http://gamingtrend.com
July 30, 2014, 04:03:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is there any new PC game like Panzer General?  (Read 1485 times)
jblank
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« on: June 20, 2007, 05:57:14 PM »

I have recently gotten back into the PG/AG games and was wondering if there has been a freshening of the series, or if there is a new game out that has taken the mantle of the hex based WWII games.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 06:41:52 PM »

Quote from: jblank on June 20, 2007, 05:57:14 PM

I have recently gotten back into the PG/AG games and was wondering if there has been a freshening of the series, or if there is a new game out that has taken the mantle of the hex based WWII games.

The only good, recent PG/hex like TBS that I recall is Hearts of Iron II. And I belive even it realeased at least 2 years ago.

[Edit] BTW Many who enjoy WWII tank warfare, did like the 2004 release called Codename: Panzers, Phase One.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 06:51:43 PM by kronovan » Logged
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 10:48:13 PM »

As a reminder, Shrapnel keeps updating their version of Steel Panthers 2, winSPWW2.  It can get pretty involved, but it's free.  The latest patch just came out last month.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 11:55:37 PM »

Hearts of Iron 2 is not really all that similar to Panzer General. For one thing, the scale is totally different. PG is an operational level game with battalion level units while HOI2 is a grand strategic level game with division level units. Also, HOI2 is a much more complex game where you have to deal with resource management. PG only deals with abstract prestige points. Really the only common thing they share is that both games are turned based WWII games. Other than that, they are completely different.

For something that is more like Panzer General, I think Matrix Games Battlefront is more similar. Steel Panthers is as well.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 03:50:54 AM »

HOI2 is also real time IIRC. OO has a rather large thread about a new Matrix game called Commander. PG on a much grander scale, but still not too complex. (Too lazy to link to it.)
Knightsabre
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2007, 01:27:00 AM »

jblank, there's a new game just released by Matrix called Commander: Europe at War.  I don't have it, but it seems that a lot of people who do are comparing it to Panzer General.  Might be worth taking a look at.  Also, there's another wargame by Matrix called  John Tillers Campaign series - that one I actually own, and so far I'm enjoying it quite a bit.  So you can take a look at those two, over at www.matrixgames.com

Xbox gamertag - Knightsabre1
Bibbity boppity, gimmee the zoppity.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2007, 02:44:59 AM »

Quote from: Knightsabre on June 22, 2007, 01:27:00 AM

jblank, there's a new game just released by Matrix called Commander: Europe at War.  I don't have it, but it seems that a lot of people who do are comparing it to Panzer General.  Might be worth taking a look at.  Also, there's another wargame by Matrix called  John Tillers Campaign series - that one I actually own, and so far I'm enjoying it quite a bit.  So you can take a look at those two, over at www.matrixgames.com

The game I was refering to above. Although the OO thread seems to be a bit negative and that maybe it isn't really PG at all.
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2007, 03:27:56 AM »

One other game series that might be of interest are the Combat Mission games. Info can be seen at www.battlefront.com. The games are a lot more tactical in nature than Panzer General. In fact the Combat Mission games have a very miniatures-like feel, with all 3d maps, individual vehicles and squads of infantry. There are no hexes or grids in the game. It's all free form movement. The games are simultaneous turn based, meaning you plot your moves at the same time as your opponent then press go and watch both sides' units move. There are three games in the series: Operation Overlord, Barbarossa to Berlin, and Afrika Korps. There is a 4th game in development, due to be released late July, called Shock Force that takes place in modern day Middle East. The series is very easy to learn and there is a lot of detail in the games.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2007, 09:27:00 PM »

*wipes some dust and cobwebs off thread*

If you like PG, you're probably looking for more of a "Beer and Pretzel" wargame (which was always the kind I liked, I wasn't quite up to the harder-core wargames).

The last big hex-based PC release I recall (that pretty much came and went quietly both on PC and XBox in 2005) was Shattered Union:
http://www.2kgames.com/shatteredunion/home.php

Reviews were mixed (to be kind  icon_confused), but if you're starved for this sort of thing, you might look for it in the bargain racks somewhere or on EBay.

Also, it's available on Steam and has been cut to $19.95 for now:
Shattered Union page at Steam Web site
http://www.steampowered.com/v/index.php?area=game&AppId=3960&cc=US

Back in 2003, Korsun Pocket got quite a few "Best Wargame" awards, and might be worth checking out (I don't know if it's Beer 'n Pretzels but it was supposedly fairly user-friendly):

Korsun Pocket page
http://www.ssg.com.au/KP.htm

Also, while it's not PC, the upcoming Panzer Tactics on DS is hex-based and something of a melding of Panzer General and Advance Wars, from what I can tell.

Lastly, I took some photos of my old game boxes of Panzer General, Allied General and each game's sequel's game boxes. I'll try to post a couple later. smile I get a little weepy that there was a time (1994) when a hex-based wargame like Panzer General could get serious PC Game of the Year consideration in major magazines.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 09:30:12 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: