http://gamingtrend.com
August 27, 2014, 01:30:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: It's May. What Are the Best Games You've Played So Far This Year (All Platforms)  (Read 2874 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: May 13, 2007, 11:56:13 PM »

Regardless of year released or platform, what are the best games you've played in 2007 thus far?

The game I just finished and the reason for this thread is GRAW2 .  I completed the SP and it is by far the best game I've played this year.  The visuals are significantly improved over the orginal and I'd say it's the best looking game I've played on 360 next to Gears of War.  I thought the map design and engagements of this game are some of the best I've ever played in a 3rd person shooter and I enjoyed it from start to finish. I wish I hadn't started on the hardest difficulty so that I had reason to play through it again (I lead all of the folks on my friends list right now)...But there are still the co-op maps and quick missions.  Bravo.  Calvin was right! He was riiiiiight!: A+ (original GRAW A-)

Catan, from XBLA, is also a great deal of fun. It's complicated enough to require strategy and thought but not so involved that it stresses you to play it.  Very laid back and conducive to idle chatter. I've played about 10 games and right now it's a solid B+ title.

PuzzleQuest: Challenge of the Warlords on the DS. This game has taken GT by storm and that's because it's one of the most addictive games out.  It has some annoyances like some glitches and it has gotten repetitive to me (level 25), but I plan to see it all the way through to completion.  Right now it's also a solid B+ for me.

biggercup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 12:00:20 AM »

I haven't play many games this year, but so far Puzzle Quest on PSP and God of War 2 on PS2 is top of my list.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 12:40:06 AM »

My list so far in no order:

PS3: God of War 2. Yeah, it's a PS2 title, but I don't have my PS2 anymore to actually play it on, so it goes here. smile
If I had to choose an actual PS3 title though, it would be Virtua Fighter 5. Awesome fighter I really should spend more time with.

360: Crackdown. Fantastic title all around, and the added content only makes it better.

Wii: Uh... To be honest, I haven't played a single Wii title on my Wii this year (as I beat Zelda before the end of the year when it launched in November). Really sad when you look at it.

PSP: Puzzle Quest. Awesome Bejeweled clone.

DS: Pokemon Pearl. Yeah, there's nothing truly new here in the latest 'gotta catch them all' game, but its also been a decade since I last played a Pokemon game, so it seems all new to me.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 12:40:55 AM »

Crackdown on the 360 and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. on the PC.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 12:50:45 AM »

Probably have to go with Crackdown
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2007, 12:52:08 AM »

I forgot to list The Godfather on the Wii.  I'm having more fun with it than I did with the PC version.

Because I can,
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2007, 01:02:18 AM »

I really enjoyed Marvel Ultimate Alliance (360).  Not sure when it came out, but I played it this year.

I only played a handfull of games on the PC.  Titan Quest: Immortal Throne logged more hours than any other, but I got so fed up with it at the end that I find it hard to call it the best game I played.

On the DS, Puzzle Quest has been the clear winner for console time.  It doesn't track time played, but I'd have to guess it's over 80 hours.  That's a ton for me.  And I'm still playing (I'm oh so close to finishing it).

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2007, 01:15:38 AM »

oddly enough, 2 psp games: gurumin & r&c: size matters - both pretty damn perfect portable games...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2007, 01:57:02 AM »

360: Guitar Hero 2, GRAW 2 and Crackdown.

PS2:  God of War 2.

PC:  Company of Heroes.

PSP: Killzone

DS:  nothing

Wii:  nothing

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2007, 02:23:24 AM »

360 - Definitely my favorite has been Crackdown followed by MLB 2k7

PS3 - Motorstorm - one of only 2 PS3 games I own.

PS2 - About the only thing I've played has been God of War II, but I didn't play that much.

Wii - Nothing really.  I thought Tiger Woods was going to be the one, but it just didn't grab me like I thought.

PSP - Ratchet & Clank Size Matters

DS - Puzzle Quest and Phoenix Wright (the first one)

PC - World of Warcraft

javahead

Coffee is Murder!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2007, 02:56:16 AM »

Wii sports

HackerEvolution.

No BS.  icon_cool

Jesters Do It Till Ya Smile! ©
          \|/ ____ \|/
        ~@_/ Oo \_@~
          /_( \__/ )_\
             \__U_/
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2007, 03:16:35 AM »

360 - Oblivion, R6: Vegas

Wii - Godfather, Super Paper Mario, Elebits

PS3 - Motorstorm - only PS3 game I own

PS2 - FFXII, Rogue Galaxy, Rygar

DS - Final Fantasy III, Phoenix Wright, Scurge, Contact

PSP - Ratchet and Clank Size matters, Pursuit Force

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2007, 05:55:25 AM »

God of War 2.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2007, 06:37:09 AM »

God of War 2, Zelda:Twilight Princess (I didn't get my Wii until Jan), and Puzzle Quest (PSP) would have to round out my top 3.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2007, 11:54:57 AM »

At this point I have to go with:

X360:  Bullet Witch.  Fun all around.  Great main character.  Enjoyable story.  Lots of action.  Cheap downloadable content.  I hope we get a sequel.

Wii:  Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess.  I know it was released last year but I'm still playing it!

PS2:  MVP NCAA 2007.  I think playing college baseball is a lot more fun than playing the major league counterpart.

DS:  Pokemon Pearl.  Without a doubt.  Absorbing and fun.  Although Puzzle Quest comes in a close second.

PC:  Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic.  Revisiting this one and now using a female Jedi.  Loving every minute of it - again!

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2007, 12:14:30 PM »

DS: Puzzle Quest
PSP: Ratchet and Clank
Wii:  Super Paper Mario
360: Guitar Hero 2
PS3: This is tough because none of the games are that great.  I guess the nod goes to Resistance.
PS2: God of War

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2007, 12:20:56 PM »

I'd have to say Crackdown and Earth Defense Force 2017 for the 360, and since I didn't finish Saint's Row until January I will add that one there, too.  

For the PC I think the only game I bought was FlatOut 2, but it was easily a favorite.  I also put several hours into the freebie Desktop Tower Defense, which is unusual for me.  
« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 10:25:35 PM by EngineNo9 » Logged

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2007, 12:23:06 PM »

Strictly started or finished in 2007, not including sports titles:

360: GRAW2 far and away.
PC: Medieval 2
PS2: Final Fantasy XII
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2007, 01:02:20 PM »

360:  Guitar Hero 2.  Leaderboards add a whole 'nother dimension to the game.  Catan would be second, and unfortunately there's really nothing else I've enjoyed on it so far.  Got a case of buyers remorse right now, at least until Mass Effect and/or Blue Dragon come out.  frown

DS/GBA:  Final Fantasy VI, with Puzzle Quest a very close runner up.

PC:  Dreamfall.  Pretty easy decision, as it's one of the best games I've played on any platform in a long, long time.  The Sam & Max games would be second.

PS2:  God of War 2

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2007, 03:11:34 PM »

360: Crackdown
Wii: Super Paper Mario
PS3: Resitance
PC: Nothing this year yet. How lame of me.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2007, 03:45:19 PM »

That came out this year? God of War II. That I played this year? Final Fantasy XII. I can count on one hand my list of completed games this year thanks to FFXII. Thus far I haven't been too impressed with the games coming out this year.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2007, 03:54:59 PM »

Crackdown + DLC (360).

GRAW2 (360)

Castlevania : SoTN (LA)

If you need me to give reasons as to why, then you haven't truly played these games. icon_twisted

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2007, 03:59:35 PM »

dang, my mind must be going.  Of course I am in love with Neverwinter Nights 2 right now- I must have played it for 8 hours straight yesterday, which is something I haven't done in awhile.

Because I can,
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2007, 04:03:05 PM »

360 - Guitar Hero 2
PS3 - Formula 1 / Motorstorm
PC - LOTRO
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2007, 04:47:13 PM »

360 GRAW2

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2007, 04:59:41 PM »

Since I have played them all this year, I would say the the trio of Tom Clancy games (GRAW, GRAW2 and R6V) for the 360 are the best games I've played so far.  In many ways, I think I would give the nod to GRAW over GRAW2 - I think the level design was overall better.  The improvements made to the interface, graphics and AI in GRAW2 were, however, significant.  And I think the multiplayer of R6V is the best of the 3.

Nothing on the PC has really wowed me this year, and the 360 has become my gaming platform of choice.

On the DS, I thoroughly enjoyed EBA and am enjoying PQ, although I'm not sure what kind of legs it has.

I'm a little surprised to hear so much love for Crackdown, and will have to keep an eye open for sales or deals on this title.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2007, 06:46:55 PM »

Rainbow 6: Vegas by far.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
depward

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2007, 07:09:42 PM »

I have to go for Puzzle Quest for the DS.  Quite an addictive and enjoyable game.

For the 360?  I guess I'd go with NBA '07.  I haven't played any truly standout games for the 360 so far this year.

For the PSTriple - two games: Resistance & Motorstorm.  They both truly shine online multiplayer, with Resistance barely edging it out.

PSP is easy - DJ Max Portable 2.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Irongut
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2007, 07:33:10 PM »

360: Gears of War Multiplayer with friends, Marvel Ultimate Alliance coop story mode with my two sons (beat Dr Doom last weekend), and Guitar Hero 2.  Occasional progress on Crackdown and The Godfather .  I am just having a lot of fun with this system.  Only limiter has been WoW(the next entry).

PC: WoW and the Burning Crusade dominated my late evenings (9:30pm ish starts) every night for about 4 months.  I think I've finally hit a bit of a wall though and gotten tired of being exhausted all the time.  Stalker is screaming for attention.

Wii: Wii Sports has brought my whole family together for non-violent gaming sessions.  I appreciate that.  Most recently everyone is caught up with the daily fitness (age) test challenge.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 07:35:37 PM by Irongut » Logged
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2007, 05:12:02 PM »

God of War 2 .  Hands down.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2007, 05:28:59 PM »

Laugh all you want but I seriously think it might be Desktop Tower Defense for me.

Edit:  I forgot about Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter.  So good I played it a second time immediately after finishing.  Something I never do.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2007, 05:59:03 PM by warning » Logged
Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2007, 05:32:46 PM »

PS2: Guitar Hero 2
360: Dead Rising
Cube: Twilight Princess
PC: Company of Heroes

I know most, if not all, of those came out last year but I'm a little behind on picking up new stuff.  My backlog has been growing larger and larger ever since November of '04, so I've been trying to limit myself until I clear some of it out.  And to be perfectly honest, besides Gears of War at least, nothing that's come out this year has really made me think "Oh wow I HAVE to play that!".  I don't own a PS3 and don't really want one now that I have a 360, and the Wii just doesn't interest me at all.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2007, 05:37:09 PM by Glycerine » Logged

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2007, 05:40:55 PM »

Quote from: Glycerine on May 15, 2007, 05:32:46 PM

And to be perfectly honest, besides Gears of War at least, nothing that's come out this year has really made me think "Oh wow I HAVE to play that!".

GoW came out last year too slywink

gellar
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2007, 07:44:22 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on May 14, 2007, 04:59:41 PM

I'm a little surprised to hear so much love for Crackdown, and will have to keep an eye open for sales or deals on this title.

Give it two weeks; I'm sure the market will be flooded once the Halo3 beta is over.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: