http://gamingtrend.com
August 22, 2014, 04:10:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is the PSP really worth $250?  (Read 2307 times)
corruptrelic
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 04, 2005, 02:08:23 AM »

Looking at my n-gage, and then looking at the PSP, I'm seriously thinking of picking one up. Then I look at the price and say forget about it. You can buy a new ps2 AND a new gamecube for that insane price.
What happens if they drop the price in the next month?

Really though is a PSP worth $250? Couple of games interest me, Dynasty Warriors especially, and I'm looking at something to help replace my n-gage as a mobile gaming device. Even the nintendo DS has better graphics than the n-gage. Still though, n-gage games run anywhere between $2-$25 maximum and some of them can be played over the internet with other n-gagers.

Just looking for some more opinions out there to either lean me towards getting one or to help me save $250.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2005, 02:11:48 AM »

If the DS is worth $150 then the PSP is worth $250.

At the moment, I do almost all my gaming on my PSP and that's with the somewhat limited bunch of games.

For the first time ever I can play REAL sports games on a handheld.

Go for it!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
RightBastard

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2005, 05:11:56 AM »

You could always wait until the rumor that Sony'll release a non-bundled version for $200 is confirmed or denied.   How about the possiblity that Sony might price drop to take away some Xbox 360 thunder?  A little far-fetched, but maybe not?

I am amendable to criticism but only within the sphere of what I am trying to do.
Flannery O'Connor
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2005, 05:34:59 AM »

Right now, as an owner, I would honestly say no, it isnt worth the $250.  The majority of the good games out are ports from a better console version.  I was highly disappointed with the lack of games announced at E3.  Most of which are going to be more ports.  I would wait for a price drop.  I've been thinking about selling mine and pre-purchasing an Xbox360 instead.

<edit>
I was just thinking, since you said you are looking for something to replace your ngage, do you play more console or portable games?  If you play more portable games, I would say go for the PSP.

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2005, 01:14:25 PM »

Quote from: "corruptrelic"
Couple of games interest me, Dynasty Warriors especially

i'd strongly suggest you try before you buy - tho stunningly pretty, due to being unable to effectively control the camera, i found the psp version to be virtually unplayable...

imo, the psp, right now & for the near future, is pretty much a luxury item - fun if easily affordable, but no where near as 'indispensable' as, say, my gbsp's become...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2005, 03:50:54 PM »

Even though I'm very happy with my PSP (Wipeout Pure sure made my last 8 hour flight zip by), I'd say it's not really worth it yet.  I'd recommend waiting for some more games to come out, and keep an eye out for sales in the meantime.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2005, 04:17:18 PM »

I'd have to agree with wonderpug - I love the hardware and the few games I have are enjoyable, but I'm not sure if I love it enough right now to justify the $250 price tag.  The PSP is going thru a game drought similar to what happened with the DS after its launch, so until the next batch of killer games come out you'd be better off waiting for the price to drop.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2005, 05:21:00 PM »

Unless you're completely enamored with the current crop of games, I'd say no.  I just sold mine because I found I really never played it.  The lack of RPG's really drags the system down, imo.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2005, 06:07:42 PM »

Aye, I was really hoping some RPGs would be on the horizon, but sadly I'm not seeing anything of interest. I'm very tempted to sell mine, but I'll hold out a little bit longer.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2005, 07:43:41 PM »

I love mine, but then, it's the only console I have. Took the kids to their tutoring class this morning and sat in the car playing Hot Shots...the first time I've actually used it away from home.

I guess it depends on what you want out of it. Hardware-wise, I think it's hard to argue with. The screen is just amazing.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2005, 09:47:55 PM »

Quote from: "corruptrelic"
Just looking for some more opinions out there to either lean me towards getting one or to help me save $250.

It's great! Wanna buy mine? Tongue

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2005, 10:36:20 PM »

Sure, how's $25.00 sound, and I'll throw in an AWESOME N-Gage? :wink:

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2005, 12:17:58 AM »

Definitely not worth $250.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2005, 01:07:12 AM »

Wow - I'm kinda shocked you guys are pretty down on the PSP.

Oh, well - I still love it!

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2005, 01:39:14 AM »

Quote from: "Devil"

I'm not down on the PSP at all.  I think it really is an amazing system that seems capable of producing some truly fantastic games.  Problem is, there's no fantastic games to play so far, and none really on the near horizon.  A system is only as good as it's games, and the current crop is very lackluster.

I'm sure I'll rebuy one once the library is bigger and the price drops.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2005, 01:52:27 AM »

Definitely not worth the $250.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2005, 02:20:03 AM »

Quote from: "Devil"

I think most of us aren't saying we don't like it, just that we wouldn't give a whole-hearted recommendation to buy one until more top tier games come out, or are at least on the horizon.

Even if the PSP itself stays at $250 for a while, memory sticks and the current games are sure to drop in price in the coming months.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2005, 03:30:06 AM »

Thanks for the advice, I'm definitely going to hold off on the PSP for a while. That $250 is better spent on beer and strip clubs anyway  :lol:
Besides the n-gage is a decent mobile gaming device (not to mention phone) still has quite a few games coming out for it. Just picked up WWE Aftershock and Pocket Kingdoms (massive MMO) for the time being.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2005, 02:14:03 PM »

Ok, I'm changing my vote.  You should get a PSP now before you put any more money into N-gage games!
Vinda-Lou

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2005, 03:20:31 PM »

Wow, it's been a while since I posted here...

Anyway, I posted over at OO that I was bored completely with my psp, and even considered trading it in for a DS.  Then I put episodes of Family Guy and Mr. Show on a memory card, and I've stopped reading books.  I agree that the games are pretty few and far between right now, which is why I was going to trade it in, but the future looks pretty good, IMO.  Tons of movies and tv shows are coming out on umd (or whatever it's called), such as South Park seasons, other tv shows, and tons of movies.  Also starting this summer, the better games will begin to trickle out, such as Coded Arms, Ratchet, Death Jr. etc.  Also, the psp has a very active community that is working on emulators and such, so pretty soon there will be more games to play on it.  I knew if I traded away I would regret later as I watched from the sidelines.  

After all of that, I don't think waiting a few months would be bad, but neither would picking one up now.
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2005, 03:30:07 PM »

Not worth the money. Speaking as an owner and having around 10 games, not worth it. I wish it were, but the games just arnt good enough to warrent one yet.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2005, 03:45:38 PM »

That $250 is better spent on beer and strip clubs anyway

Didn't know this was an option...I'm changing my vote!!!  :wink:

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: