http://gamingtrend.com
October 26, 2014, 06:23:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is this the new Xbox 2 controller?  (Read 1941 times)
wonderpug
Gaming Trend Senior Member

hmm...

View Profile
« on: April 12, 2005, 01:33:03 PM »

Saw this thread over at Penny Arcade. (The poster didn't know if the pics were legitimate.)

Looks pretty ugly to me, but we'll see.
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2005, 01:54:23 PM »

Dreamcast lives?

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2005, 01:55:44 PM »

I seriously doubt it.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2005, 02:18:13 PM »

Saw those and started laughing. Other than being 9 kind of ugly, it looks less refined than the existing controller if that were possible. For some reason, the S-Controller works perfectly for me so why change it?

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2005, 02:31:15 PM »

For what it's worth, Gamespot has an article up claiming that this is a picture of the new controller, and a Shacker also claimed to have filmed an ad for MS featuring the controller shown.  Guess we'll just have to watch MTV to find out smile

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2005, 02:35:47 PM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
Saw those and started laughing. Other than being 9 kind of ugly, it looks less refined than the existing controller if that were possible. For some reason, the S-Controller works perfectly for me so why change it?

Well, for sure things will change because the black and white button will go up in the trigger areas ala L1/L2 and R1/R2 on the Playstation controllers.

If the wireless rumors are true, the controller would be a bit bulky simply for the batteries.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2005, 03:14:44 PM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"
Quote from: "whiteboyskim"

Well, for sure things will change because the black and white button will go up in the trigger areas ala L1/L2 and R1/R2 on the Playstation controllers.

If the wireless rumors are true, the controller would be a bit bulky simply for the batteries.

As I don't have a wireless controller, you'll have to clarify or correct my assumption on this. Don't existing wireless controllers have the battery pack right in the middle between the two hand grips, so that the bulk of the batteries isn't a factor in how you handle the controller?

Moving up to the shoulders through while maintaining the triggers? Huh?!?

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2005, 03:23:37 PM »

I don't own a wireless controller either.  As for the other thing, I was saying they will move the white and black buttons and put them by the L and R triggers...thereby making the controller more like the Playstation one that has R1/R2 and L1/L2 triggers.  This time it will probably be L/Black R/White or whatever.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2005, 03:50:02 PM »

I'm curious whether they're going to keep the triggers and add shoulder pads or replace the triggers with shoulder pads. I guess we'll find out soon enough, but it's curious that they'd go towards a PS controller variant. Although since they basically have Sony's nuts in a vice courtesy of the dual-shock lawsuit, it'd be strangely fitting if they wound up making a controller almost exactly like the PS one. biggrin

Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2005, 04:46:53 PM »

I think it'd be cool if the circular button smack dab in the middle of the controller there was a power button for the Xbox 360.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Cleric7

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2005, 04:57:28 PM »

No chance in hell !!!!!!!

Belive me, this is a decoy.

"All that is necessary for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing."
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2005, 05:13:44 PM »

Hope not!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2005, 05:19:19 PM »

Quote from: "Dafones"
I think it'd be cool if the circular button smack dab in the middle of the controller there was a power button for the Xbox 360.

I think that button is assigned to the /pizza command.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2005, 06:33:58 PM »

This controller matches all the current facts/rumors:

-iPod White (shown in images on Our Colony)
-Wireless
-Two additional shoulder buttons

I don't care for the pictured one at all.  I hate the shiny white.  I'd much prefer a textured finish (white is fine for a color) and I'd want the analog sticks to match.  

Personally, a white, wireless S-Controller would be fine by me.
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2005, 01:30:28 PM »

It looks like the prototype for the one we have now.
If it goes to that it is a step backwards.

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ()  ()  ()
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ()  ()  ()
PS3 Spinks
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2005, 02:13:04 PM »

The wireless controllers coming out for Xbox 360 are also supposed to support headsets (out of the box).

These pictures do not impress/dissuade me.

As far as the back / start buttons, bravo. The triggers sit higher than the S-Controller ones, so using your index fingers isn't impossible (although not as "familiar" as using your first finger) The shoulder (b/w) buttons are more accessible there than the alternative.

As to the battery location, that's par for the course; I'm wondering if it's a charging battery pack or is it AA time? 2/4 ? if it's 2 batteries, I'm hoping the controller isn't a bluetooth wireless; the power consumption of BT is horrid. 4 batteries means more weight in the hand.

Bear in mind; this is me entertaining the idea that this is legit. A couple years ago there was a startup company who built a decent wireless ps2 controller (we saw em at E3 in Kentia hall). I'd suspect this is their prototype of an Xbox S controller rather than a 360 controller as there is no visible difference other than 4 buttons being moved. It wouldn't surprise me that MS added buttons on the inside/bottom over going with shoulder buttons (so your pinky / ring / index fingers could trigger the 2 buttons, rather than moving your first fingers off the triggers).

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2005, 02:51:51 PM »

I hear they are going retro....

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Cleric7

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2005, 02:59:39 PM »

"All that is necessary for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing."
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2005, 05:26:45 PM »

As to the battery location, that's par for the course; I'm wondering if it's a charging battery pack or is it AA time? 2/4 ? if it's 2 batteries, I'm hoping the controller isn't a bluetooth wireless; the power consumption of BT is horrid. 4 batteries means more weight in the hand.

When I bought wireless controlles for all three consoles, I purchased a battery recharger and several rechargeable batteries. That way I've always got a set ready to go and I just swap them out when necessary- which isn't very often at all with my wireless PS2 Logitech and my
Wavebird (both of which only use 2 AA batteries).  I hated the Xbox Logitech so much that I'm back to using the S-controller.
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2005, 05:39:50 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: