http://gamingtrend.com
August 27, 2014, 11:34:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: It's May 12 - finally! XBox/ MTV reminder!  (Read 12601 times)
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2005, 01:58:21 AM »

WTF???? Did we get any more than a 2 seconds of any single piece of footage?  Very disappointing on that score.  Good think I've got the Tivo to go back and review what little they showed.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2005, 01:58:29 AM »

wow..that sucked. big time.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2005, 01:59:13 AM »

Overall, that was a very worthless thirty minutes.

Seriously. The only up-side was seeing some nice video from a couple of the racing games, as the rest of it didn't look all that impressive.

*sigh*

I suppose I'll have to look forward to E3.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2005, 02:00:15 AM »

I think that was the worst half hour of my life.  :cry:
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2005, 02:00:34 AM »

It's MTV ppl...what do you expect?  Especially when they make these specials they usually suck (remember Behind the Game: Halo 2...that sucked too).

PGR3 was impressive for the short burst I saw.  Perfect Dark Zero was only seen in spurts, can't really comment other than it looks a lot like Halo play mechanics.

Madden 06 is obviously coming out at launch...that should be interesting.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2005, 02:04:36 AM »

Some of those games shouldn't have been shown- massive framerate problems.  Not really a big deal- plenty of time to fix but not a good first impression either.  

I did think The Darkness (from the developers of Riddick) looked *very* slick.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2005, 02:05:19 AM »

definitely a waste of 30 minutes...no significant new info and only glimpses of a few games that were too short to really get anything out of them.  even when they had the chance to show some actual gameplay from PD0, they decided to spend more time showing quick cuts between the players.  did i expect them to give full details on the new system?  no, but a little new info would have been nice...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2005, 02:05:27 AM »

I'm so glad I had other things to do. So everything we know is the XBox 360 is going around in circles (which I'll admit will lend itself well to cool marketing ads) but the cinematics looked slightly better than current generation. Hell, God of War got more energy out of the PS2 than any of us thought was possible. And looked how outdated that hardware was immediately compared to the XBox. So the 360 is a slimmed down, but still big from the looks of things, version of the XBox, the controllers are wireless by default (good by me), and the games look just like the games at the end of this generation. Go figure. slywink

/remains unimpressed

Now, all that being said, here's something Hetz will agree with. Had Oblivion been shown in motion, my tune would be completely different. I don't know what the status is with Bethesda on Oblivion, but I think the ball was seriously dropped by not showing at least someone walking around in that world. That would have opened my eyes to what's possible on the 360. Ahh well, E3 will be here soon enough. smile

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2005, 02:06:58 AM »

Almost all the game footage seemed to be pre-rendered and not in game (minus Perfect Dark and Tony Hawk), did it not? Really hard to tell anything about the games based on the 30 minutes of fluff.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2005, 02:08:03 AM »

Agree.  Pitiful show.  

As for Xbox details, learned absolutely nothing new.  Some of the game clips, both seconds, looked good, but the ONLY impressive shots I saw were PGR3's.  The rest looked no better than games I now play on my mid range pc.  And as said before, most of the clips were cutscenes, not gameplay.  

No doubt I will get a 360, but I give the show a 2.5 out of 10.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2005, 02:09:45 AM »

I'm thinking Project Gotham Racing 3 was a replay, but I'm willing to bet it will look that good.  That was the one that floored me...a car with fantastic lighting on it...mmm, good!

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2005, 02:10:19 AM »

Quote from: "Ralph-Wiggum"
Almost all the game footage seemed to be pre-rendered and not in game (minus Perfect Dark and Tony Hawk), did it not? Really hard to tell anything about the games based on the 30 minutes of fluff.

Nah, I think it was in game.  Like I mentioned before some of them had framerate issues which you wouldn't get if it was rendered.  The Call of Duty stuff matched the screenshots so that definitely wasn't prerendered.

EDIT- now that I think about it the Madden stuff *was* the rendered stuff we saw a few weeks ago and I suppose its possible that their Need for Speed stuff was rendered (man I hope not, that game looked really cool).
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2005, 02:13:05 AM »

I'm willing to bet NFS and Madden were just pre-rendered movies.

Oh yeah, I forgot to say that Ghost Recon 3 also looked excellent...that was the other one that wowed me.

Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2005, 02:13:16 AM »

Before I begin, let me say that this show reminded me that I don't watch MTV anymore FOR A REASON. However that shouldn't detrack from the gaming hardware itself. Total honesty now...

I am a big Xbox fan, I'm thinking preorder Xbox 360. Make a big deal of it. Yada yada... Honestly I haven't been this excited about a console launch since the Colecovision.

Hardware wise, it looks better than I thought it would. I was hoping we could get a better look at the back of the system where everything plugs into but that was just my nerd instinct.

As for the games.... Man, I am let down. Every game and I do mean every game looked like sub current generation pc titles. I was doing some quick freeze frames on my TIVO and I am amazed at the lack of detail. The reason why you only saw 2 second clips is I don't think any of the games would stand up. I have a feeling that the system can in fact do better than that. Far better than that. Just the games aren't ready.

My gut feeling, Microsoft is afraid. They pulled this stunt to draw attention they they may of not gotten with a more low key annoucement at E3. Maybe they know Sony is about to launch the ps3  (or atleast Sony made MS think that) and forced MS come out too early. Maybe the Xbox 360 is going to be their Saturn. Ofcourse maybe its just me hoping. Thinking that someone wouldn't annouce a console with their worse foot forward without a good reason.

Maybe E3 will change my mind but right now, my chances of preordering and jumping on the bandwagon early is a lot slimer than at the start of the day.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2005, 02:15:24 AM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"

Oh yeah, I forgot to say that Ghost Recon 3 also looked excellent...that was the other one that wowed me.

Yeah a couple of those urban environments looked very detailed *and* expansive.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 13, 2005, 02:17:31 AM »

Just looked at 1Up's PD0 screens and they pretty much suck.  They look approximately Halo 2 level.  

http://www.1up.com/media?id=1879117&type=lg
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2005, 02:18:06 AM »

Why in the name of all that is holy does this run in 2 hours here in Phoenix?  WHY are we delayed until 9:30? WHY??? Goddamn I hate this state....

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: May 13, 2005, 02:19:39 AM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
Why in the name of all that is holy does this run in 2 hours here in Phoenix?  WHY are we delayed until 9:30? WHY??? Goddamn I hate this state....

You're in the Pacific time zone now...you guys get to wait...heh.

Ron, look at the video that was the reward for the latest OurColony answer...link is early on in this page.

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: May 13, 2005, 02:21:25 AM »

Reading IGN's FAQ about it (you have to go to the new xbox360.ign.com home page, it is not on the Xbox page):

Given that the Xbox 360 is a concave system, how does MS expect people to stack other systems on it, or does MS expect people to do that at all?

Xbox 360 features a beautiful design that demands its rightful place in any home theatre enthusiast's setup. Take one glance at the system and it's tough to cover that beauty by stacking another device on top of it.

Yeah, don't dare cover it up by stacking something on it.  Actually, the video gives the idea that it is the idea of "inhaling" that gave them the concave idea.

Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: May 13, 2005, 02:21:37 AM »

Here is you chance. bail! If you have any interest in the Xbox 360, make other plans now and don't watch it. A half hearted slywink

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 13, 2005, 02:21:38 AM »

That was horrid.

My excitement for the 360 just went down quite a bit.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 13, 2005, 02:23:19 AM »

Not necessarily- I'm on the West Coast (San Diego) and it aired at 6:30 pm here (at least on DirecTV).
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 13, 2005, 02:23:56 AM »

Yes, do, it's far better than what's coming up for you on MTV:
Ron, look at the video that was the reward for the latest OurColony answer...link is early on in this page.

And read the "post-MTV posts" - my gawd, that was horrible even for MTV... :cry:

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: May 13, 2005, 02:24:13 AM »

The 5 minute video from Microsoft is far better than the tripe MTV put out.  Arguably this was the only way for Microsoft to beat Sony to the punch with pre-E3 conferences...Sony pushed their one to Monday (from Tuesday) and hours before Microsoft...after MS had already sent the invitations out for theirs.  MS countered with the MTV thing, whether that was planned before or after...who knows.

Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: May 13, 2005, 02:26:56 AM »

on http://www.xbox360.com you can rotate the controller and the system. I don't see any usb ports on the back of the thing unless they are covered with an access panel.

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: May 13, 2005, 02:27:20 AM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"

Not necessarily- I'm on the West Coast (San Diego) and it aired at 6:30 pm here (at least on DirecTV).

Do you have an MTV East and an MTV West?  DirecTV has a lot of those...like HBO East and HBO West...if you miss something on the East coast you wait 3 hours and watch the West channel.

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 13, 2005, 02:28:30 AM »

Here's the official press release that just went out:

http://www.consolegold.com/PressReleases/index.php?PRID=2274

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: May 13, 2005, 02:29:21 AM »

Quote from: "Rob_Merritt"
on http://www.xbox360.com you can rotate the controller and the system. I don't see any usb ports on the back of the thing unless they are covered with an access panel.

I think the 3 USB slots are behind that white oval in the front.

Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: May 13, 2005, 02:32:23 AM »

And this is what passes for offical Xbox wallpaper

http://www.xbox360.com/latin/poster_wallpaper_1024x768.jpg

ugh.

th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: May 13, 2005, 02:34:27 AM »

heh.  I like the wallpaper.

I'm excited!  I like the controller more than I thought I would.  hope it's easy on the hands...

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 13, 2005, 02:35:21 AM »

Screw the MTV special; check out the coverage over at TeamXbox if you want to get aroused again smile

Keep in mind it is TeamXbox, so you'll have to wade thru a ton of hype but once you get to the meat of it, it looks pretty darn good.  Hurray for only one version - one that includes a detachable+upgradeable 20gb hard disk smile

Edit: if you want to skip straight to the good stuff (the features/specs), jump right here....

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: May 13, 2005, 02:36:46 AM »

I agree with Dimmona...from what I have read of all the sites, I like Team Xbox's writeups the best.  Granted, it does not show off the games or anything, but it does get into what the system itself is all about.

Team Xbox has the easiest job at E3 of any major online game magazine I know...they only have to cover Microsoft while the rest of us cover everything.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 13, 2005, 02:38:36 AM »

Do you have an MTV East and an MTV West?  DirecTV has a lot of those...like HBO East and HBO West...if you miss something on the East coast you wait 3 hours and watch the West channel.

I dont think I have both- only 2 listings came up when I selected it in Tivo- on MTV1 and MTV2 both at 6:30 PST.  A lot of my cable content isn't delayed either- both TLC and Sci-Fi air their programming simultaneously with the East Coast.  

BTW- The MTV thing *was* scheduled before Sony moved thier press conference.  Several MS-insiders on Gaming-Age confirmed it had been in the works for a few months.
Raven
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 13, 2005, 02:39:33 AM »

XB3 will probably be my first console. Here's my question. Are controllers suppose to be that stubby looking? I thought MS took a lot of flak for XB1's controller being too fat, and this controller looks almost as large.

What gives?
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: May 13, 2005, 02:42:35 AM »

Well, as much as I hate to say it, I think with a little 30 minute promo on MTV, Microsoft probably hit what they wanted...a wide audience to show off the "cool" new system.  Granted, we may not have liked it...but Joe Blow Gamer (who watches MTV a lot) out there may have.

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: May 13, 2005, 02:43:38 AM »

Quote from: "Raven"
XB3 will probably be my first console. Here's my question. Are controllers suppose to be that stubby looking? I thought MS took a lot of flak for XB1's controller being too fat, and this controller looks almost as large.

What gives?

Actually, I think they are as big as the Controller S, but they probably have a bit of girth on the bottom simply because you have to put 2 AA regular or rechargable batteries for the wireless play.

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 13, 2005, 02:46:53 AM »

This new pic just made my interest shoot up again! smile

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: May 13, 2005, 02:46:55 AM »

Well, as much as I hate to say it, I think with a little 30 minute promo on MTV, Microsoft probably hit what they wanted...a wide audience to show off the "cool" new system.  Granted, we may not have liked it...but Joe Blow Gamer (who watches MTV a lot) out there may have.

I have a daycare parent that is one of the "Joe Gamers" that is into every mass market game imaginable. (ei his tastes suck) He called me up just to confirmed how back the Xbox 360 looked. This guy even liked the awful ObiWan Star Wars game so you know something is wrong.

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: May 13, 2005, 02:48:31 AM »

Quote from: "Hetz"

I can only guess this will be shown at E3 and we probably have a meeting with Bethesda, so look forward to some updates on it biggrin

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 13, 2005, 02:50:02 AM »

Quote from: "Hetz"

And as I mentioned earlier, had they shown this in motion that would have floored everyone.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: