http://gamingtrend.com
July 22, 2014, 11:18:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: It's June 2008: What's Your GOTY So Far?  (Read 2805 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: June 01, 2008, 08:06:31 PM »

Yep, the year is half over already retard   We've had one huge contender (GTAIV- which I expect will be most people's responses) and we're on the cusp of another: MGS4.

As is typical for these threads 'o mine, what is your GOTY for games made in 2008 and what is your GOTY for games you played in 2008, but weren't necessarily released in 2008.

2008 GOTY: Well, there are only 4 games I've played released in 2008 (thanks COD4!) and of those four, the only one I've played enough to merit consideration for GOTY is Advance Wars: Days of Ruin.  I love the new art style, the new units and the darker direction.  It's an exquisite TBS and it has online MP. Brilliant.

Other GOTY: Company of Heroes.  I'm not super far into it, but the the fresh twist on RTS, the depth of units, the missions and OMG the sound makes this one possibly for the ages.  I bet it looks spectacular on a PC that can run it decked out.  A wonderful game.

ATB's contenders on the horizon: Ninja Gaiden II, Battfield: Bad Company, Metal Gear Solid 4, Fallout 3
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 08:13:38 PM »

The World Ends With You.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
KC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 08:14:33 PM »

I'm going with Mario Kart Wii.  It's a solid game with great/good reviews. Most importantly, I'm having a ton of fun with it.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 08:23:24 PM »

Made in 2008 GOTYFinal Fantasy VII:  Crisis Core.  I'll be honest, a lot of this is simply because of the nostalgia factor, but I had a great time with this game.  Seeing Midgar, Nibelheim, Aeris' church, Sector 7, etc. rendered in a full 3D environment has so far been my gaming highlight of the year.

Played in 2008 GOTYFinal Fantasy Tactics:  War of the Lions.  This updated port was absolutely brilliant, and made an already great game into something even better.  I finally got all the way through the game, which is something I've been trying (unsuccessfully) to do ever since the original came out 10 years ago.  FFT simply defines the SRPG genre.  Bioshock was a very close runner-up, but the shitty ending knocks it down a notch.

2008 DOTY (disappointment of the year)Lost Odyssey.  My expectations were probably too high for this one, just based on pedigree alone.  By all rights, this game should have been amazing.  It actually started out pretty well, but somewhere around the mid-point it degenerated into a boring mess of cliches and veered into sheer mediocrity.  It's all the more frustrating when you consider that it could have been really great if they had managed to tighten up the story and eliminate the endless battles against same-y enemies.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 08:27:47 PM by Gratch » Logged

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 08:28:43 PM »

The year isn't half over for another month. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2008, 08:33:40 PM »

copying Gratch's format:

Made in 2008: I know for a fact I haven't played my GOTY yet for games released this year. Could be Spore, Starcraft 2, or one of several other upcoming big releases.

Played in 2008 GOTY: Rock Band, without a doubt. I got it February, and have been playing it pretty much non-stop ever since. Not only is it my GOTY, I'm tempted to call it one of the top 5 games of all time, on any platform. It's great solo, it's great with extra people in the room, it's great online on XBL. 4 different instruments to play, fantastic music, fantastic note charts, and incredible DLC options make this game legendary. And if they ever introduce Band World Tour on Live ...  dude

2008 DOTY (disappointment of the year): Age of Conan.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2008, 08:36:19 PM »

MLB The Show

gellar
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2008, 10:58:04 PM »

Heh, ATB you're such a tool sometimes slywink My game of the first 5 months of the year is my anticipation for Fable 2.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2008, 11:17:08 PM »

Seeing as the only 2 games from this year I have played are GTAIV and Burnout Paradise, I will give it to GTAIV with a runner up of Burnout Paradise.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2008, 11:18:50 PM »

Mario Kart Wii, no doubt about it. I haven't had as much fun with a game in a long time.
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2008, 11:21:59 PM »

Made in 2008 GOTY: GTA IV. This is the reason I enjoy video games as a hobby. Hopelessly addicting and unbelievably fun.

Played in 2008 GOTY: Rock Band. I bought it in January and have played it at least once a week since then. Recently I've been playing it less and less as the recent DLC hasn't appealed to me (less than 5 songs downloaded in the last month), but with more DLC on the way I'm sure I'll be playing this throughout the summer.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2008, 12:38:49 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on June 01, 2008, 10:58:04 PM

Heh, ATB you're such a tool sometimes slywink My game of the first 5 months of the year is my anticipation for Fable 2.

c'mon - it's been pretty hard for him the last few days, waiting til it was at least 6/1...

anyway, according to the way a year breaks down on my calendar, i'm pretty certain my year-half-over goty nominee comes out in 2 weeks. haven't played any games this year that didn't come out this year, &, as mentioned elsewhere, my nominee for best original title, easily, is the world ends with you...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2008, 12:47:40 AM »

Lost Odyssey.  I love the characters and how they're interrelated, the combat system has just enough tweaks the standard formula to maintain my interest, and the excellent production values put it only a step below the Final Fantasy series.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2008, 02:09:29 AM »

Persona 3 FES, since well, that was released this year.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2008, 02:13:40 AM »

Released this year:  GTA4- I wasn't a big fan of the last gen GTA games but this one fixes almost all of my issues and is just a fantastic all around game. 

Not released this year:  FFT: War of the Lions.  Still holds the throne of best SRPG ever IMO.  Runner up:  Final Fantasy 9- holds up wonderfully even after eight years. 
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2008, 02:18:22 AM »

So far I've spent more time with COD4 this year than anything else.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2008, 02:40:43 AM »

I haven't played anything yet that I would call GotY material.  GTA 4 would be my pick so far. But I hope I play better games by December or it's going to be a down year.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2008, 02:57:09 AM »

GTA IV
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2008, 03:00:57 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on June 01, 2008, 08:28:43 PM

The year isn't half over for another month. 

I'll wait till that thread to post my response.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2008, 03:03:59 AM »

Quote from: denoginizer on June 02, 2008, 02:40:43 AM

I haven't played anything yet that I would call GotY material.  GTA 4 would be my pick so far. But I hope I play better games by December or it's going to be a down year.

I think you're in for a disappointment then. There is very little coming out in the near future that looks good. It's also going to be sometime that tops 07 in terms of major AAA release back to back. It seems like some of the most anticipated games are quickly becoming shadows of their former self.

/glares at forced unleashed.

no PC and no MP at all? Wow, who cares now.
Unless FF13 is out this year in the states, I think we're in a for a lackluster winter.
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2008, 03:55:34 AM »

So far, Hot Shots Golf out of bounds takes the cake. Nothing has sucked me in as much as that so far.

PSN ID: EduardoX
biggercup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2008, 04:12:49 AM »

From what I played & Finished this year...

XBOX360 Call of Duty 4 for console

and

PSP Jeanne D'Arc for portable

ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2008, 04:48:55 AM »

GTA IV
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2008, 06:23:49 AM »

Quote from: semiconscious on June 02, 2008, 12:38:49 AM

c'mon - it's been pretty hard for him the last few days, waiting til it was at least 6/1...

anyway, according to the way a year breaks down on my calendar, i'm pretty certain my year-half-over goty nominee comes out in 2 weeks. haven't played any games this year that didn't come out this year, &, as mentioned elsewhere, my nominee for best original title, easily, is the world ends with you...

I just picked up the game. Seems good so far, but I hate the rampant use things like :

"sup"
"Yo, we goin' or wha?"
"She was just, like, SPYING on ya!"

I know they are trying to give the game a strange sort of street vibe, but it doesn't work for me. The game, however, seems fairly fun.

For me the top games of the year are:

Persona 3:FES (PS2)

runners up-
Lost Odyssey (360)
Silent Hill Origins (PSP)
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2008, 08:49:54 AM »

GTA IV

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2008, 11:57:55 AM »

Quote from: semiconscious on June 02, 2008, 12:38:49 AM

You have no idea. The last week of May seemed VERY long indeed.  nod
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2008, 12:57:27 PM »

I'm jumping on the bandwagon here with GTA IV both for games played and games released in '08.  Since I bought it, I've played nothing else, either SP or MP.

My disappointment of the year is Mass Effect, which I played mostly in '08.  So much potential.  Wonderful story, deep world.  So many annoyances.  Such poor loot and character advancement.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2008, 01:07:50 PM »

Released this year: Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

Played this year: Psychonauts.
The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2008, 01:09:25 PM »

Easily GTA IV.  I'd give Mario Kart (Wii) a very distant 2nd place.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2008, 01:22:27 PM »

GOTY circa 2008: Grand Theft Auto IV
         runner up: Devil May Cry 4

DOTY circa 2008: Super Smash Brothers Brawl. Yeah. Like that.
         runner up: Mario Kart (Wii)

There have been worse games I've played (SOF:Payback, I'm looking at YOU) but these were going to revitalize my Wii playing. Not so much.

DTradeOTY 2008: Gratch's missing my PM and selling Bioshock to Jeff Jones... that was going to hopefully be my GOTY played in 2008... since that can't happen, I suppose the best 2007 title played in 2008 would be Assassin's Creed.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 01:26:21 PM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2008, 01:39:34 PM »

It's still Rock Band for me.  It just keeps on going and going.

As for games released this year, I have to say Shiren the Wanderer on the DS edges out GTA IV.  I mean, GTA is great and all, but Shiren's just such a perfect little game. 
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2008, 01:55:36 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on June 01, 2008, 11:17:08 PM

Seeing as the only 2 games from this year I have played are GTAIV and Burnout Paradise, I will give it to GTAIV with a runner up of Burnout Paradise.

I'm just going to use Teggy's response as it reflects my position perfectly.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2008, 02:03:09 PM »

Quote from: Purge on June 02, 2008, 01:22:27 PM

DTradeOTY 2008: Gratch's missing my PM and selling Bioshock to Jeff Jones... that was going to hopefully be my GOTY played in 2008

My bad.  frown

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
QP
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2008, 02:23:46 PM »

GTA4...though Age of Conan may overtake it.  Too early to tell on both games smile

Of course we get Spore, Far Cry 2, Little Big Planet to come...

-QP
Currently Playing:
[PC]Oblivion Again (OOO this time)
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2008, 02:51:26 PM »

yup.  it's gta 4.  the game didn't leave the system until after i beat it.  it's that good.  so much improvement over san andreas in every area.  i'm pretty sure that mgs4 won't top it for goty for me, and from what's coming, only fallout 3 has a solid chance to knock it back a notch.  i am getting this vaguely bad feeling that mercs 2 is going to be my doty  icon_confused

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Dramatist
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2008, 03:00:08 PM »

So far I'd go with Mystery Dungeon: Shiren The Wanderer.  What's very close and could possibly take the lead in the future would be Mario Cart Wii.

Both of those are great games.
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2008, 04:24:01 PM »

Yeah, I'm going to have to go with Shiren the Wanderer DS too. The game just fit me perfectly.

Runners up:
Super Smash Brothers Brawl, Wii
Age of Conan, PC

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2008, 04:55:50 PM »

Released in 2008: So far, looking like Persona 3: FES
Played in 2008: So far, looking like Super Mario Galaxy. OMG, this game is beyond incredible.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2008, 05:09:49 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on June 02, 2008, 02:03:09 PM

Quote from: Purge on June 02, 2008, 01:22:27 PM

DTradeOTY 2008: Gratch's missing my PM and selling Bioshock to Jeff Jones... that was going to hopefully be my GOTY played in 2008

My bad.  frown

sArright... I might make a few sarcastic comments in the future (as I tend to anyways) ... but they are lighthearted. biggrin

Oh, and I guess RockBand is my GOTY played in 2008; I never consider it a game though... it's like it's own system.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2008, 09:32:42 PM »

game of the year for me would have to be GTA4...very closely followed by Lost odyssey

disappointment of the year would prolly be....Devil May Cry 4...i was hoping that it was gonna be more like part 1,than parts 2 and 3,but i didnt feel as much love as when i first played DMC1

however Unlimited Saga by Square from all those years ago,still cuts me deep..and i will carry on saying that was the disappointment of the decade!!!

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: