my gaming experiences, it would have to be Uncharted. It's a game series that just works, in everything from basic gameplay to storytelling and acting. These are the only games I've found myself striving to reach Platinum trophies in while still enjoying the games.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 12:14:57 PM »

This is a tough one.

immeadiately the two series that come to mind are Uncharted and Mass Effect.

Mass Effect 1,2, and 3/4 of part 3 are masterful. It's just that damn ending that blows the series for me.

Uncharted 1 was ground breaking at the time it was released, 2 was a good follow up, but 3 didn't really do anything to improve on the formula and it got stale. On top of that Tomb Raider came out and beat Uncharted at its own game.

So I guess I would give it to Mass Effect for having 2 and 3/4 of really awesome games.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 12:25:19 PM »

Uncharted

or COD. 

Yes yes I know....but I've spent nearly every holiday season getting destroyed by Hark and teabagged by Kato.   At this point it's part of the holiday tradition starting in November.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 12:26:19 PM »

I guess it would have to go to Uncharted for me because I've been able to finish all three of the games that I played (1,2 and Vita). I also finished Fallout 3 so that's up there. Basically if a game is good enough for me to play to completion then it's  pretty damned good game.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 01:11:09 PM »

Gears of War  ---  Dom passing still resonates with me

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 01:26:28 PM »

Portal.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2013, 01:30:23 PM »

The Mass Effect series, with the Bioshock series second.  Ten years from now, it's moments from these games that I'll still remember.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2013, 01:33:45 PM »

Forza series, Elder Scrolls (Oblivion and Skyrim), GTA 4 and 5, and of course the Halo series are all worth mentioning, though they all had their failings too.

God of War III and Uncharted 3 went mostly unplayed - they failed to capture my attention for long. Crackdown was fantastic, and while Crackdown 2 had some really neat additions, the honeymoon period ended abruptly (for me). Prototype followed in similar fashion - the first was far better than the second. Hrm... so did iNfamous, though it's second outing was far stronger than the other two. Pattern? Yep - Just Cause 2 breaks that stigma though - the second is way better than the first. I *WISH* RDR had a sequel to compare it to.

Final *yawn* Fantasy XXBLIIVDXX? No. Go Away. In fact, my RPG experiences have been less than what they were in previous generations. Even Mass Effect 1-3 are only 50% done in my house - I have them on PC and keep meaning to go back to ME2 to work through it. Very Bioware, very formulaic, but still well presented and fun. I got 3/4 of the way through Enchanted Arms, but the game fell off for me when they tossed me into an open world and generally directionless. Lost Odyssey fared no better in my life - I never completed either (and actually, I might be getting the two mixed up slywink)

Assassin's Creed series was much loved (besides Revelations - that one stunk up the livingroom with Ben Gay and Gold Bond), but all in all they really captured my attention.

I'd have to say Borderlands 1 and 2 come close to the top of my list, but the grind holds it back. Diablo III for mostly the same reasons, and Starcraft II is still a maybe 2/3 done game as well. God help me find where my savegame is ... cuz I don't want to retread it.

Bayonetta, DMC4 and the new DMC deserved to be mentioned, as does Castlevania : Lords of Shadow and the Batman: Arkham series.

On the shooter side, I'm looking at the Tom Clancy offerings, and Rainbow Six Vegas was fantastic. it's followup wasn't bad either, but it felt like it overstayed it's welcome. GRAW and GRAW2 were also great - and the latest Splinter Cell seems to have recaptured some of the magic of the first few games though the series wasn't nearly as strong as it could have been. Gears of War was a great game - it's followups were ... alright, I guess? Portal and Portal 2 are also games I really enjoyed, as were some of Koei's annual 'Warriors games - but that one is a guilty pleasure.

The smaller games - ones like Bastion, Limbo, Braid (before the ending where it barfed on itself) and Castle Crashers, along with Flower and Journey are all contenders to a lesser extent. So is Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet. Mark of the Ninja is also a great game, and I'm still working my way through the game where you go from blue to red - Outland maybe?

Then there is the Transformers Cybertron series - the multiplayer didn't hold me (though it got more playtime than any AssCreed mp modes).

But for me, it's about my time with friends. Foreign beer night, singing off key and pounding on plastic instruments win!

Thank you Harmonix. Thank you for the Rock Band series.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 01:35:52 PM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2013, 01:37:41 PM »

In terms of franchises, I'd rank:

Assassin's Creed
Mass Effect
Bioshock

... in that order.  If it weren't for the ending of ME3, it would have easily been the FOTG for me.
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2013, 02:21:07 PM »

In terms of "Hours played" this generation for me has been all about

AssCreed Series
GTA IV/V
Call of Duty/Battlefield
NHL series (08-14)
Batman Series
Rock Band series

I can't pick one because each game/series above is such a different genre. Well maybe not Batman/AssCreed, but they felt like different games to me.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2013, 02:22:06 PM »

Easily Uncharted and your opinions on the series make your opinions null and void and that's that!

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2013, 02:23:58 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on November 14, 2013, 02:22:06 PM

Easily Uncharted and your opinions on the series make your opinions null and void and that's that!

I didn't have any attachment to 1 or 2, so when I got 3, it was just meh.

Same as anyone picking up Halo ODST etc.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2013, 02:25:40 PM »

Quote from: Purge on November 14, 2013, 02:23:58 PM

No attachment to 2? You have no soul!

Spoiler for Hiden:
full disclosure I don't believe in souls

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2013, 02:26:59 PM »

Uncharted without question!

EDIT:  I'd add my runner up as Dead Space.  Never before have I gotten into the story of a franchise before.  I mean anime, graphic novels, books.  I was searching wikis on Unitology to decipher phrases in the games.  Really makes it fun when there's a ton of story to go along with a game
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 02:33:06 PM by leo8877 » Logged
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2013, 02:28:27 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on November 14, 2013, 02:25:40 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

No attachment since I didn't play them. LTTP, my friend.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2013, 02:29:33 PM »

Mass Effect was such a great surprise this generation, and they really managed to pull off the "your decisions matter" aspect.  I loved how much the games could make me sweat over a single dialogue tree choice because the effects could be so large and long-lasting.

Rock Band.  Wow.  What a ride.  Also the sole reason I can't fathom selling my 360: it's about to become my dedicated Rock Band machine.

I can't choose between the top two, but Rock Band may get the edge because it gave me great experiences and memories with actual human being friends, rather than just me alone.

Honorable mention goes to The Little Guys as a 'franchise, like Bastion, Limbo, Braid, Castle Crashers
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2013, 02:29:53 PM »

Quote from: Purge on November 14, 2013, 02:28:27 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

Oh man, you have to rectify that pronto!
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2013, 02:32:10 PM »

The Souls games takes this I think.  Dark Souls/Demon's Souls.  Other standouts were the Mass Effect  and Batman Arkham games, and though not part of a franchise Red Dead Redemption.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2013, 02:35:30 PM »

Quote from: Purge on November 14, 2013, 02:28:27 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

What? What? WHAT?

By the way, you do know my original comment was directed at ATB?

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2013, 02:52:35 PM »

Forza, CoD and Rock Band.  All three kinda revolutionized how I played games.  Each of the three has a very special place in my gaming history.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2013, 02:59:09 PM »

Extremely easy.

Uncharted
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2013, 03:04:05 PM »

Yeah I can't think of anything that comes close to Uncharted. Rock Band is in second place.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2013, 04:16:11 PM »

Quote from: Laner on November 14, 2013, 01:37:41 PM

In terms of franchises, I'd rank:

Assassin's Creed
Mass Effect
Bioshock

... in that order.  If it weren't for the ending of ME3, it would have easily been the FOTG for me.

Can't believe I forgot Fallout 3/New Vegas.  Potentially a contender for #1.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2013, 04:22:04 PM »

Guess I have no soul.  I loved Uncharted.  2 was OK until the last quarter of the game - at that point I just wanted it to be done. 

You may commence the throwing of stones.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2013, 04:40:24 PM »

<plunk>

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2013, 04:47:03 PM »

I played the demo for 2 - the fact that "bad guys" in "tank tops" could take direct hits from "crazy-ass-assault-rifles" and go through more magazines than an unwatched toddler broke my interest to go back. So I went forward, and was bored.

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2013, 04:49:52 PM »

My franchises of the Generation:

Uncharted
Mass Effect
Assassins Creed
Rock Band

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2013, 05:04:49 PM »

even though the wheels have come off a little in the last two games, AssCreed still has given me lots of fun games that got better with each iteration until Rev and AC3.  runner up for me would be the ME series for their universe building, even though the rough spots will drag down each game from the top rung.  both GTA games (and RDR for it's unique take) as nobody does open world like R* does.  SR comes close but detoured out into crazy land a long time ago. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2013, 05:58:51 PM »

Quote from: ATB on November 14, 2013, 11:52:24 AM

Uncharted one was SO overrated. Uncharted 2 was sublime, but had one of the stupidest final thirds of a game I've ever played.  Never played 3.

this, but I played 3 and didn't like it.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2013, 05:59:30 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on November 14, 2013, 12:04:33 PM

In my household there is a clear winner - Mass Effect.

if they had only done 1 I'd say sure, but the did 2 and 3, so I can't say that biggrin

Because I can,
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2013, 05:59:59 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 14, 2013, 05:58:51 PM

Uncharted one was SO overrated. Uncharted 2 was sublime, but had one of the stupidest final thirds of a game I've ever played.  Never played 3.

No.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2013, 06:00:12 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on November 14, 2013, 12:25:19 PM

or COD. 

out of all of them this could be close to my choice.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2013, 06:00:44 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 14, 2013, 05:59:59 PM

No.

yes.  hug your Nathan Blake man pillow and deal with it biggrin

Because I can,
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2013, 06:07:22 PM »

For franchises, I'd go with Mass Effect in the #1 spot, followed by Rock Band, then Bioshock. 

If I were to pick my top 5 individual games, I'd likely go with:
1.  Tomb Raider (the new one)
2.  ME2
3.  Rock Band 2
4.  Nier
5.  Bioshock

I tried all the Uncharted games, and came away 'meh' all around.  Just not my thing, I guess.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2013, 06:25:21 PM »

I guess I tend not to play or really enjoy a lot of the same games you guys do.   icon_neutral

For pure enjoyment and time spent I'd say that the Saints Row series is up there for me.

And then the Just Cause games.

And Crackdown for proving that open world super powers are about the best thing ever.

And what about Skyrim?  I spent a ton of time in that.

Oh, and then Battlefiled, especially Bad Company 2 for me.

I figure the fact that I played most of these on the PC doesn't mean they weren't part of "this generation" of games.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2013, 06:27:13 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on November 14, 2013, 06:25:21 PM

Oh, and then Battlefiled, especially Bad Company 2 for me.

ah yes, that hell of a level that is the Cubicle Trenches.

Because I can,
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2013, 06:51:26 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 14, 2013, 06:00:44 PM

Quote from: leo8877 on November 14, 2013, 05:59:59 PM

No.

yes.  hug your Nathan Blake man pillow and deal with it biggrin

crybaby

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2013, 07:17:31 PM »

Just Cause is a contender.

Because I can,
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: