http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 11:12:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IslandsOfRhodes.org = God of War 3?  (Read 669 times)
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« on: March 24, 2007, 09:09:38 PM »

How best to word this...ah, hell, I'll just quote the original source on this one:

The jury is out if this is brilliant viral marketing or the simple fact that when millions of people play a game they'll eventually find something hidden -- but the timing is a little too convenient. In a video for God of War II (found after the break) a player works their way to a 999,999 hit combination. When reaching the achievement a URL pops onto the screen (0:43 mark in video) for IslandofRhodes.org. The website shows a countdown to April 11 with Kratos' menacing face watching over a burning field.

Although we have our crack team of Joystiq video analysts pouring over the video frame by frame trying to figure out if it's a complete hoax, if real, we're going to go with the website has something to do with Kratos' upcoming PSP adventure. Although that would be strange considering whatever the site is, the game it's promoting is rated M. According to the ESRB, they have not yet rated God of War for PSP. So Joystiq nation, does that website show up when you hit 999,999 and what does it all mean?

Youtube link here if you want to see the really bored guy (states it took him 10 hours of AFK play to do it) getting the game to tell him about the website.

And I guess we'll know in 18 days in change. Either it's the official announcement of the PSP version, the PS3 version, or a movie or something. Thoughts?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 10:21:05 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on March 24, 2007, 09:09:38 PM

Thoughts?

My thoughts are this: holy F*@#. How the hell did that guy get a 999,999 hit combo????
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2007, 11:52:23 PM »

There isn't even a PS3 logo on that page-maybe it's for a PSP version?  Or maybe it's fake!
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2007, 11:55:44 PM »

The site is owned by Sony, so I'm sure it's legit.  I doubt they would make a big show of God of War 3 so soon after 2 just launched, it's likely to be about the PSP title, although it has the PS2 logo on there.  Odd stuff.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2007, 02:28:26 AM »

Yeah, the PS2 logo is odd.  But if it is a new product, the PSP game is a helluva lot more likely than the PS3 version. 
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2007, 02:50:30 AM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on March 24, 2007, 10:21:05 PM

Quote from: Destructor on March 24, 2007, 09:09:38 PM

Thoughts?
My thoughts are this: holy F*@#. How the hell did that guy get a 999,999 hit combo????

The Youtube video shows him Kratos in Rage mode spinning like a fool. And the reports state that the video guy is in the Arena mode, doing the spinning attack of doom over and over and...for about 12 hours. Apparently you get 9999 Red Orbs every time you gain another 100,000 hit combo too. biggrin

I'm gonna place my bets on a PS3 remake of God of War 1. It'll be like Ninja Gaiden Black - new features, new difficulty modes, and 1080p support.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2007, 03:18:28 AM »

You know, the comments there talk about rubber bands but how the hell did they do that? Rubber bands over what buttons?

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2007, 07:47:30 AM »

From IGN -
We contacted a Sony representative to get down to the bottom of the mystery, and received a cryptic answer that should shed a little light on the site itself. While we did manage to find out that the game isn't related to the PSP title, "The website is for true God of War fans...Think of the original God of War."

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: