http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 09:39:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: It's May 12 - finally! XBox/ MTV reminder!  (Read 12715 times)
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 13, 2005, 02:50:19 AM »

I have a daycare parent that is one of the "Joe Gamers" that is into every mass market game imaginable. (ei his tastes suck) He called me up just to confirmed how back the Xbox 360 looked. This guy even liked the awful ObiWan Star Wars game so you know something is wrong.

Yeah, awful MTV style presentation aside, I think MS royally fucked up selling the games and more specifically why we need a new Xbox to play these on.  Brief footage (which was largely lackluster) is not the way to convince someone to drop $300+ on a new console.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 13, 2005, 02:55:17 AM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
Quote from: "Hetz"
This new pic just made my interest shoot up again! smile

And as I mentioned earlier, had they shown this in motion that would have floored everyone.

Yep, I can't believe they didn't show it on the MTV show. Oh well, next week we will get to see it in motion, cause the devs have confirmed a trailer will be released next week for the game.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: May 13, 2005, 02:55:27 AM »

You forget- this is a tease.  I'm willing to bet that this is just the tip of the iceberg of the marketing blitz we're about to witness...

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: May 13, 2005, 02:56:34 AM »

meh, my current pc could do better...

Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: May 13, 2005, 02:58:05 AM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"
I can only guess this will be shown at E3 and we probably have a meeting with Bethesda, so look forward to some updates on it biggrin

Do you live in Maryland?

th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: May 13, 2005, 03:02:40 AM »

Don't need to- they're going to be at E3  unibrow

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: May 13, 2005, 03:02:58 AM »

we probably have a meeting with Bethesda

Correct, we have a meeting with Bethesda.  I'll be telling you what it looks like up close and personal.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 13, 2005, 03:04:22 AM »

Quote from: "th'FOOL"
You forget- this is a tease.  I'm willing to bet that this is just the tip of the iceberg of the marketing blitz we're about to witness...

With the infamous Microsoft Marketing Squad behind it, you better believe we'll be sick of the console by late summer at the latest. slywink

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 13, 2005, 03:08:46 AM »

BTW, MTV is offering trailers of th games featured on their site:

http://www.mtv.com/games/video_games/xbox/index.jhtml

Only watched one so far- Gears of War.  Looks incredible though from what I understand it will not be a launch title.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: May 13, 2005, 03:10:11 AM »

Quote from: "Rob_Merritt"
I can only guess this will be shown at E3 and we probably have a meeting with Bethesda, so look forward to some updates on it biggrin

Do you live in Maryland?

Nope, live in another M state though...Minnesota.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: May 13, 2005, 03:12:26 AM »

Kevin...thanks, those look much better than what was shown in spurts on MTV.

Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: May 13, 2005, 03:13:54 AM »

Do you live in Maryland?

Nope, live in another M state though...Minnesota.

Ok, just though if you did we could have a Console Gold Baltimore meet sometime. Nevermind. smile

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 13, 2005, 03:16:08 AM »

Just finished watching all of the trailers (each is like 5 seconds max).  Better than what was shown though most still underwhelmed.

Ghost Recon 3 looks amazing and probably the most impressive of the bunch to me.  That building explosion- wow!
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: May 13, 2005, 03:17:36 AM »

That Microsoft internal video is now downloadable via the Ourcolony.net site.  You click on High or Low under the green circles to download it.

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: May 13, 2005, 03:19:27 AM »

NBA 2K6 looks impressive just from a player graphics point of view...that can't be done on current consoles that I've seen.  Granted, you may not see it in the final though.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 13, 2005, 03:33:31 AM »

NBA 2K6 looks impressive just from a player graphics point of view...that can't be done on current consoles that I've seen.  Granted, you may not see it in the final though.

Missed that the first time (not a sports gamer).  That is really impressive however I do have to question whether its pre-rendered or indicative of final since it doesn't have any other players, stadium, audience, etc.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: May 13, 2005, 03:35:41 AM »

Yeah, that's why I say it may not be in the final game...heh.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 13, 2005, 03:39:19 AM »

OK, I'm confused.  Was this big unveiling show some sort of regional thing?  I've had MTV on since 7:00, and haven't seen it yet.  I thought maybe it started at 9:30 eastern (7:30 here), but it was Meet the Barkers.  9:30 central, maybe (8:30 here)?  Nope, that was a rap video countdown show.  9:30 Mountain time, maybe?  Nope, some Real World thing has been going since 9:00.  WTF??

Strange thing is, they've been showing station promos for it all night saying it starts at 9:30 Eastern.  Color me confused.

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 13, 2005, 03:47:23 AM »

Dunno, Gratch,

But my showing was on after Real World...  but like most of us said - the only reason to watch it now is out of curiosity as to how bad MTV can make it.  They were excellent at making it bad! You can absolutely trust us that it was horrible, horrid, stupid, dopey, etc.

All I have is a VHS tape, but if it drives you nuts not knowing how terrible it was, I'd be glad to send it to you!

There is no way I'm passing on the XB360, I won't be able to help myself. I will be getting it at EB - and getting the store warranty, in case they really are rushing it into production - but I'm definitely getting it.

So, Chaz - let us know when we can line up for the first pre-order, please! Tongue

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
MrZubbleWump
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 13, 2005, 03:51:18 AM »

I missed the MTV special (sounds like I didnt miss much) but I did watch the 5 minute Microsoft video.  Did I hear correctly that the CPU is liquid cooled?  I have water cooled my PC and one of the problem is that water will evaporate over time and needs to be refilled.  How does Microsoft plan to handle that problem? Do they expect a 5 year old kid to water his XBox? I'm pretty sure that oil can be used as a coolant and it probably does not have an evaporation problem like water so maybe that is what they are using as a coolant.  One thing for sure is that the 360 is going to be hot.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 13, 2005, 04:03:26 AM »

Anyone doing in depth research spot anything like this?

About that 360 button that takes you to the guide -  I hope someone at MS thought to make that baby power on the machine, too.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 13, 2005, 04:23:55 AM »

Check out Game Trailers http://www.gametrailers.com/ for a look at a couple of Xbox 360 games.  Condemned looks pretty damn good.

And they've got Full Auto, which seems to be Burnout meets Roadblasters (or Burnout with mounted guns, if you're a  youngun).  It seems to have a Sands of Time effect.  And dual machine gun fitted Volvo station wagons may sell it for me.

They also have the OurColony video.

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 13, 2005, 04:29:49 AM »

These online videos are much better than what was shown in the silly MTV special. Thanks for posting the links guys.

I'm especially intrigued by that short clip of Ghost Recon 3.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 13, 2005, 04:55:47 AM »

About that 360 button that takes you to the guide - I hope someone at MS thought to make that baby power on the machine, too.

Answered my own question with a big ol' YES!

From Team XBox:

The Xbox Guide button also allows you to turn on or off the Xbox 360 without needing to touch the console power button. Couch potatoes rejoice!

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 13, 2005, 05:36:01 AM »

On using a USB Keyboard, from Gamespot:

We also asked Chris Satchell, the General Manager of XNA at Microsoft if we could possibly connect a USB keyboard to the 360. He told us that, "we will allow you to plug in a USB keyboard. It's very useful for the text entry. What we're not enabling it for, we're not enabling it for gameplay." So the keyboard is a go for text entry, but a no-go for game control.
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 13, 2005, 05:38:49 AM »

I thought it was mostly teh suck.  frown

LiveTAG: happydog
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 13, 2005, 05:42:49 AM »

meh, my current pc could do better...

Your current PC costs way more than this will, and I doubt it has 3 processors and a 48 pipeline video card (high end right now is 16).

I don't know what you were expecting, but I saw flashes of a new level of graphics.  Maybe only one or two levels above current, but that's all XBox and PS2 were above PS1.

I'm actually suprised by what wasn't said more than what was revealed, and now there are hints that final packages, price, and release date will all come after E3.  They gotta lock this stuff down soon, not wait for more focus groups and feedback to make those decisions.  The longer they are vague about stuff, the more likely people are to get bored.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 13, 2005, 05:47:45 AM »

Quote from: "Sarkus"
I don't know what you were expecting, but I saw flashes of a new level of graphics. Maybe only one or two levels above current, but that's all XBox and PS2 were above PS1.

No way was any footage shown tonight (Gears of War included) close to the jump from last gen to this generation.
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 13, 2005, 12:58:04 PM »

God, my eyes and ears were raped last night at around 8:30pm. Can anyone tell me what the hell that show was about? Because there wasn't much talk about the X360 at all. Why did we need a band playing at this "unveiling?"  
ALl the people standing around were paid actors. Everything seemed so, well, fake. Even Mr. Wood seemed less than enthusiastic to be there, like he just got up and was rehearsing his lines in the mirror. I was hoping for a lot more meat, but alas, it is MTV and I should have known better than to expect anything less than shit on a candlestick from them.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 13, 2005, 01:02:07 PM »

Not sure if you all have seen this video:

http://rmjv.net/vi/360-trailer3.wmv

Wake up.
Charlatan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 13, 2005, 01:20:20 PM »

Quote from: "Sparhawk"
God, my eyes and ears were raped last night at around 8:30pm. Can anyone tell me what the hell that show was about? Because there wasn't much talk about the X360 at all. Why did we need a band playing at this "unveiling?"  
ALl the people standing around were paid actors. Everything seemed so, well, fake. Even Mr. Wood seemed less than enthusiastic to be there, like he just got up and was rehearsing his lines in the mirror. I was hoping for a lot more meat, but alas, it is MTV and I should have known better than to expect anything less than shit on a candlestick from them.

Perhaps that show was really test-marketing for a new show "Pimp My XBox"...

but yeah, that was about the worst 30 minutes of TV I've seen. Fortunately I Tivo'd it - only took me about 10 minutes to go through it and that's because I spent 90 seconds listening to the Killers in the beginning. But really, what a terrible, terrible show that was, if you were interested in finding out anything factual about the 360.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: May 13, 2005, 01:22:33 PM »

Quote from: "Eco-Logic"
Not sure if you all have seen this video:

http://rmjv.net/vi/360-trailer3.wmv

You can download one without subtitles at ourcolony.net

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: May 13, 2005, 01:33:47 PM »

You can hear our thoughts about the MTV special and the new system on the front page. smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 13, 2005, 01:46:06 PM »

Watch out everyone: Hetz is excited about a Morrowind game! slywink

Admonishment to all of my fellow gamers:  I didn't see the special...but don't any of you realize that the end result of buying into hype is always disappointment?  If you just roll along on the fringe like I do, you don't get ridiculous expectations only to have them dashed repeatedly... Follow my example friends!  Live in the information void!
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: May 13, 2005, 02:05:52 PM »

Oh....and I think that Lil Jon should never be allowed anywhere near an event like this ever again.  "Are you looking forward to the Xbox 360?"  "I'm looking forward to getting one for free tonight!" (Where the white women at!)

I swear...what a waste of carbon.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 13, 2005, 02:19:37 PM »

Yep, I can't believe they didn't show it on the MTV show. Oh well, next week we will get to see it in motion, cause the devs have confirmed a trailer will be released next week for the game.
Yes there will be a trailer and it will floor you.  I know because I did about 90% of the footage for it.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 13, 2005, 02:24:38 PM »

Quote from: "kathode"
Yes there will be a trailer and it will floor you.  I know because I did about 90% of the footage for it.

Can't you just show it to us now? We're all brothers here.....  :wink:
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 13, 2005, 02:42:26 PM »

Quote from: "Ralph-Wiggum"

Can't you just show it to us now? We're all brothers here.....  :wink:

I second that!  biggrin

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 13, 2005, 02:44:41 PM »

Will it be playable on the show floor?
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: May 13, 2005, 02:45:19 PM »

I'll be coming by on Friday first thing in the morning Kathode.  See you then. smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: