http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 09:13:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: It's about halfway through 2012: your GOTY & Most Disappointing game so far?  (Read 676 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: June 19, 2012, 01:56:29 AM »

well, we're just shy of the halfway point for the year, so what is your Game of the Year so fare?  and what is your most disappointing?

for me GOTY is Dragon's Dogma.  best RPG I've played on the 360 so far, with tons of stuff to do and just the right amount of challenge.  biggest disappointment?  Max Payne 3.  It has been addressed elsewhere, but it did not feel like Max Payne to me.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 02:18:56 AM »

Spanish Devil 3

Most disappointing is ME3, not because it was a bad game, but because the ending has soured me on replaying the other games.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 02:23:44 AM »

Diablo III is getting my GOTY so far...but I'm seeing a game with a 2 at the end of its moniker galloping ahead by year's end.  nod
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 02:38:29 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on June 19, 2012, 02:18:56 AM

Most disappointing is ME3, not because it was a bad game, but because the ending has soured me on replaying the other games.

wow, it was so forgettable that I forgot it came out this year....

Because I can,
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 02:46:17 AM »

Same here.  I had every intention of playing through the trilogy a couple of more times with different character builds, but when the ultimate resolution boils down to red, green, or blue, who cares?

That's pretty much the only game from this year that I've played.  Of all the rest, Assassin's Creed II gets my vote for best of 2009 that I'm playing in 2012 smile
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 03:30:11 AM »

Soo, CeeKay is ATB's alt now?

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 03:34:29 AM »

Quote from: pr0ner on June 19, 2012, 03:30:11 AM

yer ATB's alt  Tongue

Because I can,
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 04:05:55 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 19, 2012, 03:34:29 AM

Quote from: pr0ner on June 19, 2012, 03:30:11 AM

yer ATB's alt  Tongue
so, if a bot gains sentience, and then develops MPD, is that artificial multiple intelligence? 

hypothetical question of course.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 10:38:30 AM »

D3 for GOTY so far, and there's not even really a close second.

I'd probably list the lack of anything to play on my Vita as the biggest disappointment.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 10:41:43 AM »

Not actually bought that many games this year

yeah it kills me to say it but Mass Effect 3 was my most disappointing title of the year so far

which is even worse because if it had a better ending and actually had side quests like ME2 and not the lame things they had in the game,it could of been my GOTY,because it did everything else right

for me my Metal Gear Solid HD Collection was the GOTY for me,because it didn't come out until February here,and the ports were well done
but,if you want to be fussy by saying they are ports of older games or it was released in the US last year

then i will go along with Dragons Dogma,even though i still have to get back to the game,it is however interesting to see a new IP do something like this,and looking forward to what the series can do(its Capcom,of course it will be a series)

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 10:43:07 AM »

Dragons Dogma as a clear GOTY winner - Awesome rpg, awesome combat - Simply can't get enough of it.

Most disappointing is shared between Diablo 3 and Max Payne 3 - Neither lived up to my expectations at all, sadly.

Hmm, Mass Effect is was pretty damn disappointing as well and as Ceekay said - I kinda forgot about it.

A new one
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, 10:53:47 AM »

goat of the year Mass Effect 3 - that ending killed it for me.  I have no interest in the extended cut endi

No game of the year for me yet

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2012, 11:34:30 AM »

I might be the only person who didn't have a problem with the ending of ME3.  It still isn't on my GOTY list though.

Diablo was a big letdown to me.  Max Payne's single player was ok but gets no awards.  Max Payne's multiplayer is in the running for my GOTY award, as is Dragon's Dogma.  I agree with PR that a certain sequel might get GOTY though, maybe even the same one as him slywink

There are also the two Mechwarrior games I'm watching closely.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2012, 01:10:04 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on June 19, 2012, 11:34:30 AM

I might be the only person who didn't have a problem with the ending of ME3.  It still isn't on my GOTY list though.

I didn't mind it either.  The game overall simply wasn't as compelling as ME2 though.

Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2012, 02:57:49 PM »

Dragon's Dogma for GOTY.  I have 70+ hours played, and I'm tempted to start a new game+.  This game completely pulled me away from Diablo3.

Because of the technical issues, Diablo 3 has been my biggest dissapointment.  I was open minded about the required login and active internet connection, but it's really turned into a cluster f**k.  After almost every major patch I need to look up how to work around their patcher and installer issues.  I've had to remove hidden files (agent file), meticulously close files while patching in a specific order using task manager, and when nothing else worked, I've had to do a complete reinstall.  Just getting the installer and game to play nicely has been a battle.  I haven't played in awhile, but when I went to play today, there's a 10 hour maintance window from 3AM-1PM PDT.  The gameplay is fun, but I've been really close to just saying f**k it when I have to troubleshoot their borked patcher or installer, just to access a mostly SP experience.  The Blizzard Launcher and their Agent applications don't always seem to know wtf they are supposed to be doing.  

I don't know what's happening at Bioware (EA's influence maybe?), but their last several major titles have all been a weird mixture of goodness and wtf were they thinking design decisions.  Dragon's Age 2, Mass Effect 3, and SWTOR.  I'd give an honorable mention for ME3, out of respect for 90% of the game, but the ending chapter of the game was so poorly done, and not just because of how the story was handled.  I'm talking about the last few hours, and how that entire experience seemed thrown together (because they ran out of time?).  
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2012, 03:20:39 PM »

My gaming hasn't been nearly tracking the trends.  No Diablo, no Dragon's Dogma, nor ME3 for me.

My most disappointing game this year is Tiger Woods.  They changed the swing mechanics in a manner that's more difficult to get a handle on for me than last year's version was. 

I don't really think I've played anything that would be a GOTY contender.  Crusader Kings II is pretty fun, but not just a runaway hit. 

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2012, 04:33:56 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on June 19, 2012, 02:57:49 PM

Because of the technical issues, Diablo 3 has been my biggest dissapointment.  I was open minded about the required login and active internet connection, but it's really turned into a cluster f**k.  After almost every major patch I need to look up how to work around their patcher and installer issues.  I've had to remove hidden files (agent file), meticulously close files while patching in a specific order using task manager, and when nothing else worked, I've had to do a complete reinstall.  Just getting the installer and game to play nicely has been a battle.  I haven't played in awhile, but when I went to play today, there's a 10 hour maintance window from 3AM-1PM PDT.  The gameplay is fun, but I've been really close to just saying f**k it when I have to troubleshoot their borked patcher or installer, just to access a mostly SP experience.  The Blizzard Launcher and their Agent applications don't always seem to know wtf they are supposed to be doing.  

Wow, that's craziness.   eek  Other than a couple log-in issues the first couple days after release, I haven't had a single technical issue.

Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2012, 06:58:03 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on June 19, 2012, 04:33:56 PM

Quote from: Roguetad on June 19, 2012, 02:57:49 PM

Wow, that's craziness.   eek  Other than a couple log-in issues the first couple days after release, I haven't had a single technical issue.
I wish that was the case for me too, unfortunately it's been pretty frustrating.  Thankfully the user community posts patch install solutions all the time on the D3 tech forums, so I've been able to get it to work eventually.  Just do a quick review of the topics on the tech forum, and you'll see long threads about people dealing with patch install problems.   
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2012, 08:56:24 PM »

Dragons Dogma so far.   thumbsup

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
WorkingMike
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2012, 01:41:05 PM »

Dragon's Dogma is my GoTY. It's not perfect, but where it lacks in polish it makes up in fun.

It's interesting to hear other people mention ME3, as i'm playing it right now. It's been kind of a uphill climb, truth be told. In ME2 I couldn't wait to play it, they really hit the right notes for me. ME3 has become more of a chore I have to get through until I can return it to Gamefly. Bioware has become the company that fixes one thing and breaks two more. Combat has improved while exploration and character development has become lax and uninspired.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2012, 02:23:58 PM »

Most Disappointing sofar:  Syndicate. The multiplayer is what the single player should have been - running missions and taking over the world.

Instead it's a guided tour through a linear storyline which is generally uncompelling and fucking *blinding*. Some really cool game elements go to waste.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: