http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 07:08:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: It's August 13, 2007: What's Your GOTY? (pre-Fall AAA Classic)  (Read 1740 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: August 13, 2007, 11:59:31 AM »

We're on the cusp of the great gaming rush of 2007 with Madden hitting this week, Bioshock next, and Stranglehold the following. Then it's flood doors time.

As of right now, on the cusp of this great- potentially Golden Age of gaming- what is your current GOTY for 2007- whether it was released in 2007 or not?  Also, state what you think your GOTY will be post fall releases.

GOTY Released in 2007

The Darkness- One of the most immersive games I've ever played that did just enough with the story, combat, and character development to make it fresh and appealing.  100% worth a rental or purchase at $40.00.

GOTY Game Played but not released in 2007:

The Godfather- This game got me hook line and sinker.  It is nearly flawless in it's story delivery, pacing, character development, achievements,  and variety of things to do. The only turn off for some may be the graphics, but if you get past those, man, you are playing the best game it could possibly be.

Darkhorse That May Make A Charge:

Metal Gear Solid 3: I'm not far enough into it to know for sure, but the game is capitivating, has what I would consider a plethora of innovative gameplay options and has me very interested in following through to completion.  I'm not sure about the story yet (there doesn't appear to be too much of one at this stage), but it's classic MG and I'm enjoying every minute of it.

Anticipated GOTY After the Fall Releases:

Mass Effect: I've been waiting with so much anticipation for this game, I cannot fathom it.  I've very little doubt that it will be my GOTY when all the dust settles.
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 12:23:23 PM »

I usually go with the game that gave me the most enjoyment and was the most memorable.  As of right now that would be Bullet Witch (X360).  However, I can without a shadow of a doubt say right now that MASS EFFECT will be my GOTY for 2007.  It's just my "type" of game.  It will be my spiritual KOTOR 3.

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 12:24:54 PM »

at the moment i think the GoTY will be between Mass Effect and Bioshock......for myself i am also very much looking forward to COD4

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 12:32:26 PM »

Right now my GOTY is Etrian Odyssey; it sucked me in like no other. That said, I don't yet have any of the current consoles so the games I've played have been limited.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 12:34:33 PM »

I don't even have one yet.  I would guess Mass Effect will fit the bill though.  I hope so at least.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2007, 01:07:32 PM »

The first thing that came to mind was Puzzle Quest.  That really came out of nowhere and sucked up every second of my free time for a month.

For the rest of the year, though, Mass Effect and Rock Band are going to have to battle it out for the medal.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2007, 01:29:23 PM »

GOTY Released in 2007
Crackdown- I just wish more people played it online.

Oblivion- I can't believe this had sat on my shelf unplayed.

Bioshock: I'm honestly not that interested in this title, but it seems like it may be worth playing.

Mass Effect|Halo3: Cuz you know what? Bungie might just fire on all cylinders with this one. 4player true-coop. It's like Brute Force, except without the sucking.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2007, 02:17:34 PM »

GOTY Released in 2007

Puzzle Quest - Nothing really extraordinary has jumped out at me so far this year, so PQ takes the #1 spot by default.

Toss up between Final Fantasy VI and Baldur's Gate II (PC)- I finally went back and finished both of these RPG classics this year.  There have been a million games that have come and gone since these two were released, but few have been better.  A couple of truly epic, incredible games.

Blue Dragon: The comparisons to Dragon Quest make me a bit wary (i.e. heavy on combat & exploration, light on story & characters)  but it looks gorgeous and the turn based combat system is right up my alley.  I also need to give Etrian Odyssey a try.

Rock Band This is a complete no-brainer for me.  This could very well be my video game Nirvana...literally and figuratively.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2007, 02:38:08 PM »

GOTY Released in 2007
The Godfather: Blackhand Edition (Wii)

Neverwinter Nights 2

The Witcher- The game looks like it's going to give the GOTY a run for it's money, provided it's not a bug ridden release.

Assassins Creed- I won't consider a game GOTY unless I've finished it, so I'm doubting I'll be done with Mass Effect before the New Year.  I'm notoriously slow when it comes to getting into a Bioware RPG; KotOR and BG2 took me about a year to get around to playing and completing, Neverwinter Nights 2 about 6 months.  Jade Empire is their only game that sucked me in from day one.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Torfish
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2007, 02:42:09 PM »

My 2007 GOTY so far is Puzzle Quest DS

Titan Quest's expansion is a close second.  I spent many hours on that game this year.

My most anticipated in 2007 is Guitar Hero III for the wii.  Crysis and Hellgate London for the PC are a close second and third.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2007, 02:53:11 PM »

MLB 07: The Show for the Playstation 3 is my GOTY so far.  I've played it far more than any other baseball game and I see new stuff daily.  I sometimes have 10-7 games, sometimes 2-0 games.  All the details they've managed to jam into the game is shocking and the weekly roster updates are awesome.  I think the average reviews the game received when it released were unwarranted, because reviewers had no idea about the longevity the game has.

I'm really banking on Jeanne d'Arc, Uncharted, and Bioshock to blow me away, but there are many others coming out soon.

TheMissingLink on PSN
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2007, 02:59:51 PM »

GOTY Released in 2007

Resident Evil 4 [Wii]: This game was without a doubt the best gameplay experience I've had to date.

God of War: I've been a PS2 owner for less than a year and it was great to finally play this excellent game. I still haven't played it 2007 sequel, but all in good time.

Bioshock: Like so many I've been waiting for a follow up to System Shock 2 for many years. If all the previews are true this will be a game worthy of all the greatness that is the System Shock series. Playing SS2 was one of the greatest gaming moments for me; I'm hoping this game will be as good.

Mass Effect or Super Smash Bros Brawl: It's a 2 way tie between these 2 titles. From all that I've seen and read about ME I know I won't be disappointed; if I haven't purchased my 360 before it's released I will the moment it hits shelves. SSBB is also looking to be an amazing game. I'm still playing the SSBM more than 5 years after release so if Brawl is as good then it will be a strong contender for GOTY in my books.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 03:13:26 PM by kronovan » Logged
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2007, 04:19:15 PM »

Forza 2. The only game coming out through the rest of the year (that I'm going to be able to purchase, or else I'd list "Rock Band" as a possibility) that I'm expecting to give Forza 2 a real run for my top pick of 2007 is Hellgate: London.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2007, 04:19:48 PM »

So far, my GOTY is Forza 2.  I might have picked NCAA 08 but there are a few issues I have that keep it from the top spot.  Also getting an honorable mention is GRAW 2.

For games I've played this year that weren't released in 2007, I'd say GRAW and R6:V.  Also, Elite Beat Agents.

My most anticipated game for 2007 is Bioshock and I anticipate that it will be my GOTY.  Dark Horse:  Madden 08.

Suckiest game of 2007 that ATB talked me into buying:  Battlestations Midway.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
depward

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2007, 04:33:27 PM »

So far, Odin Sphere or DiRTPuzzle Quest gets an honorable mention.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Louis Cypher

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2007, 04:42:05 PM »

The Darkness so far

Live Gamer Tag: Kitten0Death
PSN: CabriX
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2007, 05:04:07 PM »

I think so far, my GOTY is Dirt. It's just so much fun! Portrait of Ruin occupied my for a good month straight, as well.

GOTY from not 2007... Soul Caliber 3. It's not great, but it sucks my time away so well. Maybe Dragon Quest 8, as well, because I'm at about 35 hours in and still have a long way to go.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2007, 05:04:13 PM »

GOTY Released in 2007:

puzzle quest and picross.  both stunningly simple and both stayed in the ds since i bought them til i finished them.  (picross isn't finished, but i have finished a ton of puzzles in it)

saints row.  sure, it's a glorified gta clone, but since gta is now an 08 title, this is the best in the genre.  good thing it's such a fun game to play with no huge stupidities in the design department. 

bioshock: after the demo, this is looking even better.  very excited to play this.

mass effect:  there is no other which i anticipate higher than this.  gta was close on an enjoyment level, but ME has a lot more going on which really push the 'next-gen' label

Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2007, 06:29:36 PM »

GOTY Released in 2007

Crackdown.  Had a lot of fun with this one.

Rainbox 6: Las Vegas.  Wow.  Seriously, one of the best fps' I've ever played.

Mass Effect: or Mercenaries 2.  Been waiting for both, very anxiously.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2007, 07:11:46 PM »

I think this holiday season is WAY too big to narrow down to just one title in each section:

GOTY Released in 2007:
God of War II  - Loved every maddening controller-throwing second of it.
Crackdown - This was fantastic mindless fun.

Gears of War - The game, while short, was a beautiful rush throughout.  Multiplayer allowed me to introduce myself to a lot of new readers via headshots.  What more could a guy ask for?
Guitar Hero II - Well, the guitars are still sitting in front of my 360 and my wife and I played the game last night.  Name another game with that kind of longevity.

Bioshock - If early hype is any indication this could be a heavy hitter.  Will it resonate with the non-hardcore?
Hellgate London - Loot whoring at its finest.  I'm all over this title.
Brother's in Arms: Hell's Highway - The hype engine has been all but silent on this one for a while.  Visuals are stunning, but will the gameplay change?
Heavenly Sword - Visually mind blowing.  Playing through the entire second chapter gives good indication that this'll be one to watch very very closely.
Metroid 3: Corruption - Samus is back and the new control scheme could make or break this title. 
Ratchet and Clank: Future - The game is an explosion of color and is a blast to play.  We'll see if it has legs or gets repetative.
Halo 3 - The title alone will sell a bajillionzillion copies.
Super Mario Galaxy - Will the odd planet-hopping craziness catch on with the older Wii-eriatrics that Nintendo seems to be targeting?

Bioshock - Ken Lavine and his team have really achieved something great with this title.  Hopefully the full game yields something on par with the legendary System Shock titles.
Rock Band - 4 player online with different instruments.  If EA / MTV / Harmonix can keep their head in the game with compelling track updates that don't cost a fortune this could be near impossible to beat over the long haul.
Mass Effect - Epic in scope, new dialog features, decisions that have Galaxy-wide reaching effects, and more gameplay than almost any other 3 games combined?  Tack on the pedigree of the Bioware team and this is the likely RPG of the year, if not GOTY.
Unreal Tournament III - People are still playing the original Unreal online.  The graphics on this one will appeal to the graphic whore in me, while the new gameplay elements and modes will appeal to the sniper in me!  It's auto-buy on this one either way.

Co-Op/Multiplayer "Must-Have" titles:
The Simpsons - The way this game captures the world of the Simpsons is amazing.  The way that EA has lampooned themselves in this title is even better. 
Mercenaries 2: World in Flames - Mitch demands I buy this title.  *shrug*  Looks like an improved Just Cause.
Army of Two - Note that this is also in the category below - if this is done well it could be a lot of fun. From the little I saw at E3, so far so good.
Halo 3 - Single player game for me.  I can't stand being called every racial slur in the book so I'll be playing online co-op only with friends.
Call of Duty 4 - Call of Duty and Call of Duty 2 multiplayer were awesome and from what Keith said in his upcoming hands-on time with the title, it is only getting better.  I'm in yer Ghillie suit, snipin' yer doods.

Titles that could succeed beyond measure or burn baby burn depending on execution:
Assassin's Creed
Metroid 3: Corruption - Samus is back and the new control scheme could make or break this title. 
Warhawk
Army of Two
Halo 3 -
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune -
The Witcher - Translation from Polish to English might leave us a bit wanting for good RPG dialog.  Localization could hurt.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2007, 07:23:05 PM »

Hmmm.... too many games played to remember them all...

Probably Crackdown/Rainbow 6:Vegas

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2007, 09:10:03 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on August 13, 2007, 07:11:46 PM

Mercenaries 2: World in Flames - Mitch demands I buy this title.  *shrug*  Looks like an improved Just Cause.

Bite your tongue,  heathen.  I loved Mercenaries, and couldn't stand Just Cause at all.  I hope it's more an improved mercenaries than an improved Just Cause....because anything would be an improvement over that steaming pile...
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2007, 09:40:12 PM »

Quote from: Eightball on August 13, 2007, 09:10:03 PM

Bite your tongue,  heathen.  I loved Mercenaries, and couldn't stand Just Cause at all.  I hope it's more an improved mercenaries than an improved Just Cause....because anything would be an improvement over that steaming pile...

Educate me.  Looks like free-form, hijack anything, go anywhere, blow anything up, help the factions gameplay.  Am I missing something?

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2007, 10:02:30 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on August 13, 2007, 09:40:12 PM

Educate me.  Looks like free-form, hijack anything, go anywhere, blow anything up, help the factions gameplay.  Am I missing something?

Since Just Cause was an imitation of Mercenaries 1, I don't think so.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2007, 10:37:16 PM »

Boy this would be tough, but...

Games Played:  God of War 2 & Rainbow Six Vegas

Games to Play:  Mass Effect

Games that might surprise:  Halo 3 (hated #2 and never finished it nor kept it)

I am Xboxalot on Live.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2007, 11:03:58 PM »

I'd have to go with Puzzle Quest right now. Unless Retro has botched it I would imagine my pick will be Metroid Prime 3 by year's end.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2007, 12:52:23 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on August 13, 2007, 10:02:30 PM

Nope, you got the basic elements right, but as you well know, the devil is in the details.  I mean crap...that list there could almost describe GTA or Saints Row, or any free-form game.

Mercenaries got those details right...Just Cause didn't.  It was just a pale imitation, a lost cause.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2007, 12:57:11 AM »

Quote from: Eightball on August 14, 2007, 12:52:23 AM

Nope, you got the basic elements right, but as you well know, the devil is in the details.  I mean crap...that list there could almost describe GTA or Saints Row, or any free-form game.

Mercenaries got those details right...Just Cause didn't.  It was just a pale imitation, a lost cause.

besides, in Mercs 2 you get to whack Venezuelans and help prepare for our eventual invasion!!!!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2007, 02:17:33 AM »

GOTY Released in 2007:
Rogue Galaxy - not as good as Dark Cloud 2, but still the kind of game I love.

Prince of Persia : The Two Thrones - After going so horribly wrong with Warrior Within, they completely redeemed the series with Two Thrones.

Mass Effect

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2007, 09:13:02 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 14, 2007, 12:57:11 AM

Quote from: Eightball on August 14, 2007, 12:52:23 AM

besides, in Mercs 2 you get to whack Venezuelans and help prepare for our eventual invasion!!!!

I enjoyed both Mercs 1 and Just cause for what they were, and I think Mercenaries 2 will probably be damn well awesome. 

My GOTY so far:
Crackdown or DiRT

GOTY played but not released in 2007:
hmm, I'll have to think about that

Anticipated GOTY material (or what I'm excited about):
Mercenaries 2
Halo 3
some others that may or may not work out (Aassassin's Creed, Army of Two, etc)

Sandwiches do fix everything.
ras752000
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2007, 12:01:46 PM »

Wii RE4

PSN=ras752000
Steam=ras752000gt
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: