http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 06:14:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: It's July 25, 2013. What's Your Game of the Year?  (Read 1320 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: July 25, 2013, 03:50:37 PM »

Last of Us.

Hands down, easily top 10 (possibly top 5) of the generation.  Great way to close it all out.

You?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 08:34:42 PM by naednek » Logged
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 04:15:35 PM »

Meh. Nothing comes to mind from 2013, but I haven't played a whole lot this year.

Van Helsing, maybe? Certainly not Marvel Heroes.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 04:21:41 PM »

it probably would be GTA 5, but they delayed it.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 04:22:48 PM »

I haven't been able to afford the games i want this year due to being unemployed

Played and finished Tomb Raider(100%),I thought that was pretty damn great

Hopefully i'll let you know in a few months time when i am able to get all the games i have wanted

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 04:27:54 PM »

Tomb Raider with Bioshock Infinite as a distant second.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 04:34:17 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on July 25, 2013, 04:27:54 PM

Tomb Raider with Bioshock Infinite as a distant second.

that would probably me mine too at this point.  been trying to think of others.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2013, 04:34:59 PM »

The Last of Us, followed by Tomb Raider.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2013, 04:37:15 PM »

Pretty MEH on games this year.  Have Tomb Raider from the Steam Summer Sale that I need to play..

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2013, 05:06:26 PM »

State of decay so far, but lets see if Shadowrun Returns can't tip that one :-)

A new one
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2013, 05:35:46 PM »

Bioshock Infinite was winning by far but then I played Last of Us.  I normally don't even like survival horror and zombies so this came as a surprise.  I really don't think any game is going to top Last of Us this year.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2013, 05:52:01 PM »

Tomb Raider, followed closely by Last of Us, then Bioshock Infinite.

Pretty great year thus far, I'd say.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2013, 06:09:43 PM »

Last of Us
Tomb Raider
Bioshock Infinite

Lots of great gaming the first half.  Looking forward to Watchdogs, GTAV and BF 4.  Watchdogs could take the spot, but i don't think the other two will take out Last of Us.
Haplo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2013, 07:32:06 PM »

Easily Last of Us
Followed by Bioshock Infinite
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2013, 07:43:30 PM »

I have to give it to The Last of Us so far this year, and I can't imagine much topping it...easily one of the best games I've played in a very long time.

GTAV is still on the horizon though...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2013, 09:04:23 PM »

I can't wait to play Last of Us, surely it will become available on PS4???

For me it's been Fifa 13, but I'm boring like that...

Wake up.
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2013, 09:05:09 PM »

Animal Crossing, then Bioshock Infinite.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2013, 09:30:26 PM »

The Last of Us
then Bioshock Infinite
then Tomb Raider

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2013, 09:41:49 PM »

State of Decay was by far the most engrossing fun I've had so far this year. 

Animal Crossing was a fun diversion, but became too rote pretty quickly.  Hard to remember what else I have played this year that came out this year.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2013, 02:16:25 AM »

Right now, it's Tomb Raider, but I haven't played enough of Bioshock Infinite to tell if that will overtake it.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2013, 03:35:46 AM »

Animal Crossing, and hopefully Shadowrun Returns will finish as great as it has started.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2013, 10:13:32 AM »

I'm continuing my tradition of being a year or two behind the curve. Right now my GOTY would have to be Valkyria Chronicles.  smile
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2013, 01:13:54 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on July 26, 2013, 10:13:32 AM

I'm continuing my tradition of being a year or two behind the curve. Right now my GOTY would have to be Valkyria Chronicles.  smile

A year, or two, or five slywink

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2013, 01:40:46 PM »

Not sure how you'd classify it since it will either still be in beta next year or went into beta last year, but for me this has been the year of Kerbal Space Program.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2013, 02:13:23 PM »

The Last of Us, Tomb Raider, and Bioshock Infinite are definitely the top 3 mainstream titles, and I would rank them in that order.

In the indie space, I'll also put Kerbal Space Program at or near the top if it counts in its current state of release, along with Don't Starve and the imminent Papers, Please.

Papers, Please is just blowing me away in its concept and execution.  It's such a clever idea, and the "pay attention to more than you could possibly pay attention to" mental challenges it brings tap into an area of the brain not often utilized in games.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2013, 08:15:25 PM »

"The Last of Us Infinite Tomb Raiders" for me too.

On a serious note though, it would have to be Shin Megami Tensei IV, despite it being a remake. I even had to borrow a friend's 3DS to play it, but it's the 2013 game  I've enjoyed the most so far. Shadowrun Returns might challenge that.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2013, 06:40:05 AM »

Quote from: kronovan on July 26, 2013, 08:15:25 PM

On a serious note though, it would have to be Shin Megami Tensei IV, despite it being a remake. I even had to borrow a friend's 3DS to play it, but it's the 2013 game  I've enjoyed the most so far. Shadowrun Returns might challenge that.

Shin Megami Tensei IV isn't a remake - it's an original game  saywhat

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2013, 06:56:51 AM »

Quote from: EddieA on July 27, 2013, 06:40:05 AM

Shin Megami Tensei IV isn't a remake - it's an original game  saywhat

Oh well, there you go. So my 2013 GOTY is legit after all.   slywink
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2013, 12:56:12 PM »

So far its Tomb Raider. I haven't played The Last of Us yet.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2013, 01:15:35 PM »

I literally just started gaming again this month, so I have no idea since everything I am playing is old.

Up until the first week of July Magic the Gathering was my game of the year. It has been repeatedly crushing sales records, competitive play is at an all time high, and I was a pretty decent competitive player on Magic Online, it easily ate up 3 years of gaming for me. I really enjoyed the cards, the interactions and the people playing. It helped me find more common bonds with my younger brother, and I found a really great community in my hometown. However, like most hobbies it is a huge money sink and a bigger time sink, and after moving for a job to Cleveland I have a lot less of both so I bailed and came back to videogames(not much better time and money wise but there is CAG and my wife can play and watch too)

I am hopeful that Watchdogs will be the game of the year by the end of the year it has that potential.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2013, 04:27:54 PM »

Warframe.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2013, 05:21:04 PM »

Somewhat disappointingly, my personal vote will have to go to DOTA 2.

I had no particular interest in MOBAs, but since a Steam friend of mine tossed over an unexpected beta invite, I've gotten pretty well hooked.  Almost 120 hours over the last couple months.  I'm pretty terrible and almost every game has some noxious jerk ready to scream about it, but it's got a few things in its favor:

1. Most matches last 30-45 minutes, so they slot well into my current gaming time.

2. The power curve in a well-played game is incredibly satisfying, transforming your character from a hobbled weakling into a demigod on the battlefield.

3. I get to play a support character which is my preferred role in multiplayer games. 

There are few gaming experiences I've enjoyed more than to have some hotshot DOTA 2 pro *screaming* at me for doggedly following him around...only to sheepishly admit by the end of the match that I've saved his life a dozen times over. icon_cool

I'd rather have picked Tomb Raider, DmC, or The Last of Us, but since I just haven't been able to get into them, I've got to go with the game I've played most.

-Autistic Angel
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2013, 06:17:29 PM »

The Last of Us

However,

If I can vote for an MMO I'd have to say Final Fantasy: A Realm Reborn. I've had the pleasure to play it from the very beginning to its current state and it is by far the greatest MMO I've ever played. Possibly the greatest Final Fantasy I've ever played.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2013, 01:14:21 PM »

While we're at it, I'm going to go out on a limb and vote for Sim City as GOAT of the year.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2013, 03:22:12 PM »

Last of Us
followed closely by Bioshock Infinite
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2013, 03:24:08 PM »

Quote from: Sparhawk on July 27, 2013, 06:17:29 PM

The Last of Us

However,

If I can vote for an MMO I'd have to say Final Fantasy: A Realm Reborn. I've had the pleasure to play it from the very beginning to its current state and it is by far the greatest MMO I've ever played. Possibly the greatest Final Fantasy I've ever played.

I know this isn't the thread for this, but do you have to have loved FF before to love it as an MMO?    I always found the games too wordy and full of cutscenes to enjoy, but I've been praying for an MMO to step up and fill the gap that WoW did back in the glory years of it's peak.     It saddens me to fly around Nazerith now and see it almost completely empty.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2013, 05:46:58 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on July 29, 2013, 03:24:08 PM

but do you have to have loved FF before to love it as an MMO?    I always found the games too wordy and full of cutscenes to enjoy, but I've been praying for an MMO to step up and fill the gap that WoW did back in the glory years of it's peak.     It saddens me to fly around Nazerith now and see it almost completely empty.

I'd give a tentative no.  There aren't many cutscenes, you can ignore the quest text if you'd like (although I think it's very well written and interesting), and it plays pretty much like a standard MMO.  It is still a JRPG at heart though, so if that was your issue, you might have issues with it.  

I played version 1 on release, and thought it was an utter disaster.  Been involved in the beta for this AAR relaunch since phase 2, and can say with confidence that it's now very, very good.  Will absolutely be a day 1 purchase for me.  Time will tell if it's the best MMO I've ever played, but I can certainly see it being right up there.  The overhaul it's received over the last couple years has been remarkable, and they have crafted an incredibly solid game that is a blast to play.

Curious to see if it can survive as a pay-to-play game in a mostly F2P world...that's going to be a tough hill to climb.

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2013, 07:06:12 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on July 29, 2013, 05:46:58 PM

but do you have to have loved FF before to love it as an MMO?    I always found the games too wordy and full of cutscenes to enjoy, but I've been praying for an MMO to step up and fill the gap that WoW did back in the glory years of it's peak.     It saddens me to fly around Nazerith now and see it almost completely empty.

I'd give a tentative no.  There aren't many cutscenes, you can ignore the quest text if you'd like (although I think it's very well written and interesting), and it plays pretty much like a standard MMO.  It is still a JRPG at heart though, so if that was your issue, you might have issues with it.  

I played version 1 on release, and thought it was an utter disaster.  Been involved in the beta for this AAR relaunch since phase 2, and can say with confidence that it's now very, very good.  Will absolutely be a day 1 purchase for me.  Time will tell if it's the best MMO I've ever played, but I can certainly see it being right up there.  The overhaul it's received over the last couple years has been remarkable, and they have crafted an incredibly solid game that is a blast to play.

Curious to see if it can survive as a pay-to-play game in a mostly F2P world...that's going to be a tough hill to climb.

I personally hate F2P model of MMO, so I'm very excited that this is pay to play.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2013, 07:24:47 PM »

Squaresoft will not get my money again.  They screwed me over on FFXI and I don't care how good FFXIV is, they can stuff it.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2013, 07:47:13 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on July 29, 2013, 07:06:12 PM

Quote from: Gratch on July 29, 2013, 05:46:58 PM

I personally hate F2P model of MMO, so I'm very excited that this is pay to play.

I don't necessarily hate F2P, but I'm glad FF XIV didn't go that route.  I'm not particularly fond of the constant nickel-and-dime vibe of F2P games.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 09:07:45 PM by Gratch » Logged

Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2013, 08:18:20 PM »

Tomb Raider

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: