http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 07:00:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is the Gamecube dead?  (Read 1722 times)
jblank
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« on: January 22, 2007, 04:37:06 PM »

I've actually been considering getting one for our bedroom, just to do some light gaming, here and there, at night and stuff, and the price is attractive. I wonder though, if its completely dead, if its even worth bothering with, if nothing new is gonna come out for it, and the "library" is merely decent. Been about 3 years since I owned one, anyone got any info for me?

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 04:38:37 PM »

Deader than a door nail.  I think it's worth it for the back catalog but their ain't nothing new coming out of any note and, outside of Zelda and Chibi Robo, nothing really in the past year. 
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 04:41:08 PM »

Would the PS2 be a better purchase?

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 04:43:53 PM »

Quote from: jblank on January 22, 2007, 04:41:08 PM

Um. Yah. By a mile. Blockbuster titles are still coming out for it this year.

Blockbuster titles all over the catalog.

Yes. PS2. Yes.
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2007, 04:55:16 PM »

Amazingly, PS2's are still sold out all over my area. Thats impressive.

I might still jump on the Gamecube and buy Zelda, rather than buying a PS2 or a PSP. I'm thinking about it.

warning

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2007, 04:58:30 PM »

You could find a bunch of games for either to keep you occupied for awhile.

That said, the PS2 just has so many more games in its catalog that I'd have to say go with it.
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2007, 05:01:02 PM »

Quote from: warning on January 22, 2007, 04:58:30 PM

You could find a bunch of games for either to keep you occupied for awhile.

That said, the PS2 just has so many more games in its catalog that I'd have to say go with it.

For light gaming, as well as the occasional "Mario type" game, the GC just seems like a better choice. Can you still get Component cables for the Gamecube?

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2007, 05:02:45 PM »

why not just get the Wii, play the Gamecube games on it, and eventually get some Wii games down the road. In all reality the extra $150 is worth it. Of course there is the matter of actually finding one.

Otherwise PS2 is clearly a better choice for previous generation

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2007, 05:03:34 PM »

Quote from: Tebunker on January 22, 2007, 05:02:45 PM

why not just get the Wii, play the Gamecube games on it, and eventually get some Wii games down the road. In all reality the extra $150 is worth it. Of course there is the matter of actually finding one.

If I could find the damn thing, I would. I actually have a friend that manages a Gamestop, and HE can't even get me one. It's ridiculous.

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2007, 05:05:46 PM »

Quote from: jblank on January 22, 2007, 05:03:34 PM

If I could find the damn thing, I would. I actually have a friend that manages a Gamestop, and HE can't even get me one. It's ridiculous.

Then...WAIT!
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2007, 05:06:24 PM »

Lightyears better.

Unless you want a bunch of Mario-ish style kid games, PS2 owns all over it.  Granted, the Cube  has some good shit, and most of it can be purchased for $2-$10 these days.  But the library will only get you so far, especially if you don't like cartoon stuff.    I'd go GC over Wii at this point just because the best stuff on the Wii, are GC games, and the price difference is huge. (but I am cheap)

PS2 on the other hand, has probably a good 30-40 must-play games IMO.  Cube?  Maybe more like 10.  Run up to Costco and get a PS2.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 05:09:07 PM by Kobra » Logged

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2007, 05:18:12 PM »

Quote from: Kobra on January 22, 2007, 05:06:24 PM

Lightyears better.

Unless you want a bunch of Mario-ish style kid games, PS2 owns all over it.  Granted, the Cube  has some good shit, and most of it can be purchased for $2-$10 these days.  But the library will only get you so far, especially if you don't like cartoon stuff.    I'd go GC over Wii at this point just because the best stuff on the Wii, are GC games, and the price difference is huge. (but I am cheap)

PS2 on the other hand, has probably a good 30-40 must-play games IMO.  Cube?  Maybe more like 10.  Run up to Costco and get a PS2.

The nearest Costco is 110 miles away......seriously.

jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2007, 05:20:17 PM »

Quote from: ATB on January 22, 2007, 05:05:46 PM

Quote from: jblank on January 22, 2007, 05:03:34 PM

Then...WAIT!

I probably should have been more clear, I will have a Wii, eventually, and whatever I buy now, will transition to our 6 year old.

unbreakable
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2007, 05:21:29 PM »

IMO, you are better off getting a Wii and a Wavebird controller than getting a GC.  I haven't heard any issues about backward compatibility, so you are getting both a GC and a Wii.

[edit, just read above]  In that case, getting a GC doesn't seem like that bad an idea.  You can get a used one really cheap.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2007, 05:21:39 PM »

Quote from: jblank on January 22, 2007, 05:01:02 PM

For light gaming, as well as the occasional "Mario type" game, the GC just seems like a better choice. Can you still get Component cables for the Gamecube?

Component cables are very difficult to obtain.  First, at some point into the Cube's run, Nintendo stopped including the Component port, so you need to find a Cube that can even support the cables first.  And the cables themselves can no longer be obtained through Nintendo I believe, so Ebay is pretty much the only option for those unless you luck and find some used in a Gamestop. 
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2007, 05:23:28 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on January 22, 2007, 05:21:39 PM

Component cables are very difficult to obtain.  First, at some point into the Cube's run, Nintendo stopped including the Component port, so you need to find a Cube that can even support the cables first.  And the cables themselves can no longer be obtained through Nintendo I believe, so Ebay is pretty much the only option for those unless you luck and find some used in a Gamestop. 

CRIMINY!!!!!!!!!!! Ok, so I guess it's S-Video only huh? Do the new GC's come with S-Video cables?

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2007, 05:24:33 PM »

Quote from: jblank on January 22, 2007, 05:23:28 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on January 22, 2007, 05:21:39 PM

CRIMINY!!!!!!!!!!! Ok, so I guess it's S-Video only huh? Do the new GC's come with S-Video cables?

Pretty sure that they only come with Composite, but S-Video cables shouldn't be too hard to find separately. 
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2007, 05:26:25 PM »

Ok, thanks for telling me that Kevin.

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2007, 06:11:36 PM »

Quote from: Kobra on January 22, 2007, 05:06:24 PM

Lightyears better.

A bunch of Mario-ish style kid games is the only thing in the GameCube library?  Wow.  I guess Resident Evil 4, Killer 7, Eternal Darkness, the MGS re-make, the Star Wars Rogue Squadron games, the Metroid games, etc. are just kiddy games.   retard

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2007, 07:21:04 PM »

Isn't it going to be easier picking up a Wii in the coming months, or is that utter stupidity? How long can you wait, J?

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2007, 07:44:20 PM »

If it truly is one or the other and not both, buying a Gamecube instead of a PS2 is sheer, abject lunacy.
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2007, 07:51:38 PM »

As the proud owner of a Wii I've got a Gamecube with S-video cable and original wired controller I'm not doin' anything with if you're interested.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2007, 07:55:08 PM »

By roughly 1 billion times J. Seriously, don't bother with the Cube. The PS2 has a gajillion games for light play.
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2007, 09:25:47 PM »

The wife and I talked and instead of buying our son a GC (that I would use for the time being) we are just going to buy him a DS for his birthday in August. I will just wait on the Wii and get it as soon as one pops up. We both kinda feel that at 6 (turning 7 in August) a DS might be a good starting place for him, rather than a console (though he enjoys his V-Smile system), as there are probably going to be more interesting games on the DS for him to play with.

Thanks to all for your input and advice.

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2007, 09:44:56 PM »

Well if the DS was a third choice why didncha say so.

ELITE BEAT AGENTS!!!!!!!
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2007, 09:52:44 PM »

Quote from: ATB on January 22, 2007, 09:44:56 PM

Well if the DS was a third choice why didncha say so.

ELITE BEAT AGENTS!!!!!!!

Well we already have one in the family and thats what made my wife think that perhaps that would be the best way to go on this.

Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2007, 09:53:24 PM »

Quote from: CrayolaSmoker on January 22, 2007, 07:51:38 PM

As the proud owner of a Wii I've got a Gamecube with S-video cable and original wired controller I'm not doin' anything with if you're interested.

There you go.. Buy that.

FYI, some Radioshacks have old GC S-Video cables on the shelf priced at $24.99, but they scan at 97cents.  Seriously.  I picked up a couple just a few months ago from a local Shack.

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
unbreakable
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2007, 10:03:06 PM »

Brain Age is a must-buy.

That game is great, I would highly recommend it for anyone, but especially for kids.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2007, 12:21:44 AM »

The Gamecube had some really, really stellar games on it that you can't find on any other system (outside of Wii BC), but even still the PS2 would be a better purchase at this point.

Even if you find a Wii and use it for all its backwards compatible goodness (Pikmin 2, Paper Mario 2, etc.) - I'd still wholeheartedly recommend buying a PS2 anyways as it has tons of killer games that can be had for very little $$

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2007, 12:23:40 AM »

Quote from: jblank on January 22, 2007, 09:25:47 PM

The wife and I talked and instead of buying our son a GC (that I would use for the time being) we are just going to buy him a DS for his birthday in August. I will just wait on the Wii and get it as soon as one pops up. We both kinda feel that at 6 (turning 7 in August) a DS might be a good starting place for him, rather than a console (though he enjoys his V-Smile system), as there are probably going to be more interesting games on the DS for him to play with.

Thanks to all for your input and advice.

I'm late to the party on this post but I would have suggested waiting for a Wii and also getting a DS or even a GBA. Just for the reason that even though the PS2 has a large library of E-rated titles it doesn't have a lot of variety amongst them and not many of them are exclusives. Whereas the GC does, all of which can be played on a Wii.

The DS will also give him access to the GBA library which has an excellent variety of age appropriate titles. I'd recommend that when you pick-up your Wii to also purchase 2 GC wavebird controllers. There's a number of GC E-rated exclusives that he won't want to miss out on: Pikmin 1 & 2, 9 different Mario games, Legend of Zelda: WW & TP, Animal Crossing, Luigi's Mansion, Pokemon Coliseum and XD, etc... Not to mention that you and your wife will have a blast playing them too.  icon_wink
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2007, 12:43:39 AM »

I sure hope it is, then I can get cheap stuff off eBay for my GC. smile

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2007, 12:57:01 AM »

Quote from: Darren8r on January 23, 2007, 12:43:39 AM

I sure hope it is, then I can get cheap stuff off eBay for my GC. smile
Heh, my thought exactly. Although first I have to get a new system with the digital AV out as mine died 30hours into Zelda...

*sniff* *sniff*
I miss it already.  crybaby

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: