http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 06:27:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Xbox ruining PC gaming?  (Read 1883 times)
Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: June 07, 2004, 09:32:01 PM »

I thought this was interesting.

http://www.consolegold.com/News/index.php#xboxpc

The comment about how the 'combination of strategy and role-playing games' are being lost I have a hard time understanding.  What game is this guy talking about?

Anyway, I this XBox is brilliant for providing essentially a standardized PC platform.  The developers seems to enjoy that too, so why not?  The economics of it all around are good: for developers and for consumers (who no longer have to upgrade their system every year.

The main reasons I was excited about Xbox when it came out were the hard drive, the simpler controller (verus PS2's), and the standarization, so obviously I am all for more games coming over to XBox from PC-land.

What do you guys think?
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2004, 11:07:19 PM »

I think the Xbox supplements my gaming experience.  But PC still is my main platform.  

I think it matters by what types of games you are into.  If you're into FPS games, RTS, and even RPG's, PC is probably the way to go.  But if you are only into Sports, Action-Fighting games, and racing games, Consoles are the way to go.

Luckily, my tastes are fairly broad, and so is my credit card debt Tongue.  I tend to only play sports/racing games for xbox, and everything else on PC.

I don't think xbox is killing pc gaming, I think it supplements it, depending on the person's taste.

But that's just based on me, how does it effect overall?  I think it took away some developers who were mainly for PC, and gave us the results of bad console ports (DX, HALO, and others)

Maybe with this new XNA from microsoft, that will free up time and let developers be able to customize for each platform, without costing any extra money and time.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2004, 02:28:34 PM »

I got my XBOX in December 02.  I have not bought a PC game since then.

So to answer your question, as it pertains to me, XBOX certainly has killed PC Gaming.  I've never even looked back.
DiamondDecision
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2004, 06:19:53 PM »

Quote from: "ATB"
I got my XBOX in December 02.  I have not bought a PC game since then.

So to answer your question, as it pertains to me, XBOX certainly has killed PC Gaming.  I've never even looked back.

Ditto.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2004, 06:29:03 PM »

Quote from: "naednek"
I think it matters by what types of games you are into.  If you're into FPS games, RTS, and even RPG's, PC is probably the way to go.  But if you are only into Sports, Action-Fighting games, and racing games, Consoles are the way to go.

This is how I look at it, too.  I play different genre's on different machines.  TBS, RTS, FPS, and quick diversions go on the PC.  Action, fighting, and sports usually on the console.  The console has the standard controls and gamepad going for it, the PC has the mouse/keyboard combo and games that are not available on the consoles like strategy/RTS games and more involved, non-cutscene driven RPG's.

As mentioned in another thread, I approach gaming on the console and PC differently.  The console is a much more leisurly affair, while on the PC I am upright and all business.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
DiamondDecision
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2004, 07:03:21 PM »

The GamerDad article is interesting.  He says at one point that the golden age of PC gaming is over.  I agree and that's the reason I left the whole PC gaming scene.

I recall when PC Gamer magazine (and all the PC gaming magazines for that matter) were *thick*.  Now they're really, really small.  Advertising in PC gaming magazines has really, really dropped off.

I see more and more of my favorite gaming companies increasily developing for the Xbox (thinking of Bioware for starters).  And to top it off, rumors of Micro$oft buying Bioware are heavy.

If they add a keyboard and mouse to the next Xbox (which they'll HAVE to do for full MMO support) and with the processing power of the next Xbox, if the PC isn't toast yet, it sure will be by then.

I knew I had to switch when I saw KOTOR was coming out 6 months early on the Xbox versus the PC.  I said, that was enough! :-)
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2004, 07:08:28 PM »

I agree with stiffler in that each platform is for specific types of games, although I perfer the mostly Japanese developed RPG games of consoles over mostly North American developed RPG games on the computer (but I do play and love a lot of them).

There have been few FPS games on consoles that have stood up to the mouse/keyboard beauty of the PC in that genre.  Halo is probably the one that stands out the most though with trying to be somewhat equal.

I don't think the Xbox has killed PC gaming...in fact I think a lot of Xbox players are also hardcore PC players, but that's just my thought.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2004, 08:33:29 PM »

Quote from: "DiamondDecision"
And to top it off, rumors of Micro$oft buying Bioware are heavy.

That is all.
programmerbob
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2004, 05:06:49 AM »

I think it should not be about "system X"(in this case PC) is about to die. If you have a obsolete system with games that you and your friends play constantly because it is fun, it does not matter one bit that it's dead. Although me and the people I know are not particularly "graphics whores", it's all about gameplay.

--
Three things PC's have consoles beat at(which may or may not be solved in the next generation of consoles):

1. MMORPG
2. Free modifications to games(i.e. Counterstrike, Jailbreak, etc)
3. Massive FPS's (16-64 players at a time-i.e Battlefield 1942, UT2004, etc)

Xbox Live tag: joephis1
AIM/ESO Tag: UTBurner
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: